FIFA World Cup 2014 OT (Congrats to GERMANY & kdiddy1989)

Did you see all the fans CRYING after brazil lost? Same today for argentina?

Have you EVER cried for your team losing?

People dont cry when barcelona, bayern munich, chelsea, or man u lose

World cup is THE deal to players AND fans for their country.

Second is the UEFA Champions League, and its a close second, closer than the NBA championship and Olympic gold to ballers. But still second to the world cup.
Well yeah, for the fans it's obviously #1 because of the national pride. I just wondered if it was the same for the players. And if it's #1, how come the players don't train together more frequently? Obviously their schedules are full year-round but you'd think if it was the most important tournament for them they would spend more time getting in sync with one another. (Obviously I know the answer to this question is $$$, but you'd think there would be a way to still make sure everyone gets paid AND can train together more).

And no I don't cry when my teams lose because I'm not a wuss. But yeah NFL fans cry all the time and players cry too sometimes.

Forget the fans, the players crying would have been a better example. So many tears after their team gets eliminated. Boo hoo.

K, time for my 2nd question.

Why does offsides exist?  I mean, what's the logic behind it.  I recall seeing 3 or 4 bad offsides calls that took goals off the board, plus several more correct calls that waived off goals.  What's the logic behind taking goals off the board?  

K, time for my 2nd question.

Why does offsides exist? I mean, what's the logic behind it. I recall seeing 3 or 4 bad offsides calls that took goals off the board, plus several more correct calls that waived off goals. What's the logic behind taking goals off the board?
The sport is just designed to be more strategic and defense oriented. To make the offense players have to beat defenders rather than just cherry pick goals by sneaking behind the defense and getting balls cleared to them for breakaways.

The World Cup final set viewership records in the USA with 26.5 million people making it the most viewed soccer match in the history of the United States. 2nd place? The group stage match between USA and Portugal. The sport is on the rise in the states!

Thanks for starting the thread and running the contest kill3r7! Are you planning on turning into just a general world football thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry folks for being incognito. I was out of town all of last week.  

What a great World Cup! Congrats to KDIDDY1989 for winning the WC bracket.  :bow:  :applause:

My plan is to switch the thread to a general world football thread with a focus on EPL and Champions League but I am always open to suggestions.

Did I miss the new thread? Watching United now. It's way past my bedtime though. United's new jerseys are horrific. I may not buy a new jersey for years.

Did I miss the new thread? Watching United now. It's way past my bedtime though. United's new jerseys are horrific. I may not buy a new jersey for years.
It's just bland. Wouldn't go as far as horrific but it's not exactly eye candy. Speaking of which, may I present the '92 away shirt:

Shirt5.jpg

I had that baby, and the shellsuit-style shorts that went with it. #Just90skidthings

I'm definitely not just posting here to get reminders about when kilik64 starts a new thread. Honest. :whee:

I've actually hoped Adidas would revive that shirt when they take kit duties next year. Still can't fix that ugly Chevy logo though.

It's just bland. Wouldn't go as far as horrific but it's not exactly eye candy. Speaking of which, may I present the '92 away shirt:

Shirt5.jpg

I had that baby, and the shellsuit-style shorts that went with it. #Just90skidthings

I'm definitely not just posting here to get reminders about when kilik64 starts a new thread. Honest. :whee:
Haha, I'll start one up tonight if I have time.

Thought that kill3r7 kid was going to do it.

Any suggestion on what should be in op or topic of thread? EPL and CL only?

Not sure it needs to be that specific, but I'd certainly use those two as tags for the title.

A home for all things footy-related will be good, I'm sure you're all dying to hear how Stockport County* are faring this season :whee:.

* - probably very badly indeed

Haha, I'll start one up tonight if I have time.

Thought that kill3r7 kid was going to do it.

Sorry dude, I've been swamped at work. Plus, we are still a couple of weeks away from the start of the season. I think the general consensus was a EPL and CL only thread.

Sorry dude, I've been swamped at work. Plus, we are still a couple of weeks away from the start of the season. I think the general consensus was a EPL and CL only thread.
Had dinner with friends last night so didnt get around to it, might have some time tonight though.

bread's done
Back