Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Lockout is Over Version

Maybe I"ll gamble and snag the bears

So Vernon Davis over Fred Davis? SF plays AZ and WA plays DAL...it could be a toss up. In the past few weeks Fred Davis has been way more productive

[quote name='kube00']Maybe I"ll gamble and snag the bears

So Vernon Davis over Fred Davis? SF plays AZ and WA plays DAL...it could be a toss up. In the past few weeks Fred Davis has been way more productive[/QUOTE]

I think so. Isn't Vernon Davis one of those beasts that you have to start regardless of the matchup?

Someone dropped Vernon Davis the other day and hoping I get him off waivers. Think he would be better than Dickson or Pettigrew. But I don't think he's one of those beasts you always have to start. He was just hot for awhile and then sucked and finally had another decent game last week. He has a decent match up this week though against AZ.

I like Fred Davis since they don't really have anyone else to throw to (nor a capable running game), but Grossman is back and don't know if that's good or bad. I would probably go with Fred given the chance but think Vernon will do close to the same.

[quote name='Chitown021']I'm also a Bears guy so I hope starting their D works out well for you. As far as a third WR Avant might not be a bad play if Maclin ends up not playing. That's funny Kasay was dropped in your league. In my league someone dropped Novak so another team dropped Kasay to pick up Novak.

I hope Ballard does well this week. He's my spot start in place of Owen Daniels who's on bye. Not that Daniels has really lit the word on fire. Since the first few weeks he's really been a letdown.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm hoping they do well too (both on my team and against GB). Kickers, I never know who I'm supposed to hold on to. I usually just draft Robbie Gould and run with him the entire season, but someone beat me to him this year. I'm just panicking a hair with my team because I had ample opportunity last week to roster a solid 5th WR but declined as I felt I was set for the rest of the season with the four I have. Now that I've been proved wrong just a week later (hopefully just for this week), I feel the need to start turning over stones and make sure everything on my roster is in order.

I think Jake Ballard is severely underrated this season, as he's easily a TE1 and an every-week starter in my book. If Leinart doesn't like to throw to Daniels or Andre Johnson suffers a further setback, I'd make a strong case to stick with Ballard for as long as Eli keeps throwing it as much as he currently is.

[quote name='kube00']Maybe I"ll gamble and snag the bears

So Vernon Davis over Fred Davis? SF plays AZ and WA plays DAL...it could be a toss up. In the past few weeks Fred Davis has been way more productive[/QUOTE]

If not for the Redskins being absolutely terrible on offense for the last three weeks, I'd say Fred Davis by a mile. Right now, it's a toss up. I think I'd give Fred Davis one more shot.

[quote name='Kaelestis']Someone dropped Vernon Davis the other day and hoping I get him off waivers. Think he would be better than Dickson or Pettigrew. But I don't think he's one of those beasts you always have to start. He was just hot for awhile and then sucked and finally had another decent game last week. He has a decent match up this week though against AZ.

I like Fred Davis since they don't really have anyone else to throw to (nor a capable running game), but Grossman is back and don't know if that's good or bad. I would probably go with Fred given the chance but think Vernon will do close to the same.[/QUOTE]

I'd rank them Vernon Davis = Pettigrew > Dickson. Dickson is too unreliable to count on, and while I like Vernon Davis better than Pettigrew, you can basically count on both of them to produce about equally.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Maclin and Vick have both been ruled out vs the Giants tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I saw that while watching college football this afternoon on ESPN.

That pretty well locks in my QB for this week (Carson Palmer).

Earlier in the week I thought injuries were going to force my hand at WR but now it looks like all the guys on my roster are a go. Who would you start (need 3) out of the following?:

DeSean Jackson, Sidney Rice, Earl Bennett, Vincent Brown, Laurent Robinson.

I've highlighted the three that I initially picked but I'm second guessing them now. With Floyd out again Brown might get quite a bit of action and Bennett seems to be Cutler's favorite target in Chicago.

[quote name='Chitown021']I saw that while watching college football this afternoon on ESPN.

That pretty well locks in my QB for this week (Carson Palmer).

Earlier in the week I thought injuries were going to force my hand at WR but now it looks like all the guys on my roster are a go. Who would you start (need 3) out of the following?:

DeSean Jackson, Sidney Rice, Earl Bennett, Vincent Brown, Laurent Robinson.

I've highlighted the three that I initially picked but I'm second guessing them now. With Floyd out again Brown might get quite a bit of action and Bennett seems to be Cutler's favorite target in Chicago.[/QUOTE]

Laurent Robinson, Earl Bennett, and Sidney Rice. DeSean Jackson should be an every-week starter, but so far, he's had three good games and six bad ones. I don't know if I'd trust him not to lose me the week. If this was last year's Rivers, Brown would get an immediate start, but this year, I'm not sure. I feel that he should outscore Rice, but he could also put up nothing. Rice feels like the safer play.

