Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Lockout is Over Version

I have some pretty bad match ups for Week 15. So even though I'm the #1 seed in my three leagues, I'm a bit worried in two of them. Vjax vs the Ravens, the whole SF/PIT match up (have multiple players across all leagues in that one; Big Ben, Wallace, Gore, Crabtree, SF D, Akers), not to mention my top IDPs (Lewis and Willis) are both hurt.

Playoffs!
Vick at home vs NYJ with no Leonard or Tebow at home vs NE?
Vick is a little banged up as are his receivers.
leaning Tebow

Last edited by a moderator:
Playoffs time and I don't have a good second RB. With McFadden and Ingram out, I have to choose between Gerhart and Tate. Any advice? Peterson might be come back so Gerhart might not even get many snaps and Tate has Foster in front of him...

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Playoffs time and I don't have a good second RB. With McFadden and Ingram out, I have to choose between Gerhart and Tate. Any advice? Peterson might be come back so Gerhart might not even get many snaps and Tate has Foster in front of him...[/QUOTE]

Likewise, I can't decide between Gerhart, Benson and Tate. Benson has the most projected points but he has kind of been a wild card.

Also I need to decide between starting Laurent Robinson or Miles Austin...

EDIT: Also the whole situation with Big Ben is scaring me... I can't afford to have a non-performing or under-performing QB. I might have to switch in Andy Dalton.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Playoffs time and I don't have a good second RB. With McFadden and Ingram out, I have to choose between Gerhart and Tate. Any advice? Peterson might be come back so Gerhart might not even get many snaps and Tate has Foster in front of him...[/QUOTE]

Definitely Tate. They are playing a bad defense, he will get the ball, especially in the 2nd half. All signs point to Peterson coming back.

[quote name='darthbudge']Likewise, I can't decide between Gerhart, Benson and Tate. Benson has the most projected points but he has kind of been a wild card.

EDIT: Also the whole situation with Big Ben is scaring me... I can't afford to have a non-performing or under-performing QB. I might have to switch in Andy Dalton.[/QUOTE]

For you, I'd go Benson (cmon it's STL!), Robinson/Austin coin flip. It's a bad D, they will both get receptions and yards, it's just a matter of guessing which one gets a TD. For QB, I said Ben earlier to someone else, but it's a little nerve racking since the game is on Monday night. Dalton will have a good game too. Just keep an eye on Sunday, if Ben is definitely going to go, start him. If it looks questionable, go with Dalton.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Mike Williams vs. Dallas or Jabar Gaffney vs. the Giants. Keep in mind, Helu is one of my running backs, and I am not a big fan of starting two offensive players from the same team, unless it's a high-powered offense...which definitely doesn't describe Washington. But the Giant defense has been so bad, I can definitely see the Redskins putting up some points. And Mike Williams has had me pulling out my hair all season.[/QUOTE]

I'd start Williams. Both WRs are a bit inconsistent and neither matchup is a lock over the other, so I'd go with the one that's a WR1 over the one that's a WR2.

[quote name='OH NO GAWDZIRRA']Playoffs!
Vick at home vs NYJ with no Leonard or Tebow at home vs NE?
Vick is a little banged up as are his receivers.
leaning Tebow[/QUOTE]

Start Tebow. While he doesn't have a high ceiling, he's definitely a legit QB1 that, no matter how terrible his start might be, he always comes through with a solid performance in the end. The matchup strongly favors him, as well.

If Peterson is back, start Tate. If Peterson is still out, start Gerhart. Matchups notwithstanding, Tate is still the backup on his team, and Gerhart has been reliable while he has been the starter.

[quote name='darthbudge']Likewise, I can't decide between Gerhart, Benson and Tate. Benson has the most projected points but he has kind of been a wild card.

EDIT: Also the whole situation with Big Ben is scaring me... I can't afford to have a non-performing or under-performing QB. I might have to switch in Andy Dalton.[/QUOTE]

I'd start Benson, Robinson, and Dalton. While Benson hasn't been too good against good run defenses, he's done fairly well against the softer ones. Also, the Bengals will most likely end up running out the clock against the Rams, so he should pick up some free carries there. Robinson has been a legit WR1 with Austin out and still put up legit numbers with Austin and Bryant healthy last week, so I'd stick with him. I'd temper my expectations for a great game, but he should have a decent double-digit game. With Roethlisberger possibly sitting and the Steelers playing on Monday night, Dalton is a difficult, but necessary choice. While not putting up huge numbers, he's been playing decent enough and the matchup isn't bad. The score might limit his opportunities, but I'd rather take 10-20 from Dalton than chance getting 0 from Roethlisberger.

