FF Chocobo Dungeon-Why aren't people buying??

NintendoFanGirl

CAGiversary!
I just heard today that the game is a flop, yet it has an average 80% rating from gamerankings.com (would have been higher had they not added Game Informer's usual low Wii scores, this time 55%)? Why are you people not buying this game? It sold only 6k this week and an amazing 15k last week. Truly pathetic.

because its rouguelike. Not many people like that genre.

Myself, I liike that stuff. When I finish the games i'm playing, I'll look in to it

I bought it and love it, and sold a good friend of mine on it. But I had never even heard of the game before reading IGN's review a day or 2 before it came out. So I'd agree with the poor marketing.

Too busy trying to finish Okami. This is probably the next game on my buy list, just for the soundtrack. Unless I cave and get DQS at Amazon.

Luckily VGChartz isn't gospel on sales, so I'm not too worried about it for what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
People aren't buying it because it doesn't have "Party" in the title.

If it was FF Chocobo Party Dungeon, or FF Chocobo Dungeon Party, that'd be an immediate 100k copies sold.

I want to buy it, but I have a huge backlog right now... >_>

Besides, the Wii isn't exactly a big system amongst RPG fans and developers - right now, that'd be the DS or the PSP.

I have NOT seen one ad or mention to this game anywhere. All I know is it is a rougelike game for the Wii for $40. Thats why it sold nothing I think.

A lot opf games are bought, sadly, on solely for their title and cover art by kids and parents at Walmarts, Targets, wherever. FF should have been spelled out to read Final Fantasy, and the cover art should not look so damn stupid. It is a good game, and it is a shame. Oh well. It'll drop fast in price, so us CAGs will be happy.

What is 'roguelike'?

Anyway, 1) backlog of Wii and PS2 games. 2)I know next to nothing about Final Fantasy other than what I played of the first 3 hours of VII and Kingdom Hearts before I got so damn bored I gave up.

This is the first I've heard of it.

The problem I'm having right now is that I have a huge backlog of games to work through. Hope to get to this game eventually, however. I love /streamlined/ rogue games that are designed to be fun to play. This sounds like one of those.

The game isn't selling because it's not priced correctly. The game is worth no more than 19.99, but SE always release their games at a premium price.

[quote name='jling84']The game isn't selling because it's not priced correctly. The game is worth no more than 19.99, but SE always release their games at a premium price.[/quote]

Aside from poor marketing, this is the main problem. I would have bought it day 1 at $20 and would have at least thought about it at $30. Making this a $40 title was a big mistake IMO.

[quote name='jling84']The game isn't selling because it's not priced correctly. The game is worth no more than 19.99, but SE always release their games at a premium price.[/quote]

When the fuck is $40 a premium price for a Wii game?

[quote name='EXStrike']When the fuck is $40 a premium price for a Wii game?[/QUOTE]

This.

$50 is the standard for Wii Games.
$20 and $30 games are considered budget)

$40, IMO, is usually considered "nice pricing". Not full price, but not really a budget title.

[quote name='lilboo']I want it. But if it's flopping thats great news for us CAGS!
Price drop soon! w00t![/QUOTE]

Same here. It'll get to $20 before it vanishes and I'll get it for less.

I'm excited to see how well they did with the music. It's supposed to be really good.

Like the other poster, I'm just not understanding "rogue-like" game. How different is this from the other traditional FF rpgs? I didn't even know there was a rogue genre of games.

Roguelikes

• Roguelike games randomly generate dungeon levels; though they may include static levels as well. Generated layouts typically incorporate rooms connected by corridors, some of which may be preset to a degree (e.g., monster lairs or treasuries). Open areas or natural features, like rivers, may also occur.
  • The identity of magical items varies across games. Newly discovered objects only offer a vague physical description, with purposes and capabilities left unstated. For example, a "bubbly" potion might heal wounds one game, then poison the player character in the next. Items are often subject to alteration, acquiring specific traits, such as a curse, or direct player modification.
  • The combat system is turn-based instead of real-time. Gameplay is usually step-based, where player-performed actions take a variable measure of in-game time to complete. Game processes (e.g., monster movement and interaction, progressive effects such as poisoning or starvation) advance based on the passage of time dictated by these actions.
  • Most are single-player games. On multi-user systems, scoreboards are often shared between players. Some roguelikes allow traces of former player characters to appear in later game sessions in form of ghosts or grave markings. Multi-player derivatives such as TomeNET, MAngband, and Crossfire do exist and are playable online.
  • Roguelikes traditionally implement permanent death ("permadeath"). Once a character dies, the player must begin a new game. A "save game" feature will only provide suspension of gameplay and not a limitlessly recoverable state; the stored session is deleted upon resumption or character death. Players can circumvent this by manipulating stored game data ("save scumming"), an act that may be considered cheating.
Some of these don't apply to Chocobo's Dungeon, though.