[quote name='G33']Laurent Robinson, Earl Bennett, and Sidney Rice. DeSean Jackson should be an every-week starter, but so far, he's had three good games and six bad ones. I don't know if I'd trust him not to lose me the week. If this was last year's Rivers, Brown would get an immediate start, but this year, I'm not sure. I feel that he should outscore Rice, but he could also put up nothing. Rice feels like the safer play.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's exactly the WR I'm struggling with. I think DeSean Jackson is the bigger risk/reward play because he can bust a big one at anytime but then again Earl Bennett is Cutler's go to guy. He might not have as high of a ceiling but at worst will probably be good for 5-7 catches and 60-80 yards. I hate to not start Jackson and this be the week he finally gets back on track.

[quote name='Chitown021']Yeah, that's exactly the WR I'm struggling with. I think DeSean Jackson is the bigger risk/reward play because he can bust a big one at anytime but then again Earl Bennett is Cutler's go to guy. He might not have as high of a ceiling but at worst will probably be good for 5-7 catches and 60-80 yards. I hate to not start Jackson and this be the week he finally gets back on track.[/QUOTE]

If you need to gamble, DeSean is a good gamble. Could get you nothing, or could win you the week. Between Bennett and Rice, Rice is the better gamble and Bennett is the safer play, so if you're going with DeSean, I'd probably double down with Rice and go for broke.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Miami's offense has blown up, and their #1 receiver, Brandon Marshall gets 5 yards. WTF?[/QUOTE]

Their defense played so well and they got up on the Bills so quickly that they didn't need to pass that much.

Same thing happened to me with Carson Palmer. They got a huge lead on the Viking in the first half and then just sat on it for most of the second half. I could have really used a few more points out of Palmer especially with Stafford going ass ape for my opponent...

[quote name='G33']If you need to gamble, DeSean is a good gamble. Could get you nothing, or could win you the week. Between Bennett and Rice, Rice is the better gamble and Bennett is the safer play, so if you're going with DeSean, I'd probably double down with Rice and go for broke.[/QUOTE]

I went for broke so we'll see if it works out or not. So far I've done OK. Robinson scored 9 and Rice has scored 10 (I guess he had a 55 yard pass?). Now we'll see who scores more between Jackson & Bennett.

Matt Forte and Fred Jackson who were my top fantasy players throughout the season have played real poorly in recent weeks. Luckily, I was till able to win, but I probably won't be able to win in the coming weeks with such a lousy performance from these two.

Up 0.07 points (thanks to Alex Smith taking a knee and killing the clock :)) with my McCoy vs. his Celek left. Projected numbers say I should win comfortably, but this is still pretty nerve-racking...

fucking DeSean Jackson! I lost 50 yards because he had to go and act like a moron and taunt the Giants bench after he made the catch.

Oh and nice, I would have gotten a TD on the punt return but Jackson just steps out of bounds about ten yards shy... That's just been my luck this season.

Eli Manning just broke my heart.

I was down 25 at the beginning of this game. I had Eli and Cruz, and my opponent had McCoy left. I figured there wasn't much of a chance for me to win. McCoy has his worst game so far this season, and Manning and Cruz have decent games. On the last Giants drive, I go up 93-92 on the long pass from Manning to Cruz. AND THEN ELI FUMBLES ON THE NEXT fuckING PLAY. Eagles get the ball back and run out the clock. So pissed.

It doesn't help that I had Torrey Smith's 22 points sitting on my bench, or that I started CJ and his 2 points over Boldin and DJAX.

Yeah, I was watching the Eagles Giants game, and DeSean getting that penalty was just stupid of him. He marginalized what could have been a pretty decent fantasy day. Jake Ballard exercising his option to display hands of stone was pretty disappointing, too. I finally convinced my friend to pick him up (as he was a comparable or better option than what he already had) and, of course, he plays like he shouldn't even be rostered.

My team's currently down by a few points, but unless an unfortunate fluke causes my MNF players to put up doughnuts, I should come out of this week with a win. My main concern now is to find a decent backup WR in case AJ Green misses more time, just in case another one of my WR suffers a fluke injury *knocks on wood*. I'll probably take a flier at snagging Kevin Smith as well, but I don't think my waiver is high enough to get him.

I'm down 6 points with D. Bowe and Derrick Johnson left to play. Barring a miracle, I should be ok. I really need this win since I've lost 2 in a row and am in danger of falling out of the playoffs with 2 games remaining.

I had been keeping my eye on Kevin Smith since he signed with the Lions. I'm in a 16 team league with 3 Flex positions (1 IDP) so we have to search deep for decent players on the WW. Anyway, I decided to pick him up early Sunday morning and briefly entertained the notion of starting him over Donald Jones (vs Miami). Of course, K. Smith ended up with 42 points on my bench and Jones laid an egg after leaving the game with an injury. I'm pretty sure that when I start Smith vs GB next week. he'll have like 5 points.

