Family Plan Detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.
1005696_476403155769673_2130993106_n.png
Well, I was hesitant to bend over and let Microsoft fuck the consumer rights out of my asshole, but THE CARTOON FACES MAKE IT ALL OK NOW

Pure propaganda horseshit.

Last edited by a moderator:
People talk like "just wait man----MS has five months to figure this out before release" or "Sony has five months to introduce the same DRM" and it clearly shows the lack of business sense that these CAG posters have.

A company isn't going to add or remove anything major like this 5 months prior to release. These consoles are already in the manufacturing stage. Toyota doesn't say "I think we'll a moon roof and bose stereo system to our corrolla" 5 months prior to lineup hitting the sale floor.

What's done is done. It's pretty telling that MS doesn't want to come out lay everything out. It's also pretty telling that some of these dumbasses think Sony has some DRM scheme up their sleeve that they are going to mysteriously announce prior to the PS4 launch.

Also cute cartoon.... it fails to address the 30 day waiting period and any penalties that I'm sure MS will announce if people keep bouncing from one family group to another.

There is no 30 day waiting period for family share.

Regarding changing things... insiders have said Sony's DRM plan was literally changing by the minute at E3 after Microsoft's press conference.

As was Microsoft's, thus why no developer had a clue what either console really had planned. Publisher agreements still have not been made, so yes.. things still need to be finalized.

What your talking about is actual hardware changes to the systems. No, that clearly wont happen. They are already in production and even something as simple as say.. OC'ed the GPU would change yield levels dramatically, thus effect production, changing forecasts, etc.

looks like Sony will the only one not allowing game sharing.  not quite as good as the Microsoft plan (but then again, Steam has great sales to make up for it):

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/19/4444450/steam-could-allow-for-game-sharing-between-friends-in-the-future

Valve may be planning a new feature for digital download service Steam that will allow users to share their game library with friends, according to code spotted in the latest Steam client beta as reported by Kotaku.

Similar to Microsoft's plans for its Xbox One console, the Steam code suggests users will be able to share owned titles but will not allow users to play the shared games at the same time.

"Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit," reads a line of code for one dialogue prompt. Another reads: "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."

Valve is yet to officially announce sharing and it is unknown whether all developers will be required to allow Steam titles to be shared. We have contacted Valve for comment and will update when further information is made available.

looks like Sony will the only one not allowing game sharing.
You got a source for that statement? Also the article from polygon you linked is just speculation on steam sharing. "Steam could allow for game sharing between friends in the future - Polygon"

Dirtyvu could you stick to facts or at least a sourced rumor instead of spouting complete bullshit? Or would crazy things like the truth paint MS in a bad light? Maybe you're just ignorant? Let me educate you on a couple things real quick.

Sony has not said how the game sharing works yet for PS4. They haven't said anything about it. So I'm wondering where you get that "it looks like Sony will the only one not allowing game sharing"? 

IF Sony keeps it the same as PS3 (and again I dont know because they haven't told us), you can have one account activated on 2 consoles at a time. That means any game/s on that account can be shared without restriction at any time on those 2 consoles.

And since every PS4 game will have a digital release, your ridiculous xboxrocks pic makes no sense. With PS4 not only would you have the option to game share instantly digitally (just as you already can today with the PS3), you could also do it the stupid way the pic shows if for some reason you chose to do that. That pic is just showing lending games the same way it's been possible for the last 30 fucking years on every console ever...until now with the Xbox One.

Edit: And here we go. If you want some positive news about the Xbox One we may be getting it. Big rumors being reported about reversal of the DRM. Hopefully it's true. If so I need to save up another $500+ dollars now...

Edit: And here we go. If you want some positive news about the Xbox One we may be getting it. Big rumors being reported about reversal of the DRM. Hopefully it's true. If so I need to save up another $500+ dollars now...
http://youtu.be/Csr6ahk5RMg?t=1m10s

1:10 mark, probably saw Jimmy Fallon mentioning that and people cheering afterwards, and got spooked. :lol:

Dirtyvu could you stick to facts or at least a sourced rumor instead of spouting complete bullshit? Or would crazy things like the truth paint MS in a bad light? Maybe you're just ignorant? Let me educate you on a couple things real quick.
you want the facts?

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

Buy the way you want-disc or digital-on the same day: You'll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.

Access your entire games library from any Xbox One-no discs required: After signing in and installing,you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend's house, you can play your games.

