Final Fantasy XIII-2 Announced. Coming out 2011 in Japan

I finished the demo. It seemed like a good selection to put in the demo. I definitely enjoyed it and I look forward to getting the full version in three weeks. The map was definitely more varied and twisty. Several places where there were alternate routes. There were a couple of optional missions to take on. Definitely promising especially for what seems to be a fairly early game segment. I enjoyed XIII but I look forward to this one being a little more open.

I didn't have a problem with it but I don't recall having a problem with the camera in XIII either, although I recall a few times during battles that I couldn't see the part of the field I wanted. I also know I saw some camera settings when I went it to change the default off auto-battle but I didn't play with them at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to try this demo. Ff13 didn't sit well with me and I was one of the fanboys going in that rebuked all of the criticism. This one looks damn good tho and the collectors edition is nice. The demo will make it or break it for me.

Just finished the demo and I must say, they really improved quite a bit from the original. The monster system is really nice and exciting and a nice change. I don't know if it was just me, but some of the scenes, especially in the video that plays right at the end where it shows Lightning, were kinda choppy and not as smooth as everything else. Maybe because it was a video? But I saw a bit of it during the boss fight in the demo as well.

Regardless, the open town and optional quests were pretty cool as well. Really looks great. Made it go from a 'maybe' to a 'must-buy' now. Only thing is to decide whether or not to pick up the CE or not. Don't want it to be rare. :l

excited, this one is. i thoroughly enjoyed XIII, if only for the "grand story" it felt like i was involved in.

[quote name='Luxuria']

Regardless, the open town and optional quests were pretty cool as well. Really looks great. Made it go from a 'maybe' to a 'must-buy' now. Only thing is to decide whether or not to pick up the CE or not. Don't want it to be rare. :l[/QUOTE]
same. I'm getting it.

So I played the demo. No dice. I really enjoyed the battle system in FF13, but what I played in 13-2 didn't excite me. Oh well. Maybe FF really is dead for me. queue sad face. :(

I liked it. And this is coming from someone who ultimately liked FF13 a lot, so I wasn't exactly clamoring for huge changes, but the changes they did make were refreshing and seem like they could make for a pretty great game. Honestly, the biggest relief for me was that despite all appearances to the contrary, Noel actually seems like a pretty cool guy, not the insufferable JRPG teen I was afraid we might have to spend the whole game saddled with.

I have died at least 5 times, and can not beat atlas. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I don't survive long enough to get him staggered.

Finally won; just grinded.

[quote name='Gamehead']I have died at least 5 times, and can not beat atlas. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I don't survive long enough to get him staggered.

Finally won; just grinded.[/QUOTE]
Did you switch to SEN/SEN whenever he readied his big punch attack?

[quote name='Gamehead']I have died at least 5 times, and can not beat atlas. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I don't survive long enough to get him staggered.

Finally won; just grinded.[/QUOTE]

Did you use the machine Alyssa mentioned to weaken him or did you go after him right away?I think they expected people to use that in the demo so they would get a sample of the puzzles.

Downloading now :) Can't wait to give it a shot. I was another one in the minority that really enjoyed the first one! Granted, my expectations were really low coming in because of all the hate it got. Either way, I'm sure it will be awesome but I doubt I will get it on release.. Who knows though. It comes out exactly 1 week after my birthday and maybe I will break my rule of not buying games on release date :p

*EDIT*
Well, I played the demo for about an hour and I must say, there is a ton of changes/additions. First of all, the Crystarium. I kind of liked the old one better than this one. It's not as easy to see your upcoming bonuses as it was in the first one. Also, the option it gives once you expand the Crystarium. I guess it's kind of cool in a way that they let you choose what to go for first; whether it be the extra ATB slot off the bat, or the class bonuses.