So now that Cutler is basically done for the season, who should I pick up?

84131548.png

I'm leaning toward Palmer or Dalton

[quote name='TheRock88']So now that Cutler is basically done for the season, who should I pick up?

84131548.png

I'm leaning toward Palmer or Dalton[/QUOTE]

Tebow or Palmer. Tebow IS Denver's offense, fwiw, so his floor is pretty high with all the rushing yards he gets, and if he ever runs for 2+ TDs, he's good for at least 20 points. Palmer is a good choice as well, as his rest of season schedule is favorable and he seems to be coming along quickly. Only thing to worry about is Oakland's run-first philosophy on offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pitfallharry219']Eli Manning just broke my heart.

I was down 25 at the beginning of this game. I had Eli and Cruz, and my opponent had McCoy left. I figured there wasn't much of a chance for me to win. McCoy has his worst game so far this season, and Manning and Cruz have decent games. On the last Giants drive, I go up 93-92 on the long pass from Manning to Cruz. AND THEN ELI FUMBLES ON THE NEXT fuckING PLAY. Eagles get the ball back and run out the clock. So pissed.

It doesn't help that I had Torrey Smith's 22 points sitting on my bench, or that I started CJ and his 2 points over Boldin and DJAX.[/QUOTE]That Eli fumble killed me, too. I went into the Sunday night game up 109.5-108, with me having Hakeem Nicks left, and him having the Eagles D. Before that fumble, it was 121-119, him. One more 11 yard pass to Nicks would have given me the game. It's been that kind of year for me. Second highest scoring team for the week, and I played the highest scoring. :roll:

I had Torrey Smith on my bench, too. I think I've started him twice this year. They were the games where he had like one catch for 3 yards.

Defense for next week
StL, Seattle, Wash, Oak, or NO. Denver, Miami and SD are also available
Currently I have Carolina and Jacksonville

Looks like Vernon Davis did well this week, and next week SF plays Bal which leads me to want to start Fred Davis since SF plays Sea.....

[quote name='kube00']Defense for next week
StL, Seattle, Wash, Oak, or NO. Denver, Miami and SD are also available
Currently I have Carolina and Jacksonville

Looks like Vernon Davis did well this week, and next week SF plays Bal which leads me to want to start Fred Davis since SF plays Sea.....[/QUOTE]

The best way to play matchup defenses is to see which defenses aren't absolutely terrible and are playing against terrible, mistake-prone offenses (both in terms of fantasy scoring, not real life). For example, I see Seattle, who plays Washington. If you want, you can do some research to see if any of those other defenses are better.

[quote name='kube00']Well I know Oakland is decent but they are playing Pittsburgh. Seattle against Wash could go either way[/QUOTE]

The difference between the two is that I would start Seattle with confidence. If you don't believe me, look at how every single defense that played the Redskins this season (minus the Rams) has done. Washington is one of the best matchups a defense can have, and Seattle is good enough to take advantage of that. Note that the rule of any given Sunday applies especially so to defenses, which you've no doubt experienced already, assuming you've been playing matchup defenses for a while.

Well, I clinched a playoff spot in my main money league with a 10-1 record so far. This is the best I've ever done in the regular season, so I'm pretty nervous about the playoffs.

In my family/less money league it says that I haven't clinched a playoff spot, but I'm pretty sure I have, so maybe it just hasn't updated (it's ESPN, the others are Yahoo).

In my third very little money local league I'm in 2nd place, but it's very close with the other contenders so I could get knocked out in that one.

Thanks for the advice and tips. Noted Seattle it is. I guessing anyone who plays against KC right now would also be a good start

Nice. Thanks to DJAX being an idiot, Ballard deciding to suddenly have stone hands, and Stafford suddenly going ass ape, I lost to the worst team in my league. I'm now 4-7 but still have an outside shot at making the playoffs.

Tough Decision with the playoffs on the line. Stafford at home vs. GB or Brady on the road at Philly. I'm leaning towards Stafford. Green Bay is 29th in pass defense (though they do have 19 ints), but Stafford is great at home and I see this game turning into a shoot out with a big game due for Megatron after the last couple of weeks. On the other hand, it is always tough to sit Brady with the 2nd best QB rating in the league. Thoughts?

[quote name='maccabee72']Tough Decision with the playoffs on the line. Stafford at home vs. GB or Brady on the road at Philly. I'm leaning towards Stafford. Green Bay is 29th in pass defense (though they do have 19 ints), but Stafford is great at home and I see this game turning into a shoot out with a big game due for Megatron after the last couple of weeks. On the other hand, it is always tough to sit Brady with the 2nd best QB rating in the league. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Start Stafford. With the way he's been playing this season, he's just as much of a stud as Tom Brady. Stafford is at home in a division rivalry game which will almost certainly be a shootout. While the breakout game by Kevin Smith might cut into Stafford's pass attempts, it also opens up the Lions passing game because the Packers will need to respect the run. Brady will be Brady and will deliver you a reasonable passing day, but Stafford should get you that and much more.

