FIFA World Cup 2014 OT (Congrats to GERMANY & kdiddy1989)

Wow! Brazil is getting routed 5-0 through 30mins.

BsDIx9ZCAAIdXQi.jpg

EDIT: I feel bad for the fans. They look so incredibly sad. Almost like a modern tragedy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
who is in worse shape... the Brazilians in getting shot for crapping the bed, or the Germans for killing the Brazilians, either way I would be afraid for my life

Wow never saw that coming, but damn happy it did.  I never like cheering for the home team, and I rarely like cheering for Brazil, so seeing them going out was awesome!

Germany looks great, if Holland gets past Argentina (I think and hope they can) I don't know if they can match up with Germany.

Somewhat related, I have a few Mexican friends.  Well, they are working really hard at becoming ex-friends.  But they will not let the fuck ing Holland-Mexico game go.  9 days and 2 rounds later, they will still throw "No era penal" (it wasn't a penalty) talk into every conversation about soccer.  

I've never seen a fanbase be such fuck ing crybabies, Jesus Christ.  Not to mention they had already given up the lead fair and square and they were getting dominated over the last 30 minutes and had already subbed Gio out.  

Get the fuck over it guys.  Sometimes questionable calls go your way and sometimes they don't.  Welcome to the world of sports.

/rant

Somewhat related, I have a few Mexican friends. Well, they are working really hard at becoming ex-friends. But they will not let the fuck ing Holland-Mexico game go. 9 days and 2 rounds later, they will still throw "No era penal" (it wasn't a penalty) talk into every conversation about soccer.

I've never seen a fanbase be such fuck ing crybabies, Jesus Christ. Not to mention they had already given up the lead fair and square and they were getting dominated over the last 30 minutes and had already subbed Gio out.

Get the fuck over it guys. Sometimes questionable calls go your way and sometimes they don't. Welcome to the world of sports.

/rant
Next time they start talking just shoot off a Dos A Cero

Might upset them might not, do it and report back.

Next time they start talking just shoot off a Dos A Cero

Might upset them might not, do it and report back.
Haha they'll just start grasping for straws as always. One of them is also a US fan. I had no idea my friends were such sore losers though. No plans to talk to them until after the World Cup. If somehow Holland actually miraculously win it all, I'm pretty sure they'll just say "well, really that should have been Mexico there".

I'm still shocked at how crap Brazil was. Ian and Macca kept referencing the absence of Thiago Silva, but Dante is no slouch. I thought the issues were in the midfield, both centrally and wide. You can't blame Dante and Sideshow Bob when Khedira, Muller, Klose, Kroos, and Ozil are running at them full speed. The first goal was clearly a defensive organization issue though.

Hope The Netherlands can pull it out.  Would like them to win it all since they never have, and I like how they play other than Robben's diving.

Would also set up a couple nice rivalry games this weekend with them vs. Germany and Brazil-Argentina in the 3rd place match.

It would surely be a special thing for the Dutch to pull it out, especially considering they entered this tournament without Kevin Strootman, van der Vaart, and their most experienced defender, van der Wiel. Injury bug hit them hard and they kept chugging along.

I consider their trip to the semis a success (I obviously underestimated them not thinking they'd get out of the group) because of that even if they were to go out now. I definitely want them to beat Argentina.

Let's go Holland.  Got my Orange shirt and blue tie on today for support.  Hoping I'll be able to sneak out of work a little early to catch some of the game, but that looks doubtful.  Luckily I can still stream it at work.

Thoroughly boring first half.

And unfortunately Mascherano got a little woozy after a knock to the head and of COURSE we have Twellman and his every person who gets hit on the head has a concussion commentary.

Loser.

Phew, that Argentina goal should have been good.  Thank god I don't have any Argentinian friends to cry about it for the next month...

God more penalties.

Regardless of the outcome, I've gotta say I haven't enjoyed the Dutch style.  They did a good job pushing at times vs. Costa Rica but just couldn't get one in.  But during long stretches during the Mexico and Argentina game they looked very passive and content at a 0-0 scoreline.  Look a lot like Spain from 4 years ago, which I found beyond boring.

Anyways, let's go Holland, and let's hope if they get through they bring it versus Germany!

Definitely pulling for Germany as I almost always root for Euro squads over South American ones.  

Holland had a nice run to the semis, but 0 goals in their last 240 minutes, I'm not sure they deserved to make it to the finals.  

And what the hell happened to Van Persie in the knockout stage?

Surprised how well my bracket did/is doing. After the Group stages figured I'd bombed on it pretty bad. Got an 86 apparently, but can't gain anymore (had Brazil winning). 

Leaning towards going for Germany in the final, can't really get excited about Argentina at all. The third place game finding it hard to care either way, I guess Brazil just because but neither team really excites me right now (Besides the thrashing of Spain, I can't think of a Netherlands game I actually enjoyed (missed the Mexico game, and possibly one other)).

Surprised how well my bracket did/is doing. After the Group stages figured I'd bombed on it pretty bad. Got an 86 apparently, but can't gain anymore (had Brazil winning).

Leaning towards going for Germany in the final, can't really get excited about Argentina at all. The third place game finding it hard to care either way, I guess Brazil just because but neither team really excites me right now (Besides the thrashing of Spain, I can't think of a Netherlands game I actually enjoyed (missed the Mexico game, and possibly one other)).
Bracket is really won if you get the SF, final, and champs right. Getting final and champs is 64 points alone.

