Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Lockout is Over Version

Damn, I've been hanging onto Ben Tate for the last several weeks but with the bye weeks I need the roster room so I'm going to have to cut him. Looks like Foster is healthy anyways so the only reason to keep him around would be to handcuff the guy in my league that owns Foster.

I'm thinking i'm having some trading remorse.

In my office league my RB situation has gotten worse every week. I have Hillis, Tolbert (BYE), Addai (Hurt), Brandon Jacobs (Hurt) and McGahee (BYE). All week i was trying to flip one of my TE's (Witten, Hernandez, Gresham) for a low end RB to plug in for this week. I basically struck out and everyone wanted way to much.

I sent a trade offer last night my VJax & Witten for his Matt Forte. He accepted immediately, now i'm second guessing myself. VJax was my best receiver and now my wr core in horrible.

My team looks like this:
QB - Stafford/Romo
WR - Roddy White/Antonio Brown/Percy Harvin
RB - Hillis/Forte/Jacobs/Tolbert/Addai/McGahee
TE - Hernandez/Gresham

It's .25 points per reception and return yards are counted. Do you guys think i gave up way too much?

considering you have Hernandez and Gresham, you don't get killed in that trade too badly, and you really sorta had no choice.

I would have tried to get away with Percy and Witten. and would have tried to trade Romo for a back first. But you didn't get completely killed.

I would straight out drop Addai for the best available high-upside WR, hope that might turn into something.

[quote name='DestroVega']considering you have Hernandez and Gresham, you don't get killed in that trade too badly, and you really sorta had no choice.

I would have tried to get away with Percy and Witten. and would have tried to trade Romo for a back first. But you didn't get completely killed.

I would straight out drop Addai for the best available high-upside WR, hope that might turn into something.[/QUOTE]

I actually have been trying to trade Romo all year to the 2 teams that have pretty inconsistent QB's but they werent willing to offer anything of value for him. Best counter i got was Jordy Nelson for Romo straight up and thats from an owner that has Josh Freeman as his QB. I also tried trading Percy (he's an ok value in this league with return yards but nothing great and the best offer i could get was Harvin/Witten for Lance Moore & JStew... not the RB upgrade i was looking for. I even tried trading Hernandez for Beanie Wells to a team who has too much RB depth and hasnt played Wells once and has Winslow as a TE but he rejected my offer without a counter.

It's a really hard league to trade unless the owner thinks they are ripping you off. Also this league hoards RB's like crazy so I couldn't drop Addai because I really needed him before he got hurt and he would have been picked up. After the trade processes I'll have an empty spot on my bench which i'll use on picking up a WR, although there isnt much out there. I wish I was in a better position where i could have just took a loss but at 2-3 and with 3 straight weeks of tough opponents i felt like my back was against the wall. Sorry i'm rambling. Despite how much i try to rationalize with myself I think i gave too much, but honestly at 2-3 and the team i have i wasn't going to win so i guess its good to gamble and take a chance.

[quote name='Chronis']WR, who do I start? I have Mike Wallace and Maclin as locks, then i have Harvin or Deion Branch as a toss up for my third spot.[/QUOTE]

I'd go Harvin over Branch, too much upside.

[quote name='kube00']Think Lance Moore or Hines Ward will do anything this week? I might start one of them at flex[/QUOTE]

Ward has had a crappy fantasy year, but he is always a threat. Moore has too much competition and I don't think Tampa is going to be a challenge. So go with Ward.

[quote name='onetrackmind']I'm thinking i'm having some trading remorse.

In my office league my RB situation has gotten worse every week. I have Hillis, Tolbert (BYE), Addai (Hurt), Brandon Jacobs (Hurt) and McGahee (BYE). All week i was trying to flip one of my TE's (Witten, Hernandez, Gresham) for a low end RB to plug in for this week. I basically struck out and everyone wanted way to much.

It's .25 points per reception and return yards are counted. Do you guys think i gave up way too much?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think you're fine and came out ahead. Forte is having a monster year and should continue. VJax is doing great, but I think his bubble is about to burst. The output some of these receivers are putting out is amazing, but I have my doubts those numbers will last the season. I like the trade and if return yards are counted you should be able to replace VJax easily.

