Fantasy Football "Who Should I Start" Thread, 2013

Yeeeaaah, Finley is almost certainly done for the year. McClain on the Ravens took 10 months to get back on the field for a game with a very similar injury, and there was a point at which they thought he would never play again. Hopefully for him, Finley's injury is not as severe, but I doubt you see him on the field anytime soon.

Alright, pick 2 out of 3: Mike James/J. Gordon/K. Thompkins.

Picking C.J. Spiller and A. Morris with my first two pick has really kill me this year. I don't even know who Mike James was until D. Martin got hurt and yet I'm needing him to be good; like 10 points good because then he's already a better start then Spiller.

Ouch!  I swear I heard concussion at first, but spinal bruise just sounds nasty.

He's gone for Helu. How terrible is it that I want to start Helu over CJ Spiller. Spiller just needs to heal, but won't get off the ankle :dunce:

I'll be a total ass if he steps up this week, but the guy needs a bye week.

Got Mike James at flex he can cover until Murray comes back or Bernard isn't on bye.

WR filler Jennings or Mike Williams? What about the number 2 back on Detriot, Durnham?

Last edited by a moderator:
So does everyone think Shorts will be a better option this week than Lafell or Cooper? Shorts seems to be going up against the toughest defense of the three and is the most banged up at this time.

p.s.

Hankerson is also available in my league.

Alright, pick 2 out of 3: Mike James/J. Gordon/K. Thompkins.

Picking C.J. Spiller and A. Morris with my first two pick has really kill me this year. I don't even know who Mike James was until D. Martin got hurt and yet I'm needing him to be good; like 10 points good because then he's already a better start then Spiller.
Ouch. Tough match-ups make this a pick your poison scenario. I'm actually betting on the Panthers D, but in your case I'd take Mike James to start, since he is an unknown quantity. Hope he can get a short-yardage TD. I'm expecting low points tonight, so don't count on yardage. For the WR's, I like Josh Gordon over Thompkins, but only because I'd roll the dice. Neither one has a good match-up, the Dolphins D is well ranked against WR's, but the Chiefs D is so much more explosive. Gordon is a play-maker who can get free from a corner, but he does have Jason Campbell throwing him the ball. Meanwhile, if you take away that last second TD against the Saints, Thompkins would be below 3 points for 3 straight weeks. Gordon gets more targets generally, Thompkins loses them as more people get healthy.

Got Mike James at flex he can cover until Murray comes back or Bernard isn't on bye.

WR filler Jennings or Mike Williams? What about the number 2 back on Detriot, Durnham?
Mike Williams is questionable for tonight. Neither Durham nor Jennings has done anything spectacular, but I'd play Jennings simply because it's against his old team in GB and that has a more interesting angle. He's out there trying to prove something.

So does everyone think Shorts will be a better option this week than Lafell or Cooper? Shorts seems to be going up against the toughest defense of the three and is the most banged up at this time.

p.s.

Hankerson is also available in my league.
I know I recommended Shorts before, but I'm going to do it again. Reasoning? Targets. With the exception of week 6 when he left with an injury, he has had the ball thrown at him 10+ times every single week. That's the best on paper reason. The variable maybes are things like "SF is playing a noon game @ Jax. Those west coast teams playing on what is 9am to their body clock tend to start slow, as happened to Seattle a few times earlier this year. Also, the Jaguars throw a ton cause they are always behind and can't run the ball.

LaFell is an option if you are betting on the big play. He only gets 4-5 targets per week, and again minus one big play (the long TD bomb), he'd be sub 5 points for three straight weeks. Not a yardage guy, bet big - win big. In Philly, Vick is back at QB, and Cooper's best weeks came Vick was out. So he could continue to play well, and he could equally not. Hard to tell, another bet play. Don't go after Hankerson, he's actually the most hurt (foot injury, no practice) and sub-five points since week 1.

Who should I start in my FLEX? It's PPR

DeAngelo Williams
Steve Smith
Man, that's tough. DeAngelo probably, and hope they load up on swing passes or check-down plays. Steve Smith has been good recently, but will probably draw a lot of Revis. Williams hasn't seen the endzone yet, but he can catch out of the backfield. I'm guessing more of the close tight game, so DeAngelo.

