Final Fantasy XIV Official Thread

[quote name='Guerrilla']Anyone else find it clunky and lacking? I know it's beta, and most MMOs are released too early, but... I don't know.[/QUOTE]

It really is as you put it "clunky". Which is why I recommend a controller if you have one, it makes the experience a little better. It's just like it was with FFXI..it feels like a console port.

I also found that putting a 30 minute timer on most of the quests wasn't reasonable. If you get disconnected or have to quit during a quest you have activated, you'll have to go all the way back to the NPC that gave you the quest and start all over. That is going to piss allot of people off plain and simple. Additionally the engine for the game didn't feel optimized. Granted the game is still in a beta state, but FFXI never felt optimized either and still don't. So given their track record, I doubt this will change after it releases.

I'll definitely be waiting for the PS3 release, as it already feels like a console game as it is.

I'm installing it right now. Anyone know what needs to be done to make sure I get my ff13 item? I registered it months ago

I WANT IT BAD! But I gotta wait for the PS3 version cause my comp can't handle the pressure. Hopefully PS3 gets a collectors edition. See you there in 6 months. . .

[quote name='Guerrilla']Amazon failed my release-date shipment. I'm raising hell.[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean you'll politely tell them the situation and then ull get ur 8+ dollar credit. :)

Playing on Besaid server (I think). I had to manually download the updates. Updating through the downloader would've taken way, way too long.

I made it from beta to collectors edition! Everything's installed and I was playing a bit last night on Besaid.

Onion helm looks ridiculous.

UI lag has definately lessened, especially for mouse users.

I am disappointed in my retainer choices though--seems like some were changed since beta. My topless male Elezan retainer is gone. Noooooooooooo! I guess I'll have to settle for one of those muscular Highlanders.

I'm on Palamacia, and I gotta agree the Onion Helms look crazy dumb, and everyone is wearing them since they give decent stat increases.

Also, I gotta say the entire method of setting up your account, subscription, and adding in game items was probably one of the most confusing processes I have ever done for a game. BUT! I am having a great time in game!

[quote name='TravistyOJ']

Also, I gotta say the entire method of setting up your account, subscription, and adding in game items was probably one of the most confusing processes I have ever done for a game. BUT! I am having a great time in game![/QUOTE]

This. I can't believe how confusing the process was. I imagine there is going to be a huge shitstorm of pissed off players next week when the regular version of this game hits retail just from the new account setups alone! Be warned, there is no direct billing to SE to pay for this game--right now we have to go through third party companies or buy gamecards to pay for gametime.

Onion helm, from beta:
onionhelm.jpg

My character from beta, which I transferred to live, with her old (now unavailable) retainer leering at her. She will miss you, Booker!

betatoonandretainer.jpg

Are there any good fansites for this game or other places where I can find info about it? I've been browsing but not finding much and am sort of interested on picking it up.

Thanks!

Can someone please explain to me where do i get better weapons and armor. I'm playing a Marauder in the town of Limsa Lominsa and can not find any upgrades. Please do not tell me I have to craft all of my gear?

[quote name='tukai']Can someone please explain to me where do i get better weapons and armor. I'm playing a Marauder in the town of Limsa Lominsa and can not find any upgrades. Please do not tell me I have to craft all of my gear?[/QUOTE]

You have to craft it or buy it off another player who is a crafter, or someone's retainer in the market ward.

I've found the easiest way to get upgrades is to go into the guild shops/city NPC vendor wards and look for crafters stationed there bazaaring their stuff. Many crafters will sell stuff as they work on their tradeskills--just look for the brown bag symbol next to their name.

Played ff 11 for 2 years back in the day and 14 looks pretty cool. Would love to her some thoughts from those playing it right now. Not sure if I want to hit kmart up for the 20 bucks off deal. How is the leveling system? Can you solo a decent amount really or still need parties for most key events? Thanks.

So are all of you folks who are playing this right now digging this game? This is going to be my first mmorpg, just wondered what you impressions were. I still plan on getting the reg edish from amazon this week.

