Final Fantasy VII - PSN only $9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

loserboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
This is a sort of deal and was posted in the discussion thread, but since it's only $9.99 I've posted it in the deals section--mods feel free to move.

Available on PSN right now for only $9.99 is the classic FFVII. As I'm sure you all know this can be downloaded and played on either your PS3 or your PSP...

Why is it though, that we let Squenix and Ninty get away with selling us the same stuff over and over again? Especially when they both take so long to get new stuff out.

[quote name='Capitalizt']The SNES FF games might have had better stories but the graphics are so primitive and pixellated that they are impossible to get immersed in for modern gamers. I know Chrono Trigger was supposedly the best game ever..and I tried playing it on my PS1 last year. It was just plain sad. I'm no graphics whore at all..and actually stuck with it for 5-6 hours but eventually gave up. I felt no connection to the characters.. The weak little 3 frame animations for movement and attacks..pathetic magic spells and sound effects made it impossible to take it seriously. At least FF7 has smooth animation, transparencies, millions of colors, high quality prerendered backgrounds, etc. It is possible to suspend belief when playing it and truly connect with the game world. This isn't possible for old NES and SNES RPG's. I have a feeling if you guys go back to the game now..15 years later, your nostalgia will disappear.. Just look at it..lol
[/QUOTE]

Normally I would disagree with you and be like "You don't know what you're talking about, the old-school games are SO much better than next-gen ones", but I kinda have to agree.

I never played Chrono Trigger when it first came out, and trying to play it on my DS years and years later was painful. I put in about 8 hours before I just had to pack it up. I know everyone says it's one of the greatest RPGs out there, but to be honest I was pretty bored the entire time. I would not have even played it for as long as I did had my friend not boasted about how great it was.

I did play FF6 (FF3 back then) when it first came out and loved it. I suspect if I tried to play it again nostalgia would kick in and I would enjoy it still, but I wouldn't decry anyone who couldn't get into it.

[quote name='hostyl1']Why is it though, that we let Squenix and Ninty get away with selling us the same stuff over and over again? Especially when they both take so long to get new stuff out.[/QUOTE]

Nostalgia.

[quote name='imacgod']If anybody knows of a good deal on PSN cards, I could call this a real deal.[/QUOTE]
Try buying the physical copy online and compare that price to the price of a PSN card + $9.99 for the game. It's a damn good deal, and you may have money left over on your PSN card to buy another game or DLC, and you still paid less overall than the physical copy.

I don't have a PS3 yet but it seems like a sweet deal for a classic. I'm really just waiting for a remake, as well as a real sequel to Chronotrigger since you guys have brought up that game.

[quote name='Atreyu']I don't have a PS3 yet but it seems like a sweet deal for a classic. I'm really just waiting for a remake, as well as a real sequel to Chronotrigger since you guys have brought up that game.[/QUOTE]

A PSP will work as well.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']Im at
Bizzaro Sephiroth
and don't know how to kill him![/QUOTE]

What level are your characters? I sorta rushed through the first time and had to backtrack to level up and gain a few more abilities before I could beat him. Ultima materia helps alot too. Use it if you have it. If not, there are other ways to beat him.

[quote name='Dendaman']It's only natural that we'll see an NES FF compilation, as well as SNES and PS1 compilations, and then eventually later down the line the super uber mega collector's supreme edition with FF I through FF IX (and of course all with inevitable "brand new cutscenes!"). :roll:[/QUOTE]

.....and a remixed rock soundtrack.......with sub-par voice acting........and hidden characters.......yeah.....that'll make 'em a few more million.

[quote name='phantom2k2'].....and a remixed rock soundtrack.......with sub-par voice acting........and hidden characters.......yeah.....that'll make 'em a few more million.[/QUOTE]

I want General Leo in FFVI. :)

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']Im at
Bizzaro Sephiroth
and don't know how to kill him![/QUOTE]

man how in the fuck did you make it that far in 2 days? I swear some people have no life.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']man how in the fuck did you make it that far in 2 days? I swear some people have no life.[/QUOTE]

FF7 can be beaten in one day. Right after beginning Midgar, if you can some how snag BETA, then about half the game (or more) is a total breeze.

For FF7, the speed-runs are under eight hours. :)

Oh my god. I just spent 2 hours trying to get a green MALE Chocobo. Female every damned time.
Except for the times it isn't green...

