Fantasy Football "Who Should I Start" Thread, 2013

Luckily for me, my opponent this week had a bunch of guys toss up utter duds, including Keenum and Jeffrey. I'm up about 40 points with Brown playing, Ridley and Dawson left to play. He has Bryant and Walker playing now, Decker and Moreno going tonight. I'm a little pissed that I sat Woodhead today, but hopefully, it won't matter.

EDIT: So, of course, Ridley fumbles early, which means I will likely get nothing from him. And Moreno scores a quick TD. I am clearly going to have to sweat this one out now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, 49ers!  I was up by 12 going into tonight's game but my opponent still had Morris going.  They shut him down, so I held on to win, improved to 7-5 (after a horrific 3-5 start) and clinched a playoff spot.  I'm tied for first in my division, but he has the tiebreaker against me, so for me to win the division, I'd need to win plus have him lose.  We'll see.  Either way, I'll have to play in the wildcard round because even as a division winner, I'd be the #3 seed.

I just can't believe I'm in the playoffs after the way this season started.  Unreal.

Until something changes (which I don't see happening), I think that any defense that goes against the Jets is a must-start. The Jet offense has almost no weaponry at the skill position, and Geno Smith is beyond awful.

Well I officially made the playoffs. I'll probably be last seed though. I only need to win the first round as teams in the divisional round all make their moneyback. My team has had been overwhelmingly inconsistent and littered with injuries. Some good moves have kept me in it but I'm going to need a little help from lady luck to make a push in the playoffs

I have Ivory as my flex this week since he has such a good match-up against the Dolphins. The only problem is there wont be an update on his status till Wednesday afternoon. Should I pickup Powell at the expense of losing Mendenhall off my bench just in case Ivory cant go?

Until something changes (which I don't see happening), I think that any defense that goes against the Jets is a must-start. The Jet offense has almost no weaponry at the skill position, and Geno Smith is beyond awful.
Yeah I'm now in the odd spot of rolling with Kansas City D on all four of my teams in the playoffs, or trying to cycle. They had been huge for me all year but now are down players and were in the negative this week.

Alright, Dolphins D it is. Where's everyone on N. Burleson? Should I start him ahead of W. Welker? I can't afford to get this wrong as WRs are now the backbone of my team. It's crazy that I'm down to relying on J. Gordon/A. Brown to carry my team. If they don't score 40+ points, it's practically a L.

Alright, Dolphins D it is. Where's everyone on N. Burleson? Should I start him ahead of W. Welker? I can't afford to get this wrong as WRs are now the backbone of my team. It's crazy that I'm down to relying on J. Gordon/A. Brown to carry my team. If they don't score 40+ points, it's practically a L.
I also have Wes Welker and Burleson and am considering starting Burleson. Right now, I think you have to stick with Welker. The weather in Kansas City looks pretty good on Sunday, so Manning should be in better shape. Plus Moreno might not play next week.

Should I start Burleson or Keenan Allen as my PPR flex? Also, should I pick up Josh McCown and start him over RG3 this week? The Vikings have a terrible defense and the Bears D can't stop the run so I imagine McCown could rack up a lot of points.

OK guys, I have a number of lineup decisions for this week that I could use some opinions on.

QB:  Andrew Luck (vs. TEN) or Carson Palmer (@PHI)?  I've used Luck as my starter all year, but he's only had two 300+ passing games all year, and has thrown either one or zero TD passes in each of his last three games.  Meanwhile, Palmer has gotten hot, going over 300 each of the last two weeks, and he's had 2 TD passes in 5 of his last 6 games.

RB: Chris Johnson (@IND) or Andre Brown (@WAS)?  I've got Marshawn Lynch back from his bye, so I need to decide which of these two guys to plug in at RB2.  Three weeks ago, I started CJ, and he gave me 8 points while Brown had 18 on my bench.  The next week, I switched it, so naturally Brown gave me 10 while CJ had 22 on my bench.  Had to start both with Lynch on his bye last week.  Really makes me wish my league used a flex.