FFXIV is really not a beginner MMO. Square has gone the innovative route to try and incorporate Final Fantasy gameplay into a MMO (feels more so than FFXI), along with not streamlining (lack of easy tutorial quests, complicated tradeskills) to leave a bit more mystery and wonder in the game. The problem is, that makes it a lot less user-friendly than WOW, LOTRO, or whatever. While the game is absolutely beautiful, the interface is clunky because it was designed to port to the PS3.

For those reasons, I can't exactly recommend it, but it's interesting.. However, I'm finding myself drawn to LOTRO lately. Some of my more diehard MMO friends from my EQ/FFXI days are trying to play FFXIV for what it's worth and they're honestly enjoying it, but they've already started speculating the longevity. That's not a good thing.

I'm playing on the Mysidia server and I am loving this game so far! I agree the menus and everything are clunky and the glitches are annoying but the game itself is really fun to play. I'm sure they'll get everything fixed soon enough. The one thing I do hope they add is an AH though. It really needs one!

[quote name='nekobi'] The one thing I do hope they add is an AH though. It really needs one![/QUOTE]

This is my big pet peeve about the game right now--No auction house, no item search function for peoples' retainers, no upgraded armor or weapons for sale through NPCs. I'm seeing alot of level 20 characters on my server running around still wearing starter armors and weapons because they have difficulty finding replacements.

Even for people with the most powerful of computers, the Market Wards stuffed with retainers are a PITA because there is no item seach function. Player NPCs standing everywhere, no organization, and very little immediate indication as to what their selling-you have to click through a couple of menus to get to that point.

Gathering classes--mining, fishing, botany. I really like what SE did here. Each gathering node is instanced for each individual. Each person gets their own turn at a node, even if multiple people are using it at the same time. So no more single person hogging up all the gathering nodes in area. Everyone gets a fair turn.

My impression of this game is that it is mainly going to be a console MMO. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but so far it feels like the PC counterpart has been shoved out the door too early, as evidenced by things like lack of an AH. It feels like SE is reserving the big content release for the consoles, which is months away.

[quote name='Spacepest']This is my big pet peeve about the game right now--No auction house, no item search function for peoples' retainers, no upgraded armor or weapons for sale through NPCs. I'm seeing alot of level 20 characters on my server running around still wearing starter armors and weapons because they have difficulty finding replacements.

Even for people with the most powerful of computers, the Market Wards stuffed with retainers are a PITA because there is no item seach function. Player NPCs standing everywhere, no organization, and very little immediate indication as to what their selling-you have to click through a couple of menus to get to that point.

Gathering classes--mining, fishing, botany. I really like what SE did here. Each gathering node is instanced for each individual. Each person gets their own turn at a node, even if multiple people are using it at the same time. So no more single person hogging up all the gathering nodes in area. Everyone gets a fair turn.

My impression of this game is that it is mainly going to be a console MMO. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but so far it feels like the PC counterpart has been shoved out the door too early, as evidenced by things like lack of an AH. It feels like SE is reserving the big content release for the consoles, which is months away.[/QUOTE]
Agree 100%! I am level 11 THM, and I still have my starter weapon. It is so hard to find a higher level scepter and there are no NPC options to get it. I'm also wondering what the anima regen rate is going to be like. I'm already down to like 25 anima, so I'm going to have to reevaluate how I travel.

Hey does anyone know how to edit the thread title? I try to edit my first post and it wont let me change the thread title. Sorry for the newb question.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Hey does anyone know how to edit the thread title? I try to edit my first post and it wont let me change the thread title. Sorry for the newb question.[/QUOTE]

Edit Post - Click Advanced - Change Title.

For those of you looking for info about this game (such as it is, because its so NEW) these are a few websites I've been browsing for the past few weeks:

http://www.ffxivorigin.com/

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/

http://www.ffxivcore.com/

You just might want to take what you hear on their forums with a grain a salt though. Many have rabid fanboyism going on, especially towards people who dare to point out the game's faults. But if you're looking for things like quest info, its a starting point.