[quote name='Kilraven']

Carter, everyone else hasn't shown anything... unless you want to risk Caddy in hopes that SJax goes down in the 1st quarter. Also, I'd like to say there has to be a better D option on the WW.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking Carter as well. The only other possible option would be Miami (though they have been giving up 16 points a week to opposing backfields and are 31st in pass d). The other DEF on the WW not on byes are as follows: Cleveland, St Louis, Indy, Jax, Carolina, and Tampa Bay. :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Which RB2 should I start this week? MJD is my must start RB1 but I need to choose one of the following in my second spot:
SJAX
Ahmad Bradshaw
Ernest Graham

I was thinking about finally using SJAX but I'm wondering if Bradshaw's matchup wouldn't be the better play especially with Jacobs out?

[quote name='Chitown021']Which RB2 should I start this week? MJD is my must start RB1 but I need to choose one of the following in my second spot:
SJAX
Ahmad Bradshaw
Ernest Graham

I was thinking about finally using SJAX but I'm wondering if Bradshaw's matchup wouldn't be the better play especially with Jacobs out?[/QUOTE]

Bradshaw no doubt, like you said no jacobs to vulture his TDs, he called out his O-line earlier this week needing them to block better for him is the only negative going against him but he will see 20+ touches maybe 30 vs soft run defense in the Bills ranked 9th worst against rbs in 2011.

With VJax being on his bye this week, I need to choose between these guys for my WR2 spot:

Santana Moss
Percy Harvin
Torrey Smith

Harvin has a nice history against Chicago, but hasn't been very productive so far this year. Moss has been very consistent, but should have Asomugha covering him this week. Smith had that one monster game, then nothing at all the week after, so I don't know what to expect from him.

Who do you like?

[quote name='Danimal']With VJax being on his bye this week, I need to choose between these guys for my WR2 spot:

Santana Moss
Percy Harvin
Torrey Smith

Harvin has a nice history against Chicago, but hasn't been very productive so far this year. Moss has been very consistent, but should have Asomugha covering him this week. Smith had that one monster game, then nothing at all the week after, so I don't know what to expect from him.

Who do you like?[/QUOTE]

If it were me I think I'd pick Harvin since he has the best matchup (Bears D is horrible against the pass). Not sure I'd trust Sexy Rexy to get Moss the ball and I'm not sure how much the Ravens actually target Smith.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I was thinking Carter as well. The only other possible option would be Miami (though they have been giving up 16 points a week to opposing backfields and are 31st in pass d). The other DEF on the WW not on byes are as follows: Cleveland, St Louis, Indy, Jax, Carolina, and Tampa Bay. :wall:[/QUOTE]

Bleh. I guess you could try Cleveland or Indy, but you're right about no options.

[quote name='Chitown021']Which RB2 should I start this week? MJD is my must start RB1 but I need to choose one of the following in my second spot:
SJAX
Ahmad Bradshaw
Ernest Graham

I was thinking about finally using SJAX but I'm wondering if Bradshaw's matchup wouldn't be the better play especially with Jacobs out?[/QUOTE]

Graham. He's been used heavily in the pass already, so putting the run game on him, too, could make him like a Sproles - tempting in any format.

[quote name='Danimal']With VJax being on his bye this week, I need to choose between these guys for my WR2 spot:

Santana Moss
Percy Harvin
Torrey Smith

Who do you like?[/QUOTE]

I like Harvin. I believe Chicago is benching some of their starters this game, so it could be very interesting.

^Moore is so tempting but I guess I would have to go with the hot hand in Heyward-Bey

As for me, I have 4 teams but really only one question mark.

My TE's were weak in one league, I've been starting Kellen Winslow, so I picked up Jake Ballard on the Giants, who has scored in consecutive weeks.

But for this week the website I use for advice says stick with Winslow because the Saints give up TE TD's and last year he had a big game against them.

I'm pretty torn.

It also tells me to sit Stafford this week and let Romo through all over New England's shitty secondary. Kind of hard for me to swallow but it does make logical sense.

[quote name='alucard8319']Danario Alexander vs GB,
Darrius Heyward-Bey vs CLE
Denarius Moore vs CLE

Need just 1 and std. scoring?[/QUOTE]I'd go with Heyward-Bey. Like DestroVega said, ride the hot hand.

[quote name='DestroVega']As for me, I have 4 teams but really only one question mark.

My TE's were weak in one league, I've been starting Kellen Winslow, so I picked up Jake Ballard on the Giants, who has scored in consecutive weeks.

