Fighter Thread IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII - the Fightering

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Chacrana']Well guys, you need to upgrade your TV's first. Seriously, you'd get soooo much more out of that.[/QUOTE]

my commodore 64 is where it's at. you really don't know gaming unless you play on that thing.

I'd like to pick one of those up myself. It'd be a nice upgrade from my XBR1. However, as fantastically rich as I appear to be, I cannot afford a $3000+ TV right now. So... someday.

Actually, I should get an Olevia.

I can do 720p and 1080i. I'm happy until 1080p TVs come down to that magical $1000 price range. Unfortunately, there will be some new "Full HD" standard that will be out and we'll start this all over again.

my Sharp LCD is 720p native, but does 1080i. I would be satisfied with this thing for the rest of my life, if it could live that long :) I can't see 1080p providing a noticeable difference in quality over it.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'd like to pick one of those up myself. It'd be a nice upgrade from my XBR1. However, as fantastically rich as I appear to be, I cannot afford a $3000+ TV right now. So... someday.

Actually, I should get an Olevia.[/QUOTE]

Screw Olevia...it's all about Rico Suave brand.

You can already get some good 1080p TV sets for under $1000!

Just recently Costo had the 37 inch Westinghouse 1080p LCD TV on sale for $799...!

Prices are dropping, slowly but surely... :)

And yea, for fighting games 720p is good, there are no true 1080p HD quality fighters out there yet anyways...

About the 1080p vs 720p difference, I don't notice it in every game... but the one that made me a believer is comparing Ridge Racer 7 on my 40 inch Sony XBR CRT TV vs my 46 inch XBR2 LCD.... the difference was O_O!

1080p really doesn't make a difference until you're dealing with TVs above 40 inches. Oh, and Markman, I don't think that it's just the 1080p that makes RR7 look better on the XBR2. That's just a fucking amazing TV. Speaking of RR7, I really should open that.

the PS3 is giving me headache. I want to hold off on getting one, but with T5DR: Online and now 360 VF5 getting delayed.....gahhhh.

maybe i'll ask for some dough for my birthday next month and put one towards a $400 range PS3 on Craig's List

on a random note, I get annoyed with arcades that don't take care of their machines. I hit up a local arcade 30 minutes from where I am and everything was bunk.

-3rd Strike's fierce/roundhouse buttons were crossed last time I was there, this time they turned off the machine completely

-Street Fighter Collection machine was turned off

-2P on CVS2 has Jab, Short, and Forward broken. On top of that it will choose characters even if you just hit directions on the stick. 1P also tends to throw out random Roundhouse.

-MVC2 is alright. 2P is solid, 1P feels off.

If I want to go to a WORKING arcade today, I gotta make the hour+ drive with my friends. Booooo.

1995 wants their quarters back, asian. I've been thinking of ways to resurrect the arcade scene but I've drawn nothing but blanks. I've got the perfect location, business plan, and even a few investors but I just let it chill because it will never make money. Once the Wii is more prevalent, I'll revisit it but I've got to admit it's nothing more than a pipe dream.

If I ever had money oozing out my ass I would open up an arcade in San Diego just to have one... I wouldn't care if it was a no return investment...

Arcade gaming days = forever in my heart... !

The thing is......arcades as we want them to exist won't make money. You'll need a bunch of DDR machines and other crappy games that will make a arcade purist cry silent tears. Dave & Busters is a good example of one way to make money as a restaurant and gaming center. It's not quite a true arcade but there are plenty of games.

how about an arcade speakeasy with blank cabinets with sanwa parts and PC's running MAME inside them?

question-- what board does CvS2 run on?