I have an interesting problem of 4 good RBs with good matchups this week. I can start 2, and a 3rd as my flex. Turner vs. Minnesota, Blount vs. Tennessee, Mendenhall vs. KC, and Benson vs. Cleveland.

[quote name='gravel']I have an interesting problem of 4 good RBs with good matchups this week. I can start 2, and a 3rd as my flex. Turner vs. Minnesota, Blount vs. Tennessee, Mendenhall vs. KC, and Benson vs. Cleveland.[/QUOTE]

I'd bench Mendenhall, too many RBs in Pittsburgh, there's no guarantee he'll get the carries when they count. The other 3 are the clear #1 backs.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I feel bad for Fred Jackson owners. Buffalo just placed him on IR.[/QUOTE]

I bet that's going to screw a lot of people.

I didn't have him on any of my teams, but I quickly vultured CJ Spiller off the waiver wire in two of my leagues just in case he blows up these last weeks of the season.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I didn't have him on any of my teams, but I quickly vultured CJ Spiller off the waiver wire in two of my leagues just in case he blows up these last weeks of the season.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I don't really need another RB because I can only start two and I already have MJD, SJAX, CJ2K, and Bradshaw on my roster but what the heck. It keeps one of my opponents from getting him.

Ugh. I lost Jamaal Charles in week 2, and now Fred Jackson. With my luck, I'll lose Murray this week and be left with Jonathan Stewart and Leon Washington as my RBs.

I've still managed to score the most points in my league by a fairly wide margin, but I'm behind in the standings to a guy with the second least points scored. In a 12 team league.

I hate head to head.

[quote name='gravel']I have an interesting problem of 4 good RBs with good matchups this week. I can start 2, and a 3rd as my flex. Turner vs. Minnesota, Blount vs. Tennessee, Mendenhall vs. KC, and Benson vs. Cleveland.[/QUOTE]

Definitely, bench Mendenhall all the others are solid #1 backs.

Here is my lineup this week:
QB Eli Manning
WR Larry Fitz
WR M Colsten
WR S Holmes
RB S Greene
RB CJ2K
TE J Finley
K Gostowski
DEF Seattle

Bench:

QB Tebow
RB Tolbert
RB K Smith Det
RB CJ Spiller
WR M Crabtree
WR S Rice

Only thing I'm considering is putting Crabtree in place of Holmes. I know it's a tough
match up against the Ravens, but 49ers have to pass more tomorrow night & the Ravens have gave up the 24th most fantasy points to WR's.
However, on the other side of the ball Bills top CB McGee is gone for the year and Holmes gets most targets on the team.
One thing I have kicked around a bit is sitting Greene for K Smith. Buffalo has given up 384 yards and 4 TDs on the ground in their past three games combined and they are giving up the 4th most fantasy points to RBs. My concern is Greene's health. K Smith is most likley the guy for now in Detroit and it looks like the game will be a shoot out. It will likely negate most of his running but he also catches passes. Or should I just say fuck it and roll the dice big time with Spiller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Felt so lucky to actually get Kevin Smith off the waiver wire with AP getting hurt then he gets hurt in the first quarter. Should have expected it.

[quote name='emg28'] I'm pretty sure that when I start Smith vs GB next week he'll have like 5 points.[/QUOTE]

Called it.

Wow, got a solid 19 pts out of Laurent Robinson today. Probably my best production from any of my WRs all year!

Miles Austin take your time. Don't hurry back from that hamstring injury.

Haha, I had Laurent Robinson on the bench because I wasn't sure if he was a sure thing. Thought about benching Welker for him but couldn't do it. Now I kind of wish I did. Have Antonio Brown (return yard league), Welker, and Brandon Lloyd in though so don't think I really lost out on points.

[quote name='Kaelestis']Haha, I had Laurent Robinson on the bench because I wasn't sure if he was a sure thing. Thought about benching Welker for him but couldn't do it. Now I kind of wish I did. Have Antonio Brown (return yard league), Welker, and Brandon Lloyd in though so don't think I really lost out on points.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you've got other options that are good plays. I've had to play the guy for the past few weeks because my WR corp is awful. Robinson, Bennett, Rice, DJAX, and V.Brown are my choices.

With Houston's commitment to running the ball, Leinart at QB, and Johnson coming back I wonder if I should make a different choice at TE? O.Daniels has been my main guy but he's done next to nothing for the past several weeks. Other options are Celek, Ballard, or Gresham.

bread's done
Back