Whew. That's a lot of work avoidance. I got Boykins in my FLEX, with my only other options being Gio Bernard or Steven Jackson. I think I'm set there. If Percy Harvin comes back soon, I'll have to make a cut. Here's my chopping block (in order), who should be voted off the island?

Coby Fleener (safe until week 10, I have VDavis on BYE week 9)

Steven Jackson (other RB's are AP, Forte, Gio and Le'Veon)

Roddy White (hurt hurt hurt, other WR's are Colston, Blackmon, K.Allen, Boykin, Harvin)

Jarrett Boykin (unknown quantity, depends on this week and James Jones return time)

Awesome analysis, Lord_Kefka.  I knew there were a few unanswered questions in here, so I was coming in just now to post my own opinions on them.  FWIW, I agree with your picks and reasoning on each of them, so consider that one more vote that way on each question. (and now I feel it was somehow arrogant of me to compliment your analysis, ha ha)

As for your own question, I guess a lot of it hinges on Boykin.  If he starts giving steady production, (and depending on what happens with Harvin) you're pretty deep at WR, so in that case, I'd cut White loose.  If Boykin and/or Harvin don't pay dividends, I guess Fleener would be the one to go once he's covered the bye for you.  Lots of what if's there, but it is what it is, right?

I just made a trade for Steven Jackson as I'm desperate at RB. Should I go with DeAngelo Williams tonight or S-Jax?

DeAngelo Williams vs. Steve Smith is going to be a toss-up IMO.  I have Williams and keep him either in RB or FLEX position as a compliment to my QB (Cam Newton).  He's been good for at least 7 points (ESPN scoring) every week.  The downside to him is that the playcallers tend to go with Tolbert in short yardage situations, especially near the goal line.  They'll dial up Smith's number at least 5 times a game but he hasn't been as reliable compared to seasons past with a couple of drops that should have been easy TDs.  

Tampa Bay's defensive yardage is dead last through the air and first in the entire league on the ground.  I'd be inclined to go with Smith for that reason alone but the Panthers are all over the map in terms of offensive reliability.

Waiver wire bid period came and went, and Marvin Jones is still sitting out there for taking. I am definitely intrigued, but not sure I have anyone I would want to drop for him. The top candidate right now is Tavon Austin. He's done next to nothing this season. Take away his Week 2 performance, and he truly has done nothing. But maybe, now with Bradford gone, they will make an effort to get the ball to him on short routes and handoffs and try to let him make something happen.

Does anybody know why fumbled snaps by the QB don't count as sacks for the defense? Tampa Bay has fumbled two snaps so far and at first I get credited one point for a sack than it is removed.

Tavon Austin has been such a bust all year.

In my money league someone traded me Fitz for Roddy White so I'm hoping I get some WR production for once!

Got a waiver claim in for L. Miller which will hopefully clear in the morning. My question is should I drop it for P. Hillis? Looks like Jacobs is going to be out again this week and Hillis would get the goaline and third down looks over M. Cox.

Missed out on my claim for L. Miller and ended up with C. Ivory instead. Between him and P. Hillis who would start as a flex this week?

If you need a bye week filler, and Ellington is still available in anyone's league, pick him up. Mendenhall is doubtful, and Alfonso Smith is pretty banged up, too.

Awesome analysis, Lord_Kefka. I knew there were a few unanswered questions in here, so I was coming in just now to post my own opinions on them. FWIW, I agree with your picks and reasoning on each of them, so consider that one more vote that way on each question. (and now I feel it was somehow arrogant of me to compliment your analysis, ha ha)
Thank you Danimal. I appreciate that, and also your recommendation to start Gio over LeVeon a few weeks ago. Helped me win that matchup. I did mess up one thing however, SF vs JAX is in London this week. It's a variable that could mean nothing, but I had cited that under the "west coast teams don't play well early AM on the east coast". The London games have been good for big performances though, I'd still roll with Shorts.

Does anybody know why fumbled snaps by the QB don't count as sacks for the defense? Tampa Bay has fumbled two snaps so far and at first I get credited one point for a sack than it is removed.
I was wondering the same thing myself. I thought those would be sacks under default NFL scoring, but on the play by ball they called them fumble recoveries for the offense. It's an odd book-keeping thing I guess.

