Fight Night Round 4

[quote name='Matt Young']Even better- use photo Gameface to put your worst enemy's face on said featherweight jabroni. ;)

For some reason, I'm really tempted to get this game even though I was iffy on the demo and probably wouldn't play it as often as UFC. And just as a note, UFC had logos for FNR4 on the mat at this past weekend's show.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how many people upload a picture of their boss or ex wife and do this?

Is Mike Tysons' special punch the ear chomp?

They really jacked up Gameface from Tiger 08. Worked great there. Not getting very good results now. Boxing's great, though, so only minor complaints thus far.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']

Is Mike Tysons' special punch the ear chomp?[/QUOTE]

Ha all my friends wondered the same thing too. Tyson does not bite the opponent's ears off unfortunately. The only illegal moves are the headbutt and low blow.

[quote name='Matt Young']I don't know about '08, but the Gameface on Tiger '09 was atrocious.[/QUOTE]That's surprising, though I haven't tried Tiger '09 yet. I was amazed how great the feature was in '08. It really worked as I had hoped, but this isn't coming anywhere close. It doesn't seem to be stretching the face map over the 3D model head like in '08. All it seems like is making a close approximation of the head dimensions. Kinda disappointing.

Anyway, I can't get the timing down at all on the blocking. Are you guys even able to read the punches coming in more than 50% of the time? 'Cause almost all the time when I block, I just get lucky if it works. And my countering isn't much better, even on easy.

Well I'm 13 fights through my Welterweight career and I'm having a blast with it. However it seems like it might take quite a while to get your boxers rating up to the level it should be to fight the higher ranked guys. Some of the training games are kind of stupid but you can sim them if you want.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']That's surprising, though I haven't tried Tiger '09 yet. I was amazed how great the feature was in '08. It really worked as I had hoped, but this isn't coming anywhere close. It doesn't seem to be stretching the face map over the 3D model head like in '08. All it seems like is making a close approximation of the head dimensions. Kinda disappointing.

Anyway, I can't get the timing down at all on the blocking. Are you guys even able to read the punches coming in more than 50% of the time? 'Cause almost all the time when I block, I just get lucky if it works. And my countering isn't much better, even on easy.[/QUOTE]

Yea I dont think it uses the actual picture but probably just the little markers you place. Someone said that FNR4 uses so many more facial animations than Tiger thats why they don't use the same process or look the same. Makes sense to me.

I am having a lot of fun with this game so far, and I haven't had any freezing issues yet. The Boxer Share feature is great--already staged some of the most historic boxing match-ups of all time, like Balboa vs. Creed, Obama vs. Harry Potter, and Borat vs. Ron Burgundy.

[quote name='IvanHood']I am having a lot of fun with this game so far, and I haven't had any freezing issues yet. The Boxer Share feature is great--already staged some of the most historic boxing match-ups of all time, like Balboa vs. Creed, Obama vs. Harry Potter, and Borat vs. Ron Burgundy.[/QUOTE]

I want to do Charles Manson vs Mike Tyson I

Well this sucks! I didn't get around to playing the demo and just got this today from Gamefly... EA is bullshit, why did they take away button punching? I understand that the stick punching is more controlled and you don't wear your guy out just throwing bombs but they just ruined the whole pick up and play part of the game. No longer can you have people over and just play for fun untill everyone gets the control punching down. I don't care about online and if that's the reason it's gone they could've just not let you use buttons in ranked games.

I was really looking forward to having fun with this for a few weeks untill NCAA came out. I don't wanna learn the sticks since i'm not in it for the long haul... BLAH glad I didn't buy it.

[quote name='$hady']Well this sucks! I didn't get around to playing the demo and just got this today from Gamefly... EA is bullshit, why did they take away button punching? I understand that the stick punching is more controlled and you don't wear your guy out just throwing bombs but they just ruined the whole pick up and play part of the game. No longer can you have people over and just play for fun untill everyone gets the control punching down. I don't care about online and if that's the reason it's gone they could've just not let you use buttons in ranked games.

