First MMORPG you ever played

My first was Star Wars Galaxies and left for some reason I can't even remember now. I miss the game oddly enough but they've butchered it since then.

Ultima Online. Played it for 8 years (played it for four around when it first came out, then took a break and played for another four years) I was Kefka on Sonoma. I think the Peoples Army of Sonoma guild still exists to. Great times but Trammel really killed the game (and the fun) because it was so fun to PvP and freely loot decaying houses and what not. Hell even my Dad was into the game till Trammel came along.

Tried EverCrack for a few months but got annoyed when I died and de-leveled. I also got into the PS2 version for almost six months and had a lot of fun, but It didn't come close to the fun I had in UO.

After Everquest I tried to get into Final Fantasy Online. I even bought the hard drive with the game for the PS2 and a PC version so I could be on the game when my parents were using the PC. I only ended up playing it for a few months.

I tried WoW but I somehow can't let myself get into it and at this point I doubt a MMORPG will ever capture the magic UO gave me considering I played it for about 8 years.

If you count Diablo 3 as MMORPG... er well I guess that would be my next venture. I plan on putting in a gigantic amount of time into that game. Infact, my wife is going to buy a beefy laptop just so we don't fight over the PC in the future when it comes out. Same goes for Starcraft 2.

If you count Diablo 2 then I played the hell out of that game, and still did quite a bit a few years ago.

If MUDS count I played a bunch of them way back when.
I played the original AOL Neverwinter Nights.
The first modern style one that I played is City of Heroes

Star Wars Galaxies was my first, I'd probably still be playing today if it wasn't for that piece of shit NGE. I quit right after they implemented that.

Now I've been playing Lord of the Rings the past 2 1/2 years and still loving it. For some reason it just never gets old or boring for me.

BTW, Diablo II is definitely not an MMO. It's just an online multiplayer dungeon crawler that you can only play with a few people. Not to mention the fact that it's a single player game with multiplayer tacked on, and randomly generated dungeons (no persistent world of any sort).

I've played a hell of lot of MMOs in my time but I think Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast was the first. Some people may not count it but I do. I still remember the first time I tried to pause it and was like "what the hell...".

The first MMO I had one of those unhealthy addictions towards was probably Planetside due to my love of Tribes 2 on the PC and Tribes Aerial Assault on the PS2. But that's an MMOFPS, so I'd have to count Final Fantasy XI which on bought upon release as the first.

I still remember that year between FFXIs launch and WOW. Back then FFXI didn't really have any better competition. I had 24 hour gaming sessions going on with that beast. I have to admit when WOW came it totally blew it out of the water and up until that point I was practically attached to my keyboard playing FFXI.

Diablo 3 and PSO are not MMORPGs, just was saying for the fact the few crazy people who do count them as MMORPGs that it will be the next game I get.

I am actually playing Phantasy Star Portable every few days. I can't see myself paying $10-$15 a month for this especially with Diablo 3 coming out this or next year.

I played:

Ultima Online Beta 3 (the last private beta before it went to public beta)
Everquest Beta 3? (I "worked" for a EQ website so I got in slightly before public beta)
I bought Everquest and played it for 6 months, my computer at the time just couldn't handle it (and at the time we were mostly playing on 56ks in my area, so it was slow/laggy/meh), but I loved having 12 classes (at the time) and how each was distinct, I prefer having more classes and more options than WoW's way of doing it. I got a cleric up to like level 30 and a monk up to like 35, which I was really impressed with at the time... remember back around 2000 it was damn near impossible to get answers to questions like it is today, and the various sites with maps and how to do quests weren't around, so there was a lot more playtime involved in leveling (plus camping, plus the ridiculous death penalty)

I bought and played WoW for about 3 months, I have level 47 or so, but I don't have time to raid/guild, so that killed the end game for me. I loved soloing though.

I honestly can't see myself getting into a MMORPG now that I have a kid (at least till he's older and I have free time), it just seems like too big a time/money sink to me.

