Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

Oh gotcha, yea I've only fought the adamantoise, the bigger ones are still too tough, also only on tier 2 weapons still, thanks for the info!

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I not gonna back this statement up since it's a waste of time, but Action RPG (real-time, moreso if FP) and turn-based RPGs are not the same genre, at all.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't comparing the two games anyways, just the level of challenge each provides. I think we both pretty much agree that DS takes skill and that's all I was saying.

Completely disagree on the DS controlling like ass, it took some getting used to like any game but in the end it did what you want.

Any suggestions on what to equip when trying to 5-star missions? I obviously have to take off the ultimate weapons but should I stick with tier 2 weapons?

I've finally hit Chapter 11, so I know about the missions and whatnot - the game definitely opens up at that point as you can do a lot of exploring before taking on what I assume is the next story point.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Vanille + Fang are really the best two to use for turtles since they both have the more powerful SYN spells, and both are amazing as a SAB if you use their corresponding weapons. Less time you waste trying to debuff the thing, more time you can beat on it!

Plus, if they're both SYN Vanille will buff the defensive buffs while you put Haste/Offensive ones on your party.[/QUOTE]

They have more powerful SYN spells but since those aren't their specialties doesn't it take a TON of CP to get those spells? I haven't even looked at secondary roles yet - just working on maxing out the ones I have. But I was wondering if I should - that would take even more grinding than I've needed already (see below).

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']Kudos to you!!

On a different note, the difficulty level definitely seems to increase in Chapter 11. I guess your meant to skip over a lot of the battles and return to them later on, but sheesh I got my ass handed to me by some of these monsters.[/QUOTE]

Yep, definitely agree. There are only certain things I can take on on the Steppe now, and that's even after grinding a bit and finally getting around to some weapon upgrading.

[quote name='jalu6']I'm about halfway through Chapter 10, I beat a boss and my CP costs expanded to 4k per gem from about 1k. I know a lot of things open up in Chapter 11, but I want to have an idea of what I'm getting into.

I'm really just a "content tourist" - I'm playing the game for the story and the graphics and because I enjoy the battle system, but after I spend 45 hours on it and see the end credits I'll probably move onto something else.

I was just wondering - how much of all this extra stuff is necessary to complete the game? How deep should I be getting into the upgrade system? (I haven't touched it yet). If I kill everything the game puts in front of me, will there be a lot of grinding when the game ramps up?

I'm really enjoying the game so far, I actually like the linearity and how the game keeps pushing the story forward. But when the game opens up I don't want to be stuck killing the same mobs for 5 hours when I can keep moving instead.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have to say that I feel I need to grind quite a bit in Chapter 11. I have a ton more character upgrading available and it takes a lot to get to the next crystal now so it seemed to me, anyway, that it was time to grind. Fortunately, there are the missions to find and carry out so you something to do besides beat on the same enemies over and over. I've gotten through the first 10 missions with little trouble. I did finally start upgrading some weapons though. Right now I am very short on cash and CP, though, so more grinding is necessary. I actually tried to push the story forward but can't get past the mini-boss at the start of what I guess is this tower thing. There are two hoplites (no problem by themselves) and some wider thing that buffs them up to super-powerful. I couldn't get past that so I went to grind on other stuff in Chapter 11. I would recommend at least going back to the "camp" area and exploring there after doing a few of the missions on the Steppe.

But, really, you were hoping to be completely done in 45 hours? I have to say I'm there now and I haven't even gotten into the story part of Chapter 11. I have only spent about 5-6 hours exploring, too, so even if I went right through it, it would take way more than 45. Of course, a few hours were spent in pause too....

To the person who said grinding wasn't necessary and that the primary roles can be filled out through normal progression I say that is true up till Chapter 11. It was actually fairly remarkable (though not, really, I guess given the linearity) how I seemed to get close to maxing out each character and then all of a sudden would get an expansion. It was very well paced upgrade-wise. In Chapter 11, unless the slog through this tower gives a TON of CP, I don't see that happening. And I think that is due ot the world opening up. You are expected to look around a bit and do some missions first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']They have more powerful SYN spells but since those aren't their specialties doesn't it take a TON of CP to get those spells? I haven't even looked at secondary roles yet - just working on maxing out the ones I have.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they're not really needed or worth it until post-game though. I would suggest, as would most others I assume, to just ignore every characters three sub-job roles until you've maxed out every main job roles to role level 5.