As for me, I'm up against a team that has a lot of late-season standouts, so I'm not sure what to expect. How much I worry depends on how Matt Ryan and Roddy White do today against Jacksonville. I'm hoping Jacksonville has gotten healthy enough to limit them to a decent game, as I'd much rather be down by 30 than be down by 50 going into Sunday.

Really struggling with who to start at QB

Romo at Tampa who are giving up the 6th most fantasy points to QB's over the last 4 weeks.

or Stafford at Oakland who are giving up the 7th most fantasy points to QB's over the last 4 weeks.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I'm up in the air as to who I should play between Bradshaw, Benson and McGahee. What to do what to do...[/QUOTE]

I'd go Benson, only because it's STL.

[quote name='DestroVega']Really struggling with who to start at QB

Romo at Tampa who are giving up the 6th most fantasy points to QB's over the last 4 weeks.

or Stafford at Oakland who are giving up the 7th most fantasy points to QB's over the last 4 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much an even coin flip. Detroit is more of a passing team, but Dallas has better weapons at WR, and Felix has never been a workhorse RB. I'd give a slight edge to Romo.

Arrgggg. Pick three out of: Adrian Peterson, Micheal Turner, Chris Johnson, Shon Greene. I'm leaning towards Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, and Shon Greene. Also, Mike Wallace or Miles Austin? I have Wallace in right now but damn, Antonio Brown is taking all of his touches lately. To the above, I would go with Romo since I think he will light up TB. And to the other post I'd go with Robinson. He's been the top reciever lately in Dal and TB is pretty bad. (Sorry for the shitty formatting, I'm at work atm)

[quote name='antlp89']Arrgggg. Pick three out of: Adrian Peterson, Micheal Turner, Chris Johnson, Shon Greene. I'm leaning towards Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, and Shon Greene. Also, Mike Wallace or Miles Austin? I have Wallace in right now but damn, Antonio Brown is taking all of his touches lately. To the above, I would go with Romo since I think he will light up TB. And to the other post I'd go with Robinson. He's been the top reciever lately in Dal and TB is pretty bad. (Sorry for the shitty formatting, I'm at work atm)[/QUOTE]

I'd probably go with those you're leaning towards as well.

Well, QQ. Ryan and White put up 55 points, so I'm going into Sunday down by a ton. If he starts Felix Jones on Saturday, then that's going to make it even more painful. I have the team to pull a win off this week, I just need to hope that my team puts up a ton of points, while the rest of his team puts up...less than mine.

How do you guys feel about Vincent Jackson this week? He has only been doing so-so the past 3 weeks and he is up against the Ravens DEF who have given up very little points to passing. Do you think putting in Miles Austin would be the better choice?

(Keep in mind, I am also starting L. Robinson this week.)

[quote name='darthbudge']How do you guys feel about Vincent Jackson this week? He has only been doing so-so the past 3 weeks and he is up against the Ravens DEF who have given up very little points to passing. Do you think putting in Miles Austin would be the better choice?

(Keep in mind, I am also starting L. Robinson this week.)[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that's a tough one. I always hated starting two receivers from the same team but I think in this case it's probably your best bet.

Need some quick good advice for tonight. Dez Bryant or Miles Austin?
Or give me 2 to start out of these three:
Vincent Jackson, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin....

Vincent Jackson is so up and down, one week he gets a ton of points then disappears. But I also have Whitten at TE and don't like to have so many eggs in one basket if I start both Austin and Bryant plus having Whitten as my tight end.... hm..... decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Need some quick good advice for tonight. Dez Bryant or Miles Austin?[/QUOTE]

I would go with Miles Austin. To me it seems like Romo's pecking order is Robinson, Austin, Bryant.

3 out of the 4: Brandon Loyd, AJ Green, Steve Smith, and Miles Austin. Smith is my only lock right now and and thinking of Loyd and Green for the other two?

Who should I start at the flex? Hillis, Manningham, Tolbert, B. Tate, D. Henderson, Battle, or Hardesty? Right now I'm leaning towards Hillis. Greg Little and Chris Ivory are also available in FA.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']3 out of the 4: Brandon Loyd, AJ Green, Steve Smith, and Miles Austin. Smith is my only lock right now and and thinking of Loyd and Green for the other two?[/QUOTE]

Out of those four, I'd honestly bench Smith, but of the other three, I'd bench Austin.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Who should I start at the flex? Hillis, Manningham, Tolbert, B. Tate, D. Henderson, Battle, or Hardesty? Right now I'm leaning towards Hillis. Greg Little and Chris Ivory are also available in FA.[/QUOTE]

If that's Ben Tate, start him. If not, start Hillis and hope he has a good game.

I have a couple tough decisions that I've been trying to make for the past week. I'm looking for the best safe plays from these decisions, as a single bad game this week could cost me the win. My current picks in bold.