I have a glut of games to play right now. my backlog includes metal gear solid essentials (mostly MGS3), finish GTA4, ninja gaiden 2, half-life episodes 1+2, lost odyssey, metroid prime 3, and about 7 psp games. I'm waiting for a price drop on this or at least a good gamestop coupon before I pick it up

I'm waiting for a price drop. Aside from a couple launch games, I haven't paid more than $30 for any PS3/Wii game. For this and Boom Blox, I am awaiting that inevitable $19.99 price point.

Though if you ask me, $40 was a great price for this game to launch. I just don't think the market or interest exists to really push this game off shelves.

Personally, I haven't bought it because I'm broke and because I'm in the middle of another rogue-like right now (the GBA Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, which was $7.50 when I picked it up on clearance at Target).

As soon as it drops in price, though, I'm going to go for it.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Though if you ask me, $40 was a great price for this game to launch. I just don't think the market or interest exists to really push this game off shelves.[/QUOTE]

The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games are selling decently - at least well enough for the first pairing to get a sequel set of games. That could be because of the license, admittedly, but it's not like the Final Fantasy name has ever been a bad thing to have on your box.

Saving my money for fall titles + I don't want to build a backlog before Animal Crossing because that's the end all for a year or so. Even Wii Sports Resort will get shelved for it.

Very poor marketing is the only thing I could think of, as it has "Final Fantasy" on the cover. Maybe cover art too cutesy? Chocobo should have blood dripping from his mouth? lmao.

I bought it and loved every damn second of it. I'm not a fan of rouge-like games to begin with but this one is made very well and it keeps things constantly interesting. Defintely one of the better games I've played this year on any platform.

IMHO, it is worth the $40. Shit, the music alone is worth it for that price.

However, I've just finished it up at roughly 30 hours so it is time for me to go on and catch up to another release, Bully for Wii. :p

funny how people are crazy for Izuna 2 because it has anime chicks and published by Atlus while better roguelikes like this game is being ignored.

While I admit I've been a bit spendy since I rebought my Wii a few months ago, traditionally, I trade to get games I want to play. I'm 6th in line on Goozex to get this game, and while I look forward to getting it, I'm hesitantly excited. Although I enjoyed the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, when I got the second, I was immediately bored, finding it too much of the same sort of gameplay for my tastes. This is why I have not touched the other DS rougelikes, as the gameplay in dungeons looks near identical.

Chocobo looks more interesting to me due to its storyline and graphics. Those who have played the game have given positive responses, which is quite encouraging.

I plan on picking up this game eventually, but I have too big of a backlog right now and I'm hoping to combine FFCD with DQ: Swords and Rygar at the TRU B2G1F sale this October, as they're all $40 games right now. It looks good and even though it isn't card battling like the DS Fables Chocobo game, I really like the art and the music, so it'll be in my Wii library in a few months, hopefully.

I haven't purchased this game for two reasons: one, I haven't seen it anywhere, and two, it's not by Chun-soft. I'm a huge fan of roguelikes, but when it comes to console roguelikes I'm very wary of any game that Chun-soft wasn't involved with. I guess I'm a roguesnob... but this one's by h.a.n.d., and their track record isn't that great (Tamagotchi Party On, Chocobo Tales, One Piece Pirate's Carnival). If I'm going to invest a huge chunk of time into a roguelike, I'd like it to be really solid.

All that said, I'll probably pick it up eventually.

Seen it but wasnt sure what it was... I will mark it down to get eventually. I still have so many sealed games... I even have sealed GC games that I have yet to get to. Damn CAG.

I would like to get it (I have the problem as everyone else - price, availability, backlog, etc.)

My wife loved Chocobo Tales for the DS but I'm afraid this one might me a little too tough for her. Any opinions if she'd be able to handle it?

[quote name='thesimplicity']All that said, I'll probably pick it up eventually.[/quote]Seeing the sales info in this thread made me kind of sad, so I picked the game up yesterday. However, it took me most of the day to actually find a copy. Toys R Us, Circuit City, and three different Gamestops were all sold out (with one of the GSs saying they no longer carried it, which was probably BS). I finally found it at Best Buy and they only had a couple copies. I'm wondering if this game had a really small intial shipment like TWEWY did.

[quote name='CombatCraig']I would like to get it (I have the problem as everyone else - price, availability, backlog, etc.)

My wife loved Chocobo Tales for the DS but I'm afraid this one might me a little too tough for her. Any opinions if she'd be able to handle it?[/quote]

It is actually not too tough, it is not easy either, but it is not tough. If you are able to actually think and use your job classes accordingly, you'll do just fine. Unlike other rogue-games, it is not so stat heavy as it is more strategical, which is great for people who just want to enjoy a light-hearted RPG of sorts.

Don't let that scare you though, it is a very deep game in general.

Supposedly this October in Japan there will be a DS version of this game with 'new features.'

I think I might wait until I hear more news about this. If the DS has improved features (and not as nifty graphics,) it might be the version I want.