You don't need to grind though... every mob has a specific strategy you should be using. The thing with the hoplites you're having trouble with in the tower can be done by debuffing/slowing the chain gauge with a SAB/COM and then switching to triple RAV to stagger the fatty really quickly. Once staggered, you need to launch him so he doesn't summon more hoplites.

The hoplites (two) will beat the shit out of you if the fight is too long, and if he summons 4 no one can withstand that even if you've maxed CP and using a SEN. Just play super offensively and go for the stagger. When you get to the point of launching the fatty, you won't really be in danger of dying since when launching you're in the air, and you party members will be taking the damage.

Yeah, I got close a few times (doing pretty much what you said: SAB/MED/SAB at first, then COM/RAV/RAV to attack) but the ones on the ground killed off the other two chars while I was beating on the main one and at that point I was screwed since I just had Fang left with a little bit of health. I didn't want to waste Phoenix Down. I'm sure I could do it in a few more tries. It just seemed like I needed to level up and I wanted to go exploring and check out these missions anyway so I took the difficulty of that fight as a sign I should just go ahead and do so. My couple of hours of exploring has resulted in a couple of upgraded weapons (only 10 levels or so) and several more 100 HP+ nodes for each character. I will probably go back there tonight and maybe it will be a lot easier now. I kind of don't want to leave the open area though and get back into linear stuff. Yeah, I know I can go back later but it was kind of fun running around and encountering monsters that are WAY too powerful to take on. That does remind me of older games where you can get clobbered if you go the wrong way before you are ready ;).

One thing that threw me off in terms of grinding though was that I finally consulted some FAQs after running into that fight and exploring a bit. One of them suggested a party of Fang/Light/Vanille for the tower (which is what I have been using) but he had all sorts of high-level equipment on them - stuff I'm nowhere near obtaining like Tier 2 weapons and a bunch of accessories I've never seen or cost too much for me to buy. So that's another reason I thought I better grind a bit. I'm going to go in without all the upgrades though as that seems like it will be easier to obtain later. I did buy a couple of speed sashes though for the chance of insta-chaining. But after fighting with that on for a few hours it doesn't seem like it ever happens. I have it on Lightning who is my RAV character most of the time - does it work that way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Insta-chain is the most unreliable thing ever, basically a waste if you ask me. I don't remember when you get Lionheart, but if you have it use it to have a better time staggering (at 80% full), that might save you. That, or use Boost weapons/acc. so you get ATB+ XX% Synth abilities, that might help you push it out.

One of the most important things I've found during my playthrough is how fucking amazing Renew is. If you time your Renews well, you don't need a medic, and your other party members can keep beating on the mob too. FAQs that tell you to upgrade your weapons are overkill. Upgraded weapons definitely make the main game very easy.

If you do upgrade during the main game, you should just use Fang's Taming Pole, Hope's Hawkeye, etc... Anything with very high maxed STR/MAG. You'll absolutely blow through any of the normal encounters you'll face, but I find it kind of pointless.

Aurora Scarves are what you want, if you did do some Missions you might have some Tetradic Crowns/Tiaras that you can max/dismantle into Scarves. Those, and Sprint Shoes will allow you to zerg through a lot of stuff that gives you trouble if you take too long.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Insta-chain is the most unreliable thing ever, basically a waste if you ask me. I don't remember when you get Lionheart, but if you have it use it to have a better time staggering (at 80% full), that might save you. That, or use Boost weapons/acc. so you get ATB+ XX% Synth abilities, that might help you push it out.[/QUOTE]

Chapter 12. So yeah, he won't have that yet.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']You don't need to grind though... every mob has a specific strategy you should be using.[/QUOTE]

You know, I encountered a required mob in the tower of chapter 11 that could one-hit anybody with a single attack. Mightof survived with a Sentinel if all I did was defend on them, but that wouldof made it a stupidly long fight (I think I tried this, but failed a couple times). I skipped an assload of fights up to that point starting from some previous chapter, probably 6. Which is by no means an overstatement.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']
One of the most important things I've found during my playthrough is how fucking amazing Renew is. If you time your Renews well, you don't need a medic, and your other party members can keep beating on the mob too. FAQs that tell you to upgrade your weapons are overkill. Upgraded weapons definitely make the main game very easy.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is Renew? I think I saw that in the upgrade path but I'm not sure if I ever chose it. Is it something that heals but a non-medic can use it?

