Fanatical Thread

Just want to throw this out for discussion...does anybody else feel like Bundlestars has been the best bundle site lately?
I couldn't find the post where he defended Bundlestars by telling warreni that his face should get punched, so here you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
655.gif

It's mostly for King's Bounty Crossworlds which was only in a higher end Humble a long time ago.

I'm not worried about it right now tho it'll be bundled again 4x. This is 1C Company.

still thinking of the master 2 bundle  now only if i knew  dumping supreme commander and jaggged would be easy  

No repeats for me -- and also no sale. .57 per game for these ancient titles just isn't appealing enough. There's no standout title in there for me.

Happy to pick that bundle up. Missed a lot of the Night Dive games I especially want (Deadlock, Colonization, DARKLANDS) but there're some goodies in there.

most of these old games are better on GoG.  They fix compatiblity and make sure that they work on modern system.  Steam version tend to have lots of issue with Win8 and x64 system

most of these old games are better on GoG. They fix compatiblity and make sure that they work on modern system. Steam version tend to have lots of issue with Win8 and x64 system
You're absolutely right, I should have bought the 5 out of 8 that are on sale on GOG's web site for a mere $15.00 (vs. BundleStars $4.00 for those and 3 additional games) because....GOG and I'm going to play them right away!

nicholascagelaughingreallyhard-1.gif

most of these old games are better on GoG. They fix compatiblity and make sure that they work on modern system. Steam version tend to have lots of issue with Win8 and x64 system
The Steam versions of these games are probably the same as GOG's.. GOG fixes them and then Nightdive puts them on Steam after the exclusivity contract runs out.

Gog white knights don't want to believe that.
there's no white knight for GoG.. I just speak from my personal experience. Most old games run horribly on Steam. the GoG version works well & GoG team make sure that their version is compatible. Case in point, Robin hood Legend of sherwood. Hell, on the Steam forum, they even link to the GoG patch to fix the game. What vex me the most is that Steam put games on sale but never bother to use the latest patch or put any effort into making sure that the game run.

tl,dr: Modern game, buy it on Steam. Old game, better off with GoG

there's no white knight for GoG.. I just speak from my personal experience. Most old games run horribly on Steam. the GoG version works well & GoG team make sure that their version is compatible. Case in point, Robin hood Legend of sherwood. Hell, on the Steam forum, they even link to the GoG patch to fix the game. What vex me the most is that Steam put games on sale but never bother to use the latest patch or put any effort into making sure that the game run.

tl,dr: Modern game, buy it on Steam. Old game, better off with GoG
ok and the steam version of sanitarium works better than the gog version

We can do this all day, white knight

[quote name="Drabelincoln" post="12238148" timestamp="1415929099"]Id have more GoG games if they offered more games that weren't cheaper on Steam. [/quote]
I was looking through the fellator's forum over on GOG to see the list of games that have been up for sale. Made it almost thru the whole list before I saw something on my GOG wishlist, Sanitarium for $2. Then realized it is already on Steam so I might as well use my GabeN bucks to get it on Steam during a sale
(sad trombone sound for GOG sale)

I was looking through the fellator's forum over on GOG to see the list of games that have been up for sale. Made it almost thru the whole list before I saw something on my wishlist, Sanitarium for $2. Then realized it is already on Steam so I might as well use my GabeN bucks to get it on Steam during a sale
I bought Sanitarium on Steam for 1.99 and it runs better than the GoG version.

I own the GoG and Steam version

I'm actually wondering if the Steam version of Sanitarium is using an updated version of the engine because it supports Steam achievements... which means someone actually put some thought into making it work with Steam instead of it being a standard Night Dive release.

If the other GOG games they sold had achievement support they'd get a lot more sales. Too bad many of them run off DOSBox and can't have achievements added because of that. It's probably too much trouble to modify DOSBox to work with Steam due to the source code licenses and stuff.

I'm actually wondering if the Steam version of Sanitarium is using an updated version of the engine because it supports Steam achievements... which means someone actually put some thought into making it work with Steam instead of it being a standard Night Dive release.

If the other GOG games they sold had achievement support they'd get a lot more sales. Too bad many of them run off DOSBox and can't have achievements added because of that. It's probably too much trouble to modify DOSBox to work with Steam due to the source code licenses and stuff.
Sanitarium is published by DotEmu, you can be sure it works properly.. You probably know this but DotEmu is similar to GOG when it comes to fixing old games.

Sometimes they get permission from the dev to add new features though, like they did with Another World. I think they added native 360 controller support for that, along with some other stuff that I'm too lazy to look up

Sanitarium is published by DotEmu, you can be sure it works properly.. You probably know this but DotEmu is similar to GOG when it comes to fixing old games.

Sometimes they get permission from the dev to add new features though, like they did with Another World. I think they added native 360 controller support for that, along with some other stuff that I'm too lazy to look up
Yeah it has cloud saving too....I need this version.... On the topic of this Wayback bundle I will pass as I only want Bloodnet. Most of the stuff I have already, sand some I just don't want.

Eh heh... hahahahhahahaha...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: Apparently they released a patch today for Metal Slug 3 two days ago that "fixes" all the issues, but I'm not holding my breath. They're a HORRIBLE COMPANY.

Also: This is still broken as fuck and they refuse to fix the set.