[quote name='MarkMan']I thought Puzzle Fighter was in July? If SSF2THD is in July too I'm going to run around the block naked right now... :)[/quote]

Skip the exhibition, I was wrong. I passed over the entire "Puzzle" part. :bomb:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

darth_vader_nooo.jpeg

I think the only thing that would stop me from working on cash for a PS3 ATM would be a third (or fourth if you're japanese) Rival Schools on the Wii... Tekken DR online turned my mind 180 degrees... I was planning on a Wii, then HDTV, then PS3, but now it's PS3, Wii, HDTV... if I am lucky, I might have one in a week if FYE has me in favor.

also, will Dragunov ever learn to speak a full word?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7xSZh4rkIA[/media]

(note, if I get some good practice time with him on the PS3 sometime, He's becoming a main of mine alongside Kaz.)

also, I always get a kick out of forrest law actually suppose to be going to Tekken 5 tourney, but due to losing to lili he fucked his chances (guy hasn't had a break since tekken 3).

After being disappointed that my local arcade doesn't keep up on their machines, I decided to travel today.

I drove an hour+ to Milpitas Golfland (Milpitas, CA) with a friend of mine today. I hadn't been there in about two years, so I was getting excited about getting a chance to play there again.

I vote this arcade as one of the most godly places for fighting game fans. So this is what they had. We ended up spending almost 5 hours there today.

-KOF 2002
-KOF 2003
-SamSho V
-CVS2 (1 make-shift head to head cab, 1 showcase cab)
-Guilty Gear XX
-MVC1
-MVC2 (2 showcase cabs, 1 regular cab)
-Tekken 5: DR (2 cabs)
-SF Third Strike (1 showcase cab, 1 make-shift head to head cab)
-Super Puzzle Fighter (1 regular cab, 1 showcase cab)
-Soul Calibur 3: Arcade Edition (showcase cab)
-Rival Schools
-Tekken Tag Tournament
-SVC Chaos
-Killer Instinct 2

Man....I had the BEST day...so happy :)

In other news I might try to sell the Supergun that I got. I realized shortly after I got it, I don't have the time or money to start an entirely new (and deep) collection like that.

Hopefully I can get at least $150 to put towards a PS3.

[quote name='asianxcore']In other news I might try to sell the Supergun that I got. I realized shortly after I got it, I don't have the time or money to start an entirely new (and deep) collection like that.

Hopefully I can get at least $150 to put towards a PS3.[/quote]

Say, is that the dlite supergun w/component? I'd be interested in that...

...and nice to hear that there are still some old skool arcades you can kick it for some fighting game action! Unfortunately, Milpitas is far enough away from my usual CA haunts that I don't think the wife would even consider letting me go.

Speaking of fighting (heh), looks like PA got in Orochi collection already and my first big order from them in a while is finally shipping out...yay for the strikebang coupon!!

[quote name='gunm']Say, is that the dlite supergun w/component? I'd be interested in that...
[/QUOTE]

Yup, it's the D-Lite Component. I'll send you a PM

Orochi Collection is great, I hope you like it. Behind 98', 96' is one of my favorite KOF games simply because Leona is nerfed.

I played KOF 2003 for the first time today and was annoyed at how much she was cut down.

MGL is nice! That place and SVGL are my fave Northern California arcades... :)

From SDTEKKEN.COM:

06/18/07 UPDATE

Namco revealed that the deluxe Tekken 6 arcade machine set up will go on sale in early November of this year. A standard cabinet will be released in early December and the Tekken 6 PCB will go on sale in later December. Stay tuned for all incoming news from the Tekken 6 private show in Japan!

---

I have a feeling this is going to be EXPENSIVE...

If anyone wants to really support Namco in an odd way, go to Puerto Rico as they pretty much own all major arcades there. Heck, there's a damn good Puerto Rican team there as well (MM would know).

I'll have to check out that arcade in Milpitas when I'm in the Bay Area in August. After 5 years of traveling, my wife and I are going back to clear out our storage unit. Hopefully, my Saturn and my stereo system still work.

*score* got a complete copy of Rival Schools on ebay- $34 shipped. Got the guide in a separate auction for $15 shipped.

Anyone else get guides for their fighting games? I don't know why, but I have to have them. and I never use them, except the SF:Anniversary one occasionally.

the PS2 CvS2 guide is my white whale :) Every one I bid on goes up to $15, every one I don't bid on ends below $5 :roll:

I bought Art of Fighting Anthology last night, to get an SNK fix...

