Finally saw The King of Kong via Netflix on the 360.

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
GREAT movie.

Billy Mitchell is one of the biggest dickheads I have seen in a long time though. He just talks and talks, but chickens out because he knows he might get beaten live. I haven't seen someone that full of shit in years.

I was SO happy when Steve got the high score in the end. :applause: He seems like a really great guy.

I saw it on G4 a few months back with the wife. We loved it. It is an awesome documentary. I don't know Billy personally, so I can't say how he is, but the guy has a lot of loyal friends, so that has to mean something. He comes off looking bad, but someone has to in this kind of thing.

And Steve on the kiddie drum kit is a life-changing experience. This is really a must-watch movie for anyone who spends time on this site. Funny, nerdy, and very well made.

The movie seems very biased towards Steve, but it's still pretty enjoyable, easily the best videogame related movie ever.

I finally watched it with the wife last night - we loved it. I'm pretty sure it was edited for maximum effect but it was still highly entertaining. It reminded me of Trekkies.

I want to catch this. It didn't make it to redbox AFAIK and that's pretty much the only place I rent DVDs now. Hopefully it'll hit cable at some point. G4 should air it.

[quote name='wubb']I want to catch this. It didn't make it to redbox AFAIK and that's pretty much the only place I rent DVDs now. Hopefully it'll hit cable at some point. G4 should air it.[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I saw it on G4 a few months back with the wife. We loved it. It is an awesome documentary. [/QUOTE]

Ha. I should have DVRed it.

Somebody PM me if they air it again. :whee:

Well, the part I thought was bullshit was, they make the guy show up live to play, and he comes pretty far, and then Billy won't and sends in a video to beat his score and they accept it?? makes no sense.

And this director went on to direct Four Christmases? maybe a shit movie, but that movie made mad cash and that sets him up for a nice career... that's a big step

The people who don't like Billy Mitchel are not giving enough weight to the fact that he has AMAZING hair. Seriously, he must condition it or something.

I watched this a month or so ago. It was a solid documentary. About as entertaining as a documentary about a couple of nerds can be.

I went in to this movie expecting to turn it off from boredom after 5 minutes but to my surprise I really liked it. Very entertaining. And yes, Billy Mitchell seems to be a major douche.

[quote name='Poor2More']Who and what is this about? I might watch it via 360[/QUOTE]

It's about a couple of guys striving for the Donkey Kong Record. One is Billy Mitchell who had held it for a decade or two, and the other guy is trying to break it (Steve Wiebe I believe was his name).

Yeah I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago and it was definitely worth it, but you guys need to stop dissing Billy Mitchell. He is a true American hero, always defeating the Canadians and wearing American ties.

[quote name='DrFoo']Yeah I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago and it was definitely worth it, but you guys need to stop dissing Billy Mitchell. He is a true American hero, always defeating the Canadians and wearing American ties.[/quote]
Also, his wife has great tits.

That junk was so one sided it was like the NFL All Pro Team puttin a whoopin on the Pop Warner All Stars.

there were so many editing splices in that movie it made my head hurt lol. Great movie though, i thorougly enjoyed it. but the only complaint i have,call it nitpicking if you will....they didnt have to make Doris Self look like a dumb lackey did they? (RIP Doris)

Billy is still the King. The guy broke Wiebe's record and decided to keep it close. I think i remember reading an article that he broke the record with 1 guy left and 5 more levels till he hits the kill screen. For anyone wanting to know, Wiebe did try to reclaim it at a MS even in 08..but he missed it by 1,100 points.

I hope these two continue this tug of war.

I don't think it is fair to paint Billy M. as a douchebag because of watching The King of Kong. Realize that we are only seeing footage shot and editted by the film maker and his crew. We are seeing Billy as the director of the film wants us to see Billy. He is made out to be the villain because it is more engaging as a film to have a "Bad guy" and to watch as the protagonist tries to overcome this evil force. I disliked him too, but I realize that all I know about him is what the King of Kong is showing me and I do not extend my judgment of him outside of the film. PLUS he has great hair and makes wing sauce. Awesome.

