Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Trakan']I loved it but I think it's the last time he'll mention difficulty.[/QUOTE]
My question is: do they half-ass it and just increase how much dmg/HP mobs do/have or do they actually make you think?

I made it about halfway through 9 last night (getting close!) and I'm seriously about to just start skipping cut-scenes because there's more filler here than an episode of Seinfeld. The story has such a great premise, but the characters are fucking garbage. At one point I was digging Sazh (because you just know a brotha wants to taste that bit-o-honey Vanille), but now he's going all emo and I lost all respect for him. Everyone else is so cliche and wrapped up in uninteresting sub-plots that I just don't care.

[quote name='zewone']You'll need way more money than that.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know that. I'm guessing 4 million gil will be enough.

[quote name='Jodou']I made it about halfway through 9 last night (getting close!) and I'm seriously about to just start skipping cut-scenes because there's more filler here than an episode of Seinfeld. The story has such a great premise, but the characters are fucking garbage. At one point I was digging Sazh (because you just know a brotha wants to taste that bit-o-honey Vanille), but now he's going all emo and I lost all respect for him. Everyone else is so cliche and wrapped up in uninteresting sub-plots that I just don't care.[/QUOTE]

im really surprised you're not digging the story, I was totally into the story, the characters, and their background stories. I only really didn't like hope because he's a whiny little emo boy, but he grew on me later. I'm 20+ hours into the post game and i'm still learning interesting parts of the story.

[quote name='Jodou']I made it about halfway through 9 last night (getting close!) and I'm seriously about to just start skipping cut-scenes because there's more filler here than an episode of Seinfeld. The story has such a great premise, but the characters are fucking garbage. At one point I was digging Sazh (because you just know a brotha wants to taste that bit-o-honey Vanille), but now he's going all emo and I lost all respect for him. Everyone else is so cliche and wrapped up in uninteresting sub-plots that I just don't care.[/QUOTE]
You'll feel for Sazh again soon enough. He's still my fav out of the whole group.
Fang looks like an 80's punk rocker, she almost looks like a dude. More manly than the rest of the party anyways :p

[quote name='benwah']im really surprised you're not digging the story, I was totally into the story, the characters, and their background stories. I only really didn't like hope because he's a whiny little emo boy, but he grew on me later. I'm 20+ hours into the post game and i'm still learning interesting parts of the story.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a huge fan of Hope but I don't get all the hate for him. He is a 14 year old that
watched his mother die then shortly after that was turned into a l'Cie
. IMHO Hope wasn't being nearly as emotional as 95% of most teens if they were put in similar predicaments. Hope's character isn't suppose to be the cherished loved hero but instead he is there to show adolescence dealing with
loosing a parent on top of dealing with the whole L'Cie thing
[quote name='Jodou'] At one point I was digging Sazh (because you just know a brotha wants to taste that bit-o-honey Vanille), but now he's going all emo and I lost all respect for him. Everyone else is so cliche and wrapped up in uninteresting sub-plots that I just don't care.[/QUOTE]
Are you playing the same game as I'm playing? At no point did I ever get the impression that Sazh was hitting on Vanille but instead he was playing the father role trying to protect her. Vanille's naive outlook is one of a 15 year old and it would have been incredibly creepy if Sazh at any point made any sort of a pass towards Vanille.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spoo']I'm not a huge fan of Hope but I don't get all the hate for him. He is a 14 year old that watched his mother die then shortly after that was turned into a l'Cie. IMHO Hope wasn't being nearly as emotional as 95% of most teens if they were put in similar predicaments. Hope's character isn't suppose to be the cherished loved hero but instead he is there to show adolescence dealing with loosing a parent on top of dealing with the whole L'Cie thing.

Are you playing the same game as I'm playing? At no point did I ever get the impression that Sazh was hitting on Vanille but instead he was playing the father role trying to protect her. Vanille's naive outlook is one of a 15 year old and it would have been incredibly creepy if Sazh at any point made any sort of a pass towards Vanille.[/QUOTE]

I think Vanille is like 500 years old or more

[quote name='spoo']
Are you playing the same game as I'm playing? At no point did I ever get the impression that Sazh was hitting on Vanille but instead he was playing the father role trying to protect her. Vanille's naive outlook is one of a 15 year old and it would have been incredibly creepy if Sazh at any point made any sort of a pass towards Vanille.[/QUOTE]

He watches Seinfeld for story and plot progression. Clearly... whatever. /sigh

Put spoiler tags in your ages and moms dying and crap... so many spoilers!

[quote name='hqn101']I think Vanille is like
500 years
old or more[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with anything?
She was basically frozen in time, that doesn't make her physically or mentally older.