... man; that shit didn't age well. I wish they, at least, included some supplemental extras.

I will say that the sprites in The Path of the Warrior look nice, though.

[quote name='Apossum']Anyone else get guides for their fighting games? I don't know why, but I have to have them. and I never use them, except the SF:Anniversary one occasionally.[/QUOTE]Yup, in fact fighting games are pretty much the only games that I actually get guides for. I do have my computer set up right next to my game consoles/TV, but I still prefer flipping through a guide over a reading dull text file from gamefaqs. It's especially preferable when a game has TONS of characters, like MvC2.

Heh, speaking of the MvC2 guide, I actually got that one for free back in the day. I asked a GS clerk how much that guide was; he said it was $0.01 "if I could find it." So naturally I was overjoyed when I actually found one buried in with the rest of the guides. The front cover was torn, but for $0.01 I had a hard time caring. After waiting on the LONG line, the clerk saw me with the guide and looked at me like I was crazy for actually going through the effort to pay for it. He told me I could just take it and leave, lol.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Yup, in fact fighting games are pretty much the only games that I actually get guides for. I do have my computer set up right next to my game consoles/TV, but I still prefer flipping through a guide over a reading dull text file from gamefaqs. It's especially preferable when a game has TONS of characters, like MvC2.

Heh, speaking of the MvC2 guide, I actually got that one for free back in the day. I asked a GS clerk how much that guide was; he said it was $0.01 "if I could find it." So naturally I was overjoyed when I actually found one buried in with the rest of the guides. The front cover was torn, but for $0.01 I had a hard time caring. After waiting on the LONG line, the clerk saw me with the guide and looked at me like I was crazy for actually going through the effort to pay for it. He told me I could just take it and leave, lol.[/QUOTE]

Nice :) They only made one for the Dreamcast version, right? If there's a PS2 guide, I need it!

I bought Art of Fighting Anthology last night, to get an SNK fix...

... man; that shit didn't age well. I wish they, at least, included some supplemental extras.

I will say that the sprites in The Path of the Warrior look nice, though.

I would've bought the game if they added a bunch of useless swag and made it look nice, like a Working Designs game. They didn't have to go all Growlanser/Lunar style with pendents and crap, but I would eat up an artbook in a second.

I've picked up guides for Street Fighter Anny, Alpha Collection, Tekken 5, and DOA 4. I like flipping through the guides and actually seeing combos and different moves instead of reading them in a text file on game faqs. RPGs are the only other genre that really needs a guide.

[quote name='Apossum']
I would've bought the game if they added a bunch of useless swag and made it look nice, like a Working Designs game. They didn't have to go all Growlanser/Lunar style with pendents and crap, but I would eat up an artbook in a second.[/QUOTE]

I doubt they'd ever do that for a $15 game, though. They don't really need incentive to get people to buy it - it's more like "Hey, remember this game from your childhood, it's only $15, and it also has the two sequels too!"

Maybe if it was $30 or $40 I'd agree, but the price is low enough that I don't expect anything extra.

I mean, SNK Japan isn't going to send over any extras to get the US one to sell, and the US branch probably doesn't want to drive the cost of the game up if they tacked on any extras.

Gotta remember, in Japan, this game sold like gangbusters at $49.99, and will probably sell even more at $24.90 on the 21st. SNKJ probably hates the fact it's only $15 here - I remember an interview a long time ago, where the CEO of SNK was appalled Sony of America wanted him to bundle his games because they don't sell in the US, when they sell like crazy at full price by themselves in Japan.

The points is, SNK US probably doesn't have the resources to add extra stuff, because it seems they are an underfunded branch to begin with. Same with the European branch. It's the only thing I can think of as to why their games have so many glitches and mistakes and it takes them *forever* to bring a game out here.

definitely check out Milpitas Golfland if you are in the area Depascal. it's quite amazing.

underfunded or not, I'm done with SNK Playmore at this point

also to answer Apossum's question, no I don't buy guides for my fighting games. I wouldn't mind picking up a couple if I found them on the cheap.

