FF7 Greatest RPG of all time???

[quote name='crowbb']FF7 would not make any top RPG list of mine, and I have played hundreds counting PC RPGs but it DID singlehandedly save the RPG on console systems. As a game I really dislike FF7, but RPGs were dying a slow death and the success of FF7 pulled them back from the brink and made them a viable genre again.[/QUOTE]

That's entirely not true. The president of sony was focusing on 3d and graphics and didn't want stuff that didn't fit that mold, but that was a u.s. decision and did not reflect console rpg's as a whole. FF7 made rpg's take off in the u.s., but I don't like the ones that took after the ff7 model. I stick to the old dragon warrior style.

Top 5 RPGs:
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Chrono Cross
3. FFVI (yes, III for the US SNES)
4. Vagrant Story
5. Grandia

FFVII comes in at 6th... sorry.:p

The first disc of FFVII was good, not great....and then the game just drags. I still can't believe how holy and beloved this game is. It's good but not legendary, by any means. Vote goes to Chrono Trigger.

[quote name='Tromack']FF7 is the most overrated piece of shit ever. I can rail against it for days without stopping, but I've done it a thousand times here so there is no point doing it again.[/QUOTE]

AGREED. Shit, I hate this game.

[quote name='lurknomore']The first disc of FFVII was good, not great....and then the game just drags. I still can't believe how holy and beloved this game is. It's good but not legendary[/QUOTE]
and yet again:applause:

I want to mention Jade Empire, too. It's like BioWare took Knight of the Old Republic... but made it playable.

FF7 = honestly never played it. Friends said it was ok but they liked ff8 better. Only ff I like is FF2,FF3, and FFX (I actually liked the game because it's really short since I've got no time for RPGs now.)

Game was far from being a great or definitive RPG. It may have been the first RPG a lot of gamers were exposed to, but nostalgia does not make this into a great game. There are dozens upon dozens of RPGs that exceed this title in every possible way.

I'd have it in my top ten but not at number one. That is reserved for Chrono Trigger.

I really liked the gameplay in FFVII and the materia system, but the PS One wasn't really able to do justice to the world it was trying to generate. That is why I think it should have been hand drawn. FFVII, while charming in its own right, didn't have the personality of a FFVI because of the muddy polygons. There was also a certain plot twist (that we all should know) that pissed me off because of the time invested in said character's stats.

I've already said my peace about this game...but I think that I can rationalize the love, rather the acclaim, for FFVII. I liken it to the accolade given to Super Mario 64 for platforming...as FFVII is to RPGs. Apparently 3-d is a big enough deal to cover for the failings of the games and the lack of fun compared to predecessors of both genres of games.

the problem with threads like this is people who actually like things can't ever just get together and talk because every other post is some dumbass saying that nobody in their right mind would like that game or that it's the worst and nobody can argue that.. ugh.

I originally thought it was amazing, but the more and more I thought about it...its pretty generic. The basic storyline is this: social outcast has to end up saving the very world he despises. Sure, there'd an odd twist here and there, but thats basically it. And since the storyline is a true backbone to any good RPG...it fall flat

Other points:The materia system sorta ruins a character's individuality (except the Limits). And the ending, whether it was supposed to done in such a fashion, was just violently lame.

As for my favorite, I'll go with Landstalker. Not the greatest game, but it made me happy playing it.

[quote name='lurknomore']I've already said my peace about this game...but I think that I can rationalize the love, rather the acclaim, for FFVII. I liken it to the accolade given to Super Mario 64 for platforming...as FFVII is to RPGs. Apparently 3-d is a big enough deal to cover for the failings of the games and the lack of fun compared to predecessors of both genres of games.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, even today, I hear relatively few complaints about mario 64 in any area. The people who complained then complain now, but it doesn't seem to have lose its luster over time (other than the revolutionary part), unlike ff7 seems to have in some peoples minds. Maybe I've just missed the mario 64 comments though.

Its good and nothing past that. ITs bogged down with those annoying random battles and loose story ends. The best part of the game is the battle system, the story is great at times and really bad at others.

The best RPG i have ever played is the Baldurs Gate series with Fallout and Arcanum coming in second and FF7 trailing somewhere behind.

I didn't pick up PS1 games until I got a PS2, so I didn't buy FF VII because of the hype. Maybe it's because I played VIII and X first, but it just seemed too average to receive the accolades it does. It may have been a lot of people's first RPG, but I got caught up in the story of IV more than I did in the story if VII.

The best FF, I think, is Tactics. I can play that game for hours. Best Square RPG is Front Mission 3, and the best RPG is Disgaea.

In terms of battle systems though, job-based battle systems (FF IV, VI, T, X, X-2, maybe some others I haven't played) blow away systems like Materia and Junctioning. The characters just don't stand out when they can all junction the same magic or equip the same materia.

Well I do think it is overrated. However, I don't agree with all the hate people have towards it.

The real issue, IMO, is that FF7 brought RPG's into the mainstream. The genre had been many gamers' precious, obscure little baby. Well FF7 took that away. The RPG was no longer a niche thing, and RPG fans were no longer in an exclusive little "club" because more people were playing them now. And for that, even if on a subconscious level, FF7 could never be forgiven. It also helped give Sony an edge over Nintendo, I think there is another sector of gamers that will be forever miffed over that part (since Sony in their minds represents the commercialized mainstream while Nintendo represents the hardcore, old-school, good ol' fashioned roots type of games).