[quote name='Niblet']
I don't think it is fair to paint Billy M. as a douchebag because of watching The King of Kong. Realize that we are only seeing footage shot and editted by the film maker and his crew. We are seeing Billy as the director of the film wants us to see Billy. He is made out to be the villain because it is more engaging as a film to have a "Bad guy" and to watch as the protagonist tries to overcome this evil force. I disliked him too, but I realize that all I know about him is what the King of Kong is showing me and I do not extend my judgment of him outside of the film. PLUS he has great hair and makes wing sauce. Awesome.
[/quote]

QFT

There's another movie that just came out in the last few months called Chasing Ghosts. It's a good companion movie to King of Kong. It was showing on Showtime during December, not sure if it still is or not. It's up on torrent sites if you prefer the alternative method.

It focuses on all of the (cough) superstars of gaming from the early 80's. And if you didn't like "Mr. Awesome" Roy Shildt from King of Kong already, you will after seeing this film. Come on, the dude wears a cop hat with a giant A on it, and refers to Billy Mitchell as "Silly Bitchell."

I won't spoil anything, but there is a hilariously cruel jab at Walter Day (that referee guy who fellates Billy Mitchell at every turn) at the very end of the movie when he
submits his referee jersey to the Smithsonian for placement in their video game history collection - you know, since he's so important and stuff - and they send it back since that collection doen't exist
. Also, he thinks he's going to start a music career. Looks like he's off to a great start:

king_of_kong_5.jpg

Regarding Silly Bitchell...if I ever saw him in public, I'd walk up to him and say "Hey, I think I recognize you...I know I've seen you before...oh yeah! You played hockey, right?"

Because not recognizing him properly would probably make him angry. Then I would tell him his hot sauce tastes like a variety of piss and spices.

Saw this on opening night when I was visiting in Chicago (for the first time), I don't know how I timed my trip to Chicago so perfectly but it was not going to be shown in California and was only in one theater in Chicago and I just so happened to go that week. It was truly awesome, having a full crowd of people cheering and booing. So much fun!!! Definitely want to see more independent movies. Chicago Audiences are so much better than LA audiences...

I finally got around to watching this last night. Wow, what an awesome movie. I know my impression of Billy Mitchell is only defined by this one movie, but damn what an arrogant asshat. His little disciples are total douchbags too. I swear that one guy in Funspot was like Wormtongue. I just hope no one that isn't a gamer that saw the movie thinks we're all losers like some of those guys were.

[quote name='KaneRobot']There's another movie that just came out in the last few months called Chasing Ghosts. It's a good companion movie to King of Kong. It was showing on Showtime during December, not sure if it still is or not. It's up on torrent sites if you prefer the alternative method.[/quote]

I set the DVR - it's on again in February.

I saw it when it first aired on G4 last year. I really enjoyed the movie, and agree that Mitchell and his crew definitely acted like douches throughout the film. I plan on buying it on DVD whenever I get the chance.

I also want to check out that chasing ghosts movie, hopefully that comes out on DVD soon, too.

[quote name='Maklershed']I went in to this movie expecting to turn it off from boredom after 5 minutes but to my surprise I really liked it. Very entertaining. And yes, Billy Mitchell seems to be a major douche.[/quote]
Same here. I thought it would be nerdy and stupid.

But man, I choked up a little. :cry:
The lady friend and I were actively cheering and rooting for that little line graph showing his score going up and up and up.... :cries: he deed it

[quote name='dallow']Same here. I thought it would be nerdy and stupid.

But man, I choked up a little. :cry:
The lady friend and I were actively cheering and rooting for that little line graph showing his score going up and up and up.... :cries: he deed it[/quote]

Yeah. The ending really got me.

bread's done
Back