I was really looking forward to having fun with this for a few weeks untill NCAA came out. I don't wanna learn the sticks since i'm not in it for the long haul... BLAH glad I didn't buy it.[/QUOTE]

I really didn't have any problem learning the sticks. When I had friends over to play FN3 they really didn't have problems learning the system, it's pretty simple. They aren't going to be great right away but still should be able to throw some punches.

I like the sticks, but it's going to take some getting used to, to hold the bumper and turn the right stick at the same time for a power punch/haymaker. That, and the completely new counter system is a big change. I'm not saying these are bad things, but they are causing me problems since I just got FNR3 in March and I'm very used to that system.

Have you guys tried the entrance music feature? I tried to quick search online to find a couple of Tyson's themes (the ones with only the sound effects) but no luck.

I'm not the greatest player and I'm definitely new to the video editing feature but I thought this was kind of a cool knockout using Mosley's signature punch against Cotto to get the Ecko Trunk Challenge Achievement

http://beta.easports.com/media/play/video/6666842

Also does anyone know how to get the updated stats for your created boxer in Fight Now mode? I have my boxer up to a 67 but when I go to use him in fight now he's still at 58 or whatever which is where he was when I created him.

[quote name='DT778']Have you guys tried the entrance music feature? I tried to quick search online to find a couple of Tyson's themes (the ones with only the sound effects) but no luck.[/QUOTE]
I'm also curious about this but haven't looked to hard.

Anyone up for a match tonight? We should start a league of some sorts.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FrankySox']
We should start a league of some sorts.[/QUOTE]

I was going to suggest that if/when I got the game. I want to play the demo more, but the tutorial every time... Why do they do that shit? Wolverine forced you to sit through a long cut scene every time on that demo, too.

[quote name='Matt Young']I was going to suggest that if/when I got the game. I want to play the demo more, but the tutorial every time... Why do they do that shit? Wolverine forced you to sit through a long cut scene every time on that demo, too.[/QUOTE]

They don't force you to do the tutorial every time... Just hit start and press skip tutorial.

[quote name='Matt Young']I was going to suggest that if/when I got the game. I want to play the demo more, but the tutorial every time... Why do they do that shit? Wolverine forced you to sit through a long cut scene every time on that demo, too.[/QUOTE]

You can skip the tutorial by pressing START, then skip tutorial. But yeah no way that I know of to skip the wolverine one, that sucked ass.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']They don't force you to do the tutorial every time... Just hit start and press skip tutorial.[/QUOTE]

Oops beat me to it.

I'm the "Man in the Mirror"

Matt, I like the counter system much more in this game, it easy to get used to and I think it works a lot better than FN3.

I played more last night and sticks are not as horrible as i thought they would be but I still miss buttons. You darn kids and your fancy pants controls! Lol

[quote name='FrankySox']Oops beat me to it.

I'm the "Man in the Mirror"

Matt, I like the counter system much more in this game, it easy to get used to and I think it works a lot better than FN3.[/QUOTE]

I may just need to get used to it. I loved FN3, and 4 looks beautiful. The new approach to career and the online belts are things I think I'd really like. I just have to give it more time before I make a decision one way or another. I'll probably play the demo more once I'm done with Gunstar Heroes.

The sticks are probably initially intimidating to newbies, but trust me, eventually you wind up doing some crazy shit with them. Bobbing, weaving, buffering punches, targeting multiple openings in a row better. So much more flexibility than FNR3.

I thought training sucked, but really you should sim the ones you are weak at until you get your stats all up to like 70-75. Then you can do the training games and your increased stats will make it so much easier to at least get Contender everytime and avoid the 50% sim penalty. After that you can slowly start getting towards a fully maxed fighter. I've found it's easier if you always fight the guy one above you (so his stats are closer to yours) then schedule the fight further ahead so you get two training sessions to focus on your weakness versus the fighter you're going up against.

