Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

No, the summon brings down both legs for you automatically. It doesn't do any damage to them, it just disables them. That's just how it works, don't ask...

He will get up, but in the time he's down you can debuff, stagger, and spam death on him. If it hasn't landed by the time he's back up, you retry the battle because the % chance that Death has to hit him while he's standing up with no debuffs and 100% chain is 1%, which isn't worth it. Belladonna/Malboro Wang works amazingly well too.

The chapter four boss is so fucking hard. Does anyone have any tips? Like what different paradigms you used?

Nevermind; beat it. I used Rav/Med Rav/Rav paradigms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I going to have to Libra one of these things first before it drops a Trap?

Because if I have to spend hours upon hours constantly resetting at this one save point...

Should I be going after Adamantoises or Long Guis?

[quote name='KingBroly']Am I going to have to Libra one of these things first before it drops a Trap?

Because if I have to spend hours upon hours constantly resetting at this one save point...

Should I be going after Adamantoises or Long Guis?[/QUOTE]

No. It's random. I use a tortoise that's right next to a save point. I've gotten 2 traps and about 10 platinum ingots in like, 30 fights.

[quote name='seanr1221']So is the general consensus to not bother upgrading weapons until chapter 9?[/QUOTE]

It won't hurt to upgrade earlier, but if you really want to make the most of your materials and pick the right weapons to upgrade, waiting is best.

Who is everyone using as their final in-game party? I just beat Chapter 9, so Im trying to decide what would be the smartest choice of characters. Im keeping Lightning in my party regardless, hot woman power FTW!!

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']Who is everyone using as their final in-game party? I just beat Chapter 9, so Im trying to decide what would be the smartest choice of characters. Im keeping Lightning in my party regardless, hot woman power FTW!![/QUOTE]
The best, in my opinion is Lightning/Hope/Fang. Very diverse setup that's able to do pretty much everything.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']Who is everyone using as their final in-game party? I just beat Chapter 9, so Im trying to decide what would be the smartest choice of characters. Im keeping Lightning in my party regardless, hot woman power FTW!![/QUOTE]

I used Light/Hope/Fang for most of the game and had no problems. With those 3, you cover all of the classes.

Using upgraded weapons brings down the target time for all fights, so you might end up with very low ratings if you upgrade early. Crystarium upgrades are way, way more important than weapon/acc upgrades until postgame, so there's no need to upgrade in Ch9, 11, or even until the final boss. You're just going to give yourself a harder time 5starring fights.

Fang is THE best character in the game. For the other two you need either Vanille or Hope, I use both. Lightning is fine as a replacement, but just know that ranged attackers are better than melee because they don't have to physically run up to the enemy, and most of their skills home in whereas Fang/Lightning/Snow can miss with their attacks if the enemy moves or repositions.

I was really hoping to go with Lightning/Fang/Vanille, but I would like to have a Synergist and Sabatour rather than two Sabs. That's the only reason why I've kept the Lightning/Fang/Hope combo so far. I like Sazh, but I like Vanille more.

Thanks for the input guys. I remember asking for help with the upgrade system before and Myke posted something but it was a bit confusing.

Does the game explain more than just "You can use your spoils to upgrade!"?

Strat. guide says Lightning/Fang/Hope and to turn the other three into super soldiers Snow/Sent., Sazh/Syng., Vanille/Medic. So I'll stick with that til for now.

[quote name='seanr1221']Thanks for the input guys. I remember asking for help with the upgrade system before and Myke posted something but it was a bit confusing.

Does the game explain more than just "You can use your spoils to upgrade!"?[/QUOTE]

Not really. Bonus/negative multipliers aren't really explained at all, and it's definitely confusing if you don't know what you're doing. You could be literally wasting millions of gil if you don't calculate things beforehand.

The concept of "supersoldiers" is complete bullshit. If you go that route the specialized characters will be so underpowered compared to the ones you're leveling evenly it's not even funny. Don't do that.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Not really. Bonus/negative multipliers aren't really explained at all, and it's definitely confusing if you don't know what you're doing. You could be literally wasting millions of gil if you don't calculate things beforehand.

The concept of "supersoldiers" is complete bullshit. If you go that route the specialized characters will be so underpowered compared to the ones you're leveling evenly it's not even funny. Don't do that.[/QUOTE]

If you could point me towards a guide for dummies, that would be awesome :)

I don't see myself using Snow, I like his character but I'm not fond of his fighting style, plus with Fang able to be a Sentinel and Sab I think I'm covered well on that end.

Prinny, does it change the target time via the actual weapon level or tier? I've noticed I've been having a hard time 5starring a lot of stuff lately, had no idea it was possibly my weapons that were doing it.