I had chosen the following weapons to upgrade: Pandora Spear for Fang, Axis Blade for Lightning, and Belladonna Wand for Vanille. I only have them upgraded to Tier 1, level 10-14 so far. Are those good choices or should I hold off till I get Lionheart?

Also, one more random question. All those credit and incentive chips I picked up earlier (like 30 of each) - are they just for selling? I've been hesitant to sell anything because I thought I might need it for upgrading but it seems there's nothing particularly special about any one upgrade component (save the transformational ones). Since those ones add almost no exp to items I guess I can just sell them all? If so, that would allow me to do more upgrading since I just did mission 10 and got the shop with the reactor thing in it (that costs 50,000 or so but provides a ton of upgrade exp).

Pandoran Spear is a bad choice. I don't know if you've gotten Taming Pole yet, but that would be what you want to use, or eventually. Belladonna is the best choice, swap out Axis for Lionheart when you get it.

Renew is a technique which costs 1 TP to use, it basically heals your whole party for 60-75% of their max HP, and also revives any fallen party members. Because a Curaja + AoE Phoenix Down of sorts.

Chips are just for selling. They don't do shit for upgrading, so go ahead. In fact, anything that says "Can be sold for a premium" should be, they are worth way more as Gil than their EXP value.

The only difference between upgrade components is whether it is organic or mechanical, and that only affects the bonus multiplier.

Also, by no grinding needed I mean you are NOT skipping every mob in between bosses -.-
If you just clear whatever is in your way once (ideally you want a fully Libra-ed mob anyways, right?) you will be strong enough to take on anything (Chapter 11-13 too). There is no need to backtrack/respawn mobs.

No general tips except for maintenance/boost/lionheart tier 1 weapons, and use scarfs + boots, I have no real trouble with 5starring anything but Gigantuar.

If you need help with a specific mission, ask, but otherwise... what's giving you trouble?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Pandoran Spear is a bad choice. I don't know if you've gotten Taming Pole yet, but that would be what you want to use, or eventually. Belladonna is the best choice, swap out Axis for Lionheart when you get it.

Renew is a technique which costs 1 TP to use, it basically heals your whole party for 60-75% of their max HP, and also revives any fallen party members. Because a Curaja + AoE Phoenix Down of sorts.

Chips are just for selling. They don't do shit for upgrading, so go ahead. In fact, anything that says "Can be sold for a premium" should be, they are worth way more as Gil than their EXP value.

The only difference between upgrade components is whether it is organic or mechanical, and that only affects the bonus multiplier.

Also, by no grinding needed I mean you are NOT skipping every mob in between bosses -.-
If you just clear whatever is in your way once (ideally you want a fully Libra-ed mob anyways, right?) you will be strong enough to take on anything (Chapter 11-13 too). There is no need to backtrack/respawn mobs.[/QUOTE]

I had not skipped anything - went for every side branch and treasure (as far as I know) and did hit some respawns on occasion to so I should have been ahead of the game. Like I said, up to chapter 11 the roles were always neatly filled out near the end of the chapter just in time to be expanded again. I dunno, maybe that will happen on my way up the tower - we'll see. Though I probably ground out another 100,000 so far and am nowhere near filling them out.

As for libra-ing everything - hey, I'm obsessive, but not that obsessive. I used libra all the time early on because I thought the 100 enemy info trophy might be hard to get. It turned out I got it before I even started chapter 11, so that one is easy as pie (and as a gold trophy I found that somewhat surprising). I'm only using libra now on bosses and particularly tough enemies (like mission marks and that fatty guy at the beginning of the tower). I feel no need to complete the datalog for every enemy. Getting a platinum and all the work that will take will be more than enough for me. I'd rather save my TP for summons (though I've only ever done it like once) and now for Renew which now that you mention it I have seen there when selecting Libra.

That (being a completist) does remind me though (and with all the Demon's Souls talk), I am like 2-3 hours short of getting a platinum on DS and I just completely stopped playing. I better get back to that before I forget how to play - I was a well oiled machine in that game at one point ;).

Thanks for the tips on the weapons. The FAQs are very vague on that and only quote stats without really commenting on them (other than one exception which I followed and mentioned earlier). I figured that meant they were all the same in the end so I just picked what looked good (plus following the one suggestion I did find). But since I have to upgrade all of them to Tier 2 for the treasure trophy anyway I guess I didn't waste anything in upgrading Pandora/Axis Blade. I'll see if I have the Taming Pole (maybe it is purchasable?). I think the reason I went with the Pandora is that one of the FAQs did mention the Tier 2 version of that as their weapon of choice for going through the tower. Why is it bad vs Taming Pole?