WR (pick 2):
Victor Cruz vs Washington
A.J. Green @ StL

Mike Wallace @ SF

RB (pick 1):
Reggie Bush @ Buffalo
Roy Helu @ NYG
Ben Tate @ Carolina

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Need some quick good advice for tonight. Dez Bryant or Miles Austin?
Or give me 2 to start out of these three:
Vincent Jackson, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin....

Vincent Jackson is so up and down, one week he gets a ton of points then disappears. But I also have Whitten at TE and don't like to have so many eggs in one basket if I start both Austin and Bryant plus having Whitten as my tight end.... hm..... decisions.[/QUOTE]

Jackson and Austin. And yeah starting three players (from the passing game no less) is almost always suicide.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']3 out of the 4: Brandon Loyd, AJ Green, Steve Smith, and Miles Austin. Smith is my only lock right now and and thinking of Loyd and Green for the other two?[/QUOTE]

Smith, Green, Austin.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Who should I start at the flex? Hillis, Manningham, Tolbert, B. Tate, D. Henderson, Battle, or Hardesty? Right now I'm leaning towards Hillis. Greg Little and Chris Ivory are also available in FA.[/QUOTE]

Probably Hillis. You could also make an argument for starting Tate...Car's D is so bad that he could do a lot with limited touches.

[quote name='G33']Out of those four, I'd honestly bench Smith, but of the other three, I'd bench Austin.

If that's Ben Tate, start him. If not, start Hillis and hope he has a good game.

I have a couple tough decisions that I've been trying to make for the past week. I'm looking for the best safe plays from these decisions, as a single bad game this week could cost me the win. My current picks in bold.

WR (pick 2):
Victor Cruz vs Washington
A.J. Green @ StL

Mike Wallace @ SF

RB (pick 1):
Reggie Bush @ Buffalo
Roy Helu @ NYG
Ben Tate @ Carolina[/QUOTE]

Normally I'd say you're crazy for benching Wallace but I think his matchup + Ben's injury uncertainty + matchups of the other two make it warranted.

Bush is probably safest, although Helu has been tearing it up recently. Start Helu if you're already down big going into Sunday, as I think he has a greater potential to blow up.

I have Helu, and as a Giant fan, I like him this week. The Giant defense is awful, and the Giant offense is a quick strike offense, so they don't have often have long, extended drives. They either score quick or go 3 and out.

So Ben Tate (@CAR) or Peyton Hillis (@ARI)? I've already asked, but I heard 1 say Tate and 1 say Hillis, so I still don't know who to start. Hardesty is listed as Q, so Hillis may get a bulk of the carries against a bad team, while Tate is just a back up.

[quote name='gbpackers94']So Ben Tate (@CAR) or Peyton Hillis (@ARI)? I've already asked, but I heard 1 say Tate and 1 say Hillis, so I still don't know who to start. Hardesty is listed as Q, so Hillis may get a bulk of the carries against a bad team, while Tate is just a back up.[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll be the tie breaker...

Man, that's a tough choice. Does Houston have anything to play for at this point? If everything is locked up I could see Tate playing the majority of the second half. If that's the case even though Tate is a backup I would start him over Hillis.

The safer play is Hillis where Tate has the higher risk/reward.

Good luck to everyone that's still alive this week.

I wish I could say that I was playing for something this week but I got knocked out in the wildcard round. My team did have it's highest output of the season (115 pts) but that wasn't nearly enough. What really cost me were a couple of last minute changes. I dropped Crosby for Janikowski and JAX D for Miami. Those two moves cost me 50 points!

I guess if you've started Romo in your playoff game you are very happy at the moment. Also looks like all three of the receivers in Big D have hauled in a TD.

I'm in my championship game ($60 on the line) and currently up 21-0 thanks to Atlanta's D (20) and Blount (1). I hope Blount gets it going, and soon.

[quote name='Dendaman']Normally I'd say you're crazy for benching Wallace but I think his matchup + Ben's injury uncertainty + matchups of the other two make it warranted.

Bush is probably safest, although Helu has been tearing it up recently. Start Helu if you're already down big going into Sunday, as I think he has a greater potential to blow up.[/QUOTE]

Well, after Felix Jones' solid performance tonight, I'm down by about 70. I think it's time to start Helu and just hope that I can outscore the other team by enough to win tomorrow, as the rest of his lineup isn't exactly friendly (Lynch, Lloyd, Graham, Baltimore. Also Crosby and Doucet, to name all of them).