That's my theory anyway. It's the only reason I can think of for why it gets the amount of hate that it does. Because it really is a great game, despite it's flaws. And I do believe it has many flaws, heck I personally find the main character annoying and the story confusing as hell. But the degree of hatred it incites is completely unjustified.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Well I do think it is overrated. However, I don't agree with all the hate people have towards it.

The real issue, IMO, is that FF7 brought RPG's into the mainstream. The genre had been many gamers' precious, obscure little baby. Well FF7 took that away. The RPG was no longer a niche thing, and RPG fans were no longer in an exclusive little "club" because more people were playing them now. And for that, even if on a subconscious level, FF7 could never be forgiven. It also helped give Sony an edge over Nintendo, I think there is another sector of gamers that will be forever miffed over that part (since Sony in their minds represents the commercialized mainstream while Nintendo represents the hardcore, old-school, good ol' fashioned roots type of games).

That's my theory anyway. It's the only reason I can think of for why it gets the amount of hate that it does. Because it really is a great game, despite it's flaws. And I do believe it has many flaws, heck I personally find the main character annoying and the story confusing as hell. But the degree of hatred it incites is completely unjustified.[/QUOTE]

Well said IMO. :applause:

FF7 IS NOT EVEN A RPG its A J-RPG(BTW ultima came out way before dragon quest).
i can Role Play cloud no because i can't choose what i want him to say. Baldur's gate, Fallout, Might & magic 6, Ultima 7 are the BEST CRPG

[quote name='alonzomourning23']The thing is, even today, I hear relatively few complaints about mario 64 in any area. The people who complained then complain now, but it doesn't seem to have lose its luster over time (other than the revolutionary part), unlike ff7 seems to have in some peoples minds. Maybe I've just missed the mario 64 comments though.[/QUOTE]

No, I'd say you're right. The difference is that while not only was Mario 64 the first platformer to get 3D right, for some stupid reason, nobody managed to do better for an almost laughably long time. On the other hand, there were plenty of RPGs that were simply better -- except possibly in presentation -- both before FFVII and since. Love the game if you like: it just doesn't have the same kind of "Why in God's name has nobody managed to top this six years later?" feeling that Mario 64 did.

[quote name='dtarasev']The best RPG i have ever played is the Baldurs Gate series with Fallout and Arcanum coming in second and FF7 trailing somewhere behind.[/QUOTE]

Get thee ... a copy of PLANESCAPE: TORMENT!

It most certainly is true. I buy every RPG I can get my hands on for any system. For both console and PC in the US market they had slowed down to a trickle. We were lucky to get one good RPG a YEAR in that time and it was getting worse and worse. Companies were importing fewer and fewer RPGs because they could make far more on other titles. FF7 showed them RPGs could still make money. But at the same time it put them into style over substance mode which made companies think we needed more graphics and more mini-games over story and solid gameplay.

And for the record I prefer old style RPGs as well but we'd have very few of any type of RPG in English right now if it wasn't for FF7. Baldur's Gate and Diablo served similar roles for the PC market and had a similar effect (No longer do we see classic style RPGs like the Wizardry series), though I consider them both superior games to FF7 but not as good as either of their sequels.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']That's entirely not true. The president of sony was focusing on 3d and graphics and didn't want stuff that didn't fit that mold, but that was a u.s. decision and did not reflect console rpg's as a whole. FF7 made rpg's take off in the u.s., but I don't like the ones that took after the ff7 model. I stick to the old dragon warrior style.[/QUOTE]

I'm just playing ff7 for the second time. I only got into it for a few hours the last time I tried it 6 years ago and I'm still not feeling it this time. I'm not liking the active time battle system. I guess I was spoiled by ff10, KOTOR, Skies of Arcadia(GCN), and ffta but all games that i've played since don't seem to measure up. I even liked ff8 more than 7 and I really got into Legend of Legaia and Legend of Dragoon. ff7 is revolutionary but time has not treated it kindly. It's been said a million times but the stories are the only thing that will make old RPG's playable.

It's a great time to be a cheap ass gamer.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Well I do think it is overrated. However, I don't agree with all the hate people have towards it.

That's my theory anyway. It's the only reason I can think of for why it gets the amount of hate that it does. Because it really is a great game, despite it's flaws. And I do believe it has many flaws, heck I personally find the main character annoying and the story confusing as hell. But the degree of hatred it incites is completely unjustified.[/QUOTE]

i have to agree. ff7 made rpgs what they are today, now they are some of the biggest consoles selling points. you could even argue that it put sony where it is today (but i wont right now). for me, ff7 brought me back into gaming, so i owe that game a lot

Fallout and Fallout 2 are the best games ever made. End of discussion, forget FFVII

FF7 is in my top ten, but I absolutely LOVE Final Fantasy Tactics(PSX) and FF3. To me, FFT is numero uno! Legend of Dragoon and Breath of Fire 3 and 4 are great games as well.

bread's done
Back