Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='theredworm']some reason I have the itch to go back and finish all the achievements in this game[/QUOTE]

If you want the platinum, be ready to put up 40+ more hours.

Fastest anyone has gotten Platinum is in the 7X hours, pretty sure. Unless you're skipping every single cutscene, and even then 40 hours is unrealistic.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Fastest anyone has gotten Platinum is in the 7X hours, pretty sure. Unless you're skipping every single cutscene, and even then 40 hours is unrealistic.[/QUOTE]

The poster said 40+ more hours, which I took to mean 40+ hours after endgame.

Is there an alternative way to farm cash aside from turtles? I don't even care if it's less effective, I'm just sick of turtles.

I loaded my save up and forgot which weapons I needed to upgrade to complete the platinum -- probably not even worth it, though I'm bored.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='panzerfaust']Is there alternative way to farm cash aside from turtles? I don't even care if it's less effective, I'm just sick of turtles.

I loaded my save up and forgot which weapons I needed to upgrade complete the platinum -- probably not even worth it, though I'm bored.[/QUOTE]

Might be some spoilers for people that have not finished the game yet...

Right before you get to the place with the moving platforms and such near the end of the game. You face a bunch of those crystal guys that can cast death. They sometimes drop something which is only worth $5k I think.

not sure if that is one the fastest ways to get money though.

IIRC there were some enemies in the city that dropped items that sold for 12.5k each, and had a pretty high drop rate. But... turtles dude. Turtles all the way!

Makes no difference to grind early, level limits and lack of items for weapon upgrades make it pointless.

Thats what hurt the game aspect, limiting our characters.

[quote name='Lubacca']I could never bring myself to finish this game. I don't think I ever got past like 24 hours of game play[/QUOTE]

That's a pity because the best part starts around the 25th hour (ch. 11)

[quote name='0_0']That's a pity because the best part starts around the 25th hour (ch. 11)[/QUOTE]

You can't blame people for wanting to quit before the good part of the game starts.RPG's in general do take a couple of hours to start up,but this game just goes overboard with that.It would've helped if the story wasn't horrible,which would've kept people playing longer.

Can't really say any of the modern FF's have good stories... If you're playing FF (or even make that anything S-E internally develops) for a story which makes sense, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

I like FF narratives, there are all pretty sensible aside from VII and VIII IMO. They aren't terribly deep, but that's not really why they're popular.

What in particular is blowing your mind in XIII's story? It's all fairly straightforward save for the argument people have about the crystallizations at the end.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I like FF narratives, there are all pretty sensible aside from VII and VIII IMO. They aren't terribly deep, but that's not really why they're popular.

What in particular is blowing your mind in XIII's story? It's all fairly straightforward save for the argument people have about the crystallizations at the end.[/QUOTE]

The plot for most of the old ones really just boiled to a bunch of people gathering a bunch of magic rocks.Now they had really good characters and were usually done well.

Now the first hour of XIII's story was just a big WTF.There throwing around a bunch of made up terms without explaining them and you have no clue what's going on at all.After that hour its pretty simple to follow.Also the game has probability has one of the most forgettable villains in the series.I wasn't expecting a Kefka,but damn was Barthandelus bad.

The villain wasn't made to be memorable. A Kefka simply wouldn't work given the messages the narrative was trying to convey. Much of the conflict in XIII is with the characters themselves (notice how half the game's boss fights were against your own eidolons?). I can understand your disappointment in that the style of the story was fashioned this way -- but I can't agree with calling the plot poor simply for something it wasn't trying to be.

And yes, it does thrust you into things without giving much information. Characters don't know what the hell is going on either though, so it kind of makes sense. Ultimately, the player isn't supposed to know what's going on other than there's a bunch of pissed off characters out doing their own thing. The terms themselves are explained, even if you never look in the very detailed dialects. And like most stories designed to be confusing, everything does wrap up at the end to produce the "ohhhhh i get it" effect.

The plot still had some problems though, a couple characters didn't hit their marks as well as the others (Snow and Hope I felt were the weakest), and it would of been nice to have more background info on them. I think I read Square decided to cut that content out though, as the game length would have been too much.

I feel like it's one of the stronger FF stories though. It was emotional and creative like X, but also had the character split ups and developments going on like in VI.

The problem with Barthandelus is that his behavior doesn't make sense.
He's been manipulating the party the whole time, he needs them to accomplish the thing that he can't, etc. So why does directly and indirectly try to kill them so many times? If they die his plan fails.

X and XIII were the only emotional FF's for me. I straight up cried during FFX, and the end of XIII got be teary-eyed but... the story in XIII is still nonsensical. The emotional part of it comes from the attachment to the characters, not necessarily the events that take place, or the overarching plot. For me VI's story stands alone in doing a narrative correctly, but even that has its faults.