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

GIVE YOUR FAMILY ACCESS TO YOUR ENTIRE GAMES LIBRARY ANYTIME, ANYWHERE: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. UP TO TEN MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY CAN LOG IN AND PLAY FROM YOUR SHARED GAMES LIBRARY ON ANY XBOX ONE. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend's house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. YOU CAN ALWAYS PLAY YOUR GAMES, AND ANY ONE OF YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS CAN BE PLAYING FROM YOUR SHARED LIBRARY AT A GIVEN TIME.

here's what was just added to the details:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

It's a "family" affair

Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members." Mehdi couldn't give comprehensive details but he did clarify some things.

For one, A FAMILY MEMBER DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A "BLOOD RELATIVE," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, THEY DON'T HAVE TO LIVE IN THE PRIMARY OWNER'S HOUSE-I COULD NAME A FRIEND THAT LIVES 3,000 miles AWAY AS ONE OF MY "FAMILY MEMBERS" Mehdi said.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/xbox-one-allows-you-to-share-games-with-ten-family-members-but-some-details

Xbox One allows you to share games with ten "family" members, but some details remain murky

I brought up the family sharing feature of the Xbox One during my recent conversation with Microsoft's Phil Spencer, and I stated that it's one of the nicer aspects of the console that not many people are talking about.

"You're going to help us with that?" he asked. I'd love to, but trying to pin down exactly how the system will work has proved tricky.
Multiple people, but at the same time?

The idea is that ten people in your family group can all share your games. Think of it like a loaning system, but you're not loaning anyone a phyiscal product. If you're in my family group, you can play my games, and vice versa.

"I think the policy makes sense," Spencer said. "It's not ten different people all playing the game concurrently, but when you think about a real usage scenario, and we thought about it around a family, and I know certain people will create a family group of people that aren't all part of the same family, and I do think that's an advantage, and people will use that. I saw it on NeoGAF instantly, the Xbox Family creation threads, where people said 'Hey be a part of my family.'"

"No birth certificates will need to be sent in!" Spencer said when I asked if the service required a blood test. "I do think that's an advantage of the ecosystem that we have."

So that answers one question: Microsoft doesn't seem to care whether or not the ten people in the group are actually family members. They can be friends, roommates, boyfriends, girlfriends, your dog's groomer... you pick ten people, and you share games with them.
The question is how many people can play the game at the same time. BSpencer told me he believed that two people can play one copy of a game concurrently, but he urged me to check Microsoft's official wording on the matter to be sure.

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-believers-513819282

Phil Spencer [Microsoft Games Studios VP] and I discuss the Xbox One's new family sharing option, which lets 10 members of a "family" share access to games. This seems to be the best thing of all the uncustomary new parameters that have been established for this new Xbox. In a family group, the HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD CAN ALWAYS PLAY ANY GAME; AND ONE OTHER MEMBER of the family, no matter where they are, can play too.

Kotaku: Can we be in the same family?

Spencer: Yeah.

Kotaku: What would be the limitation on that?

Spencer: [After encouraging me to check Microsoft's published document on this] I do think that sharing in a family group is an important part of the positives in our ecosystem today...You don't have to send in your birth certificate. You define what a family unit is and the people who connect to you and how that library works.

Really? Those are all the facts or just the ones you want to present?

What about having to wait 30 days before you're "part of the family"?

A company isn't going to add or remove anything major like this 5 months prior to release. These consoles are already in the manufacturing stage. Toyota doesn't say "I think we'll a moon roof and bose stereo system to our corrolla" 5 months prior to lineup hitting the sale floor.
I'd just like to say...

You were saying? ;)

That's only for "gifting" a game to a friend.

So as of now MS has no restrictions on joining and/or leaving a family and you don't think they are planning on adding those? This is the same company that charged ~ $5 to change your gamertag yet they are going to let people jump from one family to another without any waiting period?

Right...

That's only for "gifting" a game to a friend.

So as of now MS has no restrictions on joining and/or leaving a family and you don't think they are planning on adding those? This is the same company that charged ~ $5 to change your gamertag yet they are going to let people jump from one family to another without any waiting period?

Right...
That's not what you said.

Any idiot knows that odds are (we are assuming the family plan still lives after today's announcement...) that once you pick those 10, there are going to be restrictions. Either a once per year change, a monetary fee, or something.

However, creating the family wont have a 30 day waiting or a fee attached to it.

Again, assuming it's still in existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back