And this one for fun. Make a sig for you FFXIV character! It supposedly auto updates itself after you enter your character name.

http://www.enjin.com/tools/ffxiv-signatures

See, I made one for my Miquote!

And OMG yes she's BLACK!

Current pic of her in a noob harness and subligar, showing off her blackness:

noobgear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I only had the chance to log in and play it for like 30 minutes during the Open Beta, since I had to go out of town. How is the soloing in the game? I played FFXI for a couple of months back when it was released and after about level 10 or so, you couldn't really solo any more. My play time is scarce at best with MMOs, so I like being able to solo.

However, I will say that the few fights that I was able to do when I logged in, didn't impress me much. It seemed like it was very slow.

[quote name='Lokki']I only had the chance to log in and play it for like 30 minutes during the Open Beta, since I had to go out of town. How is the soloing in the game? I played FFXI for a couple of months back when it was released and after about level 10 or so, you couldn't really solo any more. My play time is scarce at best with MMOs, so I like being able to solo.

However, I will say that the few fights that I was able to do when I logged in, didn't impress me much. It seemed like it was very slow.[/QUOTE]Soloing is definitely a lot more possible, but depending on the class may require different strategies. I have been soloing my THM to about level 12, and things were smooth until about level 8. My THM, just like BLMs in FFXI, is a wuss at taking damage. So, regeared, and got my CON to rank 4, which got me cure. So I do a lot of curing on myself. Also, I got a WS at rank 10, so that helped. Anyway, so far it definitely seems possible, though it may have challenges. FFXI, wasn't even possible for BLM, RDM, or WHM.

[quote name='Spacepest']For those of you looking for info about this game (such as it is, because its so NEW) these are a few websites I've been browsing for the past few weeks:

http://www.ffxivorigin.com/

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/

http://www.ffxivcore.com/

You just might want to take what you hear on their forums with a grain a salt though. Many have rabid fanboyism going on, especially towards people who dare to point out the game's faults. But if you're looking for things like quest info, its a starting point.

And this one for fun. Make a sig for you FFXIV character! It supposedly auto updates itself after you enter your character name.

http://www.enjin.com/tools/ffxiv-signatures

See, I made one for my Miquote!

And OMG yes she's BLACK!

Current pic of her in a noob harness and subligar, showing off her blackness:

noobgear.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Those are good sites, I've also found http://ffxiv.yg.com/ to be a fast and accurate database. As for what you said about fanboyism, I could not agree more. FFXIVCore has some crazy people. If you have any criticism, they tell you to go back to WoW. So far what I can tell is that the nuts are the minority in game, because most of my random experiences with people have been positive.

I should have added, I've been soloing as much as possible in FFXIV--just to see if I can. If I get in over my head during battle and die, there is no experience loss, just a few minutes of fatigue that wears off. Its a completely different experience so far from FFXI, where you hit a wall with soloing after level 10, and you could actually DELEVEL from death related experience loss.

I really like how the class system is working out. Your character becomes a new class by simply equipping a new weapon or tradeskill item. Many of the skills from one class can be reused when playing another class. For example, my Marauder has a healing spell (Cure) which she got from previously leveling Conjurer. My Gladiator has a mix of skills: Bloodlust (hp stealing spell) and Skull Sunder (multihit attack which adds a DOT) reused from Marauder, Cure from Conjurer. So you can totally play around with builds to make soloing easier.

I just have to LOL at the fact that my highest class level is in BOTANY. My retainer is stuffed full of wood, plants, wierd fruits and bird feathers from it--now if I only I could find an easier way of selling them ingame!

And is it just me but since this game is so new--does anyone playing it now feel like they're "taking one for the team" to test it out for other players? (Hmm, maybe I should add that to my sig).

I can't install this game. First I could not install because I only have 5 gbs on my ssd left, so that was no go. It doesnt even give me the option to use my 1 TB. I try to load it up again and it saids i need Vista Service pack two. Sweet.

