Final Fantasy 7 - PC Version

nickmad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Is there any interest in this game? Is it rare? Whats the deal?

I might be able to get my hands on a new sealed copy and was curious about what it could go for....or if I should keep it.

Thanks

[quote name='nickmad']I saw some other go in the 40 range...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Final-Fantasy-V...2QQihZ020QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess my next question would be....is anyone interesed in a copy?[/QUOTE]

Only the original version (with the 2 sides of the box slanted) is rare. I probably wouldn't bother buying the newer versions with a retangular box and selling it back on ebay, you'll just be wasting your time, unless you can buy 'em in bulk for $5 each.

[quote name='nickmad']yup, its the slanty box.[/QUOTE]

I've seen them go for $100.

Mine was only the game, sleeve, and manual and I got $45.

[quote name='Maynard']one word TORRENT[/quote]

thanks...:roll:
if i was trying to download the game, i think i know where to look.

[quote name='Roufuss']I've seen them go for $100.

Mine was only the game, sleeve, and manual and I got $45.[/QUOTE]

SHIT!!!! I threw away the box 2 years ago

[quote name='Roufuss']I've seen them go for $100.

Mine was only the game, sleeve, and manual and I got $45.[/QUOTE]
I sold my complete copy for $90 earlier this year.

From my experience, I'd say the best way to play FFVII on a PC is to play the PS1 version on an emulator @ 1280x1024 w/ texture filtering. Who needs a remake when you can play the original version in high resolution already.

I was cleaning out my closet today and completely forgot that I bought this 10 years ago. I was surprised to find a thread on this. eBay prices are decent and I was wondering why there was demand for the PC version so after doing some Googling, apparently there are some really cool mods that add higher resolution, Advent Children avatars, more detailed characters, etc.

Original

Higher resolution with actual hands and transparent windows

Battle models replacing LEGO characters and transparent windows

Original battle

Enhanced battle graphics and newer spell names (Blizzara instead of Ice2, Firaga instead of Fire3)

Original character menu

Enhanced menu with Advent Children portraits

A more dramatic scene without the LEGO models

Edit - By the way, I'm pimping this version since I'm looking to trade it when I'm done with it. ;)

[quote name='Kendro']I was cleaning out my closet today and completely forgot that I bought this 10 years ago. I was surprised to find a thread on this. eBay prices are decent and I was wondering why there was demand for the PC version so after doing some Googling, apparently there are some really cool mods that add higher resolution, Advent Children avatars, more detailed characters, etc.

Edit - By the way, I'm pimping this version since I'm looking to trade it when I'm done with it. ;)[/quote]

I gotta ask, does it work w/ new Nvidia cards, and have some bugs worked out? I've bad bad luck w/ FF7 PC on XP, especially w/ newer video cards.

Looks amazing, though, I'd almost be willing to install Win98 to play it if I had to!

[quote name='johnnypark']I gotta ask, does it work w/ new Nvidia cards, and have some bugs worked out? I've bad bad luck w/ FF7 PC on XP, especially w/ newer video cards.

Looks amazing, though, I'd almost be willing to install Win98 to play it if I had to![/quote]
I have no idea. Those screens weren't taken by me, they came as example screenshots from the torrent I downloaded. If anyone wants to download them, I uploaded a zip here.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FCDYEDJT

The zip has about 7 or 8 separate mods that you have to combine in order to make the game look like the version in the screenshot. In other words, it isn't one gigantic super mod. So far I only tried the mod that lets you play in 1280 resolution (the original game only lets you go up to 640).

wow, i still have FF8 PC that I bought 6 years ago. That was a bitch to get it to work properly ... I don't know why I still haven't thrown it away :|

Well, for those who haven't played VII or VII, I'd like to think I have a non-biased perspective as someone who ISN'T very good at role-playing games. I'm a sports gamer at heart. ;)