Cid and Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon

After reading up on this game I think I'm going to get it. It sounds great and I am somewhat surprised more CAGs aren't interested in it. Once I get it and play a bit I'll post my impressions...

probably didn't sell because it doesn't end with a 'z', or isn't a compilation of 10+ mildly retarded mini games, like most games that come out on the wii. (don't rip on me, I'm a proud Wii owner)

Fanservice. That's exactly why no one is buying this game. As a game itself, it's pretty easy and honestly doesn't break any new ground. The series of "Chocobo's Dungeon" have always been this way. Thus, only people who can stop obsessing over Cloud, Sephiroth, Tidus, Vaan, Auron and all of those other typical fanboy/fangirl favorites long enough to appreciate chocobos a bit more will actually want to play this game, realistically. I don't like the game, but I respect the opinions of others and I know this game wont ever do well in the USA. It may have been a bit better if the price point was in the $20-30 range, but at $40+, most people who aren't obsessed with chocobos just don't care enough.

Hmmm... Well, I'm interested in it and frankly, I don't even know who those people are you just mentioned. The only FF game I've ever played is FF III on the DS.

I was just about to say that it has problems appealing to both "sides". The cutesy Chocobo theme will put off the macho-man hardcore CAG demographic types while the dungeon aspect and fairly high difficulty will put off the soccer mom types from picking it up. The reviews I read say it is a pretty tough game once it gets going and is certainly for the "hardcore" RPG player.

So I guess you are right, Chrasilis, in that the main audience this would appeal to are FF fans.

I want to pick it up because it sounds fun and challenging enough but has the characters to appeal to my 5 year-old so this makes it a perfect evening game for us to play together. We like to spend a bit of time just about every night playing a game together (he usually is content just to watch) and I'd rather play something like this than more mainstream kids' fare. I mean, if I can find a game I'd actually want to play anyway even if he wasn't watching then it's a nice double-dip (quality time with him and a game I want to play through anyway).

And the fact that this came out at $40 helps a lot. Like Dragon Quest Swords I'd probably pass if it was $50. Now I've sort of moved beyond that one (out of sight out of mind) and won't pick it up till it is pops up in a clearance (whereas I might have bought it at release for $30 or $40). Also note that I plan on using cheap-ass credit to get this game and I'll probably snag it used at GS so it will be $31.50 or less (if a good coupon comes out soon).

[quote name='lilboo']io, i really would wait a few months. I have a feeling this is going to drop fast.[/QUOTE]

I think so too. But I actually intended to play this right now so that's OK. I've passed on several other games because I thought they'd drop fast with varying degrees of success. DQ Swords has not dropped like I expected it would (still $40 MSRP - I know Amazon had it cheap but I need to use all this credit I have so I either need a MSRP of $19.99 to get it at GS/GC or a full-on CC/TRU clearance). I didn't buy Civ Rev on the 360 because I think that will drop (obviously, not for a while).

On the other hand, I'm kicking myself for buying Zack & Wiki at full price as I've seen it littering the TRU clearance bins for $7.98 :bomb:. That only bothers me because I haven't gotten around to playing mine yet. If I am actually going to play this game I don't mind if it drops in a few months (like Blue Dragon - though it still hurt with how much and how fast that one dropped as I got it for $60 ;)). Still, I plan on getting it used from GS for $31.50 and will probably wait a few weeks to see if another 25% off used game coupon (or even better a 30% off Wii game coupon) comes with the weekly GS ads. It is in stock used at a couple of GS near me, much to my surprise since it is so new. Those copies ought to be in decent condition too.

[quote name='Chrasilis']...most people who aren't obsessed with chocobos just don't care enough.[/quote][quote name='io']...the main audience this would appeal to are FF fans.[/quote]I don't know about that. To me, the 'Dungeon' in the title holds more weight than the 'Chocobo.' I dislike the Final Fantasy franchise and haven't enjoyed many of the games in the series but I still bought this game... mainly because I love roguelikes. A lot of my friends felt the same way... people who wouldn't be caught dead buying an FF title but really want a good RL experience on the Wii. In fact, I'd guess that most FF fans wouldn't be attracted to Chocobo's Dungeon because it's drastically different and at odds with most of the things that make a Final Fantasy game what it is.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. It's quite easy compared to stuff like Shiren or ADOM, but the job system is well done and the premise is interesting.

Well, I bought it today used from Gamestop for $27.99 after using the additional 10% off coupon (in the Deals forum). I'll start it up Saturday night and see how it goes. I've been on a 360 playing marathon recently and need a break from the droning noise of that disc drive, so it will be nice to play the Wii for a change.

It was pretty much mint, except for some greasy prints on the manual and some bit of food (I hope :shudder: ) in between the case and the insert. I switched to a new case, but the insert has a spot on it. I'm so obsessive about these things I may try to go to the other store that has one in stock and see if I can switch those out. (I need to go there anyway for something else so it isn't as bad as it sounds ;)).

bread's done
Back