Final Fantasy XIII $19.99 at Best Buy w/$20 RZ coupon

acidraine

CAGiversary!
This may have been covered in the Best Buy ad forum, but I thought it should have it's own post.

Final Fantasy XIII is on sale at Best Buy this week for $39.99.

Just like Blur last month, if you are a Rewards Zone Gamer Club member, there is a printable coupon for $20 off FFXIII; making the final price $19.99.

Still new so I can't post the link.

This may be YMMV depending on your Best Buy's coupon policy, but it's their own fault that they put out these Gamer Rewards coupons the same weeks they have in-store sales on the games. If BB management gives you guff on this, one of your responses could be that you did the same thing with Blur last month and management gave the ok.

[quote name='kjs7']Got to chapter 8 or so and got bored, I didn't care about the story or the people, and the game was too linear. A friend tells me it gets better around Chapter 10 or so, should I try again?[/QUOTE]

yeah i think it's worth playing through at least once

there is one part coming up where you briefly get to explore a large open region.

[quote name='gospelman']yeah i think it's worth playing through at least once

there is one part coming up where you briefly get to explore a large open region.[/QUOTE]

well, you don't "briefly" explore it. you can spend as much time in it as you want and its huge. there are also about 100 hunts to do there, which will take damn near forever to finish.

also, you go back there after beating the game to finish hunts and upgrade weapons and stuff.

the game sucks, but that one part is really, really awesome. the battle system is amazing when you finally get full control over it.

Got the last FFXIII on 360. No PS3 versions.

It helps to get a cashier who does not work in the electronics. My cashier had no idea the game was on sale, and he read the coupon!

Aren't reward certs supposed to work like cash? I was going to pass on this deal but I just noticed I have $10 waiting for me. I'd gladly pick it up for $10.

[quote name='apathylad']Did anyone hear about FFXIII messing up PS3's? I'm worried about that.[/QUOTE]

Nothing serious, some people's game froze but that's not really anything out of the ordinary for PS3s in general.

Mine froze after like 12 hours of straight play. I didn't think anything of it. The game has plenty of save points.

[quote name='kjs7']Got to chapter 8 or so and got bored, I didn't care about the story or the people, and the game was too linear. A friend tells me it gets better around Chapter 10 or so, should I try again?[/QUOTE]

Save your money. I don't know why some people only find enjoyment in the game when you can run around a field and kill stuff (is this 1995?), but it's not really all that less linear.

Bottom line -- watch a YouTube video. Everything there is to complain about can be cited in a couple trailers and developer articles.

[quote name='apathylad']Did anyone hear about FFXIII messing up PS3's? I'm worried about that.[/QUOTE]

My brother played through the game fine on his PS3 as did I on my PS3.

Worked in Tualatin, OR. Only store near me showing PS3 copies left. Girl had to tell the computer to accept the coupon after she scanned it, but no problems for me. Plus she was smoking hot.

[quote name='Spokker']
They wouldn't take my $5 reward zone certificate though, but I happily withdrew it and said I would use it another time.

[/QUOTE]

That's total bullshit right there. Reward certs are a payment (like cash) and not a coupon. They should never be rejected.

[quote name='Josef']That's total bullshit right there. Reward certs are a payment (like cash) and not a coupon. They should never be rejected.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Josef is totally right. Reward certs are cash and that cashier goofed up. You should have been able to use it in conjunction with the coupon. You could take the cert and the receipt to customer service next time and ask them to do it for you. If you explain to them what happened, they should be wiling to do a return and resell it with the cert.

Finally grabbed a PS3 copy today, no problems. $20 was my entry point for this game, so I'm happy. On an even more thrilling note, the clearance section at one of my local BB's has returned! :)

cashier ran it through today, i had 25 in rz gc, so i gave her skate 3, the rz ffxiii coupon, then ffxiii, she rang it all through then i gave her rz gc and she says "man, youre getting all kinds of deals today lol" i said yup and paid 35 out of pocket for two bad ass games. thanks cag!

Well I ended up biting on this deal. $20 for a game that just came out not too long ago isn't a bad deal at all. Not to mention for as much game time as there is to be had from this, I think it may be well worth it... On another note, my cashier let me keep my coupon... Maybe I'll go back for seconds for my friends.

Chapter 11 and beyond feels like an entirely different game, for the better. I was the same way man, hated the first 10 tutorial chapters and almost didn't make it.

[quote name='Josef']That's total bullshit right there. Reward certs are a payment (like cash) and not a coupon. They should never be rejected.[/QUOTE]I agree, but I did not feel like arguing with the very large woman at the register about it, and there was a long line and only one register open. Her excuse was that to use both the $5 certificate and the coupon would be "double dipping."

Correcting it would be more annoying than anything else. I'll just use it some other time.

Thanks for the head up OP, I had no problems picking this up. Not a huge fan of square, but I figure this will be the cheapest that I will see it for a long time.

And alas, that's the problem with the game. Everyone's right that it picks up quite a bit and it is the rare FF in that I do admit that it gets better as it goes (which is not what I can say about FF10 or heck, even FF8 or 9 -- less so on FF8).

I thought it even picked up visually.

Sadly, the problem here is that the designers never thought to think, "man, we're going to make them play through until Chapter 11 before it gets real fun?"

Crazy.

[quote name='Spokker']I agree, but I did not feel like arguing with the very large woman at the register about it, and there was a long line and only one register open. Her excuse was that to use both the $5 certificate and the coupon would be "double dipping."