But for this week the website I use for advice says stick with Winslow because the Saints give up TE TD's and last year he had a big game against them.

I'm pretty torn.

It also tells me to sit Stafford this week and let Romo through all over New England's shitty secondary. Kind of hard for me to swallow but it does make logical sense.[/QUOTE]I like Winslow and Romo this week. Good chance Tampa will throw the ball more than usual, between trying to keep up with the Saints offense, and Blount most likely being out. Add in that the Saints don't defend TE's well, and it's as good a matchup as Winslow is likely to see. As far as Romo, again you've got a guy facing an offensive juggernaut, so they'll need to keep up, plus New England's secondary is garbage. Should be a big, big day for Romo.

I hope Heyward-Bey keeps it up. I have to use him this week and at least one more time going forward as I juggle my lineups for bye weeks.

[quote name='Kaelestis']Who would you guys start at flex W/R: Heyward Bey, Daniel Thomas, Delone Carter, or Ryan Torain? I'm leaning towards Torain.[/QUOTE]

The problem with Torain is Shanahan. You have no idea which RB will start and how he's going to use them. As long as he's going to play I'd probably go Thomas.

EDIT: Eww, hammy issues for Thomas. The safer play might be Heyward-Bey unless you want to roll the dice on Torain.

Last second question. Currently starting Starks as my RB2 as I would like to think Green Bay should be pounding the ball a good bit since they should get an early lead. Although Cleveland claims Hillis will get more carries this week.

I'm stuck because of Shanahan too.

Here are my options for my 2nd RB:
Hightower
Mendenhall
Tomlinson

I think I might go with Hightower because he seems most likely to put up some points.

Tough question I've got to start to RBs, Here's the list Jackson, MJD, and Foster. My concern with Foster is they are at Bal

Damn, still trying to decide between Bradshaw and SJAX at RB2. I like Bradshaw a little better but I bet St. Louis will run their offense thru SJAX especially with the issues they have at WR...

[quote name='Chitown021']ESPN just reported Ryan Torain will get the start today.[/QUOTE]
Well then it looks like Mendenhall is going to be my second.

[quote name='kube00']Tough question I've got to start to RBs, Here's the list Jackson, MJD, and Foster. My concern with Foster is they are at Bal[/QUOTE]
That is tough, SJAX might be the better play this week since St. Louis runs their offense through him so he'll get multiple carries and receptions.

[quote name='Chitown021']Damn, still trying to decide between Bradshaw and SJAX at RB2. I like Bradshaw a little better but I bet St. Louis will run their offense thru SJAX especially with the issues they have at WR...[/QUOTE]

I like Bradshaw a bit better as well.

I ended up taking a gamble with Torain even though he might split with Helu and/or Hightower since they're playing Philly. Don't think I could trust Heyward Bey against Cle and Thomas against Jets with hammy issues doesn't sound like a great match up.

Edit: Looks like the Skins ditched the run which sucks and Bradshaw is killing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kaelestis']I like Bradshaw a bit better as well.

I ended up taking a gamble with Torain even though he might split with Helu and/or Hightower since they're playing Philly. Don't think I could trust Heyward Bey against Cle and Thomas against Jets with hammy issues doesn't sound like a great match up.

Edit: Looks like the Skins ditched the run which sucks and Bradshaw is killing it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thank goodness I put Bradshaw in at the last minute although I'm still going to lose because my opponent is just rolling up and down his lineup.

Bradshaw and his 32 points sat on my bench this week. (Started Fred Jackson and Ray Rice) Really could have used a game like that from Bradshaw last week, when I was starting him during Rice's bye.

As it is, I'm up by 37. I still have Percy Harvin to go, and my opponent has Jay Cutler and Shonn Greene. I hope this is the week Harvin finally does something. I'd be in a better position if the Patriots would have put up their normal 30-40 points. My opponent this week didn't bother putting in for a DST, so he was forced to start Dallas. I was looking forward to watching the Patriots roll all up and down the field on them, so of course this is the week their offense becomes average.

[quote name='Danimal']Bradshaw and his 32 points sat on my bench this week. (Started Fred Jackson and Ray Rice) Really could have used a game like that from Bradshaw last week, when I was starting him during Rice's bye.