[quote name='CokeCola']Oh my god. I just spent 2 hours trying to get a green MALE Chocobo. Female every damned time.
Except for the times it isn't green...
[/QUOTE]

mahahahaha..

I found this description of how to do it online.
First you mate the Good chocobo (found in gold saucer area) and the great chocobo. (found in Mideel area) Feed them the Carob Nut (Stolen from Vlakorados which is a monster in the Bone village jungle) Do that until you have two chocobos one green one blue one male one female (obviously). Mate the two together with the Carob Nut and you get the Black Chocobo. Mate that chocobo with a wonderful chocobo (found in Icicle Inn area). Feed them the Zeio Nut (Found on goblin Island you steal them from goblins) BOOM GOLD CHOCOBO

Adn here is a strategy guide that should tell you exactly how to do it: http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/chocobo.php

If you have everything set up perfectly as described and still fail, make sure you save your game before breeding so you can just reset and try again. What you get is determined somewhat randomly.. Just reset, walk a few steps, save the game, then try again. Follow this pattern and every time you restart and the game's "slot machine" will eventually spit out the green male.

Follow strategy guide instructions first..when it comes time to go for the green male..

reset
take a few steps in a random direction
save game
breed
repeat until success

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Capitalizt']mahahahaha..

I found this description of how to do it online.

Adn here is a strategy guide that should tell you exactly how to do it: http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/chocobo.php

If you have everything set up perfectly as described and still fail, make sure you save your game before breeding so you can just reset and try again. What you get is determined somewhat randomly.. Just reset, walk a few steps, save the game, then try again. Follow this pattern and every time you restart and the game's "slot machine" will eventually spit out the green male.

Follow strategy guide instructions first..when it comes time to go for the green male..

reset
take a few steps in a random direction
save game
breed
repeat until success[/QUOTE]
I've been using the proper combination and all, it just always comes out female when it's green. And those two hours were reseting the game and retrying (so... many... times...)! But I haven't been doing that extra save beforehand, so hopefully that will help. Thanks!

Silly question here

Can this game be played on the PSP--or just the PS3. I don't own a PS3, but would be interested in buying this for the PSP.

Thanks

[quote name='BrerDan']Silly question here

Can this game be played on the PSP--or just the PS3. I don't own a PS3, but would be interested in buying this for the PSP.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

You can buy it for PSP. It's the same file.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if you had to have a PS3 somehow.

I appreciate it.

[quote name='ticalmc2k2']You can buy it for PSP. It's the same file.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='imacgod']If anybody knows of a good deal on PSN cards, I could call this a real deal.[/QUOTE]

Certain Wal-marts had PSN cards for $17 for a $20 and $40 for a $50

I'll sell a card for $45

[quote name='Capitalizt']I finally beat it..w0000000000000000000000000000000t! ..and since I'm older, I actually understood the story this time, lol[/QUOTE]

I'm finding I understand it a lot better this time around as well, considering I was 12 when it came out.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm finding I understand it a lot better this time around as well, considering I was 12 when it came out.[/QUOTE]

Or at least as best as it *can* be understood after being given such a terrible translation...

The story is not at all hard to follow in English in spite of the less than perfect translation. Besides the most obvious ("This guy are sick!" etc.) the more common mistakes are with names, items, abilities and such; things which are irrelevant if you're only fluent in English.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='supremebeanjw1']

I never played Chrono Trigger when it first came out, and trying to play it on my DS years and years later was painful. I put in about 8 hours before I just had to pack it up. I know everyone says it's one of the greatest RPGs out there, but to be honest I was pretty bored the entire time. I would not have even played it for as long as I did had my friend not boasted about how great it was.

.[/QUOTE]

Some people don't like CT. But the vast majority agree its one of the greatest RPGS of all time and the artwork/gameplay/story stand up well against any RPG today.

Name a newer JRPG that is better than CT? Honestly if CT had you bored, I can't imagine how you'd make it through ANY JRPG. CT is known for having some of the most playable and fun pacing of the genre.

[quote name='jnam101006']Tell me how the translation made the story hard to understand.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. People WAY overstate the "poor" translation of the game. The only really bad example is when Aeris says "This guy are sick" and that's not even part of the main story exactly. You have to talk to a random NPC for her to say that. There are small problems with the translation, but like the other guy said, it mostly has to do with items and such. There is no reason why the translation should effect one's ability to understand the story. I was 13 when I played FF7 in '97 and I understood it nearly completely, and I never once questioned the translation. Even now it's decent.