[quote name='halfbent']Prinny, does it change the target time via the actual weapon level or tier? I've noticed I've been having a hard time 5starring a lot of stuff lately, had no idea it was possibly my weapons that were doing it.[/QUOTE]

I believe it goes by your overall attribute total for Strength/Magic.

Oh yeah, and when you level up your crystarium, what does that technically do? I just got Lightning to level 2 for commando but it doesn't explain what that means.

I'm not sure, there's really no point (for the most part) to upgrade the weapons which don't scale well, so I end up using the weapons with the most Str/Mag on them. It could be that stat alone, or it might be a mix of item rank and/or current level, dunno :/

Just in my experience the huge dip in target time is not worth it when you don't need the extra stats from the weapons. Not to mention
the trophy for the last boss is near impossible if you stack your team

Role Levels basically increase the effect of the class every level you gain.

COMs buff their own damage and the party's (passive boost as long as they remain that class)
RAVs increase the chain boost for self/allies
SENs reduce damage taken by self/allies
MEDs increase the amount of healing done to self/allies
SYN increase buff duration on self/allies
SAB increases the chance for self/allies to land debuffs on the enemy

The effect on the "self" (the person who is actually that class) is always higher than the effect on the party members. So, a COM might have a 200% dmg modifier, and grant the other 2 members a 5% damage increase at the same time. SENs might reduce the damage the party takes by 10%, but the SEN himself will take 20% less damage, etc... These effects are cumulative, so that's why stacking 3x of a class is helpful (SEN/SEN/SEN to mitigate a huge, ultimate attack), (COM/COM/COM when chain is at 600%+ or so you can really nuke the crap outta the mob), etc...

It's definitely your total strength/magic. Apparently the 360 version has been hacked, and people edited their stats to have like, 20k strength and 20k magic for each character.

As a result, even mission 64, the target time is something like 6 seconds. So yeah, it's definitely your overall strength/magic stat. Obviously your weapon has an effect on that.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I'm not sure, there's really no point (for the most part) to upgrade the weapons which don't scale well, so I end up using the weapons with the most Str/Mag on them. It could be that stat alone, or it might be a mix of item rank and/or current level, dunno :/

Just in my experience the huge dip in target time is not worth it when you don't need the extra stats from the weapons. Not to mention
the trophy for the last boss is near impossible if you stack your team

Role Levels basically increase the effect of the class every level you gain.

COMs buff their own damage and the party's (passive boost as long as they remain that class)
RAVs increase the chain boost for self/allies
SENs reduce damage taken by self/allies
MEDs increase the amount of healing done to self/allies
SYN increase buff duration on self/allies
SAB increases the chance for self/allies to land debuffs on the enemy

The effect on the "self" (the person who is actually that class) is always higher than the effect on the party members. So, a COM might have a 200% dmg modifier, and grant the other 2 members a 5% damage increase at the same time. SENs might reduce the damage the party takes by 10%, but the SEN himself will take 20% less damage, etc... These effects are cumulative, so that's why stacking 3x of a class is helpful (SEN/SEN/SEN to mitigate a huge, ultimate attack), (COM/COM/COM when chain is at 600%+ or so you can really nuke the crap outta the mob), etc...[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot.

And this kind of info is nowhere within the game?

I took these photos for a friend who was gonna start upgrading. It's not the extensive list that shows you the values for every component, but it has everything you need to start maxing.

I have a 95% complete spreadsheet of how much EXP each weapon and accessory takes to level from it's Min Level -> Max. The information isn't exactly public yet, and I'm not done with it so I'm hesitant about releasing it. I was originally going to write up a FAQ for GFAQs but I'm very burnt out from racing to Platinum.

Pics:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/MantraFate/DSC00292.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/MantraFate/DSC00293.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/MantraFate/DSC00294.jpg

If you have any specific questions about how much EXP is needed for a specific item, just ask and I'll get back to you. I basically wrote up a very simple Python script which has you enter inputs: base EXP, increment, max/min level, and the EXP already on the item. Enter those inputs and it'll crunch out the EXP needed to max any item of any level.

If you have the Python Shell installed, here's the code:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2myzdrznmmn

EDIT: The game does a terrible job explaining the Upgrade Systems (both Crystarium + Wep/Acc upgrading), which is why there are so many people crying about this game being hard and a lack of customization. Because they don't understand the mechanics behind it. Sure every component gives EXP, but they are all different in terms of effectiveness due to multiplier bonuses/subtractions.

Sorry photos were resized for some reason, I posted the direct links for them instead. Should be able to view them fullsize on the site.