Started with Gemstone (I remember charging up hundreds of dollars in AOL charges on this text based game.)

From there I got hooked on EQ a couple years latter. On to DAoC, AC, City of Heros, EQ2, WoW, Conan, Ragnarok Online on an Aegis server, WAR.

EQ was the life sucker, I had to quit after 3 years when I noticed I had played over 200 days. Crazy.

I started with Shadowbane then moved onto Lineage 2. Played wow for about 2 years and recently picked it up again last month.

for the people that complain about some games & their harsh grind, read about Lineage2 its unrivaled. Wouldn't recommend playing it since its a pretty terrible game....which i played for 3years.

WOW was my first and the graphics are what attracted me. I got hooked early on and it lasted a good amount of time.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Dark Age of Camelot (Best MMORPG ever).

And then I spiraled out of control, trying to find another MMO that could be better than DAOC.[/QUOTE]

You never will, I miss that one so much.

I started out with MUDs in the 90s, moving on to EverQuest for 6 years.

Nothing will ever come close to the wonderment of old school EverQuest. It really makes me a jaded gamer now a days, everything has the "been there, done that" feeling now.

I really got into DAOC for one summer, I almost forgot about it. It was another game with a really deep group and class system. I believe there were 8 person groups as opposed to 5-6 in most games, and you really needed a great mix of character types. I remember I played a cleric up though the 20s, and my brother actually maxed out his character (either a mercenary or an infiltrator I believe), the only time either of us has managed that.

I'll let you know when one worth paying a monthly fee comes out. Haven't seen one yet, it's a ridiculous concept. Play a game for a year at $15 bucks a months and you get completely ripped, IMO. No offense to anyone who enjoys them, I just cannot make a financial commitment to something like that, there's no guarantee I'll play enuff to get my money's worth each month, I'd rather plunk my money down on hard copies of games that don't require internet connections to play.

Dark Age of Camelot was my first, right about when Shrouded Isles came out. (Hibernia Guinevere!)

Looking back, the game itself wasn't too great, but the community made it a great experience. The sad thing about mmorpgs is that you can't go back and replay them and relive all the good memories. :( I miss old DAoC.(pre ToA and NF)

I tried EQ later on but didn't play it much. I can't help but feel that I really missed something special by not playing EQ when it was newer. The world looks very detailed and interesting to explore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually downloaded the EQ trial thing the other day, it just seems so dated and difficult to navigate now. I literally don't know how we managed to play games like EQ that were so unintuitive.

I know one thing that became extremely popular in EQ are Progression servers, where they start with just the original game, and then as people defeat certain bosses over time they unlock the content, so you can start over "from the beginning." Unfortunately, what I read was that it didn't get enough support to warrant doing another one

Everquest was the first, but on the 56k modem and being a sophmore in high school -- I really did not understand it (it was really the first mass market MMO, though not like the MUDs I grew up with.)

City of Heroes was the one that really caught me, after an awesome beta closing event my alter ego, the Iron Golem was ready to save Paragon City. I still log in every Christmas to give away all those credits I earned. I don't think I will ever find another experience like it, around the time I was graduating college and working security analyst position, I could play weird hours and for long periods of time.

It is true what they say about MMOs, the more you put in, the more time disappears and something about getting stuff out :)

[quote name='dwhelan']Everquest was the first, but on the 56k modem and being a sophmore in high school -- I really did not understand it (it was really the first mass market MMO, though not like the MUDs I grew up with.)

City of Heroes was the one that really caught me, after an awesome beta closing event my alter ego, the Iron Golem was ready to save Paragon City. I still log in every Christmas to give away all those credits I earned. I don't think I will ever find another experience like it, around the time I was graduating college and working security analyst position, I could play weird hours and for long periods of time.