WR: Victor Cruz (@WAS) or Jarrett Boykin (@DET)?  Again, I've stuck with Cruz as my starter all year, but he has become very unreliable, and he hasn't caught a TD pass since week 4.  Green Bay's QB situation makes me a little nervous about trusting Boykin, though.

DST: Baltimore (vs. PIT), Cincinnati (@SD), or Tennessee (@IND)?  I've rotated these three based on the weekly matchups, but I don't see any of these matchups being a slam dunk.  The Steelers have looked better offensively lately, but that might still be my best bet.  I'm a Steelers fan, though, and I want them to destroy the Ravens.  I'm leaning toward Baltimore, but hating myself a little for it.

Palmer
Brown
Cruz
Baltimore

Ok couple question for my lineup.

Better backup plan incase J.Thomas can't go on Sunday?

Fasono, Myers, or Z. Miller

Better kicker option?

Akers or Feely

Also picked up Powell to go with Ivory who I already have but his status is still up in the air. So I would need one flex player out of these options.

Ivory/Powell or K. Wright

Javery said:
Am I crazy to start McCown over Romo this week?
McCown against the Vikings in a dome throwing to his big physical targets like Jeffery and Marshall. I think McCown is a good start over Romo.

Im going with Foles over Ryan this week

Question:

TE's Olsen over Bennett?

And the 2RBs and Flex, Morris had a crummy game last week but is he worth starting over Murray vs. Oaky, Woodhead vs.Cin, and Bernard vs. SD. 

OK guys, I have a number of lineup decisions for this week that I could use some opinions on.

QB: Andrew Luck (vs. TEN) or Carson Palmer (@PHI)? I've used Luck as my starter all year, but he's only had two 300+ passing games all year, and has thrown either one or zero TD passes in each of his last three games. Meanwhile, Palmer has gotten hot, going over 300 each of the last two weeks, and he's had 2 TD passes in 5 of his last 6 games.

RB: Chris Johnson (@IND) or Andre Brown (@WAS)? I've got Marshawn Lynch back from his bye, so I need to decide which of these two guys to plug in at RB2. Three weeks ago, I started CJ, and he gave me 8 points while Brown had 18 on my bench. The next week, I switched it, so naturally Brown gave me 10 while CJ had 22 on my bench. Had to start both with Lynch on his bye last week. Really makes me wish my league used a flex.

WR: Victor Cruz (@WAS) or Jarrett Boykin (@DET)? Again, I've stuck with Cruz as my starter all year, but he has become very unreliable, and he hasn't caught a TD pass since week 4. Green Bay's QB situation makes me a little nervous about trusting Boykin, though.

DST: Baltimore (vs. PIT), Cincinnati (@SD), or Tennessee (@IND)? I've rotated these three based on the weekly matchups, but I don't see any of these matchups being a slam dunk. The Steelers have looked better offensively lately, but that might still be my best bet. I'm a Steelers fan, though, and I want them to destroy the Ravens. I'm leaning toward Baltimore, but hating myself a little for it.
Hmm, Id go with Johnson, Palmer, and Boykin

Need to know opinions on this quick. Should I go with Allen or Burleson this week.

Ethical question guys.

Do I tank this week, to let my best friend in the playoffs and shut out the hottest team?

Or do I put forth my best effort this week and possibly lose next week?

Im going with Foles over Ryan this week

Question:

TE's Olsen over Bennett?

And the 2RBs and Flex, Morris had a crummy game last week but is he worth starting over Murray vs. Oaky, Woodhead vs.Cin, and Bernard vs. SD.
I would go with Olsen over Bennett. Your RB/Flex choice is a tough one. I'd start Morris, Murray, and Bernard. Hard to leave Woodhead on the bench, but that's how I'd go.

Ethical question guys.

Do I tank this week, to let my best friend in the playoffs and shut out the hottest team?

Or do I put forth my best effort this week and possibly lose next week?
How would winning this week set you up to lose next week? Would you be matched up against the hottest team in the playoffs if they make it in instead of your friend? My internal ethical compass is forcing me to say you should never tank, set your lineup to win like you would any other week, but I'm someone that Boy Scouts roll their eyes at and make fun of for being too much of an ethical goody-two shoes, so take that for what it's worth.