Edit: So i have to have 5+ gigs on the drive containing the "my documents folder"

Is there any way to trick it into using it on my slave drive? And why is it telling me i need a vista update when i have windows 7 home 64 bit?

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Those are good sites, I've also found http://ffxiv.yg.com/ to be a fast and accurate database. As for what you said about fanboyism, I could not agree more. FFXIVCore has some crazy people. If you have any criticism, they tell you to go back to WoW. So far what I can tell is that the nuts are the minority in game, because most of my random experiences with people have been positive.[/QUOTE]

I'm in ffxivorigin. For the most part not as much fanboyism going on. I enjoyed XI a lot, and did play Phase 3 Beta and Open beta, but for now the game isn't for me. I need some changed and then it will be tempting. I'm personally waiting for quests to be added, just doing guildleve and the main storyline...well, not enough for me.

I've posted this in the origin website, and people are understanding, they do know the game has its faults. I mean not to say there are a few go to WoW comments thrown out, but not as many as say the official beta forums. I hate WoW btw...I was a FFXI fanboy :p

Are there any reviews up for this game yet? Or any primers to give me a good, brief overview of the gameplay? I'm tempted to pick this up, but I'm seeing so many mixed feelings on it everywhere that I'm hesitant to take the plunge until I know more.

Thanks!

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Are there any reviews up for this game yet? Or any primers to give me a good, brief overview of the gameplay? I'm tempted to pick this up, but I'm seeing so many mixed feelings on it everywhere that I'm hesitant to take the plunge until I know more.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The way things are right now...well unless you just are a die hard Square fan I would suggest waiting until the PS3 release and ask the question again. There are still a few things that need fixing and adding and 6 months is probably a good time to see where the game is going.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']The way things are right now...well unless you just are a die hard Square fan I would suggest waiting until the PS3 release and ask the question again. There are still a few things that need fixing and adding and 6 months is probably a good time to see where the game is going.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up just getting it anyway since it was a part of Kmart's deals and the sale ended yesterday, but I figure I'll try it for the free month and then see how it goes from there. What specifically needs fixing, do you think? Are there any glaring problems to keep my eyes out for while I'm playing?

As it is, I found out the game lacks an auction house and couldn't help but laugh. Oh well. Hopefully they get their act together over the next few months. If not, I guess they won't get my subscription money.

Thanks for the help anyways man, Appreciate it.

This game got scores so low I'd question you all if it's actually a functioning piece of software.

It it really that terrible? I was eagerly awaiting a PS3 release but yeah..

[quote name='Xellos2099']I enjoyed the game but then I play play ffxi for 6 years so grinding is a non issue to me.[/QUOTE]

So did I, but this game sounds like a couple of major steps backwards from FFXI.

Wow, so I just got around last night to trying to install the game and get an account created in time to get the extension. What transpired was an amazing night of frustration and problems getting anything done. I still can't get into the damn client to do anything because I have such a hard time getting updates (that aren't possible to be downloaded manually, natch) that it's still trying to get the last one. I didn't find out until literally ten minutes before the deadline that they had an account creation system online, because good luck finding that link very easily on their site. So of course it took me forever to make an account, add the service, and "buy" a character because I ran into issues with their servers that would force me to redo steps. I ended up buying my character ten minutes past the deadline, a full 5 hours after I started this whole endeavour. I emailed CS explaining my frustration and asking if I'd still get it, but big surprise, no. But they didn't say that at first. It took a day of back and forth with automated, canned responses before I finally got some clear answer.

This whole thing has left such a terrible taste in my mouth that I'm going to just play for the 30 days and leave and never look back. They managed to take all of my enthusiasm and excitement I had for playing and squander it. I liked FFXI. But that's not enough to make me want to stay now.

And I still can't play is the kicker. Wonderful.

EDIT: With some time to calm down, I just want to add -- it's not the fact that I didn't get the extension that makes me mad so much as it was one of the worst ordeals just trying to get a simple task done and half-killing myself trying to find ways to do it. Encountering one poor design choice after another just really pushed me to the end of my rope.

bread's done
Back