Final Fantasy XIII $19.99 at Best Buy w/$20 RZ coupon

acidraine

CAGiversary!
This may have been covered in the Best Buy ad forum, but I thought it should have it's own post.

Final Fantasy XIII is on sale at Best Buy this week for $39.99.

Just like Blur last month, if you are a Rewards Zone Gamer Club member, there is a printable coupon for $20 off FFXIII; making the final price $19.99.

Still new so I can't post the link.

This may be YMMV depending on your Best Buy's coupon policy, but it's their own fault that they put out these Gamer Rewards coupons the same weeks they have in-store sales on the games. If BB management gives you guff on this, one of your responses could be that you did the same thing with Blur last month and management gave the ok.

The story suck donkey ball, Marga Carta 2 is MUCH better. I am not hating on the game, I even imported the Hong Kong version for the original voice, but the story DO suck, even for the ff game.

[quote name='Zygote']Works in north tx. Got the ps3 version[/QUOTE]

Confirmed working in Grand Rapids, MI.

Once again, there really shouldn't be a serious issue with YMMV in this case; it's their own coupon. I think the issue with Blur last month was the fact that you had the BB Rewards coupon AND the manufacturers coupon as well; so BB management was more cautious.

There's only one coupon in this instance and it's their own. It's not our fault that they have bad timing with their in-store specials. It's their loss and our gain.

[quote name='leftwing1018']I'm surprised by all the negative feedback on the game. Did any of you actually get past the first 4 chapters (I agree those parts are quite boring) but everything about the game improves as you get farther into the game..

at $20, you really have nothing to lose (except 4-5 hours getting through the first few chapters ;) )[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree. The main issue with the game is that it takes a LONG time for the game to pick up steam and give you a great experience. I didn't start really enjoying the game until after Chapter 11. Regardless of if you love it or you hate it, you will have to invest 4-5 hours in the game to really find out if it's worth it.

So how do you get the rewardzone card that a few people have mentioned in the thread? Is it mailed to you, or do you pick it up in the store?

[quote name='Scorch']well, not to be a downer or anything, but I agree with the "troll".. I played an hour of it and I haven't touched it since.. very disappointed in it. Little touches killed it for me, like the whole party healing and status effects being removed after every battle automatically, or if the party leader dies, it's game over. Also, you can't control anyone else, only the party leader.

There's no denying that it's a very, very pretty game, and the actual gameplay is kinda fun, but it's just... boring.[/QUOTE]

I think that's a good example why the old school JRPG fans were put off by this game. Personally I love that feature. I used to hate in other JRPG's when you'd get your ass kicked in 1 fight, didn't have enough potions/status healers to heal up, and you'd almost be fighting crippled until you finally reached a shop or save point. More often that not if that happened to me, I'd just die a couple fights later and be forced to start from an old save point and probably have to redo all those fights again. In my opinion that didn't make the game challenging, just more tedious.

Which is why I love the FF13 system. I feel I can try to be creative with the battle system and try different things because even if I die, I can pick up right from the same fight. Game certainly isn't without it faults, but personally I like how they set up the combat at the very least.

[quote name='acidraine']Confirmed working in Grand Rapids, MI.

Once again, there really shouldn't be a serious issue with YMMV in this case; it's their own coupon. I think the issue with Blur last month was the fact that you had the BB Rewards coupon AND the manufacturers coupon as well; so BB management was more cautious.

There's only one coupon in this instance and it's their own. It's not our fault that they have bad timing with their in-store specials. It's their loss and our gain.[/QUOTE]

The reason' it's YMMV is because it says right on the coupon that it's not valid on sale prices. Whether or not your cashier reads the fine print on the coupon is the YMMV part. My local Best Buys always, always read the fine print and try their hardest to find reasons to reject their coupons. This wouldn't fly at my store, no doubt about it.

Yep, worked like a charm at the Best Buy I went too (the same BB that I got Blur for $10 btw:) After that I returned my other copy to K-Mart that I got a few months ago for $29.99.