Win and I have a chance, lose, I'm out for sure.

QBs - Nick Foles or Tom Brady? Foles has been the hot hand, but Brady seems to have also gotten his head out of his own ass finally after two good starts in three weeks. Leaning Foles, but all the expert rankings seem to be disagreeing with me.

That said, find it funny how the year I finally draft Brady and he does terrible for a good portion of the year hurting my one fantasy team (although drafting Spiller, Bradshaw, and Julio Jones didn't help). Following my own flawed logic, next year, I'll have a team where I draft nothing but Patriot players. It can only stand to benefit my Dolphins team, right?

How would winning this week set you up to lose next week? Would you be matched up against the hottest team in the playoffs if they make it in instead of your friend? My internal ethical compass is forcing me to say you should never tank, set your lineup to win like you would any other week, but I'm someone that Boy Scouts roll their eyes at and make fun of for being too much of an ethical goody-two shoes, so take that for what it's worth.
My thoughts are eye on the prize. If tanking this week will give you a more favorable match-up in the playoffs then do what is best for winning the league. Just don't be upset when the fantasy gods punish you with a beat down!

Thanks guys, I am going to watch the scores and play hard today, because most of my heavy hitters play on Sunday.

Plus, if my opponent wins, I drop to 2nd seed, and the third place team has been destroyed with injuries and has lost 4 straight. Win or lose this week he stays in 3rd. He is projected for about 80 points, and as a league we average 120 points a week. SUcks for him, but may work out for me.

Here's for the loss Sunday!

Win and I have a chance, lose, I'm out for sure.

QBs - Nick Foles or Tom Brady? Foles has been the hot hand, but Brady seems to have also gotten his head out of his own ass finally after two good starts in three weeks. Leaning Foles, but all the expert rankings seem to be disagreeing with me.

That said, find it funny how the year I finally draft Brady and he does terrible for a good portion of the year hurting my one fantasy team (although drafting Spiller, Bradshaw, and Julio Jones didn't help). Following my own flawed logic, next year, I'll have a team where I draft nothing but Patriot players. It can only stand to benefit my Dolphins team, right?
I'd go with Brady. Foles has been hot lately, but the Cardinals D has been good, too. Only 2 of the last 7 QB's to face them have put up 20+ fantasy points; the other 5 QB's averaged around 11.

Dang Murray and Megatron did some damage today!
Yup. It's a good thing I locked up a playoff spot last week, because I'm in the process of getting absolutely destroyed this week. My opponent and I both had 3 starters play yesterday, and I'm currently down 59-5. I got a nice round zero from Jarrett Boykin, 2 points from Shaun Suisham, and 3 from the Ravens DST. He got 30 from DeMarco Murray and 20 from Torrey Smith, plus 8 from the Raiders DST. It could have been even uglier; he had Justin Tucker and Joique Bell (20 points each) on his bench.

So it looks like I'll be finishing 7-6, and as either the #5 or #6 seed as a wildcard. After my 3-5 start to the year, I'll take it without complaint.

Good thing I am almost guaranteed a playoff spot, because my opponent this week had Stafford, Bush, and Tucker yesterday, while I got a nice, fat zero from Boykin, due to the awesome play of Flynn and the Packer offensive line. I also had to sit through the scare of Megatron potentially being injured. The only joy I got yesterday was from ALL the people who ran to pick up and start Flynn...

Alright guys. Help get me a win!

QB: RG3 vs Giants, Kaepernick vs Rams, or possibly even pick up Carson Palmer @ Eagles? RG3 might actually try for something besides screens this week which would be nice, but Palmer's been hot so I'm really considering taking my chances with him.