Finished up Chapter 11 and made it through part of 12. Didn't someone say the boss of Chapter 11 was the hardest thing in the game? I'd have to say the mech I fought in the beginning of 12 was harder than any boss in 11. Well, it wasn't hard so much as it just took a long time to wear down. But at first I thought the boss in Chapter 11 was the thing at the top of the tower - I didn't realize there was much more to come. The final boss (of Chapter 11), while considerably harder, wasn't too bad though.

It could be that I'm a little overpowered from my Chapter 11 grinding though. I think the upgrade pacing is actually still good in Chapter 11 in that I ended up maxing out all three primary roles before I hit the end - then the huge CP from the boss allowed me to get a good jump on the expannsion I got at the end of Chapter 11. Probably without the grinding I would have just had enough to fill out those primary roles before the upgrade for the start of Chapter 12.

Of course I also got the Taming Pole (end of chapter 11) and Lionheart (beginning of Chapter 12 - by the way, don't buy this from the store as soon as it becomes available as it can be found in a treasure ball just a short way from the beginning of the level). I upgraded both to Tier 2 level 15 or so. I think I'll just leave them there for now. The upgrading was pretty strange though - it didn't seem to matter how much I put into the 3x upgrade. If I used a couple of particle accellerators for 50k or so exp or a reactor for 144k it still left me with Tier 2 level 15 (after subsequently using the catalyst). Why did this happen? Shouldn't the 144k have made it much higher? Fortunately I backed up and just used the smaller upgrade before moving on. According to the FAQs both of those weapons should go to level 61 in Tier 2. Why did they both stop at 15 no matter how much exp I added? Note that I added the exp while they were Tier 1, then did the catalyst. So they went from Tier 1/Level 1 to Tier 1/Star to Tier 2/Level 15. But like I said, it didn't matter how much exp I put in from 40K to 144K) they both stopped at Tier 2/Level 15.

To make it more clear:
1) Initial upgrades using organic material to get 3x bonus
2) Big upgrade with mechanical component pushed them to Tier 1/Star
3) Subsequent catalyst upgrade made them Tier 2/Level 15 no matter how much exp I used in step 2.

[quote name='halfbent']Nope, any experience past the star level is just wasted.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's what I thought would happen - made sense to me. But then why did they go to Level 15 on Tier 2? Oh, is that because they went to Level 14 on Tier 1? Ah, crap, I guess that's it. I was thinking each Tier would have it's own set of levels. Thus when you went to star, then Tier 2, you would be back to level 1. I guess the levels continue to stack. That is very counterintuitive. Well, in any case, I didn't waste too much since I used just enough particle accelerators to get to the star (any less and I didn't reach star level). So maybe I wasted a few thousand on each weapon but that's no big deal.

But the good news is that means way less upgrading than I thought. I thought each weapon had to go to level 14 on Tier 1, then from level 1-62 on Tier 2, then from level 1-100 on Tier 3 (if you chose to fully upgrade). I guess there are only 100 levels total which is much better!

All the EXP you added to the tier 1 form of the weapon until its maximum is retained, however tier 2 weapons have different BASE EXP and INCREMENT values, so in most cases the level will drop, i.e. from 21 down to 15 or something like that.

You don't really have to worry about it, just know the exact EXP you should pump into an item or you're gonna be wasting components.

Someone used my Python code to make an online version of the EXP calculator.

http://1517dp.com/blog/ff-xiii-exp-calc

If the level of the item you're leveling is not 1, BaseExp input should be the Experience needed for that level (XXXX/9546), so you would enter 9546.

Offset is non-zero only if you already put EXP into the item, or you just transmuted something into it. In the above example, it would be the XXXX.

Max Level doesn't have to be the MaxLevel of the item, if you just want to level it up to 45 or something, just type 45.

Increment values differ for every weapon and accessory, you can find them in a guide somewhere.

So...anyone got an response to my comment/question? I seriously find it hard to believe drop rate is completely random, at least based on my experience.

Prinny, actually just using your FAQ would be more useful to me at this point. I had been looking for one that listed the total exp needed per Tier and somehow I missed yours. So, for example, on Lionheart when you say total experience for Tier 2 is 221900 that means that is exactly how much I need to go from min (Level 15) to max (Level 41), right? So now I know that whenever I get a Trapezohedron I can just add that much exp first. Or I could even do it now to have as high-powered a weapon as possible.

Edit - Ah, I see, but you only have Lightning's weapons in there. You wouldn't happen to know the Tier 2 exp requirements for Belladonna wand and Taming Pole, would you?

