Farewell President Bush

[quote name='VipFREAK']^ : scratches head: sooooo... you knew he was bad yet you voted for him for 4 more years? hmm... still doesn't compute. [/quote]
When your options are to choose from bad or worse, it's hard. Which is why starting in November I voted outside the two party system, and it's a safe bet I always will from now on.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I dunno, I find Olbermann to be far less nasty and divisive compared to the likes of O'Reilly and Hannity. But yeah, the man does enjoy the sound of his own voice...[/QUOTE]

Incredible statement.

However, it's my experience that who you think is most divisive always depends on your own political leanings.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Olbermann is just another smartass loudmouth on TV that loves the sound of his own voice. He's as smug and arrogant as O'Reilly as far as I am concerned.[/quote]

As Kirin pointed out, not really. In fact, I'd say one would only be able to arrive at that conclusion if they had a fundamental misunderstanding of Olbermann's or O'Reilly's respective shows, had never seen either, or had a preset opinion about some sort of false equivalency because it's easy and avoids having to actually back up what you say.

[quote name='JolietJake']Only thing about the "no further terrorist attacks on American soil" bit, is that you don't know that there would have been if Gore had be elected either. We can't say for sure that anything Bush did prevented another attack.[/QUOTE]

Anthrax.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I dunno, I find Olbermann to be far less nasty and divisive compared to the likes of O'Reilly and Hannity.[/QUOTE]

Olbermann is easily every bit as nasty and divisive as O'Reilly and Hannity, perhaps more-so. Maybe it's just harder to see since you agree with him more often?

[quote name='Koggit']Olbermann is easily every bit as nasty and divisive as O'Reilly and Hannity, perhaps more-so. Maybe it's just harder to see since you agree with him more often?[/QUOTE]

You cannot possibly be serious.

He derisively criticizes both "conservatives" and "Republicans" directly, daily... his countdown is 90% insulting cons/reps.. his worst person ever is 99% of the time either rep or someone who went against the dem party... he's a total hack. Same as O'Reilly and Hannity directly insulting "liberals" and "Democrats" directly, daily and O'Reilly always labeling a dem as Pinhead and a rep as Patriot... his daily Word is always a conservative talking point... exact same shit, the shows are really just a funhouse reflection of one another.

Pointing out how badly Bush and crew fuck things up and how insane Ann Coulter is does not make him a hack, it just means he is aware of reality.

Him criticizing those who have been responsible for pretty much all of the current mess we are in is not really what was being discussed here, Olbermann would still not even be even one iota as reprehensible as Oreilly and others. Let me know when Olbermann starts making constant blatant racial slurs.

Man, I'm not gonna get in this, alright.. criticism of Bush/Coulter is no different than criticism of Pelosi/MoveOn.. they're seriously inverted reflections of one another.. if you disagree, fine, we disagree. It's not a big deal.

[quote name='elprincipe']Out of curiosity, why do you think someone who is married with five children is homosexual? What do you know that the world doesn't?[/QUOTE]

I picked out one random republican candidate and named them for the sake of making a joke. Romney is clean cut, well dressed, and wears magical underwear. If anyone in the Republican Party is gay and not stuck in an airport bathroom, it's him.

Side note... Bush's final approval rating was like 13% right?

What's the population of Texas? 13% or so of the United States? Coincidence?

[quote name='evanft']As Kirin pointed out, not really. In fact, I'd say one would only be able to arrive at that conclusion if they had a fundamental misunderstanding of Olbermann's or O'Reilly's respective shows, had never seen either, or had a preset opinion about some sort of false equivalency because it's easy and avoids having to actually back up what you say.[/quote]

He is a smartass, and he is egotist.

I felt that way about Olbermann long before he got to MSNBC. I have seen his MSNBC show and O'Reilly's show on Fox (and his radio show) and they are both clowns. I have seen the same attitude from Olbermann when he was a ESPN anchor and when he was on Dan Patrick's radio show, so I'm not not just saying something for the sake of saying something.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']I picked out one random republican candidate and named them for the sake of making a joke. Romney is clean cut, well dressed, and wears magical underwear. If anyone in the Republican Party is gay and not stuck in an airport bathroom, it's him.

Side note... Bush's final approval rating was like 13% right?

What's the population of Texas? 13% or so of the United States? Coincidence?[/QUOTE]

The only wang I think Romney is smoking is Satan's or his own Clones. I don't think the guy is a closet homosexual I think he is just horribly egotistical and evil.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Holy hyperbole Batman!

I'm a liberal but statements like this are akin to those that claim Bush is just like Hitler. Which he is NOT... for one thing, Hitler was a decorated frontline combatant.