Thats what won it for kdiddy, he got final 2 right and at this point doesnt matter if argentina wins, he has won pool. Good picks by him for the final two teams.

If Argentina wins, I get 32 points, no?
Oh shit you're right.

Talk about coming from no where to win it.

Yea didnt even pay attention to you since you were so far down there.

Down to you and kdiddy then.

Germany wins kdiddy takes it, argentina wins you take it.

Crazy.

Holy smokes, the fact that I'm even in it is beyond crazy. Had such crappy early rounds. Was dependent on a surprise run from Chile to be the difference since I expected everyone else to pick Brazil.

In football news, rumors are swirling around a Xavi move to NYCFC and Alexis Sanchez is heading from Barcelona to Arsenal.

Holy smokes, the fact that I'm even in it is beyond crazy. Had such crappy early rounds. Was dependent on a surprise run from Chile to be the difference since I expected everyone else to pick Brazil.

In football news, rumors are swirling around a Xavi move to NYCFC and Alexis Sanchez is heading from Barcelona to Arsenal.
NYCFC will be loaded with over 30 talent.

All I can think of is Dirty Sanchez...

Down to you and kdiddy then.

Germany wins kdiddy takes it, argentina wins you take it.

Crazy.
I think Germany will win.

Argentina in my opinion did not do very well against Holand(nederlands? I watch the games in Spanish and they call it Holanda, so I'm not 100% sure on the English name).

It would be nice if Argentina won though, hasn't it been like 20+ years since their last win?

I think Germany will win.

Argentina in my opinion did not do very well against Holand(nederlands? I watch the games in Spanish and they call it Holanda, so I'm not 100% sure on the English name).

It would be nice if Argentina won though, hasn't it been like 20+ years since their last win?
Netherlands is the official name of the country in English. Holland is a large section of The Netherlands, so large that "Holland" has become basically interchangeable with "The Netherlands" as the name of the country.

And people from The Netherlands are Dutch, obviously.

Netherlands is the official name of the country in English. Holland is a large section of The Netherlands, so large that "Holland" has become basically interchangeable with "The Netherlands" as the name of the country.

And people from The Netherlands are Dutch, obviously.
Ah, makes sense now.

Fact: Nothing makes an American kid say "I want to play soccer for a living" than watching old foreigners play soccer for a ton of money while other American kids make $40k on the same team.

Fact: Nothing makes an American kid say "I want to play soccer for a living" than watching old foreigners play soccer for a ton of money while other American kids make $40k on the same team.
TBH though, if you are an American kid and have dreams of playing soccer for a living, you are not thinking of playing in MLS, you are thinking of playing somewhere in Europe most likely.

If you have any sense at least. And are actually good.

We can't get enough kids to have that dream. That's the problem. A large portion of kids play soccer growing up but then move to other sports.

These moves are great for the league though. Anybody who watched the sport from the 2009 Confed Cup/2010 World Cup have an idea who Kaka and Robinho are. Now somebody is like "Whoa, they are in the MLS now?" and little by little will get interested. The bigger names keep coming and mixing it up with our youth. It's a good experience for the players and has the league heading in the right direction. Still light years away from being an elite league, I understand that. But comparing it now to 2007 when I started watching MLS, it's so much better. It's gotten better each year since then imo. Now it's to the point where the majority of the best players are not the European stars anymore, but young Americans like Graham Zusi, Matt Besler, Michael Bradley, etc

The biggest gripe I have about the league is that we need to buy MLS Direct Kick to watch every MLS game. That makes no sense to me when we get every match from the EPL for free...how do they expect people like y'all (non-MLS fans) to get into the league if you're not able to watch games as you please? Why should you have to pay for a league that hasn't built a reputation yet just to give it a chance...

Good final. Argentina just choked on too many chances. To be fair, Germany hit the post and missed a couple other chances as well.

Good game, got kinda boring in the 2nd half and extra time. Germany was the best team in the World Cup and they definitely deserved to win it all IMO.  And I know I said the same thing about Holland, but Argentina with 0 goals in their last 240+ minutes doesn't deserve to be champs.

I've got a couple questions for you soccer pros, if you're still hanging around here.

For the players, is the World Cup the ultimate pinnacle in soccer?  I mean, is this the one tournament they want to win more than any other one?  Or is something like the EPL Championship or Champions League Final a more prestige win for the players?

Comparatively, the NBA Championship is probably quite a bit more prestigious than a Gold medal in the Olympics.  Hockey, I'm not sure where the Stanley Cup would compare to a Gold Medal in Olympic Hockey.  Baseball, the World Series is the ultimate prize and international play is comparatively inconsequential.

The World Cup is the pinnacle. It's every four years so there are less opportunities to win it during your career. Guys like Klose and Pirlo are outliers. If you're really good and your country qualifies, you'll be lucky to play in two.

Did you see all the fans CRYING after brazil lost? Same today for argentina?

Have you EVER cried for your team losing?

People dont cry when barcelona, bayern munich, chelsea, or man u lose

World cup is THE deal to players AND fans for their country.

Second is the UEFA Champions League, and its a close second, closer than the NBA championship and Olympic gold to ballers. But still second to the world cup.

bread's done
Back