[quote name='io']Prinny, actually just using your FAQ would be more useful to me at this point. I had been looking for one that listed the total exp needed per Tier and somehow I missed yours. So, for example, on Lionheart when you say total experience for Tier 2 is 221900 that means that is exactly how much I need to go from min (Level 15) to max (Level 41), right? So now I know that whenever I get a Trapezohedron I can just add that much exp first. Or I could even do it now to have as high-powered a weapon as possible.

Edit - Ah, I see, but you only have Lightning's weapons in there. You wouldn't happen to know the Tier 2 exp requirements for Belladonna wand and Taming Pole, would you?[/QUOTE]

You can start the upgrade process now if you want more powerful weapons, but the first part of what you said holds true. Level 15-41 untouched will take 221900. So with the calculator, you can just enter in the stats for the item at any given level and it'll tell you how much EXP you still need. Otherwise, keep track of how much you added and subtract.

+ Belladonna Wand
Buy: 31200
Sell: 15600
Availability: Plautus's Workshop
Treasure: Chapter 12, Sunleth Waterscape (Sun-dappled Trail)
Synthesis: Positive Effect
Min Level: 1
Max Level: 21
Base Exp: 800
Increment: 116
Offset: N/A
Total EXP: 38040
Effect: Improved Debuffing
Strength: 5-65, increases 3/level
Magic: 11-131, increases 6/level
Transmute: Malboro Wand (Uraninite)
Dismantle: Fractured Horn x7, Cobaltite

+ Malboro Wand
Buy: N/A
Sell: 40560
Availability: Transmuted from Belladonna Wand (Uraninite)
Synthesis: Positive Effect
Min Level: 15
Max Level: 41
Base Exp: 3852
Increment: 168
Offset: 1752
Total EXP: 153000
Effect: Improved Debuffing II
Strength: 7-167, increases 4/level
Magic: 15-335, increases 8/level
Transmute: Nirvana Malboro Wand (Trapezohedron)
Dismantle: Spined Horn x12, Cobaltite, Belladonna Wand

+ Nirvana Malboro Wand
Sell: 70980
Availability: Transmuted from Malboro Wand (Trapezohedron)
Synthesis: Independent
Min Level: 26
Max Level: 100
Base Exp: 11440
Increment: 308
Offset: 5140
Total EXP: 1673328
Effect: Improved Debuffing II, ATB + 1
Strength: 7-403, increases 4/level
Magic: 15-807, increases 8/level
Transmute: None
Dismantle: Spined Horn x71, Supple Leather x60, Trapezohedron x3
Moonblossom Seed x36, Tears of Woe x10

+ Taming Pole
Buy: 27000
Sell: 13500
Availability: Gilgamesh, Inc
Treasure: Chapter 11, Oerba (Rust-Eaten Bridge)
Synthesis: Gestalt
Min Level: 1
Max Level: 26
Base Exp: 800
Increment: 116
Offset: N/A
Total EXP: 54800
Effect: Stagger Lock
Strength: 23-148, increases 5/level
Magic: 23-148, increases 5/level
Transmute: Taming Pole (Uraninite)
Dismantle: Begrimed Claw x13, Cobaltite

+ Venus Gospel
Sell: 35100
Availability: Transmuted from Taming Pole (Uraninite)
Synthesis: Gestalt
Min Level: 19
Max Level: 61
Base Exp: 4524
Increment: 168
Offset: 2096
Total EXP: 332560
Effect: Stagger Lock
Strength: 30-390, increases 6/level
Magic: 30-390, increases 6/level
Transmute: Kain's Lance Venus Vospel (Trapezohedron)
Dismantle: Bestial Claw x18, Cobaltite x12, Taming Pole

+ Kain's Lance Venus Vospel
Sell: 61425
Availability: Transmuted from Venus Vospel (Trapezohedron)
Synthesis: Independent
Min Level: 40
Max Level: 100
Base Exp: 15125
Increment: 275
Offset: 11985
Total EXP: 1382265
Effect: Stagger Lock, ATB + 1
Strength: 30-921, increases 9/level
Magic: 30-921, increases 9/level
Transmute: None
Dismantle: Bestial Claw x81, Chocobo Plume x72, Green Needle x54,
Perfume x15, Platinum Ingot x5

Can anyone respond to my comment?

Anyways, another question; can someone explain to me why the fuck Yahtzee is reviewing Final Fantasy 13? It's like David Duke assessing Barack Obama's performance as president.

Traps are 1% drops, Ingots are 25% drops. Collector/Conosseuire Catalogs will help drop rates, and so will 5-starring the Toises. But don't expect miracles. It's better to get an Ingot then go farm some TP and come back than to keep resetting hoping for a Trap.