[quote name='io']Thanks for the tips on the weapons. The FAQs are very vague on that and only quote stats without really commenting on them (other than one exception which I followed and mentioned earlier). I figured that meant they were all the same in the end so I just picked what looked good (plus following the one suggestion I did find). But since I have to upgrade all of them to Tier 2 for the treasure trophy anyway I guess I didn't waste anything in upgrading Pandora/Axis Blade. I'll see if I have the Taming Pole (maybe it is purchasable?). I think the reason I went with the Pandora is that one of the FAQs did mention the Tier 2 version of that as their weapon of choice for going through the tower. Why is it bad vs Taming Pole?[/QUOTE]

Pandora isn't really worth it since Taming Pole does significantly more damage with both Strength and Magic while only giving bonuses towards landing a debuff (If I remember correctly). While Taming Pole does have Stagger Lock, it's insignificant so long as everybody else doesn't have it on their weapons too. All that does is basically prevent that character from pushing an enemy into Stagger. It's a waste of components/money upgrading something that's likely not to be used post-game if you're going to be doing the extra stuff.

http://draekon.com/ff13/?sect=weapons

When both maxed into Kain's Lance, Taming Pole has 305 more STR than Pandoran.

Difference in Axis and Lionheart is about 185 STR/MAG, and you're probably not going to be using a ton of Boost accessories, so you won't have the ATB+30% Synth ability. Quick Stagger is just an amazing ability, and Light's the only one who can use it. Arguably the only reason to use her over another "mage"

You'll find Taming Pole near the end of C11. Bosses start giving you fucking 100,000 CP each, which is retarded but I think it's sort of to discourage you from grinding. As long as you can kill the bosses, you're golden. Although, C11's boss is quite possibly the hardest boss in the game :/

GL!

I actually found part 1 of the final boss fight to be much harder, especially because of the attack that can bring you close to death.

[quote name='Draekon']Pandora isn't really worth it since Taming Pole does significantly more damage with both Strength and Magic while only giving bonuses towards landing a debuff (If I remember correctly). While Taming Pole does have Stagger Lock, it's insignificant so long as everybody else doesn't have it on their weapons too. All that does is basically prevent that character from pushing an enemy into Stagger. It's a waste of components/money upgrading something that's likely not to be used post-game if you're going to be doing the extra stuff.[/QUOTE]

OK, but correct me if I'm wrong but don't you need to upgrade every weapon to Tier 2 to get the treasure hunter trophy anyway? So it really isn't a waste to upgrade anything at least that far (giving it levels in Tier 2 may be a waste though if you aren't taking that one to Ultimate). I also don't have a Taming Pole now and can't buy one either.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']When both maxed into Kain's Lance, Taming Pole has 305 more STR than Pandoran.

Difference in Axis and Lionheart is about 185 STR/MAG, and you're probably not going to be using a ton of Boost accessories, so you won't have the ATB+30% Synth ability. Quick Stagger is just an amazing ability, and Light's the only one who can use it. Arguably the only reason to use her over another "mage"

You'll find Taming Pole near the end of C11. Bosses start giving you fucking 100,000 CP each, which is retarded but I think it's sort of to discourage you from grinding. As long as you can kill the bosses, you're golden. Although, C11's boss is quite possibly the hardest boss in the game :/

GL![/QUOTE]

OK, thanks. By the way, I played a bit just now and had no trouble with the hoplites + phatty robot. I even beat him 3 times because I backed up to do that side path that I skipped earlier (because Lightning said "Are you sure this is the right way?"). I thought it would be an endless passage to some other part of Pulse that I'd want to go to later. It turned out to be a fairly short path to a mini-boss guarding a treasure (and a dormant c'ieth store). Now that bastard was much harder than the hoplite/phalanx thing or whatever it was called. So now I'm set up tonight to continue on through the passageways (already ran into another combo with 3 hoplites + a phalanx and dispatched them).