WR3: Amendola @ Texans, or Hartline or maybe Rishard Matthews @ the Jets? I have Pierre Garcon and Cecil Shorts as my other starting WRs. Amendola hasn't been doing much at all this year and was just about non existant last week. Meanwhile Brian Hartline has averaged 5 catches the past few weeks and is going against the Jets. Matthews has a better chance to score than Hartline though, IMO, but might not do much else. Also, non-PPR. Yahoo league

I'd say grab Palmer and start him this week.  He has been quite hot, and it's a nice matchup.  At WR, I think I'd go Hartline over either Amendola or Mathews.

I'd also go with Mendenhall over Ivory or Wright.  Jeffery or Garcon is a tough call; my gut is telling me Jeffery.  Then again, my gut also told me to sit Victor Cruz this week and start Jarrett Boykin in his place, so take that for what it's worth.

I'd also go with Mendenhall over Ivory or Wright. Jeffery or Garcon is a tough call; my gut is telling me Jeffery. Then again, my gut also told me to sit Victor Cruz this week and start Jarrett Boykin in his place, so take that for what it's worth.
Wishing I put Jeffery in both my leagues as Garcon was a concern earlier in the week remember about his ankle. Thankfully, I also had Josh Gordon in the lineup, so while I missed out on 30+ and 53 points on my bench between the two leagues, I should win both fairly easily. Also had Tate's 33 on my bench, but it's impossible for him to get in my lineup.

I like how this week is the first time I've benched Eric Decker all year.
The guy I am about to beat out for the last playoff spot had Decker on his bench. If he played him, I probably would be done. I am betting Decker was on on a lot of benches this week, except in the deeper leagues.

Crap I should have started Morris over Woodhead.....
Woodhead is becoming very frustrating to deal with. Last 4 games, he has alternated between good and awful, after he was very consistent to start the season. I am pretty thin at running back, but I might still have to look elsewhere next week.

So my playoff hopes are now down to the Seahawks kicker getting 11 points or less tomorrow night. I could still end up either the third or sixth seed or completely out. If I win I am the third seed if I lose I need some help getting in.

Well, everything broke right and I grabbed the 2nd seed with a bye. lol. I can't believe it. Also, damn that Adam Schefter. He reports that J. Reed was coming back and so I started him. I was pissed when it was reported that he would be out again.

Ok ended up the third seed in my league at 8-5. Problem is the sixth seed has given me two of those 5 loses.

Need some early advice this week since it involves the Thursday night game.

Stafford or Wilson

Akers, Feely, or Lindell

Panthers or Texans

Ivory, Wright, Burleson, or Mendenhall-(flex non-ppr)

Thanks

Got the 5th seed, but I think I would have preferred the 6th. The 3rd seed has been struggling, and I am stuck playing the guy who smoked me this last week. Anyways, I have a LOT of issues going into this week.

Woodhead has been up and down the last 4 weeks, and I don't necessarily love the match-up against the Giants. Their defense has looked a lot better recently, and even in their worst game of late against the Cowboys, they still had a stretches where they looked good. Plus, I also have Allen, and he's pretty much become a must-start now, so I'll really hate to put all my eggs into the San Diego basket.

Unfortunately, here are my other running back "options"...

Montee Ball

Stevan Ridley

Andre Ellington

Brandon Bolden

I would love to start one of the Pats' running backs against a Browns defense that looks like they are ready to pack it in, but who knows if Ridley will suit up and get significant touches. Even if he doesn't, Bolden barely got any burn last week. Ellington was hurt last week, and Mendenhall played well, so that should further cut into Ellington's touches. Ball, sadly, might be the best of my reserves...

I am also considering benching Boykin for Cecil Shorts. That GB line was embarrassing on Thanksgiving, and Flynn looked lost. But I HATE Thursday night players, especially when they are not top-tier guys. I constantly get burned by going with players on TNF.

I've 99% made up my mind as to which QB to start but I'm curious what everyone thinks:  Cam Newton @ New Orleans or Russell Wilson @ San Fran?  Both tough environments to play in.

R. Wilson should be a sit this week. Niners and Seahawks games have never been high scoring affairs.
Thanks pretty much what I was thinking too. Both QBs have been playing well of late and the Panthers seem to be on a bit of a roll so I'll stick with Newton. Playoff time!

bread's done
Back