"Off course" there are some translation problems ;) We all remember them from the original.

I'm close to the third disc, and like others have also mentioned, I am understanding more this time around. Stands the test of time, IMO. Just wish you didn't have to use the d-pad.

[quote name='ticalmc2k2']People WAY overstate the "poor" translation of the game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I actually like the way that the dialogue keeps the characters plain-spoken.

[quote name='ticalmc2k2']The only really bad example is when Aeris says "This guy are sick"[/QUOTE]

Well, I wouldn't go that far. That whole "so that's how you fooled them" bit in front of Honeybee Manor was pretty incomprehensible.

[quote name='MikeIsGood']"Off course" there are some translation problems ;) We all remember them from the original.

I'm close to the third disc, and like others have also mentioned, I am understanding more this time around. Stands the test of time, IMO. Just wish you didn't have to use the d-pad.[/QUOTE]

I, like some others, just don't see the "translation problem". The game made perfect sense to me at 14...The only portions that confused me were the Genova experimentations/Sephiroth's birth. All I knew was he killed everyone I knew, and he had to pay...Is there really more to it? :D

I'm picking up a PSP soon and this game on PSN is a major reason for that. Can't wait to replay it. My friend just DL'd it, played it and wrote a long review. He knocked it down to a 6 out of 10, but I still can't wait to play it again.

[quote name='expane'] Name a newer JRPG that is better than CT?[/QUOTE]
FFX, Dragon Quest VIII, Shin megami Tensei 3, Kingdom Hearts, Persona 3 + 4, etc.

CT was pretty good at the time, but never held up to other SNES RPGs like Earthbound and FF IV + VI to me personally.

[quote name='expane']Some people don't like CT. But the vast majority agree its one of the greatest RPGS of all time and the artwork/gameplay/story stand up well against any RPG today.

Name a newer JRPG that is better than CT? Honestly if CT had you bored, I can't imagine how you'd make it through ANY JRPG. CT is known for having some of the most playable and fun pacing of the genre.[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about? CT was a terrible, terrible game. You're blinded by nostalgia. It doesn't even remotely stack up to anything coming out these days.

There have been some J-RPGs that have withstood the test of time, but CT is not one of them.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']WTF are you talking about? CT was a terrible, terrible game. You're blinded by nostalgia. It doesn't even remotely stack up to anything coming out these days.

There have been some J-RPGs that have withstood the test of time, but CT is not one of them.[/QUOTE]

You'd better get your flame retardant underwear on, because it's probably gonna get pretty hot in here for you soon. Yikes...

Seriously, though... CT is a classic JRPG that created many of the traditions that you probably take for granted in games today: anime-inspired visuals, replayability (via New Game+), party-based attack combos, non-random battles, and sci-fi as a viable RPG plot device (though, one could argue the Shadowrun did this first).

Edit: Actually, I'm just gonna take this to the general RPG thread. We can disagree there and have a glorious time, leaving this open to FFVII talk.

[quote name='zenintrude']Seriously, though... CT is a classic JRPG that created many of the traditions that you probably take for granted in games today: anime-inspired visuals, replayability (via New Game+), party-based attack combos, non-random battles, and sci-fi as a viable RPG plot device (though, one could argue the Shadowrun did this first).[/QUOTE]

Phantasy Star 4 did party and enemy based attack combos first.

[quote name='placebo1']Phantasy Star 4 did party and enemy based attack combos first.[/QUOTE]

True, and had a sci-fi setting that was integral to the plot... damn my rash posting. Still, it brought all that stuff together into a cohesive whole.

[quote name='zenintrude']

Seriously, though... CT is a classic JRPG that created many of the traditions that you probably take for granted in games today: anime-inspired visuals, replayability (via New Game+), party-based attack combos, non-random battles, and sci-fi as a viable RPG plot device (though, one could argue the Shadowrun did this first).[/QUOTE]

I definitely don't take the underlined for granted :lol:

[quote name='jnam101006']Tell me how the translation made the story hard to understand.[/QUOTE]

Search youtube for Barrett's date. If you're able to see past that translation disaster and enjoy it, then I envy you.

His opinion was wacky and in fact hard to believe but I don't think he was a troll.

I agree that the translation could be better, but at the time it was considered pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back