I think one very subtle change in paradigm suggested by you made a bit of a difference on the hoplite/phalanx fight (as well as my grinding). Instead of starting off with "Safe Sabateur" (SAB/MED/SAB) I put in "Exploitation" I believe it is called (SAB/COM/SAB) and started off with that. I think I staggered him much faster that way, though it really wasn't that important because I almost had him dead anyway by the time he was staggered (I had switched to COM/RAV/RAV as soon as the debuffs went on).

Edit: Just looked it up, the fat robot is a "Boxed Phalanx". The one I fought on the side path was "Juggernaut" which had way more HP than anything else I had fought to that point.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Insta-chain is the most unreliable thing ever, basically a waste if you ask me. I don't remember when you get Lionheart, but if you have it use it to have a better time staggering (at 80% full), that might save you. That, or use Boost weapons/acc. so you get ATB+ XX% Synth abilities, that might help you push it out.

One of the most important things I've found during my playthrough is how fucking amazing Renew is. If you time your Renews well, you don't need a medic, and your other party members can keep beating on the mob too. FAQs that tell you to upgrade your weapons are overkill. Upgraded weapons definitely make the main game very easy.

If you do upgrade during the main game, you should just use Fang's Taming Pole, Hope's Hawkeye, etc... Anything with very high maxed STR/MAG. You'll absolutely blow through any of the normal encounters you'll face, but I find it kind of pointless.

Aurora Scarves are what you want, if you did do some Missions you might have some Tetradic Crowns/Tiaras that you can max/dismantle into Scarves. Those, and Sprint Shoes will allow you to zerg through a lot of stuff that gives you trouble if you take too long.[/QUOTE]

I also started using renew a bit...it's a hidden gem. A nice alternative to a medic.

I also upgrade my Tetradic Crowns and Tiaras to max/dismantle and received; T Crowns - Green Needle, Guardian Amulet, Auric Amulet, Watchman's Amulet, and Hermes Sandles; T Tiaras - Perfume, Shield Talisman, Soulfont Talisman, Shrouding Talisman, and Sprint Shoes. So I'm still curious about getting the Aurora Scarf.

[quote name='io']Edit: Just looked it up, the fat robot is a "Boxed Phalanx". The one I fought on the side path was "Juggernaut" which had way more HP than anything else I had fought to that point.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to handle a Juggernaut if you make sure to get Barfire up ASAP and repeatedly debuff it with Imperil/Deshell/Deprotect (so it spends most of its time using Steam Clean). I think you can launch them, too.

[quote name='combatrhombus']I also upgrade my Tetradic Crowns and Tiaras to max/dismantle and received; T Crowns - Green Needle, Guardian Amulet, Auric Amulet, Watchman's Amulet, and Hermes Sandles; T Tiaras - Perfume, Shield Talisman, Soulfont Talisman, Shrouding Talisman, and Sprint Shoes. So I'm still curious about getting the Aurora Scarf.[/QUOTE]

Buy a Whistlewind Scarf from Moogleworks (it's 1k) and upgrade it. It only goes up to level 2 and upgrades with a Rhodochrosite (8k at Motherlode), so it's pretty cheap.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Insta-chain is the most unreliable thing ever, basically a waste if you ask me. I don't remember when you get Lionheart, but if you have it use it to have a better time staggering (at 80% full), that might save you. That, or use Boost weapons/acc. so you get ATB+ XX% Synth abilities, that might help you push it out.[/QUOTE]

You get Lionheart a little ways in to chapter 12. I just equipped it and quick stagger is very nice, it doesn't work as much as I prefer, but still good to know it can stagger at any moment. I was fucking bumming that I upgraded my Gladius -> Helter-skelter level 24 then could only upgrade the Lionheart to level 4.

Thanks Magus I have a Whistlewind Scarf I'll have to try it tomorrow.

[quote name='Magus8472']You should be able to handle a Juggernaut if you make sure to get Barfire up ASAP and repeatedly debuff it with Imperil/Deshell/Deprotect (so it spends most of its time using Steam Clean). I think you can launch them, too.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I should have said that I beat him. I didn't use barfire, but I did the debuff thing, and then pounded him while he steam cleaned. I still needed a bunch of healing in between too and it took a few tries.

[quote name='combatrhombus']You get Lionheart a little ways in to chapter 12. I just equipped it and quick stagger is very nice, it doesn't work as much as I prefer, but still good to know it can stagger at any moment. I was fucking bumming that I upgraded my Gladius -> Helter-skelter level 24 then could only upgrade the Lionheart to level 4.