Tavon Austin has been such a bust all year.

In my money league someone traded me Fitz for Roddy White so I'm hoping I get some WR production for once!
That's a steal. Fitz is at least on the border of healthy, Roddy has done nada this year. I'm worried about that guy and will probably drop him outright. Which sucks, cause he was my (equivalent) end of third round pick. (I had pick #36, took Chris Johnson and flipped him for White)

Missed out on my claim for L. Miller and ended up with C. Ivory instead. Between him and P. Hillis who would start as a flex this week?
That's a toughie. Ivory had all the preseason hype, the talk of being the feature back, the "eye test" as they said. And what happened? The same thing that always happens, an injury. So while he can put up those kinds of numbers, he's always a risk. He was also going against NE, middle of the road run-defense since losing Wilfork in the middle. Next game is on the road against a tough Cincy defense. Hillis got off the couch and played OK, his numbers inflated by a short TD run. The Philly match-up might be a little easier. His YPC was terrible though. I'm not sold on either one. Honestly, the best guess is to say "who is going to fall behind first and have to give up on running?" In that light, I see Philly with Vick back under center limiting Hillis' carries. The Jets defense is good.

I think I am going with Hillis over Ivory as my flex this week. It looks like Powell will be more active in the Jets running game than I originally thought. So that means less work for Ivory even though nfl.com has him projected for big points. If anyone wants to talk me out of it I am all ears.

My opponent just picked up Ellington I am hoping it doesn't bite me for not picking him up when I missed out on Miller from the dolphins.

Who should I start in my flex? It's point per rush attempt and 1 point per 5 yards rushing/receiving. Also PPR.

Roy Helu
Kendall Hunter

I have Gore as my RB2 but they're playing JAX in London so I think bother Gore and Hunter could get me good points.

Oh, those are potentially both really good options. As you mentioned, the 49ers will likely blow Jax away and be controlling the ball, so both Gore and Hunter should get lots of touches, similar to their game against the Rams earlier this year. But the Redskins could very well be down a couple of touchdowns to the Broncos, and in that case, they will go to their no huddle offense, and Helu won't come off the field.

Crap I dropped Andre Brown for Peyton Hillis and thought I would be able to pick him right back up after this weekend but somebody claimed him.

Crap I dropped Andre Brown for Peyton Hillis and thought I would be able to pick him right back up after this weekend but somebody claimed him.
Sucks, but you never know. Brown is really a speculative move. I have had him stashed in my IR slot since the start of the year, so I definitely hope I get something out of him, but it's no guarantee. For one, obviously, there is no telling yet if he's really healthy. Yeah, he's running and practicing, but that doesn't mean he'll be able to just handle 20 touches right away. And if the Giants continue to spiral out of control, the Giants will probably want Wilson, when he comes back, to handle the load, so that they can see what they really have in him and if he can truly be a feature back. And of course, there is Brown's injury history. To say he is injury-prone would be a massive understatement.

Looking for a second RB this week. Trying to decide between Zac Stacy (vs Seattle) or Roy Helu (@ Denver). Seeing the advice from above makes Helu an intriguing option and picked him up earlier in the week. While Stacy performed well against the Panthers last week, with the Rams questionable QB situation, it has me skeptical on Stacy this week.

JStryke said:
Looking for a second RB this week. Trying to decide between Zac Stacy (vs Seattle) or Roy Helu (@ Denver). Seeing the advice from above makes Helu an intriguing option and picked him up earlier in the week. While Stacy performed well against the Panthers last week, with the Rams questionable QB situation, it has me skeptical on Stacy this week.
I would go with Stacy I think with Bradford out the Rams will be running more and with Stacy being able to pick up blitzes he will be out on the field most of the time.

Still torn between Hillis and Ivory anybody want to sway me one way or the other?

God, another game where Belichick has decided to not play Ridley at all through the first quarter. What did he do this time? He scored 3 TDs in the last 2 games. At least when he fumbles, you understand him being in the doghouse. Now, I don't know what the deal is anymore...

I'm trailing our leagues Taco right now and I'm seething.  I'm watching Colston continue to suck and Blackmon not get the ball.  I am losing all faith in WR, should I pull Boykins from FLEX for Gio Bernard or Steven Jackson?