We should set up a weekly tournament or something. I'm afraid to play with the unwashed masses online. Heard it's nothing but people flailing away with punches and quitting when their bars drop too far below the other guy.

Finally got the game.
TPC sucks.

Think im just going to use the game as a coaster until EA decides to release an update/patch to include button configs.

I think wombat or cheapy mentioned R4 in the last cagcast dunno if their buying the game or not but id like to hear their thoughts about this clustercrap TPC only controls.

I still don't understand why people would want to limit themselves with button punching rather than having a lot more available to them with total punch control. It's really not hard at all to learn, either.

yea.. since fight night 1 introduced the fight sticks.. there is just no going back to buttons...

Im not good at all with countering or blocking in this game though.. i wish they had left the old counter system.

What is the deal with all the fight now cheesemints? I dont know why I have a slight problem with this...just seems strange.

as far as themes go. Here are the ones i am planning on putting in.

Antonio Tarver (download) - Three Six Mafia- It's a fight (rocky 6 theme)
Roy Jones JR- Roy JOnes JR- Can't be touched
Rocky (download)- Eye of the Tiger or CLASSIC ROCKY THEME

Need some more for the official boxers

After playing the demo a lot more, I really love this game. It seems more arcadey than FNR3, but also more enjoyable. I have seen the light. I guess The Conduit will have to wait, because my money's going toward Fight Night.

Count me in for a tournament or league as well. I suck, but I should have the game on Thursday or Friday.

Has anyone switched weight classes in their legacy? I was just wondering if you are penalized any stat points when doing so. Also the Heavy Bag Push training session really pisses me off, any strategies for that?

I'm 19 fights in 19-0 with an 82 rating right now, hopefully I can get him up to around 90ish before he starts to go down.

[quote name='FrankySox']Has anyone switched weight classes in their legacy? I was just wondering if you are penalized any stat points when doing so. Also the Heavy Bag Push training session really pisses me off, any strategies for that?

I'm 19 fights in 19-0 with an 82 rating right now, hopefully I can get him up to around 90ish before he starts to go down.[/QUOTE]There's no stat penalty when going up a weight class.

The heavy bag sucks. I haven't been able to figure it out at all. And good luck getting up to a 90. I'm 46 fights in and I've only made it up to 86 overall. Stat points get really stingy once you get in the mid 80s on each stat.

My buddy said he just adjusts the sliders whenever he has to do the heavy bag push and it makes it way easier. I just sim that one and the heavy combo bag because I usually just end up getting prospect on those two. The others are relatively easy. Just make sure you only throw body uppercuts on the double end bag, and just try to keep the combo going on that and on the maize bag and you will usually get champion.

Also, I've gotten through about 25 fights in my legacy and was having a really tough time with the top 10 boxers, so I bumped the difficulty down to amateur and it's ridiculously easy. Kinda cheap, but I really didn't want a loss. So if you have no dignity, thats one option.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']My buddy said he just adjusts the sliders whenever he has to do the heavy bag push and it makes it way easier. I just sim that one and the heavy combo bag because I usually just end up getting prospect on those two. The others are relatively easy. Just make sure you only throw body uppercuts on the double end bag, and just try to keep the combo going on that and on the maize bag and you will usually get champion.

Also, I've gotten through about 25 fights in my legacy and was having a really tough time with the top 10 boxers, so I bumped the difficulty down to amateur and it's ridiculously easy. Kinda cheap, but I really didn't want a loss. So if you have no dignity, thats one option.[/QUOTE]

My next fight is against the number 8 boxer but I had a pretty easy time beating up on Paulie Maligani or however you spell it.

I dont understand this. The game looks fantastic, controls fluid and responsive, create a boxer decent, legacy pretty good, presentation top notch, yeah its a little aracdey but not over the top.

Yet, for some reason I am not having fun while playing. Hmmm. Strange.