Anyway, Bush did a lot of bad things, but his actions didn't lead to a civil war... well... at least not one on American turf...

Read a little history. Guys like Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan (our first and only homosexual president, but I have faith that Mitt Romney will get elected in 2016), US Grant, and especially Warren Harding were awful or worse. And trust me, as bad as Bush was, if those guys had access to modern technology, there would have been scandals that would put Watergate to shame.

It goes along that line that if you're a democrat, every Republican since afterLincoln must have sucked. And likewise if you're a Republican, only you hate on the Democrats.

I think I'm enlightened in the sense that I can look at things in perspective. Was Nixon a bad president? No way... he was a great president who had one major screwup. In the same vain, Kennedy wasn't that good as the commander and chief. He gets credit for the Cuban Missile Crisis, which somehow undoes the fact that he actually accomplished very little in office.

This is why internet debates on this shit are insufferable. Because everyone is a moron but me... and the select few who understand that every president is the worst president at that time. The funny thing about history is we're not around to see it written. So maybe in a 100 years Bush will be remembered as a great leader. I don't know. It might take that much time or longer for the Iraq situation to play itself out. But we're an instant-gratification society anymore. We want a payoff and we want it NOW to go with our instant mocca-lattes and instant-jackpot lottery tickets.

I feel bad for Obama and I feel bad for George W. Bush. Americans are fucking morons. They think change will happen instantly. You know, Reagan gets credit for ending the cold war because it... kinda happened shortly after he was president. Instead of giving credit to... say... Nixon, who was the first president to visit the USSR and the first to have a working agreement with the Soviet Union. It was under his watch that the national mentality of the Russians began to change. Nobody wants to cast Nixon as the hero so they give credit to the guy who did very, very little in the grand scheme of things to make it happen.

People have no patience. They want answers and they want them now. Was going to Iraq the right thing to do? Likely not, but we're there now and there's no turning back. I do believe there is hope there for some kind of stability and civility, but it will take a long time. We might not be here to see it play out. When John McCain said we would have troops there for 100 years, people got pissed because they're morons. I didn't vote for McCain (I voted for Barack Obama), but I understood his point. He got screwed because politics is nothing but an endless series of soundbites and buzzwords played ad-nauseum on talking head shows. Obama is a pretty smart guy, but our best and brightest really can't be presidents because we don't have time for articulate guys who need more then two minutes to explain their policies. Red necks don't get what they're saying and city folk don't have time to listen to it.[/quote]

It is a joke from the Simpsons movie.

[quote name='lilboo']Romney is kinda hot[/quote]

Yeah, but he'll lay half of the country off when he gets elected.

"I'm sorry, citizen, but you're just not working out."

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I felt that way about Olbermann long before he got to MSNBC. I have seen his MSNBC show and O'Reilly's show on Fox (and his radio show) and they are both clowns. I have seen the same attitude from Olbermann when he was a ESPN anchor and when he was on Dan Patrick's radio show, so I'm not not just saying something for the sake of saying something.[/quote]

I see nothing here that disproves anything I said. Pretty much everyone on TV, especially those with their own TV shows, are blowhards. That's kind of a given. But comparing O'Reilly, who has proven time and time again to be a lying hypocrite whose influence on TV "journalism" has done nothing but weaken the medium, to Olbermann, whose record on the facts, treatment of guests, and types of stories covered shits all over pretty much anyone else on TV, is just completely and utterly asinine.

[quote name='evanft']I see nothing here that disproves anything I said. Pretty much everyone on TV, especially those with their own TV shows, are blowhards. That's kind of a given. But comparing O'Reilly, who has proven time and time again to be a lying hypocrite whose influence on TV "journalism" has done nothing but weaken the medium, to Olbermann, whose record on the facts, treatment of guests, and types of stories covered shits all over pretty much anyone else on TV, is just completely and utterly asinine.[/quote]

Evan, this is all I said in my post...

"Olbermann is just another smartass loudmouth on TV that loves the sound of his own voice. He's as smug and arrogant as O'Reilly as far as I am concerned".

I'm clearly comparing smugness and arrogance of the two men. Nothing more, nothing less. I didn't say he lied more than O'Reilly, I didn't say he treated guests worse than O'Reilly. That is what you are comparing. I am talking about the personality of the person. You like Olbermann, fine, I'm not going to launch into hyperbole over who likes who, but my opinion stands based on what I have seen of the man in the political arena and out of it. If you don't think Olbermann is as arrogant and smug as O'Reilly then that is your choice. I stand firm in my assessment of those qualities and others here agree with me.

bread's done
Back