[quote name='Viper45']The reason' it's YMMV is because it says right on the coupon that it's not valid on sale prices. Whether or not your cashier reads the fine print on the coupon is the YMMV part. My local Best Buys always, always read the fine print and try their hardest to find reasons to reject their coupons. This wouldn't fly at my store, no doubt about it.[/QUOTE]
Tell the cashier to scan it. Once he or she does, it will go through.

I beat this game once, and got 100% achievement. It's a decent game, not great. The only reason it sells is because of the series name.

[quote name='gantt']should i go 360 or ps3 on this?

(fanboyz, please move along... Nothing to see here)[/quote]
ps3

[quote name='gantt']Should I go 360 or PS3 on this?

(fanboyz, please move along... nothing to see here)[/QUOTE]

I'm usually one to buy all multi console releases on my 360, but this is one I opted for the PS3.

Convenience of one disc vs three won me over.

[quote name='nekromantix']I'm usually one to buy all multi console releases on my 360, but this is one I opted for the PS3.

Convenience of one disc vs three won me over.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thanks guys, the consensus in the other thread seems to be PS3 as well.

This may be the first title I've bought for PS3 that's not an exclusive. :bouncy:

Bought 2 copies in Best Buy Pasadena, CA. Cashier scanned coupon without any problems. I'm like the others on here, I get the xbox 360 version of any multi console release mainly because the Xbox 360 doens't take performance hits on framerate for a lot of games compared to the ps3. I opted for the ps3 copy mainly because the game was designed in development on the PS3 first(it should run better) and it is on unscratchable one disc blu ray.

[quote name='Alucard400']Bought 2 copies in Best Buy Pasadena, CA. Cashier scanned coupon without any problems. I'm like the others on here, I get the xbox 360 version of any multi console release mainly because the Xbox 360 doens't take performance hits on framerate for a lot of games compared to the ps3. I opted for the ps3 copy mainly because the game was designed in development on the PS3 first(it should run better) and it is on unscratchable one disc blu ray.[/QUOTE]

All reports that I've heard of the comparison of the two is that the PS3 version is clearly superior.

I laugh a bit at the criticism that XIII is too linear given I'm playing FF X on my PS2 right now and that's linear as shit for most of the game. There may be other reasons to criticize XIII, but linearity? Might as well say that for most of the FF series. (Except for XII, which did give you more freedom to roam around.)

[quote name='TheLongshot']I laugh a bit at the criticism that XIII is too linear given I'm playing FF X on my PS2 right now and that's linear as shit for most of the game. There may be other reasons to criticize XIII, but linearity? Might as well say that for most of the FF series. (Except for XII, which did give you more freedom to roam around.)[/QUOTE]

Most of the FF games are indeed fairly linear, with the occasional optional sidequest dungeon. Most of them, however, were better at providing the illusion of nonlinearity.

[quote name='Viper45']The reason' it's YMMV is because it says right on the coupon that it's not valid on sale prices. Whether or not your cashier reads the fine print on the coupon is the YMMV part. My local Best Buys always, always read the fine print and try their hardest to find reasons to reject their coupons. This wouldn't fly at my store, no doubt about it.[/QUOTE]

The thing is that the cashier has no way of knowing the game is "on sale" though. Best Buy has dozens of games that are regularly priced at $39.99 (that are about the same age as FFXIII) so when they ring it up and scan the coupon and everything works fine, they have no reason to think anything is amiss, even if they're looking for it.

[quote name='TheLongshot']All reports that I've heard of the comparison of the two is that the PS3 version is clearly superior.[/QUOTE]

Yep, 360 multi-plat games are generally better because it's easier to build a game on the 360 and then port it to the PS3 than the other way around. FFXIII however is built on the PS3, and ported to the 360.