As it is, I'm up by 37. I still have Percy Harvin to go, and my opponent has Jay Cutler and Shonn Greene. I hope this is the week Harvin finally does something. I'd be in a better position if the Patriots would have put up their normal 30-40 points. My opponent this week didn't bother putting in for a DST, so he was forced to start Dallas. I was looking forward to watching the Patriots roll all up and down the field on them, so of course this is the week their offense becomes average.[/QUOTE]

If I had Rice, F. Jackson, and Bradshaw as my RB choices those (Rice & Jackson) would've been the two I'd start. As it was I had to choose between Bradshaw, MJD, SJAX, and Graham. I ended up running with MJD & Bradshaw.

I can't believe I won by 1 point this week! I thought there was no way my team did enough to beat my opponent but I guess Bradshaw's blow-up day saved me! Vick had a very pedestrian day and he hardly threw anything to Jackson.

[quote name='Danimal'] I'd be in a better position if the Patriots would have put up their normal 30-40 points. My opponent this week didn't bother putting in for a DST, so he was forced to start Dallas. I was looking forward to watching the Patriots roll all up and down the field on them, so of course this is the week their offense becomes average.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing when my opponent played the Pats D. I figured NE would win in a shootout and he wouldn't score crap. Thank goodness my last minute pickup of the Bengals D paid off.

[quote name='kube00']Looks like Brandon Lloyd is headed to St Louis, should make his fantasy value climb[/QUOTE]

Now they need to trade Orton to Oakland so DHB has someone decent to throw him the ball.

Yikes, looks like I'm going to get bit hard core with bye weeks this week. Vick, D. Jackson, A. Bradshaw, and my Bengals D are all off at the same time.

I hope Big Ben can give me one good week as a fill in. Also my WRs are going to be really thin. I have a whole slew of WR2 - WR3 without Jackson. Dez Bryant, DHB, Sidney Rice, Malcolm Floyd.

I'm missing Eli and Nicks this week. Bleh. Tebow and someone else will have to pick up the slack.

Lost in one of those weeks last week. Outscored every other team in the league... aside from my opponent. I hate head to head, and I'm saying this as someone who won $1,200 in a head to head baseball league last season.

YES. I've had Carson Palmer on my roster for the last 2 weeks in anticipation of a deal getting done before the trade deadline. I don't have to start McCoy or Kolb anymore!

[quote name='Javery']YES. I've had Carson Palmer on my roster for the last 2 weeks in anticipation of a deal getting done before the trade deadline. I don't have to start McCoy or Kolb anymore![/QUOTE]

Well, you probably will for the next week or two. I don't know how much I trust Palmer right off the bat. I mean, he hasn't played in a year and is going to a new team, new system, new receivers, etc.

[quote name='Techman16']Alright who should I play this week, Ben Roethlisberger or Matt Schaub?[/QUOTE]
I would go big Ben. He is playing a really crappy Arizona D.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Well, you probably will for the next week or two. I don't know how much I trust Palmer right off the bat. I mean, he hasn't played in a year and is going to a new team, new system, new receivers, etc.[/QUOTE]

yeah, that sounds about right. I'm going with McCoy this week because he is projected to about 14 points and who the hell knows if Palmer is even playing. However, he's only 6-8 weeks behind everyone else and he had a mostly shit team in Cincinnati with an average to poor running game. I expect his numbers to be much better with the Raiders since the running game with McFadden will open up the passing game.

Anyway, I'm psyched because this was about as good of a thing as I could have hoped for to get better at QB. I have been trying to make a trade but the best offer I got was Matt Ryan for Mendenhall which isn't bad but Chris Johnson has been KILLING me so I need another RB to get me some points along with McFadden.

Hmm, trying to figure out some choices:

Between Hasselbeck and Ryan, I think I'm going with Hasselbeck. They both seem to put up the same amount of points, but Ryan is going against a Detroit team that seems to be good against the pass. Hasselbeck feels like he may have a slight edge.

For WR's, I'm trying to figure out whether or not to give Santana Moss or Doug Baldwin the go over Steve Breaston, Nate Washington and Eric Decker.

And RB's....Mendenhall over Jackie Battle or Ryan Torain? With a new QB, Washington may look to the run more giving Torain a chance for a big game especially against a poor run defense. Mendenhall had a great game last week as a comeback, but has been pretty lackluster all year so far. I have Hillis as well, but also an underperformer this year and may be out this game too.

