FIFA World Cup 2014 OT (Congrats to GERMANY & kdiddy1989)

So now that we are set with the next round teams, predictions on who makes it to the final 8?

Brazil (will get helps from ref if need be)

Colombia (no suarez hurts uruguay)

Netherlands (mexico gives them a game though, dutch will win by one I think, could go to ET and they either get goal or win on pk)

Costa Rica (greece is poopoo )

France (I dont see Nigeria giving them too much trouble)

Germany (same as france game)

Argentina (swiss might make difficult to score but argentina has too much firepower)

Belgium (Belgium will put it all together, win 3-0 maybe 3-1)
This, except I gotta pick USA over Belgium.

Switzerland over Argentina would be the other potential upset I could see happening.

If allowed to play (ie refs don't fuck it up), Chile knocks out Brazil. Mexico v Netherlands will be another close game. Otherwise I see very few upsets. Obviously, pulling for USA over Belgium. 

If allowed to play (ie refs don't fuck it up), Chile knocks out Brazil. Mexico v Netherlands will be another close game. Otherwise I see very few upsets. Obviously, pulling for USA over Belgium.
I agree on Chile, why I said refs will help brazil win if they have to. Dubious late penalty, etc.

Honestly, most looking forward to mexico netherlands. Man who would have thought mexico would play this well? Backed into the comp thanks to the US and 2 goals in stoppage time in a meaningless game for the US, then played pretty terrible leading up to the WC. They did really well in their group and are playing pretty good football right now. Would not be totally surprised if they upset the dutch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not as sold on Mexico, I don't think Cameroon or Croatia was really that tough of opposition, and they really should have lost to Brazil if it wasn't for a couple amazing saves and a couple poorly placed shots that were right at the keeper.

Don't get me wrong, Mexico definitely deserves to be in the round of 16 and they're playing a lot better and Holland better not take them lightly.  But I think Holland is going to be a huge test for Mexico.

So now that we are set with the next round teams, predictions on who makes it to the final 8?

Brazil (will get helps from ref if need be)
Colombia (no suarez hurts uruguay)
Netherlands (mexico gives them a game though, dutch will win by one I think, could go to ET and they either get goal or win on pk)
Costa Rica (greece is poopoo )
France (I dont see Nigeria giving them too much trouble)
Germany (same as france game)
Argentina (swiss might make difficult to score but argentina has too much firepower)
Belgium (Belgium will put it all together, win 3-0 maybe 3-1)
Have pretty much the same, going for US over Belgium though (bias and all). Have Costa Rica/Greece being one of the worst matches of the round.

Ugh, Chile so close to getting rid of Brazil.  Though I didn't think Chile necessarily deserved to win, they played a vary cautions 2nd half and extra time, not to mention I feel like they have been the biggest floppers in the World Cup.  Definitely don't love their style of play.

I am loving that 4 of the 5 South American teams have to play each other in the first couple rounds.  Nothing against South America but I almost always like to cheer against the host continent, and host country specifically.

Both of those. James looks amazing right now, he just made himself a lot of money with his play.

Mexico vs the Dutch today, excited for this match. Could see it going a lot of different ways, but just really hope its a good match.

Great first half. That turnover could've been deadly right before halftime. Good on Moreno for giving his all to stop it. I hope he can play in the 2nd half and props to Hector Herrera for taking that kick to the head and just playing on.

Robben probably should've been rewarded a penalty but his reputation as a diver caught up to him.

It was a foul, but he definitely oversold it. Cost him one he should have gotten in the first half, but helped him get that one when the refs will sometimes swallow their whistles on light fouls in late game situations.

I'm never sorry to see Mexico go out in any case.

Mexico gave up on attacking when they subbed Dos Santos. Way too early in the game to sit back and welcome pressure. Ultimately, it bit them in the ass. Was it a penalty? Probably, Robben sold it well but then again the one before the half was a penalty and he didn't get it. I thought the game changed in favor of Netherlands when Depay came on and they switched to a 4-3-3. 

Mexico gave up on attacking when they subbed Dos Santos. Way too early in the game to sit back and welcome pressure. Ultimately, it bit them in the ass. Was it a penalty? Probably, Robben sold it well but then again the one before the half was a penalty and he didn't get it. I thought the game changed in favor of Netherlands when Depay came on and they switched to a 4-3-3.
No doubt, Gio going out and Depay coming in completely changed up the game. Though I firmly believe Holland took portions of the first half off to conserve energy, which I think was a really good idea with that insane heat.

Also, phew! Was a little closer than I expected it to be.

Greece and Costa Rica was pretty boring, as a Holland supporter I have no problem with them having to play 120 mins and go to penalties. I did want Greece to with the shootout though.

I mean, yea by the letter of the law it was prolly a foul, but watch the replay. Robbens touch on the ball was heavy and he was not getting to it even with the foul, the other defender would have had it.

Shame on Rafa for making the ref make a decision, but still say it was a no call.

Good god was that greece, costa rica match awful. Ive sat through some boring matches (im a CFC fan afterall... :roll: ) but that one was pretty bad. 

Costa Rica-Greece game was awful, couldn't manage to even stay awake for extra time, woke up before the pens though so nice to see those.

Think France should handle Nigeria though maybe Enyeama can put on another strong game and Nigeria strike lucky. Really curious about Algeria, seems if they go for it they can be dangerous.