It took me four tries/reloads to libra that stupid targeting beacon. The first time I didn't even notice I fought it till after the fight was over, the second time I thought I had it libra'd after two casts but after the fight realized it still wasn't fully libra'd, the third time it died before I could fully libra it. I finally got it on the fourth try. I know I could have gone back later to get it, but I am trying to minimize the amount of things I have to go back and do.

There are 2 targetting beacons to Libra. One is in the Vile Peaks, the other in Eden. The latter you can go back and get, the one in the Peaks you can miss, permanently.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']There are 2 targetting beacons to Libra. One is in the Vile Peaks, the other in Eden. The latter you can go back and get, the one in the Peaks you can miss, permanently.[/QUOTE]

Why do they need to be scanned? Just to complete the datalog?

i need an answer questioned for people that the 360 version of the game, i came here because the 360 forum doesn't even have a living thread for this game. And this is preferably need to be answered for people that have passed disc 2
i wanted to know if there is a save point right before disc 3 or not, my roommate is letting me borrow his copy and he gave me disc 1 and 2, but he took 3 with him home over spring break to finish up the sidequests, i basically don't want to go through a difficult boss battle and then for it to ask me to put in disc 3 without having a chance to save before, when i don't have it for another week
thank you to anyone who can let me know!!!

You can't save until you put the disc 3 in. You should stop before the final boss of disc 2.

It's really stupid that you can't save before hand like most multi-disc RPGs let you.

[quote name='Magus8472']Why do they need to be scanned? Just to complete the datalog?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. It's just so you have a complete in-game bestiary. I'm pretty anal about my "perfect" playthrough, and I'm sure others are too :p

The disc-changing thing is pretty idiotic. The PS3 version asks you to save pretty much after every major boss battle/chapter transition, and the process is really smooth. Cutscene, save, cutscene. Hell, I just made 99 saves that included all the "End of Chapter XX" saves, and I'd assume it's the same for 360 but it sounds like a crapshoot :/

[quote name='zewone']You can't save until you put the disc 3 in. You should stop before the final boss of disc 2.

It's really stupid that you can't save before hand like most multi-disc RPGs let you.[/QUOTE]

Yes but instead of saving right before it lets you save right after. I don't see the problem with this, it is basically just discoursing the act of trading discs (I can understand SE reasoning behind this.)

I managed to get a 5-star rank on Mission 54 a few minutes ago. If all the A-rank Missions depend on you doing some super cheap stuff to win them easily, then these last few missions are going to suck. I believe I have around 15-20 Missions to go, along with a few re-do's for 5-stars.

I still don't have any Traps yet, either. I don't know if I'll wait until I beat Mission 51 first or not to try and actually get some.

As far as the multi-disc issue goes, they would've had to change some coding along the way and since Square was so happy about 'everything being the same' that didn't happen.

[quote name='zewone']You can't save until you put the disc 3 in. You should stop before the final boss of disc 2.

It's really stupid that you can't save before hand like most multi-disc RPGs let you.[/QUOTE]

Just like in the old PSone days, they are trying to stop pirates like you by not letting you save at the end of a disc.

Got to the final boss last night second form he had a sliver of life left then casts death and kills my leader all while Fang basically kills him .. so pissed

Hey, I need help with a FAQ I'm putting together. I already maxed out Growth Egg's level and there is 0 point to do so, but I was bored. Anyways, I don't have a save that I can revert to to see how much Exp was required to level it from 1 -> 2 (Max).

Anyone who has it, can you go check what it is for me? The 0/XXXX, I need that number.

I'll put my spreadsheet out here first before GFAQs so you all can have a sneak peek at it :)

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Hey, I need help with a FAQ I'm putting together. I already maxed out Growth Egg's level and there is 0 point to do so, but I was bored. Anyways, I don't have a save that I can revert to to see how much Exp was required to level it from 1 -> 2 (Max).

Anyone who has it, can you go check what it is for me? The 0/XXXX, I need that number.

I'll put my spreadsheet out here first before GFAQs so you all can have a sneak peek at it :)[/QUOTE]

It's 7,000. By the way, did you get these for the elemental resistance rings?

2,860 (Seeing as the +30% ones can't be 'found' to my knowledge and start at level 4 or something when upgraded)

Oh and what's the Gold Watch number? I can't check and it'll be the only one missing from my list when I complete it today.

EDIT: Damn, I just realized I did my math wrong on a select few. Oh well, at least it's only about 5 or so to re-check.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']There are 2 targetting beacons to Libra. One is in the Vile Peaks, the other in Eden. The latter you can go back and get, the one in the Peaks you can miss, permanently.[/QUOTE]

It was the one in the peaks, so I am really glad I took the time to get it.