Secondly, the monsters popping out of no where. Not really sure if that was just this area, but it was kind of annoying in a way. The old one, you could actually see your monsters on the screen/map whereas with this one they just fall out of the sky (time warp, or something?) Also seemed kind of lame that all you have to do to get a pre-emptive strike was strike them immediately instead of sneaking up behind them. I was kind of confused with it at first considering there was no mention of it (I barely skimmed through the data log, might have been a mention in there.)

Third, Monster System. I basically messed around only with the first two monsters they give you. I pretty much had the Zwenburg thing under all my Paradigms. The Cait Sith could be mighty useful as having a Medic on you at all times with two attacking classes. What I don't seem to get though: Are we going to be limited to two characters only with the addition of one monster or what? I have not been researching anything at all about this game. Are Noel and Serah the only two characters you get to play as through the entire game? I guess that's ok since I'm assuming there are a ton of monsters to choose from. They also don't seem too hard to level up.

Fourth, exploration. I guess they really tried to get away from the linearity of the first one because this one seems to have a lot of room for you to explore. Without dissecting the Demo too much, I was given two opportunities for Missions from random people walking around. It's nice having the option there but hopefully they didn't overdue it. The Paradox thing was ok too, I guess. Depending on how often those things pop out, I can see them becoming more of a nuisance than anything.

Fifth, equipment. I noticed you get three Accessory slots off the bat this time around, but the introduction of that point system. Again, I haven't researched much but did they get rid of leveling up your accessories and stuff? I guess putting that point restriction is kinda nice as it makes you think about what accessories you should use. Two mediocre, or one good etc. They also seemed to have drifted away from solid numbers (HP + 100) to strict percentages. I remember abusing Potions and Doctors Code for the a good part of the beginning in the first game and it came to bite me in the ass because I never learned to use my Medic properly, lol.

Also as a tip. You start off with 20 something Phoenix Downs. They sell for 500 a piece. I ended up selling them and getting some money to level up my monsters/buy equipment. I got the Zwenburg to level 20 before he leveled up and seemed to need a different material to gain more levels. I tried going for Atlas without touching the machine, but I was killed instantly on all occasions. I even set my chars to SEN/SEN but they only survived the first blow, before dying to the second. I guess you really have to go for that machine before you can progress. By the way, did anyone else find it really hard to 5 star battles? I barely got any 5 stars, even when getting Pre-Emptive Strike..

Overall, the game looks promising but at the same time a lot different than the first. Obviously, 1 hour on the Demo is not nearly enough for me to adjust to the things but I am sure if I spend more time with it I would get accustomed to it. I went over to ps3trophies.org and checked out their Road Map. Main Story says 20 to 30 hours with another 20 to 30 hours to complete the rest of the achievements (40~60 hours to 100%). The first one was (75 to 100 hours to 100%) Took me about 70. I might just hold off for a sale of $40 at least. But we'll see..

Woops.. guess I rambled on quite a bit more than I thought.. LOL sorry guys

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Did you switch to SEN/SEN whenever he readied his big punch attack?[/QUOTE]

It took me a few attempts before I though of switching to Sens. I had not bothered to use the Sen monster, until after I died a couple times.

[quote name='elaine_of_shalott']Did you use the machine Alyssa mentioned to weaken him or did you go after him right away?I think they expected people to use that in the demo so they would get a sample of the puzzles.[/QUOTE]

My very first attempt was running straight at him. I went down in one punch.

A huge problem I had was wound damage. I couldn't figure out for the longest, why my heals were not being effective. I played 13 but don't remember much about the system.

If I switch to Sen types right away will I instantly receive the damage reductions?

[quote name='bigpimpin24']I went over to ps3trophies.org and checked out their Road Map. Main Story says 20 to 30 hours with another 20 to 30 hours to complete the rest of the achievements (40~60 hours to 100%).[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up that the roadmap is up. I wanted to be sure I was aware of any missables before I started playing. Thankfully FF13 didn't really have any missable achievements.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Thanks for the heads up that the roadmap is up. I wanted to be sure I was aware of any missables before I started playing. Thankfully FF13 didn't really have any missable achievements.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it doesn't seem to be too bad. Looks like instead of using missions for end game content, they decided to roll with "Fragments" Apparently you must do something unique to acquire these fragments so that's pretty nice. In Final Fantasy 13 the mission system basically was: Find Stone, look for monster, return to stone. While it was very basic, something about it just made it fun. I imagine this will be fun too.