Final Fantasy VII was an enigma. Like other great series, etc... it's got this brand new story, with brand new characters, and items you've never heard of. Materia? Cloud, but he's a person? What is this game? Like many of the games I've gotten sucked into over the years, I was at a friends house when I saw someone else playing FF VII. It was clear the graphics were top-notch for the time, and the store was interesting. But where to go to buy batteries, so I could move a fan blade and proceed to the top of a plate that held an upper world? That was a lot for someone who's brain doesn't think that way most of the time. Then again, I had trouble with the Zork games too. ;)

Anyway, I was VERY lucky. A buddy who was at the OTHER friends house was a true fanatic about VII. He helped me play it. And in the end, I got ALL the way through the game. I didn't kill Ruby or Diamond weapon (they are called weapon, but they are opponents... crazy huh?), but you didn't need to to take on the final battle and win the game. So that was pretty incredible.

Suffice to say, the story is amazing, the graphics are great, and the characters suck you in. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it. I actually setup my PSP to play such games, and I played about 2 hours each way to and from to and from Dallas recently. I didn't know all the right moves to get special pendants and materia, but I remembered enough of the game to have a general idea of what I was doing. And even when I got a little stuck, I kept going and figured things out. Didn't mean I didn't die a couple times, but it wasn't too bad.

If you like to read, and you like video games, Final Fantasy VII is a must play. I've still got my copy (and it's EXACTLY that) for the PC around here somewhere. I own the PSX version (which is how I put it on my PSP), and that is one I'll never let go. Got it at an EB for $20 used I think, and could sell it for more than I bought it. ;)

Well... if someone gets this running on a PC with the enhanced graphics and it runs ok, I'd love to hear about it. I have a 7800GTX that is dying more more pretty graphics to run on my system. Though my monitor is a 24" Dell widescreen (should have waited for the HDCP 2407), and I don't suppose I can make the game run at 1920x1200. :(

Best wishes!!!

Oh, I was gonna say that Final Fantasy VIII is amazing too. The problem I had was not a lot of other people played it like VII, and when I got lost after a point... I think we left our school to go to another school, and ended up out in the middle of nowhere, and I didn't know the map. I also missed where to buy weapons for my characters, and they weren't doing as much damage as they should. :(

But the point is, VIII is really good too. And this is coming from a guy who would rather play MLB '07 and trade for Albert Pujols. ;)
(Why do the baseball games have to make it SO hard to HIT this year? It's easier to hit in MLB 2K7 on the 360... but the baserunning controls suck and I ALWAYS run past the base I'm going for. :( )

If your talking to me, I have X and X-2... not to mention XII SE, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, and the GBA Kingdom Hearts game. The problem? Not very good at such games, and at 36... I seem to play alone all the time. I've met some good people locally, but we never seem to game at the same time. And when I'm in the mood for Gears of War, everyone else wants to play Call of Duty 3 (bad example, but you get the idea! ;) ).

Anyway, I've never opened my copy of XII or Kingdom Hearts 2... let alone the GBA title, and doubt I'll ever finish the first Kingdom Hearts or FFX. Not that they aren't good games, but I've got too many games, too many systems, and not enough motivation. Oh well...

Okay, after an hour of trying to get this game to run on XP, I give up.

I'll admit, I DL'ed it just to see what the upgrades looked like, but couldn't seem to get past the "insert cd" window, even with dummy discs.

[quote name='guyver2077']that xp patch for ff7 is pretty old.. i remember trying it out a while back...

those mods are awesome though[/quote]

Old, but does it work?

Can you post the " Battle models replacing LEGO characters and transparent windows" mod? This actually makes the game playable to me!!!

[quote name='Scorch']Can you post the " Battle models replacing LEGO characters and transparent windows" mod? This actually makes the game playable to me!!![/quote]
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FCDYEDJT

That has all of the mods in one zip (each separated by folder). I'm pretty computer literate but I couldn't get that mod to work even though there were clear instructions.

I finally found the ISOs I made of my original discs (which I still have) and fired it up yesterday to see if it would work. I got everything working except for the hands mod and the battle models in-game, but I had made enough little tweaks that I probably screwed it up and will have to re-install.

Feeling very optimistic about it ATM, though, too bad I probably won't have the time to play w/ it again until next weekend, but I'll post if I have any luck.

bread's done
Back