The PS3 version is one disc (compared to three for the 360 version) and has better graphics. The 360 version runs at a higher framerate but it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

I went for the 360 version because I prefer the controller and I prefer to be logged into XBL when I play so I don't miss any invites to Gears/L4D games if my friends jump on, but if neither of those are an issue for you the PS3 version is the clear choice.

If someone isn't really sure about the game, especially for the PS3 version, Amazon has a trade in offer of ~$23 for FF13 on the PS3. This means you can submit the game for a tradein, and have a week to send it in for Amazon credit, or decide to cancel the trade. The 360 version has a trade in value of $18, so you will lose a little bit of money.

[quote name='sadboy']Tell the cashier to scan it. Once he or she does, it will go through.[/QUOTE]

My point is just that the coupon technically isn't supposed to be valid in this case. If the employee knows that, they probably won't want to use it even if the system accepts it.

[quote name='Vcize']The thing is that the cashier has no way of knowing the game is "on sale" though. Best Buy has dozens of games that are regularly priced at $39.99 (that are about the same age as FFXIII) so when they ring it up and scan the coupon and everything works fine, they have no reason to think anything is amiss, even if they're looking for it.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point. They'd only be able to deny it if they knew about the sale beforehand. That's probably why the coupon goes through for most people without any problems.

[quote name='Viper45']My point is just that the coupon technically isn't supposed to be valid in this case. If the employee knows that, they probably won't want to use it even if the system accepts it.[/QUOTE]

It seems your point is stemming from your saltiness of your local Best Buy not participating in accepting their own coupon. It seems so far you are the only one that has had an issue with this (even though you are issuing past experiences and have not verified whether or not this worked for you in this given instance). My apologies for your inconvenience. Perhaps you should try a different location.

[quote name='Zodiac080704']I just bought this yesterday for $30, anyone know what Sam's Club return policy is? I'd rather save $10.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure it is similar to Costco, theirs is 1 year. I bought a camcorder there recently and found it cheaper, returned it after a couple weeks.

On another note, I had no problems using the coupon at the Burbank, IL Best Buy.

[quote name='Vcize']Yep, 360 multi-plat games are generally better because it's easier to build a game on the 360 and then port it to the PS3 than the other way around. FFXIII however is built on the PS3, and ported to the 360.

The PS3 version is one disc (compared to three for the 360 version) and has better graphics. The 360 version runs at a higher framerate but it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

About the games being built first for 360 because it's easier. it's actually quite harder to port to ps3 after a game is maximized on the xbox. So to make a good multi platform game, games are made from the ground up from the ps3, and then ported to the Xbox 360 because there isn't any downgrading of graphics that need to be made (or the third parties just find the lowest common denominator for graphic engine to be used on both consoles). no choppy framerate problems etc. it's like the Wii and ps2 port syndrome where companies were porting ps2 games to the wii. you can't make a wii game and then port it to the ps2 because the ps2 was slightly weaker. The case for the ps3 is because the video card's memory is split in two 256MB ram while the Xbox 360 uses one big pool of ram for the video card. the average game on the ps3 is programmed using just one of the two 256MB from the video card. THe ps3 isn't necessarily weaker than the xbox, it's just a stupid design that Sony chose and gave headaches to a lot of developers.

[quote name='lordopus99']There is already discussion on this in the following threads...
Best Buy July 2010 Rewardzone Deals: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265934
Best Buy Ad: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267358

It is very pointless to have an additional thread for discussion on this deal. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I acknowledged this deal being in the above links in my original post, however I thought it was necessary to distinguish this specific deal considering the coupon and the in-store special started today. Obviously from the amount of CAG's who have already took advantage of the deal who didn't look into both of the Best Buy links, the post was certainly warranted.

However thank you for taking the time to point this out after it was already acknowledged. Thank you for your continued support and efforts in the CAG community.

just got mine as well and i used friends phone number for his reward zone card, woot

got it from denton texas

[quote name='Alucard400'][quote name='Vcize']Yep, 360 multi-plat games are generally better because it's easier to build a game on the 360 and then port it to the PS3 than the other way around. FFXIII however is built on the PS3, and ported to the 360.