Digital Foundry demo analysis

The 360 port is now running at the same resolution as the PS3 version (yay!), but the framerate is worse (boo!). And though there is far less emphasis on FMV in this game, the PS3 is still going to have the better-looking, less compressed movies.

So the PS3 is still the preferred version, but the gap is much smaller this time. (I'm currently playing FF13 on PS3 after finishing the 360 version, and let me tell you, it is a night-and-day graphical difference.)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Digital Foundry demo analysis

The 360 port is now running at the same resolution as the PS3 version (yay!), but the framerate is worse (boo!). And though there is far less emphasis on FMV in this game, the PS3 is still going to have the better-looking, less compressed movies.

So the PS3 is still the preferred version, but the gap is much smaller this time. (I'm currently playing FF13 on PS3 after finishing the 360 version, and let me tell you, it is a night-and-day graphical difference.)[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. I bought FF13 for PS3 originally like a month or two after it came out and paid $29 for it.. Welp I never play my PS3 and I still have it sealed. I then snagged a 360 copy during a B2G1 and played through it. I just prefer achievements over trophies. Kinda crazy they got it on one disc though..

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Kinda crazy they got it on one disc though..[/QUOTE]
They ditched all of the FMVs this time around. The nice thing is that Serah and Noel will show their actual equipped costumes and weapons in cutscenes because they're being rendered in real time.

Do any of you guys use the black wired MS controller? I've been using it(for the demo and FF13) and I have a problem when I press up on the analog stick. My character walks rather than runs and it's only when I press up on the analog stick. Any other direction and my character runs that direction flawlessly. The white wireless controller doesn't have this problem. The reason I ask is because I am thinking about getting another black wired MS controller assuming mine is just defective.

[quote name='nasum']anyone get the game yet?
I heard there's a $20 gift card somewhere[/QUOTE]

I've got it. No gift card anywhere, though I am Canadian... and my copy is the PS3 version... and it's the Collector's Edition... Would like to know where you heard that it comes with a gift card.

If anyone has any issues installing the game, try signing out of all profiles then installing.

Apparently a select few people aren't able to install the game. My wife got the limited edition version, maybe thats why? No idea. But that's the work around.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to go about selling/trading the Omega pre-order code? eBay is a crapshoot with its copyright rules on such things...

Really excited to start playing this one... soon, soon :)

OK bumping this for people who bought this at BB for $15 and b/c I need HELP and I trust the people here. Asking for help on GameFAQs is so bad ...

Anyway I'm at the boss in chapter 3, part 1 that you have to beat to meet Hope. I have tried to beat this boss about 20 times and the best I can do is get him to 25-50% health left. I have Serah as a lvl 30 ravager, lvl 15 commando; Noel is lvl 33 commando, lvl 9 ravager; and I have a lvl 14 Cat Sith medic, lvl 20 Pulse Knight sentinel, and a lvl 10 Uridemmu commando.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='MSUHitman']What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

You're under leveled. Go level up some more or change to difficulty to Easy.

I seriously have to level grind to beat the 4th boss in the game?! Thanks but man that's horrible game design by SE. Glad I only paid $15 for this.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I seriously have to level grind to beat the 4th boss in the game?! Thanks but man that's horrible game design by SE. Glad I only paid $15 for this.[/QUOTE]

First RPG?

Umm no. I've beaten tens of RPG's in my lifetime, but for the game to be designed to where I get to the 4th boss and I've fought 90% of the random battles thrown at me (not counting the behemoth at the beginning of 3-1 the game tells you to avoid) and I've properly used the leveling mechanic and I'm too weak to beat the boss put in front of me? That's just bad game design.