I will say this though,to this day do not understand why the hell they put repetitive "training," mini games into things like this. Does anyone really enjoy the mini games enough to want to do them for a entire legacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't think I would care for this game either. I got the game from the GS Trade in 3 get it free deal in order to basically flip it. Now that I've sold it and already mailed it, I really wish I had given it a chance before I sold it. If there's going to be a tournament count me in as well. Will be getting this game again next week.

[quote name='guyver2077']i cant believe theres this little posts/interest... this is a big release.. wtf[/QUOTE]

Well, there have been a lot of people on my friend list playing it.

Anybody find any good created boxers to download?

I was looking on the top downloaded list and some of the boxers look accurate but there ratings are kind of off.

I played online a couple times and I was pretty mediocre. I don
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

I played the demo again this evening and can't get Rock-em sock-em robots out of my head while playing.
EA bring back the buttons, casual gamers have better things to do then remember useless analog stick movements!

[quote name='Soodmeg']What is the deal with all the fight now cheesemints? I dont know why I have a slight problem with this...just seems strange.[/QUOTE]It seems career fights go towards the achievements that are for "Fight Now" mode. I unlocked the "Win 50 Fight Now" matches achievment and I'd only played 3 or 4 in Fight Now. The rest, I'm assuming is from my 46 career matches.

[quote name='seen']I played the demo again this evening and can't get Rock-em sock-em robots out of my head while playing.
EA bring back the buttons, casual gamers have better things to do then remember useless analog stick movements![/QUOTE]

Again, what's the appeal of the buttons? It seems that most people who used the buttons on 3 were cheesers. I know you're not one, but just give the sticks a shot. I was just as reluctant to switch to stick control on NHL 08, but now I can't go back. And the rock 'em sock 'em robot feel will be there regardless of input method.

I hate the stick movements, they started when skate came out practically beat the game but then couldn't do the precise stick combination to beat it(some crazy trick); hence I have little faith in the analog stick system.

Matt, the buttons appeal to me as it is easier to remember a button combination press then which direction to half spin or full spin, etc.

[quote name='seen']I hate the stick movements, they started when skate came out practically beat the game but then couldn't do the precise stick combination to beat it(some crazy trick); hence I have little faith in the analog stick system.

Matt, the buttons appeal to me as it is easier to remember a button combination press then which direction to half spin or full spin, etc.[/QUOTE]

Understood. I disagree, since you have a wider variety of punches available with the stick and I am familiar with most of the motions from owning Round 3 for a couple months, but I cannot fault you for preferring a different control scheme.

I've never played Skate, but UFC involves a ton of right stick work as you know, and I do fairly well in that while on the ground (except against cgarb's crazy mounting abilities, heh).

To clarify for any future replies, I wasn't trying to start a stick vs. buttons war... I was just curious as to why people preferred the face buttons.

Oh no, Matt. I have played Sakte 2 and what he is talking about is no where near what happens in UFC. They can not even be mentioned in the same sentence.

The stick movement required in Skate 2 is fucking ridiculously sometimes because it needs the exact degree. UFC a major transition will work everytime as long has you start the stick further than the straight up.

I also had concerns of a pure stick control in Fight Night 4 before playing it solely due to how crappy it was to deal with in Skate 2.

Anyone started with a heavyweight in Legacy? I'm wondering how the career rankings work since reaching Superstar/Legend/G.O.A.T. requires going up a weight class.

I am just not feeling this game at all. Its not bad, I just cant get into it. I am surprised that this game isnt get any love here on CAG, constantly buried in the 2nd page.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Anyone started with a heavyweight in Legacy? I'm wondering how the career rankings work since reaching Superstar/Legend/G.O.A.T. requires going up a weight class.[/QUOTE]

I did a legacy as a heavyweight and retired as GOAT. Didn't have any requirements on going up a weight class. Didn't get the achievement for going up a class though.

I love the fight night series but this game is terrible. I think I prefer the sweet science of round 3 rather than this slugfest game.

bread's done
Back