My issues with XIII were that yeah, lack of information added upon no damn good reason for the group to be traveling together. They meet up so randomly, and just like that end up spending the entire game together. It happens in every FF, but I feel like in XIII their intentions were so muddy and obscure (to the point they were oblivious themselves) is a terrible reason for them to join up when compared to the other entries. They don't share anything in common (they do in being I'Cie, but not to the extent of) like with Avalanche, SEED, Yuna's guardians.

In terms of characters, I don't really think anyone connected with Snow or Vanille. They're so one-sided and really hard to relate to. It's just so odd to see such a "linear" (I have no issue with the linearity) game to be so all over the place with its narrative. Literally half the time I couldn't figure out where the hell I was, or where I was going (the goal), partially because the party was split up so much in the beginning and swapping back and forth.

The story was simple and pretty easy to follow. I don't think it's something that flew over my head or anything, I actually really liked Cocoon/Pulse. The blowing your mind comment confused me... not really sure what you were referring to, but the ending was essentially throw-away. Nice set up for a sequel I guess, but it came out of nowhere and was basically their way of saying, "oh we need to wrap things up."

It's still my favorite jRPG of the generation, but standing up for its story isn't something I'd put much effort into.

The game goes over the fact that each fal'cie is limited in power, and must use humans (who may have infinite power) to achieve greater goals. It would seem all Barthandelus was able to do is deceive others (whether it be shape-shifting or conversation) and that's exactly how he gets you to the Cradle at the end of it all.

The encounters with him are meant to provoke you, nothing else. You beat him and nothing happens -- you don't even get CP for Barthandelus fights. I noticed this during my first playthrough, but the CE guide actually explains it in the extra story section -- or at least explains the possibility that you are merely fighting an illusion..

My issues with XIII were that yeah, lack of information added upon no damn good reason for the group to be traveling together. They meet up so randomly, and just like that end up spending the entire game together. It happens in every FF, but I feel like in XIII their intentions were so muddy and obscure (to the point they were oblivious themselves) is a terrible reason for them to join up when compared to the other entries. They don't share anything in common (they do in being I'Cie, but not to the extent of) like with Avalanche, SEED, Yuna's guardians.

Well wait, don't they have every reason to stick together as they all received the same Focus? And the first half of the game is them fighting each other and being split up all the time. Seemed pretty natural to me given the situation. Most unnatural would be Hope being hell bent on committing a homicide.

I agree it's a random assortment of personalities, but that's usually how these games work.

They're essentially all puppets though, didn't really have much choice in the matter. The whole story was them being manipulated. The only thing they could've done was say eff it and not continue.

I wouldn't really say they were "fighting" each other, maybe arguing is enough to convince some that the characters actually had to decide what path they were on, but I found the motives to be lacking. And with Vanille the whole time being "can't we all just get along?"

Had a, "let's just go along with it and see what happens" sorta vibe the entire time.

The amount of reading I did in FFXIII is up there. I read every one of those chapter sections because for the longest time I was confused. Once I learned there were fal'Cie's and l'Cie's then the story was less confusing. In the end, the battle system kept me going once I was able to truly customize my characters.

Not the most flattering of screenshots. It looks like a village on Pulse and relatively early in the game, perhaps time travel?

Which would also explain the resemblance the guy has with Fang.

I have a feeling it'll be more open given the new setting, which hopefully Square remembers how to do. And just like that, you've pleased most of the fans of the traditional games. Even though world exploration has always been fairly primitive in the older FF game IMO (except XII).

But either way, I expect backlash on most forums. It'll sell like mad though, the characters, at least aesthetically, seem to be very popular.

Imagine when people see the Vanille redesign.

---

And it's already in english? Could the early 2012 release be true? And before Versus!?

[quote name='panzerfaust']I have a feeling it'll be more open given the new setting, which hopefully Square remembers how to do. And just like that, you've pleased most of the fans of the traditional games. Even though world exploration has always been fairly primitive in the older FF game IMO (except XII).

But either way, I expect backlash on most forums. It'll sell like mad though, the characters, at least aesthetically, seem to be very popular.

Imagine when people see the Vanille redesign.

---

And it's already in english? Could the early 2012 release be true? And before Versus!?[/QUOTE]

It's not a surprise that its coming out before Versus since the game looks essentially the same graphics wise and gameplay wise.Also of course its going to sell like mad since most people are going to buy it like sheep's just because the FF tag is on it.