Gold Watch is 525.

I'm really pissed off at the game for only giving you 2 tier 1... Ice or Water (can't remember which) Resist rings. You can upgrade one to tier 2, then the same one to tier 3. But in the end you can't fucking have one of each tier in our inventory, which is bugging the shit outta the completist in me.

I'll have my spreadsheet done in an hour or two. The lists I've found so far have all been off by a few hundred/thousand, not a huge deal but they must be rounding or using a bad algorithm... idk.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Gold Watch is 525.

I'm really pissed off at the game for only giving you 2 tier 1... Ice or Water (can't remember which) Resist rings. You can upgrade one to tier 2, then the same one to tier 3. But in the end you can't fucking have one of each tier in our inventory, which is bugging the shit outta the completist in me.

I'll have my spreadsheet done in an hour or two. The lists I've found so far have all been off by a few hundred/thousand, not a huge deal but they must be rounding or using a bad algorithm... idk.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you want numbers that are closer and I have them all now:

http://draekon.com/ff13/

I used 0xp Lv1 -> Star on everything possible I think. The few that I couldn't, I just based off of whatever level it started at and worked up to star. Wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be since I remembered you could fight something near a save point and quit back to the title screen.

EDIT: It's the Frost Ring, which I only have two of. Rest I have 3 or more.

Well here's my spreadsheet. Some numbers are off by a very small amount, which I find very odd but lol yeah they're both pretty spot on.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0mwymt2mimm/Accessories.xlsx

I still need to verify some of the accessories you (can) get at lvl 1 through chests, but if you want multiple you'd need to start with a shop-bought lower tier version of it then transmute. I'm gonna assume that info. will be useful considering some people might have misses the chests.

You should do a pHp version of my Python calculator, I think it's a lot easier for people to just plug in their own numbers for any possible situation since they might have already added some EXP onto the item by accident, etc... A calculator would work for any item of any level, etc...

I'd do it but I don't have a site to host my shit lol.

Also, you can press start while in the field and quit that way, you don't have to actually go into a fight to quit :)

Son of a bitch. I forgot you can pause the game anywhere. I'm not use to having that in RPGs. ~_~

Anyways, the only major offender I see between our two lists is the Wurtzite Bangle. You have 459k exp whereas I have 495k exp. I think one of us made a typo. I'm too lazy to check, so yeah.

As for the calc, there's no way I'm going to write one up from scratch.

Silver Bangle, 1378 vs 1560 is odd too, but everything else seems to line up.

A calc takes like 10 mins to code, just a bunch of forms! "input=submit" blah! Lol.

Punching in all those numbers are a huge pain zzz.

[quote name='Draekon']Son of a bitch. I forgot you can pause the game anywhere. I'm not use to having that in RPGs. ~_~

Anyways, the only major offender I see between our two lists is the Wurtzite Bangle. You have 459k exp whereas I have 495k exp. I think one of us made a typo. I'm too lazy to check, so yeah.

As for the calc, there's no way I'm going to write one up from scratch.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Silver Bangle, 1378 vs 1560 is odd too, but everything else seems to line up.

A calc takes like 10 mins to code, just a bunch of forms! "input=submit" blah! Lol.

Punching in all those numbers are a huge pain zzz.[/QUOTE]

you two are hardcore.
we appreciate your help.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Just like in the old PSone days, they are trying to stop pirates like you by not letting you save at the end of a disc.[/QUOTE]

How is that supposed to stop anyone? Also, my pirate days have been over.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']You should do a pHp version of my Python calculator, I think it's a lot easier for people to just plug in their own numbers for any possible situation since they might have already added some EXP onto the item by accident, etc... A calculator would work for any item of any level, etc...[/QUOTE]

I thought about it, but figured a spreadsheet would be easier for now. Here's a weapon upgrade sheet I've started. I've filled out Lightning's information, but feel free to update the other weapon sections, I may try to fill out what's left later this week.

I pulled most of my information from here, and here and of course used Draekon's lovely site for everything else. The base exp needs to be the base exp at level one, so there's a little calculator to figure that out if you don't know what it is. Once everything is in place, the only things people would need to change to figure out how much exp is left would be the current level and current exp, the formulas are already in place.

Can't really see anything in GoogleDocs, did you make it so the cells have formulas in them?

Also, farming credits is retarded. Ingots and Perfumes are both better ways to farm Gil.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Also, farming credits is retarded. Ingots and Perfumes are both better ways to farm Gil.[/QUOTE]
Ah word, sounds like they were just idiots then.

Does Stagger Lock actually do anything? Am using the Taming Pole for Fang because of the high strength value, but I still stagger enemies?

bread's done
Back