It is true what they say about MMOs, the more you put in, the more time disappears and something about getting stuff out :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah City of Heroes was really fun, my main there was the "Hellucinator" , a force field illusion controller, real cool. I had my "Bubbles" really buffed up and gave real good protection to all teams (though also had good offensive with the illusionary pets). They had some good task forces missions, I remember having to protect the Nuclear reactor was very fun.

Well actually the only MMORPG I've ever forked down money to play is World of Warcraft. I can say I did play some Ultima Online at a friends house back in the day so I knew what an Online RPG was about, but I resisted playing MMORPG's because 1) less sex because you are stuck playing a damn video game 2) too addictive 3) loss of real life activities to gaming activities 4) you are referred to everyone as the stranger because no one has seen or heard from you in months/years

I quit WoW after nearly a 2 year run (from when it was released till the time I stopped playing). Unfortunately I actually want to go back and play but I know what it will do to my career at work and my personal life, and that is not a good thing.

[quote name='Aleryn']Ultima Online (PC)(September 1997)

I went ahead and got the Charter Edition that had some Collector's extras, and it also allowed you to start playing the game a few days or a week ahead of regular edition customers. So basically gave you an early release date.

Loved it to death for two years straight, bugs and all. Even the merciless PKs that'd kill anything stupid enough to travel in the open (was fun to become one of those evil bastards too! Ahahahahaha)

Went back to the game for a year some time after that. Had to quit once Origin folded and the game just went in another direction, pure trash, in my opinion. Damn shame that Lord British (Richard Garriot) and everyone else in Origin left. Before that though, just awesome.

Still, can't believe how much some people whine in things like World of Warcraft. Back in my day, if you died, you dropped ALL your items, EVERY time. Could die in a breath by a mob of PKs, nowhere safe to hide except towns. But at least you didn't lose experience like Everquest! UGH![/QUOTE]

The Good Ole' Days.... I played UO for around 5 years on Chesapeake. I miss being able to loot people, and rob people, and pwn people. :( Housing made that game cheap. I had a house with one corner in the guard zone of yew gate, pre-insurance/other bullshit. It was epic. Someone could attack me, I'd yell guards, my friend would run out and loot em. :D

I quit shortly after all the item stats/insurance/etc. nonsense. I did love the day someone forgot auto-renew on insurance so I got a full suit of artifacts on my disarm thief from him.. :D Stupid mage, attack me after I stole your reagents! =P That set got me a lot of gold before I quit... which I then sold..

Runescape (Started in 2001 and still log in every once in awhile)
The Sims Online (Played for about 2 months then never logged back in)
Dark Age of Camelot (I played about 2 hours of this before I gave up)
World of Warcraft (Played on and off since the game came out....I can't get addicted to it for some reason...)

Ultima Online, from there I went to Guild Wars (probably doesnt count since everything that isnt a town is instanced) then WoW. I dont play mmo's anymore, have moved back to console gaming.I would probably play UO still if they hadnt ruined it with carebear island

Runescape -> Dark Age of Camelot -> Final Fantasy XI -> World of Warcraft -> Kingdom of Loathing :p

Dabbled in The Sims Online, Eve Online, Star Wars Galaxies, that MMOFPS game (totally forget the name), Lineage 2, and the Matrix Online

[quote name='chronodev']Yeah City of Heroes was really fun, my main there was the "Hellucinator" , a force field illusion controller, real cool. I had my "Bubbles" really buffed up and gave real good protection to all teams (though also had good offensive with the illusionary pets). They had some good task forces missions, I remember having to protect the Nuclear reactor was very fun.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I loved CoH for a while, still the best character creation system ever in an MMO. I just wish there was more...stuff. Once i got into the mid-late 20s in levels I found myself bored out of my mind.

My personal favorite CoH hero was "Bad Puns Man". I was a typist at the time and was able to type like a maniac and still play effectively so I'd constantly spew out horrible pun after horrible pun. "Looks like we....iced that guy" after the party used an ice attack etc. People either loved it or wanted me to die. I always told the former types that my name wasn't GOOD Puns Man. When Champions comes out, if it doesn't suck, he may yet live again.

