GameStop:
PS3
PC
PC Collector's Edition

(Source: www.ffxivcore.com)

Windows:
Final Fantasy XIV Collectors’ Edition
Release Date: September 22nd, 2010

Special In-Game Item: Onion Helm (Quickens recovery following KO.)
This special edition also includes:
-EARLY ACCESS - Play eight days prior to the release of the Standard Edition
-BEHIND-THE-SCENES DVD - Get an insider look at the making of FINAL FANTASY XIV.
-SECURITY TOKEN - A FINAL FANTASY XIV branded Security Token used with your regular password.
-TRAVEl JOURNAL - Record your travels in this beautifully bound journal with never-before-seen concept art.
-RIGHT OF PASSAGE - Redeem a voucher to receive your fully personalized right of passage certificate.
-BUDDY PASS - Invite a friend to play free for a limited time.

Final Fantasy XIV (regular edition)
Release Date: September 30th, 2010

Special In-Game Item: Garlond Goggles (Increases the speed of skill progression.)

Monthly Fee: $12.99 / 30 days
(first character free for 30 days upon activation)

FFXIII Secret Code Item (the promo code from FF13)
Asura Armguards: Increased Weapon and Tool affinity.

*PS3 version is scheduled for release sometime during the beginning of March, 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
remember that high settings are supposed to be maxed everything (AA, Shadows, lighting, etc) AND its running windowed mode in the test (which DOES make a difference). Nobody is supposed to score really high on the HIGH settings unless you own some tricked out system with 2x $500 video cards and a $900 processor and whatnot.

[quote name='callmewoof']remember that high settings are supposed to be maxed everything (AA, Shadows, lighting, etc) AND its running windowed mode in the test (which DOES make a difference). Nobody is supposed to score really high on the HIGH settings unless you own some tricked out system with 2x $500 video cards and a $900 processor and whatnot.[/QUOTE]
Who said? I am running a single gts250 and Crysis runs at a solid 60fps for me with everything maxed out except for AA which is at 4x. I paid $150 for my card by the way.

i went to preorder this with the free over night from Gamestop, tried to use my 10$ off coupon and the free overnight and cant fucking use both. I'm getting sick of gamestop being the only place that gives you 10$ coupons and not gift cards, every other place gives gift cards, walmart, best buy, toysrus, amazon.. so annoying.

I tried too so I say just fuck it and went to my local gamestop and traded in my blur for like 20 bucks to preorder ffxiv pc collector edition.

[quote name='Denzalo']If the control scheme for PC is still anything like FFXI, I'll pass.

Worst.
Controls.
Ever.[/QUOTE]

I played FFXI for 5-6 years and loved the controls on PC. Defiantly is a personal preference though.

I preordered the CE b/c I'm a sucker for anything Final Fantasy. Is the CE limited edition or are they making as many as people will buy?

I seriously hated the controls on FF XI. It was made to be easier to use a controller and didn't make sense when using a mouse and keyboard. There were a lot of menus and sub-menus that you had to dig through just to access a spell etc. I hope that they improve the controls in FF XIV.

[quote name='Unaki']Who said? I am running a single gts250 and Crysis runs at a solid 60fps for me with everything maxed out except for AA which is at 4x. I paid $150 for my card by the way.[/QUOTE]

I meant to say, nobody should SCORE high on the ff14 benchmark without really high stuff. I didn't mean to apply 'max settings to other games' with that statement. :)

Edit: I'm going to pickup the collector's edition, and the daily deal for free overnight shipping is tempting, but I'd highly bet they'll do one of those 'midnight opening' things. Even if they don't, I can get to gamestop at 9am on release day faster than UPS arriving at my house at 5pm the same/next day. But all things considered its not a bad promo at all.

Aha ha ha... what a sad day to have a weak gaming PC. Speaking of weak, it is rather weak that the PS3 version is scheduled so far past the PC version's release. :cold: Ah well, I suppose it is for the best, for me at least. I would be able to pay for one month maybe, tops, around September due to all the new games which are getting released.

[quote name='callmewoof']I thought someone posted that the ps3 version got bumped up to pc date? Maybe I need more sleep.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps they did. I didn't scan all six pages, I myself only read what was on pages 1 & 6.

If so, well, I will have a fun time resisting!

[quote name='VintageTurtle']Perhaps they did. I didn't scan all six pages, I myself only read what was on pages 1 & 6.

If so, well, I will have a fun time resisting![/QUOTE]

the official final fantasy page still says march 2011

Pre-ordered the CE earlier this morning from Amazon. Even sprung for release-day delivery. With tax, plus the premium my car takes, it worked out cheaper than buying it at GameStop, anyway.

Really looking forward to this and am anxious to get in on the ground floor. I played XI very briefly, but it was over two years after it had been released in the States, and I felt very out of place by then. I know from my experience with EverQuest, being there from day-one helps a lot in terms of bonding with the community, as well as forming lasting ties among the player base.