Yahtzee is also reviewing it because he knows what his audience wants.

Thanks Prinny! I think tonight I might as well upgrade all three weapons to max on Tier 2. I have a few reactors and 3 platinum ingots that the robot in Oerba gave me to spend on more - that should be way more than enough to do it. Now I have the exact exp totals I need for all of them which makes it easy to see what to use.

Question - what triggers the gifts from that robot? I got the 10,000 step trophy from him and a bunch of gifts (the 3 platinum ingots plus a bunch of other stuff). Was it all from that or are there other hidden milestones that trigger gifts? I'm just wondering at what point it is worth going back there. I know you need to to trigger some of the higher-level trophies but that would be much later.

Also, in follow up to Broly there, does equipping more than one Collector Catalog help increase the odds of drops? I have one each on two chars. Should I combine them on one char for a better effect? Or is it one of those things that only helps once and it is a waste of a slot to use two of them?

Yeah I lol'd when he talked about Hope. My brother was watching me play the beginning and when it got to Hope & Vanille he literally said out loud 'where the fuck did he get that boomerang?'

[quote name='KingBroly']

Yahtzee is also reviewing it because he knows what his audience wants.[/QUOTE]
It was basically the same review from other sites that don't enjoy the genre but at least Yahtzee was honest about how much of the game he played (but not being honest about going into games neutrally since his 'reviews' are always about what he hates about said game.)

Square was also in fault for not sending review copies a month before the game came out.

[quote name='io']Also, in follow up to Broly there, does equipping more than one Collector Catalog help increase the odds of drops? I have one each on two chars. Should I combine them on one char for a better effect? Or is it one of those things that only helps once and it is a waste of a slot to use two of them?[/QUOTE]

I'm going with No, because that's what the Guide says.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm going with No, because that's what the Guide says.[/QUOTE]

I'm too cheap for a guide ;). So thanks for the info. I'll remove one of them and put something more useful in then. I also assume it doesn't matter who wears it, right? It doesn't have to be the team leader?

And who the hell is Yahtzee?

More than one Collector's might not, but a Collector's and Connoisseur's might, that's what I run with usually.

Prinny, so if you are 1 exp from max on a tier 1 weapon, and upgrade with an accelerator the rest of that 50k isn't wasted when you convert to a tier 2 weapon?

If you're 1 exp away from max tier, and you use a particle accelerator, the 39999 exp is wasted on that weapon. It does NOT go toward the next tier.

Yahtzee is a british dude who hates all games except Prince of Persian Sands of Time.

[quote name='halfbent']More than one Collector's might not, but a Collector's and Connoisseur's might, that's what I run with usually.

Prinny, so if you are 1 exp from max on a tier 1 weapon, and upgrade with an accelerator the rest of that 50k isn't wasted when you convert to a tier 2 weapon?[/QUOTE]

But those go for 2 different types of items. Conosseuire's Catalog goes for Rare drops, Collector's just goes for regular. So if you have both equipped, you're going for both item drops.

[quote name='IRHari']If you're 1 exp away from max tier, and you use a particle accelerator, the 39999 exp is wasted on that weapon. It does NOT go toward the next tier.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought, must have been reading the other post wrong.

Is my wording confusing people...?

10K steps is the highest for the robot, you basically got all the rewards for the other milestones the first time you talked to him. There's no point to go visit him ever again until you get Treasure Hunter since he'll unlock that trophy for you.

[quote name='KingBroly']But those go for 2 different types of items. Conosseuire's Catalog goes for Rare drops, Collector's just goes for regular. So if you have both equipped, you're going for both item drops.[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll do that then. I don't have the other one - I assume it is an upgrade of Collectors Cat.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Is my wording confusing people...?

10K steps is the highest for the robot, you basically got all the rewards for the other milestones the first time you talked to him. There's no point to go visit him ever again until you get Treasure Hunter since he'll unlock that trophy for you.[/QUOTE]

I probably confused the matter - but i blame SE for confusing me by starting out new Tiers with random-ass level numbers. They should go back to level 1 with the new Tier ;).

As for the robot, ah well, that's too bad. I got such a bonanza from him I was looking forward to more!

Yeah, it's an upgrade.

I'm apparently missing an Aurora Scarf, which is a Tier 2 item. Yet I have the Tier 3 and Tier 1 versions of the same item. Very odd.

I'm closing in on maxing out all my characters. One circle left for each character (or just about). It's going to be Sazh > Snow > Hope > Vanille > Light > Fang. Light would be #3, but she has to learn 2 moves on the final circle.