Nigeria pretty hard done by the ref imo, between Evra's bearhug on that corner and Matuidi's anklebreaker.
Nigeria played incredibly well, better than anyone had a right to expect. They stifled France's attack for most of the game. Ultimately, they lost because they had too many mental mistakes (disallowed goal for offsides, trying to catch the corner instead of punching it).

I was only able to catch bits and pieces of the game, but Nigeria looked better than I expected as well.  Too bad they couldn't have upset France.

Some of these Round of 16 games have been closed, but the results have all been exactly as expected by most of us here.  We need a good upset from Switzerland!

Unimpressive start for Germany.  I don't know anything about Algeria since they played in kind of a blah group, all I remember is the US playing them 4 years ago, where they were very boring and passive.  I guess they've made some changes these last 4 years. 

Unimpressive start for Germany. I don't know anything about Algeria since they played in kind of a blah group, all I remember is the US playing them 4 years ago, where they were very boring and passive. I guess they've made some changes these last 4 years.
I saw their game against Belgium. They pretty much defended the whole time and almost pulled it off. So far they are countering Germany very effectively. If there is a weakness to the German team, it is their defense.

Frustrating for Germany, can't score all regulation and put it in 90 seconds into ET.  Now they have to survive and play for another 30 mins.

BrZU1eiIQAA_7b8.jpg

I somehow missed that he's fit apparently. Wonder if he'll start or if it's just a bit of misdirection. Bringing him off the bench seems like russian roulette.

BrZU1eiIQAA_7b8.jpg

I somehow missed that he's fit apparently. Wonder if he'll start or if it's just a bit of misdirection. Bringing him off the bench seems like russian roulette.
If he plays at all, I think he would come off the bench. I doubt he has the fitness level to play the whole 90. My guess is he comes on around the 60-70min mark.

If he plays at all, I think he would come off the bench. I doubt he has the fitness level to play the whole 90. My guess is he comes on around the 60-70min mark.
He comes in if we are losing, otherwise i think he won't make an appearance and it's a smoke screen tactic.

Yeah I only see him coming in late if we need a goal AND we still have a sub left after him so he can be swapped out if he gets re-injured.

Wow, another 0-0 extra time game.  France scoring at the 79th minute was the 2nd earliest game winner in this round of 16 so far.

So much late game drama.

Interesting to see a 4-3-3

Howard

Johnson    Gonzalez   Besler    Beasley

Cameron    Bradley    Jones

Bedoya     Dempsey     Zusi

In Klinsmann we trust! I BELIEVE!!!!

Not sure which makes me madder - Wondo shitting the bed or the fact that it wouldn't have counted anyway...

edit: i guess it would have counted?

double edit: How on earth are we still sitting on sub????

Ah well... It will be interesting to see how many people in the US keep watching now that we're out. (I won't be one of them) I think I gave soccer another fair chance and it's just not for me. 

I hope this great run by the national team will help grow the love for the sport in our country. We weren't supposed to hang with the rest of the world because a lot of our guys are MLS players but we proved we could. That's proof that the MLS isn't what it was a decade ago. We have quality footballers in the league.

We got revenge on Ghana. We dominated a team that has the best player in the world. We battled the Germans and in the end, we escaped the Group of Death. What a run by our guys. I'm sad that it's over but that's a hell of a run.

Team did an awesome job of getting out of the group, but I feel they could've done much better. It's a shame they played Belgium like they played Germany. We needed to get forward and hold possession to make that amazing Tim Howard performance mean something.

Next big tourney is Copa America Centenario, hosted here in the US no less! It should be fun with nothing but teams from the Americas.

Ah well... It will be interesting to see how many people in the US keep watching now that we're out. (I won't be one of them) I think I gave soccer another fair chance and it's just not for me.
I love soccer (well, international soccer, I don't follow club soccer as much except the local MLS team here) but cool that you gave it an honest shot instead of automatically shitting all over it like most others who don't enjoy it have done.

As for the game, it was played well enough by the US.  We have a pretty strong defense and definitely relied on it, and Howard and the back line did pretty much everything they could to keep us in the game.  Everyone on that team should be proud of making it out of the group of death and putting up a great fight against Belgium.  Howard and Jones are the two who I think had the best World Cup performances for us, but Beasley, Beckerman, and Yedlin all thoroughly impressed me.  Bradley is the only one I would say under-performed consistently.  Wando and Zusi were disappointing for me at times as well.

In this game, I think Klinsmann sat on that third sub for too long, not saying that it would have changed the outcome but I still would have liked to see him as soon as Belgium scored.

And man, Wando and Dempsey both missed great great opportunities, Wando's was heart-crushing because we played the whole game for that late opportunity and he shanked it.  That set play to Dempsey was just about perfect and something I felt he should have capitalized on.  To me he looked really dead out there at times today.  

Gotta say it was one of the smoothest and most enjoyable games I've watched this World Cup.  This is the first I've seen Belgium play but they're now my 2nd favorite to win this after the Dutch.  Very classy play, very light on the flopping, and good God are they huge!

Columbia vs Germany and Holland vs Belgium is my prediction for the final four teams.  I know I just said I want Belgium but I actually wouldn't mind seeing Argentina beat them since I think Holland will have an easier time with Argentina.

bread's done
Back