All that being said, I love the setting, and ever since my EverQuest days I've been dying to get sucked into a new MMO, but so far to no avail. So right now it's between this and The Old Republic to win my money. I'm getting a better vibe from XIV, though; TOR just seems too much like WoW in a Star Wars wrapper to me at the moment, but perhaps that perception will change between now and its release.

Anywho, I'm kind of excited.:) Glad I know my PC can run it, too. Don't think I could wait until March.

[quote name='Energist']Anywho, I'm kind of excited.:) Glad I know my PC can run it, too. Don't think I could wait until March.[/QUOTE]

=/

Looks like it'll be $200+ including the game if I want to play this on my pc, haha. Could do a cheaper upgrade but I hate bothering with a mediocre upgrade, feels wasteful.

Your excitement is getting to me which makes me more excited about dropping money I probably shouldn't on things I really don't need to play this game. I wonder come game time which side of me will win :cool:

[quote name='Energist']Pre-ordered the CE earlier this morning from Amazon. Even sprung for release-day delivery. With tax, plus the premium my car takes, it worked out cheaper than buying it at GameStop, anyway.

[/QUOTE]

how do you get release date delivery? i only saw an option for 1 day for fastest.

Pre-ordered CE with release date delivery (for me, it just showed up as one of the option).

Ran the benchmark on high, should be decent enough (radeon HD 5850)

ffxiv_benchmark.jpg

even with HD5850, that's all you get?

I have a GTX285 SLI, but this game, or at least the bench doesn't support it so all I get is 3200ish.

Posted on gamefaqs:

"According to SE you want a 2000 score for either Hi or low res to run it smoothly, reports from beta players are suggesting you can get by with 1300-1500 score for pretty close to smooth without any real annoyances(depending on your setup obviously)."

I replied to that post if that is correct and where the number came from, but the SE site has numbers from 1-10k which has to be BS when damn good setups have a hard time getting halfway to 10k.

The benchmark isn't the greatest benchmark ever so take your results with a grain of salt. Starcraft 2 then this 2 months later has got me more excited for games than I have been in a long time.

For people with Vista, change your windows appearance to "Windows Vista Basic," it will greatly improve your benchmark score and load time.

Would be nice if the benchmark could be done in full screen (and had more resolutions than what they offer to test with.)

Just commenting that the March release date of the PS3 version still stands in case anyone thought otherwise. Beta client was supposed to be released this morning but they fucked up so it's not. Beta is likely to start within a few weeks.

Some Euros are reporting that they are getting emails from Amazon.uk saying that the date on the CE was pushed back to the beginning of October but at this point nobody knows for sure. It could be an error, it could be the natural screwing of euro gamers that always occurs, or the game's release date could have changed slightly.

I wants the Garlond Goggles and my main character will never be able to obtain them since only new characters will get them :(

[quote name='Energist']Really looking forward to this and am anxious to get in on the ground floor. I played XI very briefly, but it was over two years after it had been released in the States, and I felt very out of place by then. I know from my experience with EverQuest, being there from day-one helps a lot in terms of bonding with the community, as well as forming lasting ties among the player base.

All that being said, I love the setting, and ever since my EverQuest days I've been dying to get sucked into a new MMO, but so far to no avail. So right now it's between this and The Old Republic to win my money. I'm getting a better vibe from XIV, though; TOR just seems too much like WoW in a Star Wars wrapper to me at the moment, but perhaps that perception will change between now and its release.[/QUOTE]
I won't elaborate on what you said, mainly because it would be nothing but repetition of what is above, however I will say that I wholeheartedly agree with all of it.

[quote name='wasabi5858']Pre-ordered CE with release date delivery (for me, it just showed up as one of the option).

Ran the benchmark on high, should be decent enough (radeon HD 5850)

ffxiv_benchmark.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Well, right now there is only one way to find out if my computer will sink or swim. Tis' time to take the plunge over those impressive CG waterfalls. I am predicting lower than 1000, aha ha ha... :bomb:

[quote name='Tracid']Its retarded the CE can't have the standard bonus item too, I want mah goggles and helm :([/QUOTE]

You can't have both! You get to look like a tool wearing one or the other, not both. Bonuses are nice though. Considering that it is a pre-order item, the bonus probably isn't that significant though.

[quote name='helmet']You can't have both! You get to look like a tool wearing one or the other, not both. Bonuses are nice though. Considering that it is a pre-order item, the bonus probably isn't that significant.[/QUOTE]

One thing I'm curious is can I use my FF13 code on my PC and get those cool gloves, also on FFXI you can play your account on either PS2 or PC, I wonder if I can do that with this one too hmm.

[quote name='Tracid']One thing I'm curious is can I use my FF13 code on my PC and get those cool gloves, also on FFXI you can play your account on either PS2 or PC, I wonder if I can do that with this one too hmm.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you can play your account on either, but did you have to pay for the PC client if you already had an account? As in CD keys? I remember FFXI came with a dozen of registration codes, I'm not sure if any of those were for the client though. I'd check, but my old booklet got trashed in flood a couple years back.