Yeah, I buy guides for fighters because I love the artwork. Capcom and SNK artists are awesome IMO. The anniversary guide is pretty good, especially for a 3s newb like moi.

Same sentiments on AoF. To me, $15 was too much. Kinda regret it and I agree my memories of the game did not hold up to what it really is. Can't say I wasn't warned, though. :)

As for the 21st releases, it looks like PA has some of that shit in already, so I'd check your order statuses to see what's up. Mine is in preparation for shipment and my cc was ping'd for the amount.

[quote name='gunm']Yeah, I buy guides for fighters because I love the artwork. Capcom and SNK artists are awesome IMO. The anniversary guide is pretty good, especially for a 3s newb like moi.

Same sentiments on AoF. To me, $15 was too much. Kinda regret it and I agree my memories of the game did not hold up to what it really is. Can't say I wasn't warned, though. :)

As for the 21st releases, it looks like PA has some of that shit in already, so I'd check your order statuses to see what's up. Mine is in preparation for shipment and my cc was ping'd for the amount.[/QUOTE]

fuck!

You're totally right!

Everything that is set for the 21st is available now!

I just got in Guilty Gear Slash today, the cheapest shipping option only took a week to get from here to Japan, which is awesome ;)

There we go, ordered -

King of Fighters: Orochi Collection
Last Blade 2 in 1
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi

And I went with the super expensive $24 Fed-Ex shipping, for $10 more than the cheapest one and I'm guaranteed to have it in 1 - 4 days: I need it before next Friday, and Samsho says "Ships within 1 week", so even if they ship it this Monday I should get it by next Fri.

Not a bad haul for $117 shipped, just think, two of those games + shipping a few days ago would have gotten me close to that number :D

I really wish they would have put out KoF XI a week early :( But this is awesome, glad these came out Monday instead of Thursday, so I can be sure to get them before I move.

Thanks gunm!!

[quote name='gunm']sidochrome, Aussies and Hawaiians seem to have the same "prime time" for gaming. no guarantees with my crap schedule, but just msg me if you happen to see me online.[/quote]

Well, I'm a bit of a night owl generally, but I'm guessing it's more a latency issue. I'll add you and give it a shot when I get back from my trip in a week's time. Cheers for the offer!

[quote name='Apossum']*score* got a complete copy of Rival Schools on ebay- $34 shipped. Got the guide in a separate auction for $15 shipped.

Anyone else get guides for their fighting games? I don't know why, but I have to have them. and I never use them, except the SF:Anniversary one occasionally.

the PS2 CvS2 guide is my white whale :) Every one I bid on goes up to $15, every one I don't bid on ends below $5 :roll:[/quote]

I try to get them when I can. I like the artwork and the info. Much nicer than a GameFaqs FAQ.

Actually, I have a VF4 guide I need to get rid of since I don't have the game anymore from my downsizing.

[quote name='suko_32']I wanted that Last Blade 2 in 1, but read an unfavorable review. It said something like these games arn't emulated good. It said something like LB 1 and 2 are better on a modded Xbox than this collection. Here's the link:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/01/last-blade-1-2-released-for-ps2-in.html

Though when you get it, please let me know if the issues brought up here are apparent to you.[/QUOTE]

I've heard all the complaints, and most of them come from NG fanboys. See, I knew without reading the link, they were going to quote a Neo Geo fanboy site. Neo Geo fans find a problem with EVERY PS2 and DC re-release, so really, I just tune out what they say, since they are hyper fucking critical of every port ever released.

To be honest, I never played Last Blade, and only briefly messed around with Last Blade 2, so I'm really not getting to notice if it runs slightly slower because I'm not going to take the AES or MVS cart and start comparing side by side.

The sound issue really doesn't bother me.

But yea, I'll report on it when I get it, hopefully by the end of the week. $24 for both games isn't a bad price, for issues I probably won't notice when I play it.

