Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete [Blu-ray] - $7.99 at Amazon

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Amazon has FFVII: Advent Children Complete on Blu down to $7.99. That's the lowest it's ever been.

Additionally if you order, you get a promo code to see Underworld Awakening in theatres

LINK

Special Features

"Legacy of Final Fantasy VII" Featurette
"Reminiscence of Final Fantasy VII" Original Story Digest
On the Way to a Smile - Episode: Denzel Animated Film
"Reminiscence of Final Fantasy VII Compilation" Story Digest
Exclusive Sneak Peek at Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete Trailers

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI this is $8 at many Walmart's as well in their new blu-ray dump bin, but as far as I can tell it DOES NOT have the Underworld Awakening code.

[quote name='Blumpkin']I still highly recomend the blu-ray, even as a double-dip for DVD owners.[/QUOTE]
Why is that? I ask because even though I have wanted this for a while and it has been cheap for a while, from what I understand it is not that good an upgrade from the DVD.

I'd like to grab it now, but it is late in the game and estimated shipping is 9-13 days. Let's say it only takes half that long, but add 5 or so days due to me not having Prime anymore and the Underworld promotion is over.
I guess I'll just keep waiting to get it.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Why is that? I ask because even though I have wanted this for a while and it has been cheap for a while, from what I understand it is not that good an upgrade from the DVD.[/QUOTE]

Huh?? How is it not an upgrade from the DVD? There should be a huge difference in quality between the DVD and the Blu-ray, and it's gotten some pretty good reviews as far as PQ goes.

Not to mention, the Complete edition Blu has the extended cut with 26+ minutes of extended scenes, as well as new extras.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Huh?? How is it not an upgrade from the DVD? There should be a huge difference in quality between the DVD and the Blu-ray, and it's gotten some pretty good reviews as far as PQ goes.

Not to mention, the Complete edition Blu has the extended cut with 26+ minutes of extended scenes, as well as new extras.[/QUOTE]
Hmmmm, I guess maybe I checked this out on HDD before I started also using bluray.com. Bluray.com says it is really good, HDD says it is 'meh/okay.'
Maybe I was just thinking of the HDD review.

[quote name='dchrisd']It's also $5 after the Upgrade and Save coupon at Best Buy[/QUOTE]

Does this one also have the free promo code for Underworld Awakening?

M

[quote name='ssjmichael']Huh?? How is it not an upgrade from the DVD? There should be a huge difference in quality between the DVD and the Blu-ray, and it's gotten some pretty good reviews as far as PQ goes.

Not to mention, the Complete edition Blu has the extended cut with 26+ minutes of extended scenes, as well as new extras.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure the whole thing is just upscaled, except for the few new scenes they added for the HD version.

Even if that's the case, I'm positive it'll still be an upgrade to the DVD..

Blu-ray.com's review on PQ:
Presented in 1080p utilizing the AVC codec (at an average bitrate of 20Mbps), Advent Children Complete is officially the new demonstration disc for my home theater. Detail through the majority of the film is impeccable, with the finest details becoming noticeable due to the increased resolution. There's still some occasional softness that creeps up from time to time, but it appears to be related to an intentional use of visual effects (such as increased brightness from the large windows of the church, or sand blown by the wind in several outdoor sequences) and didn't diminish my viewing experience. In addition to the reference level of detail, colors appeared bold and vibrant when appropriate (flowers in the church and the crimson of Vincent's cape), or muted and drab in scenes of the desolate landscape. Contrast was as good as I've seen on a Blu-ray release, with Kadaj's wooded lair standing as one of many showcase sequences in the film. The deep blacks of the background help elevate the three-dimensional nature of the glowing trees in the forest, and created a wonderful lighting effect that would not have been possible without perfect black levels and contrast.

My only complaint about the transfer (and the only thing preventing it from receiving a perfect score) is the occasional appearance of aliasing on fine lines. I noticed it several times during camera pans and the best example I can provide would be to look at the top of Cloud's sword at the 1:36:50 mark of the film. It may not be noticeable at a screen size of 50 inches or less, but on a 100 inch screen, even the smallest imperfections become apparent.

Overall, this is a reference-worthy transfer with pristine animation and beautifully incorporated action. If you have a friend who loves anime, and questions the validity of stepping up to 1080p resolution, pop in this disc and welcome him or her to the world of Blu-ray.

I really don't see how this could be an upscale, given that it's a CG film and likely not rendered at the 480 resolution of DVD.

[quote name='The Lord of Awesome']Would this still be good to watch or is it really more for the VII fans?[/QUOTE]
Eh, not really. At least in my opinion. The whole story is rooted deep in the events of the game.

But do yourself a favor and play FFVII. Either an old PS1 copy or download from PSN to PS3 and/or PSP (I loved that paying once bought you two copies of the game). Seven is my second favorite of the Final Fantasy games, following VI.

It's true. Most of the movie is just upscaled and looks very soft/blurry. The new scenes, which are actually HD, stand out.

It seems incredibly lazy. I'm not a CG expert by any means, but couldn't they have just re-rendered the old footage at 1920x1080?

Oh well, at least it doesn't have Gackt.

[quote name='takotchi']It's true. Most of the movie is just upscaled and looks very soft/blurry. The new scenes, which are actually HD, stand out.

It seems incredibly lazy. I'm not a CG expert by any means, but couldn't they have just re-rendered the old footage at 1920x1080?

Oh well, at least it doesn't have Gackt.[/QUOTE]
Are we watching the same movie? I just watched the first 5 minutes of my 2-disc AC Special Edition DVD vs. the first 5 minutes of my AC Complete blu-ray, and it's night and day difference. If that's upscaling, I wish all my DVDs could be upscaled like it. Are there two versions of the blu-ray floating around?

[quote name='simmias']Are we watching the same movie? I just watched the first 5 minutes of my 2-disc AC Special Edition DVD vs. the first 5 minutes of my AC Complete blu-ray, and it's night and day difference. If that's upscaling, I wish all my DVDs could be upscaled like it. Are there two versions of the blu-ray floating around?[/QUOTE]

Obviously upscaling that is done on old material and then put on a Blu-ray is going to look better than your DVD player doing it on-the-fly, but it's still upscaled. Watch the whole movie, and you'll see that it's obvious which scenes are newly added and which are old (because of the quality difference).

[quote name='takotchi']Obviously upscaling that is done on old material and then put on a Blu-ray is going to look better than your DVD player doing it on-the-fly, but it's still upscaled. Watch the whole movie, and you'll see that it's obvious which scenes are newly added and which are old (because of the quality difference).[/QUOTE]
Link to proof it's upscaled? I don't believe you, and neither do my eyes. Rerendered, maybe... but definitely not upscaled from DVD source.

[quote name='simmias']Link to proof it's upscaled? I don't believe you, and neither do my eyes. Rerendered, maybe... but definitely not upscaled from DVD source.[/QUOTE]

I don't really care. Do your own Google search, and get your eyes checked. :roll:

[quote name='houdinilogic']thanks for the link waxHead. looks good to me![/QUOTE]

You're welcome! I was impressed by the updated visuals - now I just need to watch it ;)

The picture of the sun in the sky was the one that really blew my mind! I've had my blu ray player for over a year and it still amazes me with how much better it looks.

Walmart also has FF7: Advent Children in the new 7.88 bin, together with the old Final Fantasy, Crouching Tiger, etc..

bread's done
Back