Thanks Magus I have a Whistlewind Scarf I'll have to try it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Quick Stagger makes it so that the enemy will be stagger upon next hit and the gauge is 80% full, it's not the same as random: instant stagger. The latter sucks, quick stagger doesn't :)

Fought my way to the top of the tower - so far nothing in there was as hard as that original hoplite/boxed phalanx fight at the beginning (before I grinded and adjusted strategy). I even 5-starred all the mandatory missions in there (made sure to do so because it seemed like it will be a pain to go back there later and wanted to be done with it). I only had to redo one of those after getting 3 stars.

I stopped just short of what I assume is the boss fight at the top. It was like 5 am and I didn't want to start something difficult then - had to sleep and stuff ;).

As for this "Taming Pole" business - when do you get that? I see in a FAQ it is from a store called "Gilgamesh". I don't have that yet (and I did get the extra store from beating mission 10 already).

I just went online and found the best weapons for each class. What should I do with these other crap weapons that I've already upgraded? I upgraded the Gladius to a lvl 24 Helter-Skelter....no clue what to do with it once I've upgraded a Lionheart to the point that it is better than the helter-skelter

Ugh, chapter 7 cleared and my search for a challenge continues. I just want to skip to the end and get to the real fun you all seem to be enjoying. :\

[quote name='Jodou']Ugh, chapter 7 cleared and my search for a challenge continues. I just want to skip to the end and get to the real fun you all seem to be enjoying. :\[/QUOTE]
Chapter 11 is awaiting :D

Jodou, in Chapter 11 try to take down one of the big armored turtle dealies - tell me how easy the game is then ;).

Seriously, though, I'm guessing it is simply not possible for me to attack those yet, correct? I assumed I had to wait till the end to go back and deal with them. I tried once just for fun and it wiped out my party while I was trying to change paradigms about 5 seconds after the battle started.

yea they're mainly for post-story. you can use an eidolon, to knock out it's legs and then try death a few times before it gets up, you may get lucky.

io, check back on page 14, i posted a strat (hidden in spoiler) that seems to work really well against turtles. You do need at least a Kain's lance on fang, so spam death on a turtle with vanille until you get your first trap. My strat is one of the safest ways though, since you always have a medic out whenever the turtle is still able to attack you.

[quote name='io']Jodou, in Chapter 11 try to take down one of the big armored turtle dealies - tell me how easy the game is then ;).

Seriously, though, I'm guessing it is simply not possible for me to attack those yet, correct? I assumed I had to wait till the end to go back and deal with them. I tried once just for fun and it wiped out my party while I was trying to change paradigms about 5 seconds after the battle started.[/QUOTE]

You're probably going to want some upgraded General's Belts and Clay Rings before you try to kill one without Death or a Summon, but they're not as hard as they appear. Just a matter of buffing and having enough HP/resistance to live through Quake and shifting into Combat Clinic right before he stomps. May also want a Genji Glove and enough Strength on Fang to kill a leg mostly on her own with Highwind. (Mid-level Venus Gospel will be fine if you're in Crystarium level 10.)

[quote name='io']Jodou, in Chapter 11 try to take down one of the big armored turtle dealies - tell me how easy the game is then ;).

Seriously, though, I'm guessing it is simply not possible for me to attack those yet, correct? I assumed I had to wait till the end to go back and deal with them. I tried once just for fun and it wiped out my party while I was trying to change paradigms about 5 seconds after the battle started.[/QUOTE]

The game was already hard at first encounter with Barthandelus

I have to power up my General's Belts, Slyphid Rings a tiny bit and then I'll be ready for Mission 64.

Does anyone know where I can get some Uranitite?

[quote name='KingBroly']I have to power up my General's Belts, Slyphid Rings a tiny bit and then I'll be ready for Mission 64.

Does anyone know where I can get some Uranitite?[/QUOTE]

All catalysts cept Traps/DM are best bough after farming ingots.

Uraninite don't drop off anything that I can remember. If you really don't want to farm, your best bet is chocobo digging.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Chapter 11 is awaiting :D[/QUOTE]
Man, I can't wait to ditch the zeroes and get with the heroes. All this team swapping is annoying!

I see they finally took note of people complaining about monsters dropping coin, but el oh el did they seem to trivialize money. I haven't had to spend a gil on anything nor upgrade shit. Is that normal? I couldn't imagine making the game any easier at this point, so should I just be saving all this stuff for one uber upgrade? And why did they have to mark every new item you get even if it's something stacked?! My OCD can't handle not checking the damn items list every time I open the menu lol.