Jesus. 2 Hours of farming, 1 trap to show for it. Glad I'm done with farming those fuckers.

Anyone planning on replaying this once they plat it? I feel like prior to 11, there were so many frustrating fights (including every single gestalt battle) that I couldn't put myself through another playthrough. Unless of course they put in a New Game + (hint DLC) where the difficulty goes up but you keep all your shit.

There isn't a new game + already? In any case, nah, I don't think I'll replay it. I mean, once I get a platinum there won't be much use and I'll be pretty sick of it. Plus I have tons of other games to get to. I'll keep it though since I sort of collect RPGs. At least I'll have played this one ;). I still have FF X, X-2, XII all sealed - I intended to play them all but just never got around to it.

[quote name='io']There isn't a new game + already? In any case, nah, I don't think I'll replay it. I mean, once I get a platinum there won't be much use and I'll be pretty sick of it. Plus I have tons of other games to get to. I'll keep it though since I sort of collect RPGs. At least I'll have played this one ;). I still have FF X, X-2, XII all sealed - I intended to play them all but just never got around to it.[/QUOTE]

If you haven't played X you need to get on that shit stat! One of the best Final Fantasies, and RPGs in general, period.

The only items I need for upgrading weapons/accessories are 5 Dark Matters. I'm good for everything else...besides leveling them all up, of course.

Please tell me that the Shaolong Gui still have the same Eidolon weakness.

I guess I'll be leveling up my accessories/weapons first, then. This is going to take a while.

I guess I'll start with farming Mission 24 over and over to get my characters maxed while getting some Moonblossom Seeds.

Did they just switch development teams somewhere around chapter 9? Now THAT is what I'd call something worthy of a boss. For the first time in this game I got my ass handed to me on the first try, but only because Lightning was stacking offensive gear and couldn't survive his powered blast. Soon as I pumped up her stam and used buffs/debuffs, he was cake.

I finally hit chapter 11 and THIS is what I'd call Final Fantasy. No more bullshit corridors or non-factor enemies. Everything out here is at least somewhat challenging, but I'm still walking through most mobs with relentless assault. The only thing I haven't been able to kill are the turtles (an obvious roadblock meant for endgame) and some giant panther thing. I also cleared missions 1-7 with ease and only missed two 5*'s which I'll worry about later.

Sooooooooo, now that I have the R&D card: where do I farm money this early on and what weapons/accessories do I immediately upgrade? I'm sticking to Lightning/Fang/Hope for now due to versatility and the only weapon that seems to get huge bang for my buck is Hope's Hawkeye. I toyed around with a save file last night and made a 50 Eagletalon, but wasn't convinced it's worth dumping all my money into without an easy way to recoup the gil.

Any suggestions?

I think everyone rocks light/fang/hope at this point of the game.

Those giant "panthers" are King Behemoths. They're capable of almost wiping your team out in one hit, but if you buff up you can survive and take him down. It's a fun fight at the moment ^_^

I switched to Vanillle because Hope keeps rocking his 17,000 HP, while she has 22,000 HP. But Light/Fang are still there, and have been since the Chapter 9 boss because I thought through it and realized they gave me the most balanced party, and gave me a party where every class was available.

Pretty much, but I'd say around Ch.11 most people use my aforementioned party. I just want to put Vanille in since she uses imperil, but doesn't make up for what Fang has atm. I also want Sazh in b/c he has haste but his casting start-up (waves arms or something) takes a little while plus Hope has more spells at his disposal atm as well :/

Light is pretty balanced, Fang can be defensive/status inflictor, and Hope is healer/mr.buffout

I've tried different combinations, and this party seems to survive the longest and be the most effective. I actually wished there were more than six paradigm slots.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I think everyone rocks light/fang/hope at this point of the game.

Those giant "panthers" are King Behemoths. They're capable of almost wiping your team out in one hit, but if you buff up you can survive and take him down. It's a fun fight at the moment ^_^[/QUOTE]
Nah, I down the King Behemoths just fine with a pre-emptive strike and COM/COM/RAV. I'm talking about that one big cat that has like 3-4 guys following him near the middle of the map; his stagger drops waaaaaaaaay too fast.

[quote name='Jodou']Nah, I down the King Behemoths just fine with a pre-emptive strike and COM/COM/RAV. I'm talking about that one big cat that has like 3-4 guys following him near the middle of the map; his stagger drops waaaaaaaaay too fast.[/QUOTE]
Wait, nm, you must be talking about something different. The gigantic one I'm thinking of is pretty easy, like easier than a behemoth

bread's done
Back