Most of these little flaws don't bother me since I will never go spend the money on an AES / MVS and there could be far worse glitches - look at KoF XI or GG Accent Core.

Maybe if I was a huge Last Blade fan, it would bother me, but I will be surprised if I notice these problems from having barely played the series in my lifetime.

I mean, fighting fans crapped all over the DC port of SF 3 (something like how it was half a second off) and the DC port for Garou (some kind of sound problems, again) and I never noticed either.

What would be awesome is if SNK Japan went back and fixed it, but who knows. Doubt it.

I'm not a huge LB fan, but something really seemed off with LB 1+2 when I played it about a year ago. I forget what exactly it was-- maybe something to do with the graphics and aliasing.

the problem is that capcom (street fighter alpha) and midway took out move list from their fighters. That make it necessary to own the game guide. The sad thing is there is a movelist in the Japanese version.

For the Mavel vs Capcom 2 guide, the dreamcast version should be same as PS2 version. I think that guide fetch decent money on ebay.

SNKP did have the Fatal Fury hat as a preorder bonus, which was kinda neat.

Guilty Gear Slash is good, though i dont see myself going back now that I got Accent Core. Accent Core has the option of using the style from the older GG games, so it is almost like getting the older GG games. There are also new voices and backgrounds. I would say the improvement from Slash to AC is much bigger than the improvement from Reload to Slash. The only downside is that Justice and kliff are finally gone.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm not a huge LB fan, but something really seemed off with LB 1+2 when I played it about a year ago. I forget what exactly it was-- maybe something to do with the graphics and aliasing.[/QUOTE]

It's just like the controller lag for Metal Slug Anthology for PS2 - some Neo Geo fanboys claim it's there and the game is horrible, while other people have claimed it doesn't even exist. Some people have claimed the LB problems are horrible, others don't even notice.

So I guess it's a matter of trying it out myself. If it's really that bad, I'll dump it on Ebay or here or whatever.

I wish I could find a video of it or something and see it with my own eyes.

And Accent Core is horribly glitched, I won't buy it until Arc fixes it. When you have to issue an apology for your own game you know you fucked up :rofl:

Word on the streets is that Arc will be re-releasing Accent Core glitch free - I assume people will have to rebuy it, they haven't said either way.

[quote name='Roufuss']It's just like the controller lag for Metal Slug Anthology for PS2 - some Neo Geo fanboys claim it's there and the game is horrible, while other people have claimed it doesn't even exist.

So I guess it's a matter of trying it out myself. If it's really that bad, I'll dump it on Ebay or here or whatever.

I wish I could find a video of it or something and see it with my own eyes.[/QUOTE]

yeah, you know i'm not an NG fanboy (well, okay, I am a Ninja Gaiden fanboy :p )
but whatever it was, it left a bad enough impression that I remember not wanting to play it.

I've jogged my memory and it was an aliasing problem that made everything look like it was sparkling or flashing really fast. I don't know how to describe it exactly and for all I know, it was just my TV.

[quote name='Apossum']yeah, you know i'm not an NG fanboy (well, okay, I am a Ninja Gaiden fanboy :p )
but whatever it was, it left a bad enough impression that I remember not wanting to play it.

I've jogged my memory and it was an aliasing problem that made everything look like it was sparkling or flashing really fast. I don't know how to describe it exactly and for all I know, it was just my TV.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I mean, I would have grabbed it at $50 a long time ago but the problems I heard made me wait until it either went on sale, or was re-released.

I figure $24 really isn't that bad to give it a shot, and if it really is horrible, well, I can just Ebay it pretty quickly. But I've really wanted to get into the series and this is as close as I'm going to get, since I have no games for the DC and I'm sure as hell not going to move it with me, or hook it up for one game.

But yea, it'll be the first one I pop in to see how it is - but like I said earlier, I probably won't notice shit, since I never played LB 1 and think I put 2 hours or so into the Dreamcast one back in the day, and don't really remember that.

I checked some Youtube vid's for Last Blade 2, and the game is definitely slower than I remember. Might just be the capture equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back