About the games being built first for 360 because it's easier. it's actually quite harder to port to ps3 after a game is maximized on the xbox. So to make a good multi platform game, games are made from the ground up from the ps3, and then ported to the Xbox 360 because there isn't any downgrading of graphics that need to be made (or the third parties just find the lowest common denominator for graphic engine to be used on both consoles). no choppy framerate problems etc. it's like the Wii and ps2 port syndrome where companies were porting ps2 games to the wii. you can't make a wii game and then port it to the ps2 because the ps2 was slightly weaker. The case for the ps3 is because the video card's memory is split in two 256MB ram while the Xbox 360 uses one big pool of ram for the video card. the average game on the ps3 is programmed using just one of the two 256MB from the video card. THe ps3 isn't necessarily weaker than the xbox, it's just a stupid design that Sony chose and gave headaches to a lot of developers.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm ... I'm fairly sure most games today are built on the 360 and ported to the PS3 (at least that is what my friends who work in the industry tell me). The reason for this is that developers like Direct X (which is of course what the Xbox name is alluding to), and the 360 is built around more developer-friendly software.

Now this doesn't apply to all games obviously. Japanese developers seem to be porting in the other direction (take Vanquish, for example), but this might be because the PS3 is so much more dominant in that market. Western developers (where most of my friends are) start with the 360 and port to the PS3.

Just got the Xbox 360 version at BB in Northlake area in GA. If I had a PS3, I'd get that version.
No problems running the coupon through. My advice for those who couldn't get the store to accept the coupon: don't ask! Just hand the coupon over, no need to say anymore. If they don't accept it, move on to another store. It's purely up to the individual store's policy. I was looking at the screen while the coupon scanned through, and it accepted it without any need for override. So the truth is that the system itself will accept the coupon, but the cashier may or may not choose to accept the coupon, which is understandable, since the coupon does state that it's not valid on sale items.
The same thing happened to me when I did the double coupon for Blur, getting it for $12. In this case, the first store turned down my $20 coupon, and the second store accepted both without any problem. So it's really YMMV when it comes to "sale items" and coupons from RZ.

[quote name='acidraine']I acknowledged this deal being in the above links in my original post, however I thought it was necessary to distinguish this specific deal considering the coupon and the in-store special started today. Obviously from the amount of CAG's who have already took advantage of the deal who didn't look into both of the Best Buy links, the post was certainly warranted.

However thank you for taking the time to point this out after it was already acknowledged. Thank you for your continued support and efforts in the CAG community.[/QUOTE]

1) we could essentially have thousands of threads by the deals that Kmart or Best Buy rewardzone program offers alone. This is why I brought it up. I don't think it validates for a new thread, especially for number 2. Granted, I see you just joined June 2010 so I guess it figures :roll:
2) the game isn't that good.

The fact that so many hated this game and feel the need to raid every thread about it, is kind of telling to what kind of consumers they are.

"Oh, Final Fantasy!? Gee history tells me that each of those games are completely different and unrelated to each other but I remember playing a really great one on the PSX/SNES when I was younger so here, take my $60"

Especially for CAGs, I'm truly amused.

Picked up my copy in Athens, GA. Coupon worked without a hitch. Played a bit, seems pretty different, but I haven't played an RPG in awhile, so I'm up for a change.

Thank you for making a separate thread for this dead, otherwise I would not have seen this deal individually among the deals in the BBY ads/deals thread. I was going to get the Asian ver. for the Japanese audio for learning purposes, but for $20 I won't mind the language track. My BBY took the coupon without any problems, just make sure you got your RZ membership card. I really shouldn't start RPGs again after the countless hours of Demon's Souls during this heat wave YLODed my PS3 just yesterday, I hate you summer weather.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The fact that so many hated this game and feel the need to raid every thread about it, is kind of telling to what kind of consumers they are.