Ryan Grant vs KC or Mike Tolbert vs BAL? Starks is questionable and the most I could likely hope for from Tolbert is a scavenged TD, so I'm leaning towards Grant. CJ is my other back. It sucks having both Forte and DeMarco Murray get hurt.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Ryan Grant vs KC or Mike Tolbert vs BAL? Starks is questionable and the most I could likely hope for from Tolbert is a scavenged TD, so I'm leaning towards Grant. CJ is my other back. It sucks having both Forte and DeMarco Murray get hurt.[/QUOTE]

Grant. Someone is going to need to run out the clock for GB, and with Starks nicked up and Saine out, Grant and Kuhn are the last two standing. Also, QFT on Forte and Murray. While I own neither, their absence is making this week extra hard for me.

Should I play Frank Gore or Ryan Grant? I know Grant has a great opprotunity with Starks out, but hoping Harbaugh doesn't limit Gore.

Also should I play Lance Moore or Donald Driver?

So I'm down 18. I have Ray Rice, Peyton Hillis, Tom Brady, and Gronk remaining, while my opponent only has Desean Jackson and Torrey Smith. I'm pretty optimistic, but I'm pissed that Brees went insane, if he only got ~20 I would easily win.

Well, second guessing my team just blew up in my face. Helu got held to 53 yards, while Bush is currently at 203 yards, a TD, and the game is still going. Currently down by 65 (possibly more by the time the morning games end) and I'll need a miracle to pull the win off. Hopefully my remaining studs can bail me out big time and give me an early Christmas present.

Yeah, I figured 10 points was the floor for both Helu and Bush, but Helu could go for 25+, while Bush would plateau around 15. How wrong I was. A shame that Nelson didn't do so well either, as I'm rooting for my friend (who is somehow holding on to the lead this week) even after losing Fred Jackson and Matt Forte for the season.

Aaron Hernandez just gave me hope. I'm now "only" down by 40, with my Ray Rice and Phillip Rivers against his Baltimore D/ST. I'm praying for a shootout, in which good Phillip Rivers shows up for the third week in a row and throws for 300+ yards, 3+ TDs, and no turnovers, and that San Diego's defense can't stop Ray Rice on the ground or through the air and nobody vultures his TDs.

Got massive performances out of McCoy and Tebow to drag me back into my game. Too bad Philly went up big, because McCoy sat almost the whole 4th quarter. Plus, Denver couldn't muster any more scores down real big in NE. Anyway, I am down 2 points. The other guy has Flacco and Matthews going tonight, while I have Pitt and SF defense to choose from tomorrow. I am hoping one of those two guys can lay a dud and keep me in this.

Ugh. I am up 14 going into tonight and my opponent has the Ravens D and Ray Rice. I have Mendenhall ad Wallace going tomorrow. The score is 150-136 right now (#2 vs. #3) and the other game both teams are done and no one is over 100 points. I am going to be so pissed when I lose and get eliminated. I'm also enduring a 50+ point day from Brees and 34 points from Brady - 2 of his players scored 85 points. Ridiculous.

I think I clinched the championship- up 26 with Ray Rice and my opponent only has Torrey Smith. If I win that would bring my final record to 11-3 (3 losses coming in weeks 5, 6, 7). Pretty surprising seeing how weak my RBs were all season (Rice, Hillis, Blount, Tolbert, Tate).

Scored 146 points in one of the leagues I'm still alive in with Baltimore defense still to play. Hope I can repeat that next week to win the league. It's sad that in my main league where I got knocked out of the playoffs I have the most points this week. Just makes it more disappointing to know I could have easily won the first round if I would have just won one more game. Feel bad for anyone who went up against Stafford and Megatron.

[quote name='Kaelestis']Scored 146 points in one of the leagues I'm still alive in with Baltimore defense still to play. Hope I can repeat that next week to win the league. It's sad that in my main league where I got knocked out of the playoffs I have the most points this week. Just makes it more disappointing to know I could have easily won the first round if I would have just won one more game. Feel bad for anyone who went up against Stafford and Megatron.[/QUOTE]

Or brees and Seattle d/St.

I hate looking at my bench and seeing guys who clearly out performed people I started. The biggest ouch for me right now is Mike Williams vs. Gaffney. I wanted to start Gaffney so bad. He only had 85 yards receiving and no scores, but that extra 8 points would've been huge right now.

I'm in a decent, but precarious spot at the moment. I'm only down by 12 now, but with San Diego leading and Baltimore trailing, Ray Rice is going to have to do a lot of work fast to keep SD passing and Balt running. I'll greatly appreciate if Rice can break a long run for a TD and a long reception for a TD.

I'm glad that Norv Turner finally decided to give Ryan Mathews some touches around the goal line. I'm currently up by 24 points and the other guy only has Akers left.

BTW, I'm up to 7 different QBs used this season after using Orton this week.

bread's done
Back