Compare that to something like Dragon Age, Witcher 2, or even Mass Effect when you rarely, if ever, have to go outside the quests provided just to fight monsters to gain levels. Compare it to the best JRPG's like the Tales series, earlier FF games, Lost Odyssey, etc. where you have made significant progress, or are at the end of the game, before you have to level grind to beat your next obstacle.

Which boss is it again Hitman? I agree that "grind more" probably isn't the answer. :lol:

It's not the giant tomato flan is it? You're not supposed to be able to beat that boss on a first playthrough, you're supposed to leave and go somewhere else.

Got about 12 hours in this so far. So far, I have not had a single problem yet. I just run RAV/RAV/COM then switch to RAV/RAV/RAV for just about every battle. I have yet to use a MED/SAB/SYN. I have used SEN though. Most of the bosses I've fought so far have all died in 1 Stagger. I guess it's not too bad for me since I kind of remember how the battle system works from the first game.

So far I'm really enjoying it though. It's pretty cool that you can pretty much go wherever you want, but most places are usually too hard. I wasn't supposed to be able to take on Feral Behemoths, but I was killing them for a decent amount of time with help from my Pulsework Soldier.

The story is getting to be pretty confusing with running into the same people across the timelines and them having different personalities (?) Still, the graphics are amazing and the music is good and I have a general idea of what's going on. Hopefully the boss battles start to pick up a little bit though.

Thanks for ressurecting this thread Bigpimpin! I was looking forit earlier but couldn't find it.

I just got the game from the gamefly sale. I noticed there is a ton of dlc for it, any suggestions on what is good to buy at the beginning of the game? I know to avoid the lightning dlc until after the game.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Thanks for ressurecting this thread Bigpimpin! I was looking forit earlier but couldn't find it.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem. Then I realized there's a setting in the bottom left corner that only displays threads up to a certain time. Mine was set at "Display threads in the past month" So this one was cut off.

As for the DLC: From what I have read, pretty much the majority of the DLC is better post game. Some of the monsters you get can make the game extremely easy or so I've read. I haven't got any of the DLC yet and I'm not sure if I even will. The only one that might be a possibility for me is the second Lightning one since it supposedly clears up the ending.

They are mostly all Colosseum battles which wouldn't be worth it for me because although I enjoy the battle system, I can't imagine keeping too busy fighting the same battle over and over.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Got about 12 hours in this so far. So far, I have not had a single problem yet. I just run RAV/RAV/COM then switch to RAV/RAV/RAV for just about every battle. I have yet to use a MED/SAB/SYN. I have used SEN though. Most of the bosses I've fought so far have all died in 1 Stagger. I guess it's not too bad for me since I kind of remember how the battle system works from the first game.

So far I'm really enjoying it though. It's pretty cool that you can pretty much go wherever you want, but most places are usually too hard. I wasn't supposed to be able to take on Feral Behemoths, but I was killing them for a decent amount of time with help from my Pulsework Soldier.

The story is getting to be pretty confusing with running into the same people across the timelines and them having different personalities (?) Still, the graphics are amazing and the music is good and I have a general idea of what's going on. Hopefully the boss battles start to pick up a little bit though.[/QUOTE]

OMG have i been playing wrong? i thought commandos do more damage to staggered enemys and ravagers are there to just chain up to staggered

Well it depends on your focus. You're pretty much right in that RAV is to chain up the stagger. The reason I start off with a COM though is because they make the Stagger bar not drain as fast. Once I get that hit in, I switch over to triple RAV so I can boost the Stagger extremely fast. I switch back and forth between the two but the higher the stagger % = more damage

So if a monster is staggered at 200%, you will do double damage to it. Doesn't matter if you're a COM or a RAV. You can keep chaining this up all the way up until 999% though in which case you will do 10 times normal damage until the bar runs out. Even though my Noel is not really good at the RAV role, he still does decent enough damage that I'll use him just to increase the meter. That way when I do a Paradigm shift to refill my ATB guage, he will do a lot more damage as a COM

bread's done
Back