"Oh, Final Fantasy!? Gee history tells me that each of those games are completely different and unrelated to each other but I remember playing a really great one on the PSX/SNES when I was younger so here, take my $60"

Especially for CAGs, I'm truly amused.[/QUOTE]

LOL -- so true, so true. I always buy the FF games -- I don't even know why I do since I typically don't find JRPGs very good anymore. It's fine when the cute/craziness is deliberate ala Shadow Hearts Covenant or even Ar Tonelico. But FF tends to straddle that line of wanting to be serious but then always having some terribly bad dialogue that sounds better suited for a second rate anime or ... Ar Tonelico :p

As the graphics have gotten better along with the presentation, this problem has become more glaring. FF just doesn't stack well in the story department against a game like Mass Effect, Oblivion or Fable.

Bottomline: FF13's story was passable but the writing and delivery ... yikes. It might work in Kingdom Hearts but even the hardcore has to admit that some of those sequences were cringe-worthy.

I suppose some CAGs around here buy FF because they feel almost obligated to due to the fact that it usually remains ground-breaking every generation. Sadly, this might be the first one where FF hasn't really done that. It's a beautiful game, sure, but so are a lot of games this time around.

Back to the thread: Thanks OP for posting the deal. Like I said, I think $20 is too much for this one, but I always get the FF games eventually -- the CAG way -- I think I paid $5 for FFXII brand new ... and that's about how much it was worth to me. FFXIII is probably at the $10 mark.

[quote name='romeogbs19']LOL -- so true, so true. I always buy the FF games -- I don't even know why I do since I typically don't find JRPGs very good anymore. It's fine when the cute/craziness is deliberate ala Shadow Hearts Covenant or even Ar Tonelico. But FF tends to straddle that line of wanting to be serious but then always having some terribly bad dialogue that sounds better suited for a second rate anime or ... Ar Tonelico :p

As the graphics have gotten better along with the presentation, this problem has become more glaring. FF just doesn't stack well in the story department against a game like Mass Effect, Oblivion or Fable.

Bottomline: FF13's story was passable but the writing and delivery ... yikes. It might work in Kingdom Hearts but even the hardcore has to admit that some of those sequences were cringe-worthy.

I suppose some CAGs around here buy FF because they feel almost obligated to due to the fact that it usually remains ground-breaking every generation. Sadly, this might be the first one where FF hasn't really done that. It's a beautiful game, sure, but so are a lot of games this time around.

Back to the thread: Thanks OP for posting the deal. Like I said, I think $20 is too much for this one, but I always get the FF games eventually -- the CAG way -- I think I paid $5 for FFXII brand new ... and that's about how much it was worth to me. FFXIII is probably at the $10 mark.[/QUOTE]

Here's an idea. I buy a video game because I want to have fun. If I have fun, I keep playing it. What a novel concept!

[quote name='romeogbs19'][quote name='Alucard400']

Hmmm ... I'm fairly sure most games today are built on the 360 and ported to the PS3 (at least that is what my friends who work in the industry tell me). The reason for this is that developers like Direct X (which is of course what the Xbox name is alluding to), and the 360 is built around more developer-friendly software.

Now this doesn't apply to all games obviously. Japanese developers seem to be porting in the other direction (take Vanquish, for example), but this might be because the PS3 is so much more dominant in that market. Western developers (where most of my friends are) start with the 360 and port to the PS3.[/QUOTE]

You make a good point. most western developers make games on the Xbox first. I figured, it's so much easier to make games on the Xbox 360 with better to reach efficiency than trying efficiency on the ps3. if a game is maximized on an Xbox 360, you'd have a hard time converting the game to run on the ps3 unless the developers use a smaller denominator for the graphics engine. The PS3 is harder to reach efficiency because of the graphics card and the multi CPUs architecture. But I'm pretty impressed by how they ported FF XIII though. you just pick the console version based on convenience (one unscratchable blu ray disc)

bread's done
Back