Correcting it would be more annoying than anything else. I'll just use it some other time.[/QUOTE]
It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.

Thank you very much, OP! :)

I initially passed on this game since I had such a huge backlog. Now my backlog is even bigger, with dozens of huge releases coming this year... but fuck it. For this price, I had to get it. I got some unexpected extra cash for my birthday, anyway. I paid $21.74 after tax.

I'm a series noob. I got FF I & II: Dawn of Souls back in the day and didn't like it. I downloaded FFVII when I got my PS3 in December. It was a decent game, but the graphics and controls were hard to get used to. I made it about 5 hours in, to the Shinra building, and then lost my data when I had to send in my system for repairs.

But I've done my research on this one and think I'll like it. Only problem is...

*looks at list of 50+ games in my collection from this generation that need finishing*
*cries*

I have horrible insomnia... I just wish that I could be alert and able to accomplish things while heavily sleep deprived. Then the list would get cut down by quite a bit. But hey, I needed more PS3 games. ;)

[quote name='sadboy']It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.[/QUOTE]
She was humming as she read the coupon. Does that count?

By the way, loving "auto-battle." Square shook off all pretenses that Final Fantasy is some kind of game. It's an interactive movie. ;)

I have the 360 version but wouldn't mind getting the PS3 one for $20, too bad its OOS around me. Might check later this week if its in stock.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']. . .wouldn't mind getting the PS3 one for $20, too bad its OOS around me. [/QUOTE]

My local store has 18 copies of the 360 port but no PS3 versions. Thus, I picked up a 360 port on the off-chance that I'll be able to exchange it for a PS3 model somewhere within 30 days.

Worked great for me too in Arlington Heights, IL- The store clerk even congratulated me on the great deal/price! Got my PS3 copy and they still have at least 5 there. Thanks OP!

Had to bite on this deal, just because everybody hyped it up for me!!! I was playing the Final Fantasy Dissidia and can of didn't like, hope Final Fantasy XIII is way different if not I'm gonna have to trade it in to Amazon or something!!! Oh yeah, had no problem using coupon on game. If anyone has a POP coupon from the Gamer Magazine they aren't using PM!!!

[quote name='The McMuffin Fanboy']Lol, this game is like CoD with FF combat. When does it stop being 1 way only?[/QUOTE]

about 20-25 hours into the game-- chapter 11. you can spend as much time as you want in that area, but chapters 12 and 13 go back to linear hallways. then after you beat the game, you go to the open spot again for post-game sidequests.

I had a great experience at the Port Charlotte, Florida BB store. First I hit the clearance section and bought:

1) Riddick (360) $9.99
2) IL-2 Birds of Prey (360) $12.99
3) Overlord 2 (360) $8.88

Then I go to find FF XIII and I spot the clerk doing inventory. I tell him about the $20 off coupon for FF XIII. I asked him if I needed the coupon he said let me login with my smart phone to bestbuy.com.

So he gets the SKU and tells me to give it to the checkout person. So this is where it gets better. I told him I really wanted the PS3 version as i've always played FF on the PlayStation. He says he's all out. I then asked, how about if I buy it now can I return it unopened and do an exchange for the PS3 version. He says I don't know check with customer service.

So I go to the CS desk and they said it shouldn't be a problem. The other guy at the CS desk orders it online for me and applies the discount and waived the shipping fee and it's being mailed to me for $19.99

Yowzer, now that's bad ass customer service. I didn't even need the coupon. :cool:

[quote name='KratosGOW2525']Is this permanent? When does it expire[/QUOTE]

When BB's sale ends, which is this Sat.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']There's one sort of near me that has it in stock. If I order for in store pick up can I still use the coupon?[/QUOTE]

Unless something has changed, I don't believe GC coupons are usable online.

[quote name='GreatDoink']Worked great for me too in Arlington Heights, IL- The store clerk even congratulated me on the great deal/price! Got my PS3 copy and they still have at least 5 there. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

not anymore! i grabbed a ps3 copy from the same store today and now there is only 2 left

My buddy got it today right at closing time. Handed her the game and coupon at same time, she scanned game, asked for RZ number/info, then scanned coupon. Easy as that, thanks CAG :)

[quote name='Rodster']Is the PS3 the better version? :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
Yes everything is sharper on the PS3. The cutscenes on the 360 look like youtube video quality.

[quote name='Rodster']Is the PS3 the better version? :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

IMO, the in-game graphics are pretty similar (was pretty hard for me to spot the differences without looking at screenshots). But on PS3 the game's all on 1 disc (vs 3 DVD's for 360) and the prerendered cutscenes look significantly better. Basically the game's more than fine on 360, but if you have the option, really no reason not to go with the PS3 version.

I have to say, I just played ~2 hours of this, and good LORD does it really disappoint! It's like the Square/Enix folks are stuck in 1987 w/ some of the worst dialogue, voice-overs, etc. Sure, it's DAMN pretty! But it is literally painful to play. All I did was watch a cut scene...walk forward, attack...walk forward, attack....cutscene....repeat.

What happened to the FF series?!?! Other series have evolved in gameplay...but it seems like the FF games don't want to change. Or if they do, it's minor tweaking (for better or worse).

Just really disappointed in this one...especially w/ some of the better games out there!

FF XIII was more fun when I turned off the map. Past FF games where just as linear but didn't advertise it with a on screen map like this one.

bread's done
Back