[quote name='Number83']So do I want to start Brandon Lloyd with his new team, or Jabbar Gaffney and his new quarterback? Oh, the possibilites...[/QUOTE]

Oooh, that's a toughie. I would suggest Brandon Lloyd if only because Bradford is an established quarterback who looks like he will be playing on Sunday. With Grossman out, Washington may work on the ground game more then a passing game.

However, if Bradford does end up not playing on Sunday, I would go with Gaffney because I like Beck over Feeley.

But yeah...good luck on that.:)

Man, I am in a shit situation this week. Jahvid Best has a concussion and I can't afford to pick up Ronnie Brown because I have too many people on BYE this week. There's just not anybody that's dropable. If this turns into a long term injury I have to cross my fingers that nobody picks up Brown until Monday, and that's virtually impossible.

On BYE for me; Brady, McCoy, SF Def, Willis, Witten. People on the bench are Starks & Garcon, both who I don't want to drop for Brown because at this point there's no saying how long Best will be out (hell, he's not even completely ruled out this week).

I'm trying to trade 2 players for 1 right now, to both upgrade my team and free up a roster spot, but even if the trade was accepted today, I wouldn't get that free roster spot until Saturday morning. Brown could definitely be gone by then. Very lame.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Hmm, trying to figure out some choices:

Between Hasselbeck and Ryan, I think I'm going with Hasselbeck. They both seem to put up the same amount of points, but Ryan is going against a Detroit team that seems to be good against the pass. Hasselbeck feels like he may have a slight edge.

For WR's, I'm trying to figure out whether or not to give Santana Moss or Doug Baldwin the go over Steve Breaston, Nate Washington and Eric Decker.

And RB's....Mendenhall over Jackie Battle or Ryan Torain? With a new QB, Washington may look to the run more giving Torain a chance for a big game especially against a poor run defense. Mendenhall had a great game last week as a comeback, but has been pretty lackluster all year so far. I have Hillis as well, but also an underperformer this year and may be out this game too.[/QUOTE]

My opinions:

QB: Hasselbeck. Both players are about even in production at this point, but Hasselbeck's matchup is much better.

WR: Baldwin over Breaston. Go with your gut though, all three players (Moss, Baldwin, Breaston) are all in the wait-and-see phase for at least one more week and could be feast or famine.

RB: Mendenhall, if healthy (no late-breaking major injury concerns). If you have doubts about Mendenhall playing the entire game, then go with Torain. I'd only start Battle if you really feel the need to gamble this week.

A few things
I had another trade proposed to me
Them: Wallace, Mendehall, Cobb, Tolbert for my Foster and Jackson
I might consider mendenhall and Wallace for Foster

Since its a bye week in my money league I'll start jennings and Lloyd at WR

That leaves Ward or Moore to fill at the flex, worth it or should I drop Moore and try to pick up Breaston, Thomas (Bronocs), Greg Little, Burelson, or Walter? Currently all of them are available even in a 10 team league.

Other Team, do I take a risk and start Nelson and Jennings? Nelson is a bye week fill in for me , I could snag Nate Washington or Holmes....

It looks like due to all of the bye weeks my lineup is pretty much picked for me.

QB (1): Big Ben (Vick on bye)
RB (2): MJD, SJAX, or Graham (Bradshaw on bye)
WR (3): Floyd, Dez Bryant, DHB, or S.Rice (D. Jackson on bye)
TE: (1): O.Daniels or J.Cook
K (1) :M. Crosby ( I wish the Pack would stop short of the endzone once in awhile!)
DEF(1): LIONS (Bengals on bye)

Both SJAX and MJD have horrible matchups this week. I'm thinking of going with MJD & Graham. I was really glad that Oakland picked up Palmer. Hopefully that means DHB will continue to produce although I don't know how rusty Carson will be this week if he plays. Was thinking of going with DHB, Dez, and Rice although Floyd might be a good play if Revis is on V. Jackson.

Someone cut Mike Williams (TB) this week. Should I take a stab at him and if so which WR should I drop? I nabbed Demaryous Thomas a little bit ago. It still shows him as hurt so for the moment he's not taking up a roster spot (IR).

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Man, I am in a shit situation this week. Jahvid Best has a concussion and I can't afford to pick up Ronnie Brown because I have too many people on BYE this week[/QUOTE]

good thing you didn't Brown is still an Eagle, trade rescinded.

bread's done
Back