[quote name='helmet']I'm sure you can play your account on either, but did you have to play for the PC client if you already had an account?[/QUOTE]

I remember back then people can play on either since you just log into your PlayOnline so its not restricted. PC and PS2 players are on same servers, ie cross platform.

[quote name='Tracid']I remember back then people can play on either since you just log into your PlayOnline so its not restricted. PC and PS2 players are on same servers, ie cross platform.[/QUOTE]

Ah well, seeing as the game isn't released on PS3 'til MARCH, I'll end up buying the PC version anyways. There goes my master plan of getting it for PS3 and then playing it on PC. :(

I end up getting around 4100 in Low setting and roughly 3100 in high setting. Not too bad consider I have phemon II x4 940, 4 gig of ram and a GTX 275.

[quote name='helmet']Ah well, seeing as the game isn't released on PS3 'til MARCH, I'll end up buying the PC version anyways. There goes my master plan of getting it for PS3 and then playing it on PC. :([/QUOTE]

Yeah I know, they did the same crap back then to XI, it was also released around Feb/March. Only reason someone might want PS3 is so they can ahem, borrow the PC version from a torrent or something and just use their account. But this is different now and I think it might be tied to your PSN account or you have to log on to your Square-Enix account and access it either PC or PS3...one can only hope.

[quote name='helmet']I'm sure you can play your account on either, but did you have to pay for the PC client if you already had an account? As in CD keys? I remember FFXI came with a dozen of registration codes, I'm not sure if any of those were for the client though. I'd check, but my old booklet got trashed in flood a couple years back.[/QUOTE]You only needed one set of registration codes. As long as you could find the client downloads on the pc, you could just log in on either platform

You can have both pre-order bonus items. You just need to buy both copies and register both codes for your account. And have to wait until the standard edition to play.

[quote name='Xellos2099']I end up getting around 4100 in Low setting and roughly 3100 in high setting. Not too bad consider I have phemon II x4 940, 4 gig of ram and a GTX 275.[/QUOTE]

how did you score that high?

i have 16gb of ram (for my video editing stuff)
gtx285 sli (unfortunately, the bench doesn't support sli)
i7

what can i possibly do on my compute rto raise the score and how to do it?

[quote name='djricekcn']how did you score that high?

i have 16gb of ram (for my video editing stuff)
gtx285 sli (unfortunately, the bench doesn't support sli)
i7

what can i possibly do on my compute rto raise the score and how to do it?[/QUOTE]

What's your score djricekcn?

It's cross-platform play right? Meaning I won't have to worry about a dead community because of the late PS3 release?

Wish I had nice desktop at school =(

I went ahead and preordered in store, since I only wanted to put $10 down for now, as I'm blowing a bunch of $$$ on fireworks this weekend and the online portals require a hold of the full amount on your card.

In any case, I'm really MUCH more excited for ToR. But, I'm hoping this will hold me over for the time being, and keep me from dropping $60 on a new game every week as Christmas approaches.

4706115397_9a2d3d0bc9_b.jpg

[quote name='Xellos2099']What's your score djricekcn?[/QUOTE]

I got about 3000s

You're using a similar graphics card as me so I should be getting at least near you =-(

I believe 3200 is quite good and the numbers on their website are complete bunk. I've seen it stated two or three different times that people playing the game and running it pretty well are getting 2-3k. I mean, look at the actual performance more than the number.

Guess I have to get the game now. I'm in the process of picking out ram additions from newegg to go with my new graphics card I'll be getting from them as well. Eeek!

Nah, I don't believe it to be a directx error update from what showed itself:
ffbenchmark.png

I believe I have an NVIDIA GeForce, however I have completely forgotten how to check which make/model.

[quote name='VintageTurtle']I believe I have an NVIDIA GeForce, however I have completely forgotten how to check which make/model.[/QUOTE]

Go to your desktop, right click, click "Personalize", then "Display Settings", then "Advanced Settings". Should give you your graphic card information. If your card is up to snuff (which you can do a quick check of here), but the benchmark still won't run, you probably just need to update your drivers. Worked for me, anyway.

For what's it's worth, I have an ATI 4850 and only scored a 2006 on high and 2808 on low, but I've read from Alpha testers that if you're 2500+ on low you should be okay. The benchmark is far from optimized, apparently.

Weird, I have a Nvidia GTX 260 and scored a 928 on High (holy crap bad) but scored a 3800 on Low. Which is a weird gap compared to your scores Energist.

[quote name='callmewoof']Weird, I have a Nvidia GTX 260 and scored a 928 on High (holy crap bad) but scored a 3800 on Low. Which is a weird gap compared to your scores Energist.[/QUOTE]
Wow, that is weird. I haven't really compared my score to others', though, so I don't know if I'm the abnormality or you are.:lol:

Either way, I'm taking the score with a grain of salt. All that 2808 number really means to me right now is that I can run the game, but I'm not going to panic or get excited over it until I can test the actual game on my machine firsthand.

bread's done
Back