[quote name='fizzywix']
that MMOFPS game (totally forget the name), [/QUOTE]

Planetside?

That game was surprisingly good, just didn't have a big enough player base.

[quote name='crowbb']
My personal favorite CoH hero was "Bad Puns Man". I was a typist at the time and was able to type like a maniac and still play effectively so I'd constantly spew out horrible pun after horrible pun. "Looks like we....iced that guy" after the party used an ice attack etc. People either loved it or wanted me to die. I always told the former types that my name wasn't GOOD Puns Man. When Champions comes out, if it doesn't suck, he may yet live again.[/QUOTE]

Best. Hero. Ever.

I tried CoH, couldnt get into it everything seemed to similar (the warehouses and such). I did like how highly customizable the hero's were, but the gameplay just couldnt get me to pay for it.

[quote name='kainzero']the realm. (sierra online, 1996)

oh man. back then they had an open beta, so everyone signed up. well, the servers couldn't handle a lot, so you had to wait in an 800 person-line just to get in and play, and it would take hours sometimes. and i lived in a time when there was only one computer and 4 people who wanted to use it. good times.[/QUOTE]
Oh man, I was on there too. I loved the Realm but my parents just hollered at me to stop tying up the phone so much that I could never sink in the necessary time to build a truly great character.

I also sort of lost interest after the elves and giants were introduced.

I honestly don't know how we survived without mics for so long in MMORPGs. I remember having to type like a madman when I was a cleric in EQ, while doing my healing.

[quote name='lordwow']Planetside?

That game was surprisingly good, just didn't have a big enough player base.[/QUOTE]

That's it!

Yeah, I had some fun playing it. A new well-done mmofps could be pretty good

Only MMO I've ever played was Shadowbane. I played that on and off from release throughtout its entire lifecycle. The PVP in that game was so hardcore...I loved it :)

Redmoon. Man I loved that game. I never even got close to getting to the level cap (2000), but I'd played it from beta to release and even used my allowance to buy a subscription for it (I was 10 or 11 at the time). User-hosted contests in the PVP lounge, tree-growing seeds as drops, performance enhancing drugs, and a fairly awesome marketplace system, if my memory serves me correctly. I remember logging in before school started to get in on the crazy loot drops, since rates seemed to skyrocket in the wee hours of the morning. Good times.

[quote name='kainzero']the realm. (sierra online, 1996)

oh man. back then they had an open beta, so everyone signed up. well, the servers couldn't handle a lot, so you had to wait in an 800 person-line just to get in and play, and it would take hours sometimes. and i lived in a time when there was only one computer and 4 people who wanted to use it. good times.[/QUOTE]

Started with The Realm as well, and chances are if you ever headed north of Monmouth to Holy Caves, I jumped you. =P Even better than the beta was when they sold off the game, and the new company didn't have billing setup for about a year, so anyone with an existing account got to play free. ;)

The first I ever played was a MUD on the Amiga/Tandy in the days of 14.4 k :) It was called Torg. There was a table top version of it. It was like any other MUD with DnD influence except that every 15 mins there was temporal incursion and everything in the world changed. So if you started as an elf in a fantasy world you can end your night as a robot in prehistoric earth run by lizard men but log back on as a living teddy bear in a human child's bed room.

That game was great and I met a lot of cool people who helped me as a young man learn more about computers and programming.

Then next MMORPG that go into was City Of Heroes. I had made a lot of great friends playing that one. We ran the Freedom Server. We were the only SG that did not farm, fill or exploit the game and we were in the top 5. We also had the longest string of base raid wins with 221 Wins - 0 Ties - 0 Loses...until they got rid of base raids (Issue 13) that's when I and 35 of my main troops left the game.

I play MMORPG different than most. I try all classes but in the end I play only one character and del the rest.

I broke the currency cap of 2 billion inf by accident in issue 6 of COH and my 1 character has 36 billion inf.