Noel's costume looks a lot like a male version of Fang's clothing, so I'm hoping that this means that there are more human survivors on Gran Pulse. Of course, he could just be some kind of de-crystalized l'Cie who fulfilled his Focus or some other contrivance, but more Pulse characters gives me hope for some kind of expansive overworld.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I wonder what the backlash would be like if nothing's changed except a continuation of the story >.>[/QUOTE]
And you play through the same linear levels, only backwards.

Oh I just pleasantly surprised myself. Full trailer of XIII-2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFDarr60D1c

- Some quicktime finishers for boss fights, apparently
- Snow's crew seems to be much more involved in this game, but where's Snow?
- Soundtrack sounds great, very Masahi Hamauzu like (he did some stuff in FFX, you'll probably hear the similarities)
- Lightning is playable, eventually :bouncy:
- No Vanille in a g-string, perhaps her and Fang aren't coming back =[
- Combat looks very similar, some new mechanics of engagement though
- Some odd platform segments [MINI GAMES!]

I think the whole crew from the first game is gone due to the Eidolons, but that's just me talking out of my ass. Maybe a plague/disease sorta thing.

"Chaos Bahamut" is interesting.

I've played the first 30 minutes, I find the dialogue cringe worthy and the voice acting not so great. I liked the emotional part when the mother died. The game play is okay so far. Does the story and game play get much better later on? I ask because so far I'm not enjoying it that much.

The one part you enjoyed is the one part that's universally considered as hilariously corny, lol.

I'd drop it now if you aren't enjoying it. The story is quite good and the battles do get more intense as what naturally occurs in FFs, but if you play for another hour and nothing is hooking you then I'd save yourself the time. Most people who keep going after initially disliking it find a few spots of enjoyment but overall regret playing.

Why is it universally considered corny? It was the only part where I could feel anything for the characters. The rest was I am Hero, We are Heroes!

"Moms are tough!"

But seriously, the game is full of pretty emotional moments that are quite good, so maybe you'll get into it. Dialogue is corny but you know, whatever.

Snow's hero talk is hilarious, just take it in stride.

[quote name='Cerebral_One']I've played the first 30 minutes, I find the dialogue cringe worthy and the voice acting not so great. I liked the emotional part when the mother died. The game play is okay so far. Does the story and game play get much better later on? I ask because so far I'm not enjoying it that much.[/QUOTE]

Gameplay gets much better. First couple hours are a waste of time, you could honestly walk past most of the enemies and it wouldn't make a difference.

Story.... eh, it stays about the same. At some point it stops doing the flashbacks, which were annoying.

Anyone pick this up for $15 during Black Friday or $10 during the recent GameStop sale? I'm a little late to the party. Ended up getting this at launch for the Xbox 360, played for a few hours and never got around to finishing it.

I traded in my Xbox 360 copy to Amazon and ended up getting the PS3 version since I just picked up a PS3 a few weeks back. I'm not sure why this game gets so much crap. It feels like Final Fantasy X (my favorite FF game of all time) and I know a lot of others enjoyed FFX as well. Granted there are no towns (I'm 6 hours in) and it is one giant corridor, but towns and dungeons in previous FF games just "masked" what was actually a linear game. You couldn't progress the story unless you went to the next town or dungeon that the game dictated to you.

I'm guessing the corridors were a design choice since they couldn't render entire towns with all that detail like Skyrim, it would be a waste of time for a linear game.

Towns were relegated to the Internet in FFXIII. And yeah, they should've said the game was similar to X in terms of design, but no, they didn't.

After almost 3 years of on and off playing, 53 (official) gaming hours, countless deaths, several breaks from the game, and 1 completely confusing story, I finally finished Final Fantasy XIII. All I can say is thank God.

[quote name='Josh5890']After almost 3 years of on and off playing, 53 (official) gaming hours, countless deaths, several breaks from the game, and 1 completely confusing story, I finally finished Final Fantasy XIII. All I can say is thank God.[/QUOTE]

And in contrast, I played it, beat it, and got a platinum in it (loved the openness of the end-game/post-game part) all in the first month it was out ;).

[quote name='io']And in contrast, I played it, beat it, and got a platinum in it (loved the openness of the end-game/post-game part) all in the first month it was out ;).[/QUOTE]
1000/1000 in May of 2010, beat the story on PS3 and planning to get the Platinum someday. :)

I think my first play through would have been a lot more fun if I properly utilized the Saboteur and Synergist roles. It wasn't until the last few bosses that I realized how badass you can make your team with just a few properly placed buffs and debuffs.

The final boss took me under 4 minutes to take down. By the end, all you saw was a sea of red debuffs on the boss and a sea of green buffs on my party. Makes me wonder if I could've bypassed all that needless power leveling that I did in the game.

bread's done
Back