Is there any reason to start upgrading weapons/accessories before chapter 12? Seems like I'd want to save all the upgrade material for the weapons first off. Any accessories worthwhile for an upgrade beforehand?

End of the day, you end up using one material to upgrade weapons (reactor, worth 40000 exp). Other accessories you might as well upgrade because they're really cheap to buy later on.

[quote name='Jodou']Ugh, chapter 7 cleared and my search for a challenge continues. I just want to skip to the end and get to the real fun you all seem to be enjoying. :\[/QUOTE]

Oh my God, I can't wait til you play chapter 11.

[quote name='Trakan']Oh my God, I can't wait til you play chapter 11.[/QUOTE]
Seriously, Chapter 11 is incredibly beautiful but a huge PITA so far.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']Seriously, Chapter 11 is incredibly beautiful but a huge PITA so far.[/QUOTE]

I loved it but I think it's the last time he'll mention difficulty.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']All catalysts cept Traps/DM are best bough after farming ingots.

Uraninite don't drop off anything that I can remember. If you really don't want to farm, your best bet is chocobo digging.[/QUOTE]

How many ingots should I farm? And let me just say that Long Guis are now roaming Grand Pulse. I've stayed away so far.

I can't believe that drops are completely random. There are times when I kill 30 tortoises in a row and i get NOTHING, i repeat nothing. Then I turn off the system and come back to it a few hours later, and I'll get SOMETHING every other run for like, 20 runs in a row! What the hell is with this?

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']Boxed Phalanx is a pest, have not been able to beat him. Any suggestions on that fight?[/QUOTE]

I talked about this in the last couple of pages and got advice from a few people.

Here's how I ended up doing it rather easily after being frustrated the first time:

Fang/Light/Vanille

I didn't really have any fancy weapons though I did get Vanille's Belladonna Wand up to level 14 or so. Since that seems to be the weapon of choice you might as well do the same. I also spent about 3-4 hours exploring and gaining CP in between my attempts. I really concentrated on going for the 100 HP nodes, so I probably had about 1000 more HP on my successful attempt than initially - though I'm not sure it was that critical.

But in the battle I did this:

Start off with "Exploitation" (SAB/COM/SAB) and pile the debuffs on the boxed phalanx. Completely ignore the hoplites. It is tempting to get rid of the them first because they are fairly weak, but the phalanx will just make more. Once you get some debuffs going (2 cycles of the ATB usually) then switch to "Relentless Assault" (COM/RAV/RAV). Of course you are trying to stagger him as quickly as possible. It helps to have the upgraded Whistlewind Scarf (forget what it is called) - it is an easy upgrade to do and you should have the catalyst for it. That means full ATB gauge when you start the battle which gives you a jump on them.

You will probably have to take at least one break and do some "Combat (I forget what it's called)" (SEN/MED/MED). Then go back to staggering, and switch to "Aggression" when you get him staggered (COM/COM/RAV). Vanille (or whoever your Ravager is) will probably get beat on by the upgraded hoplites so either just let her die if you are close and then use the Renew ability, or stop again to heal. Once you have the Phalanx out of the way, just go after the Hoplites. You can use Dispel (from SAB/COM/SAB or SAB/MED/SAB) to take down their upgrades but it probably isn't necessary at that point.

That is pretty much the hardest thing you have to deal with the rest of the chapter until potentially the boss (which I haven't fought yet - stopped just short last night). Beware there is another set of Boxed Phalanx + three hoplites just ahead of that though. But once I had the strat down they weren't too much more trouble.

One thing I've noticed about this game that I've never noticed in any other RPG I've ever played is the actual substantial effect debuffs (and presumably buffs though I don't have anyone to do that now) have. In most RPGs I always ignore those spells because they seem to have minimal effect or enemies are immune to many of them. In this game using SAB abilities really makes a difference.

[quote name='KingBroly']How many ingots should I farm? And let me just say that Long Guis are now roaming Grand Pulse. I've stayed away so far.[/QUOTE]

Just farm the one in Eden, you're gonna need so much fucking Gil to upgrade all the weapons and buy adamantite and crap. Ugh.

I have like 10-15 Tetradic Crowns I could sell. I also have 1 or 2 Tiaras (Although I'll probably keep one to make a third Sprint Shoes.

bread's done
Back