I will probably go back to that game if base raids came back but since the DEVs are not going to make that commitment it's for the birds.

[quote name='Holy_Headshot']I'll let you know when one worth paying a monthly fee comes out. Haven't seen one yet, it's a ridiculous concept. Play a game for a year at $15 bucks a months and you get completely ripped, IMO. No offense to anyone who enjoys them, I just cannot make a financial commitment to something like that, there's no guarantee I'll play enuff to get my money's worth each month, I'd rather plunk my money down on hard copies of games that don't require internet connections to play.[/QUOTE]

You know a great many of the MMOs out there are free.

Started with Runescape, eventually went to WOW right after it was released play for around 4 months quit when I had to go back to school.

So 10 months later I reactivated and jumped back into WOW. With the news of the new expansion this was 2006, I dumped like 4-6 hrs a day into the game, 5-8 hrs on weekends. Eventually I quit around may of 2007 after deciding I was almost addicted to it for almost a year

Then after my first job outside of school I got back into it for like 4 months and I quit again. For me it just took up way too much time. I felt like I could never get ahead in the game.

I did enjoy partying and doing things with my friends. My buddy has tried to get me into City of Heroes, but I'll pass. I wish a RPG like Fallout could be made into an MMO, too bad the Fallout MMO was canceled.

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']The matrix online[/QUOTE]

Now see, this was a game I really should have given my money and time. I ended up reading 'The End' when the developers and community put together a collective history of what happened in this game...It's actually what I was looking for in an MMO. Content run by mods that changes...monthly storylines...*sigh*...The private servers get hunted down by SONY too.

[quote name='lordwow']I honestly don't know how we survived without mics for so long in MMORPGs. I remember having to type like a madman when I was a cleric in EQ, while doing my healing.[/QUOTE]

I was master of the binds.

I had a bind for anything in almost any game I played. It helped organize my teams to several awesome victories.

Anarchy Online (a few months after release) off and on. But if this counts...Diablo I. From there went to CoH, LOTRO, Guild Wars and a bunch of other F2p mmo's. Never jumped on the WoW bandwagon.

Dead Frontier...just now... lol... it was fun... but I don't like starting over every time you do the multiplayer... is there anyway to save your place?

Asheron's Call was my very first MMO. I wanted to go back and play it a few years ago, but it was infested with bots.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Dead Frontier...just now... lol... it was fun... but I don't like starting over every time you do the multiplayer... is there anyway to save your place?[/QUOTE]

Not yet.

Storyline-wise it would not make sense if you were able to save your spot anywhere because you need the safety of the outpost to make it to the next day.

So apparently UO still has 100k players still playing. Wonder how true that is? Must be a crazy cash cow for EA. I wonder how many people still play the first Everquest?

You know whats even more funny? The Playstation 2 servers of Everquest Online Adventures are still up. Yeah they are not as old as UO or Everquest 1, but a PS2 MMORPG?

Lets see....

BBS games using my modem :)
MUD games using telnet :)
UO when it first came out (hated dying, but loved stealing house keys/house plans in town, haha)

then the usual guild wars, WoW, City of Heroes, Champions Online, Aion

City of Heroes.

Loved that game and played pretty hardcore for about a year. Haven't really played any MMO's since.

Everquest was my first MMO. Then I played City of Heroes, Guild Wars, and WoW. I have Lord of the Rings Online installed but I haven't played yet.

First MMORPG I ever played was Runescape, then I played Knight Online for awhile and eventually tried Lord of the Rings online. If anyone ever makes a private server for the Lord of the Rings online I may join it.

Everquest, loved it and still do. Was in the beta for it, ahh good old days.
Went back to it a few times over the years and still enjoyed but not as much, as they have tried to modernize it as time has went on I've found I rather have the old ways back for most stuff.

The graphics are bad, but I still love them due to all the memories associated with them so cause of that I like the graphics still lol.

bread's done
Back