I picked up Alex Henry. Outside of the Viking game, the Giants have given up a ton of points all year. Shutting out the Eagles...wonderful...they couldn't do this earlier in the year and not fall to 0-6?

Conversely, Ridley finally saw the field again and produced. He literally didn't touch the ball in the 1st quarter, but he still has 70 yards and a TD.

God dammit Jimmy Graham.  ESPN reporting an hour before game time that he is OUT so I took him out of my line-up and he goes batshit.  I almost never watch TV in the morning but my in-laws were visiting so it was on - any other week and I never even would have heard the report.  I'm so pissed.

Megatron, Welker and Morris had great games only down by 30 pts. Hopefully Seattle's D, Jennings, and my kicker can pull this off. I wish Ryan had played better

I'm down by 21 with Marshawn Lynch and Jarrett Boykin still to go for me, and my opponent still has Eddie Lacy.  Not sure what I would put my chances at, but better than I thought they'd be coming into this week.  If I could steal a win this week with 3 of my regular starters on a bye while my opponent isn't missing anyone, that would be sweet.

My receivers killed me this week. Blackmon, Garcon, Decker, Garcon.....nothing.

Gore did great, Morris got a TD, I still got Lynch to go.

Those damn receivers....

Do you think Jones is worth going after for week 10 against the Dolphins? I need to cover a couple of my receivers bye-weeks.
Clearly. Jones has established himself as the number 2 receiver in Cincy. Three strong weeks in a row now. Doubtful that he is just gonna disappear about these performances.

I'm down by 21 with Marshawn Lynch and Jarrett Boykin still to go for me, and my opponent still has Eddie Lacy. Not sure what I would put my chances at, but better than I thought they'd be coming into this week. If I could steal a win this week with 3 of my regular starters on a bye while my opponent isn't missing anyone, that would be sweet.
HAHA, I have Lynch and Boykin left, too, but I was tied heading into this one, and my opponent only has Jennings, Lucky for me, I was playing the worst team in the league this week, because I got a bunch of duds from Alex Henry, Tony Gonzales, and Nicks, who I wasn't expecting huge things from, but I was at least optimistic considering he torched Philly last time they played. I also keep starring at Ellington sitting on my bench.

I did make ONE good move this week. Picked up the Oakland DST at about noon. Ended up getting me some decent points.

Playing one of the worser teams in the league this week, I liked my chances, even with Forte on bye. Instead, his defense scores him 24 and he got insanely lucky with Patterson for the Vikes with that kickoff return for a TD. And for me, I had Bernard and Witten combine for 5 points and Charles missing part of the game with an injury.

Now, I'm down 2, with Russel Wilson left vs his Marshawn Lynch. The gods are making me sweat this one out when no sweating should have happened to begin with.

Yeah I think I am going to go for M. Jones hopefully I can got him. If not him I think I will try for K. Stills.
Stills is not a terrible pick-up, but he is very "big play" dependent. He doesn't get many targets in that offense, so if he doesn't catch a long pass for a TD, he could very well give you nothing at all.

I need a backup QB for the long run....maybe even fill in for Ryan. Here are my options Big Ben, Campbell, Glennon, or Palmer. I'm pissed I dropped Dalton a few weeks ago

I have two leagues:

League A: more of a pride league, $20 in.  AP, Forte, RG3....I've kept healthy in this tough year, had great matchups.  I scored 60 something points and lost to our league Taco who was 1-6 going in.

League B: ravaged by injuries (Vereen, SJackson), and bad performances (DRichardson, Myers, Rudolph, Wallace).  Hell, Josh Freeman was my drafted backup QB.  I picked up Ellington a few weeks ago and Marvin Jones this week (who I'd been recommending here) and I just scored 140+ with Lynch yet to play against our juggernaut 6-1 team.  He scored 120+ in the loss. 

I love/hate fantasy football.

Geez, am I glad I didn't need a big game out of Lynch. This game is beyond ugly, and for whatever, there have been stretches where Lynch hasn't seen the field. Wonder if he tweeked something. Would have liked to continue my streak of triple-digit weekly scores, but I will just be happy to escape with the win and move to 6-2.

bread's done
Back