Edit 2: I was also mistaken on the MS3 patch release date. Fixed.

Eh heh... hahahahhahahaha...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: Apparently they released a patch today for Metal Slug 3 that "fixes" all the issues, but I'm not holding my breath. They're a HORRIBLE COMPANY.

Also: This is still broken as fuck and they refuse to fix the set.
Sigh. I can link you to gog games they refuse to fix.

Most people on steam don't seem to have issues with metal slug either.

And you should let it be known your like an admin on some gogwiki site so your immediately biased.

And you should let it be known your like an admin on some gogwiki site so your immediately biased.
... uh, you seem to be confused here.

I thought NightDive published Sanitarium on Steam - I was mistaken and corrected on that. And then Spoder said Dotemu was a good company, when they're not. While I admit that they can do good work, some of their products are halfassed ports that never get fixed (apparently Raiden Legacy has tons of audio and slowdown issues) and they keep ignoring people asking for fixes.

Lots of games that got transplanted from GOG to Steam don't get tweaked so they work properly with Steam and it is unfortunate. I have no problem with GOG games being sold on Steam, I just wish the publishers didn't make a halfassed effort of it.

Also I quit being a GOGWiki admin over a year ago. The site is in disuse and mostly abandoned anyway. The GOG forums are full of DRM Free, anti-Steam wackos and I would rather stay away from there.

... uh, you seem to be confused here.

I thought NightDive published Sanitarium on Steam - I was mistaken and corrected on that. And then Spoder said Dotemu was a good company, when they're not. While I admit that they can do good work, some of their products are halfassed ports that never get fixed (apparently Raiden Legacy has tons of audio and slowdown issues) and they keep ignoring people asking for fixes.

Lots of games that got transplanted from GOG to Steam don't get tweaked so they work properly with Steam and it is unfortunate. I have no problem with GOG games being sold on Steam, I just wish the publishers didn't make a halfassed effort of it.

Also I quit being a GOGWiki admin over a year ago. The site is in disuse and mostly abandoned anyway.
Where was I confused.

The biased comment.

I used to be a GOGWiki admin. I haven't been for a long time. I don't see how that makes me biased, all I did was create wiki accounts and research release info for the site.
If I did that for dotemu and said that the Gorky 17 release gog sells doesn't work and hasn't worked and they refused to fix it and they are horrible......

If I did that for dotemu and said that the Gorky 17 release gog sells doesn't work and hasn't worked and they refused to fix it and they are horrible......
... you're gonna have to look for another example. Gorky 17 hasn't worked right for many years. Hell, the game was broken back in the day too! I had a copy and could never get it to run on two different PCs, one with Windows 98 and one with XP Pro. :)

I was pretty surprised to see it pop up on Steam and I wonder how it runs there.

Gorky 17 doesn't work on GOG? I think I may have that on both Steam and gog.
The GOG version only works on XP and Vista. Something about 7 and upwards just doesn't let the game run right for a lot of people.

GOG actually says "this game only works on XP and Vista". Some folks have managed to get it to work on 7/8 but I don't know how.

... you're gonna have to look for another example. Gorky 17 hasn't worked right for many years. Hell, the game was broken back in the day too! I had a copy and could never get it to run on two different PCs, one with Windows 98 and one with XP Pro. :)

I was pretty surprised to see it pop up on Steam and I wonder how it runs there.

The GOG version only works on XP and Vista. Something about 7 and upwards just doesn't let the game run right for a lot of people.

GOG actually says "this game only works on XP and Vista". Some folks have managed to get it to work on 7/8 but I don't know how.
I'm with the Fox on this one. We know that GOG at least makes an effort on the older releases that are in or are added to the catalog. Steam is notorious for putting up stuff that flat-out won't work on a lot of systems (the old LucasArts games come to mind) and sticking with their "no refunds" policy in the face of it, because they're Valve and they can. I've never had to request a refund from either one but my suspicion is that the GOG operators would be much less bull-headed about it than Valve seems to be. Steam's policy of tossing up very old stuff and its strict caveat emptor policy means that a lot of people think three times before buying an older game on Steam (of course, some people have tons of cardz money floating around so they may not care as much).

Speaking of people who have amazing return policies, have I mentioned that Kan Gao is pretty awesome today? I bought Bird Story last night and may post a mini-review sometime this weekend. I seriously doubt that I won't enjoy it, but it's pretty remarkable in this day and age of getting nickel-and-dimed by developers of all stripes that this guy is willing to give you your money back for whatever reason if you don't like his game. That is a class act.

EDIT: And speaking of tossing up older stuff, Cinemaware just released its classic games in an anthology pack on Steam (several of these have been recently released as individual titles on GOG). Cinemaware is claiming that all of the games will run on Windows 7 or 8 systems; I'm curious as to how well they will. I got a copy of Amiga Forever for my birthday a few years ago and I was tinkering around with It Came From the Desert shortly thereafter. If you have a decent emulator, you can download most of these games directly from Cinemaware's website for free, but if not, this isn't a bad way to score some classic gaming goodness. If you're not excited by a Wings! remake, you can play the original in this pack, along with a bunch of Cinemaware's other games of yore like Front Page Sports Football, Robin Hood, and Sinbad the Sailor (the last one doesn't appear to have aged all that well).

bread's done
Back