First scans of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 for DS (updated: more scans)

[quote name='zewone']The character art is terrible. Why didn't they get the guy who did the FF3 DS concept art?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, can't say I'm feelin' the "Lupin meets Rainbow Brite" vibe.

[quote name='trq']Yeah, can't say I'm feelin' the "Lupin meets Rainbow Brite" vibe.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. What the hell's the deal with Luso's hat?

The art looks closer to the original FFT, than FFTA. Infact, the game itself looks closer to FFT.

Regardless, I'll probably nab it day 1.

Ugh...I prefered the FFT and FF3 concept art designer more as well. Oh well, the game looks nice enough but I'm fearing another FFT/FFTA disconnect. I mean, FFTA isn't a bad game by any means but it just wasn't for me.

That's what happens when you hold something like FFT in such a high regard, I guess. Here's hoping FFTA2 has a bit more of a story, though!

[quote name='-Never4ever-']The art looks closer to the original FFT, than FFTA. Infact, the game itself looks closer to FFT.

Regardless, I'll probably nab it day 1.[/QUOTE]

I don't know that I'd compare it to the original art (this is more colorful and "cluttered"), but whatever. This is a no-brainer pick up for me, too.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']The art looks closer to the original FFT, than FFTA. Infact, the game itself looks closer to FFT.

Regardless, I'll probably nab it day 1.[/quote]I'm thinking the concept art looks similar to the new heroes of mana game for the ds

Their look reminds me still of FFTA...dunno what people are talking about. Especially the girl. Regardless I loved FFTA, and I'm one of the few that never played FFT, so I cannot wait to get this game when it comes out!

Adel is paking something in her trousers... Look at how small her waist and ankles are compared to how full her hips are. That's a bit odd.

Luso reminds me of the guy from Kingdom Hearts in almost everyway

Those maps better be 3D and rotatable!

Also, pleeeease let this be set in the "real" Ivalice with a decent plotline.

I love me some FF Tactics.

[quote name='Apossum']there's that weird guy from Mooky's avatar again... :lol:[/QUOTE]
:lol:

Pretty sure he's one of the "mascots" of the magazine.

And yes the art looks like shit. I also hated the original FFTA so I am very skeptical to say the least.

gahh first one was alright but the art style ruined it for me. This art style looks even worse, so w/e. FF3's is way better...

If i recall correctly the artist who did FF3 actually did the art for the original FFT. What I'm concerned is that it appears they're using the same sprites from FFTA in this game.

Am I the only one who really, really liked FFTA? I logged 1,000 hours in that game.

I think this looks great, hence, I fear it.

[quote name='Tybee']Am I the only one who really, really liked FFTA? I logged 1,000 hours in that game.[/quote]

It could be. I wasn't particularly thrilled with the fact that I could beat 90% of the game just by using abilities I was able to obtain within the first hour and a half of gameplay. That's not to say that other classes and abilities weren't important but since I was able to skirt around most laws that were in play no matter what happened...well, it was a bit silly.

That and the lack of the plot killed it for me. The battle system itself is above average but I started FFTA after beating FFT for the 6th time and after getting about 75% of the way through Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis. If Tactics Ogre could have a good plot and interesting characters & development then FFTA not being anywhere near it in terms of length or depth was a bit...shocking.

But that's just my opinion. Personally, I would have been happier if they stretched out hte plot more and examined the world itself but, in a nutshell, the game was primarily about you galavanting around with your new book buddies, only being momentarily waylaid by encountering an ol' chum who isn't taking too well to their new situation (or are taking to it too well).

[quote name='Tybee']Am I the only one who really, really liked FFTA? I logged 1,000 hours in that game.[/QUOTE]

Nope. That game owned my soul. In college I'd find myself playing it until 3 or 4 in the morning.

If this game has judges, I will be forced to take action.

Action means stealing every single copy of this I can find and firmly implanting them in the colon of the lead design.

I thought judges added an interesting touch to the gameplay. I love the idea of them, even if they do annoy at times. Honestly, I'd be surprised if they weren't there with the focus of FFXII and Revenant Wings both including judge themes.

I absolutely hated them. They added false strategy. Instead of letting you customize and create whatever strategy and party you wanted, you were forced to play within these arbitrary limitations that made no sense.

If I buy a sword, I'm hitting some muthafucka with it, judges be damned.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']story? who cares, I just liked all the classes - though too many characters is annoying, imo.

i hated how slow KoL was.[/quote]
Ditto and ditto. The cool classes were the main attraction of FFTA for me, and using the guide and working towards making the certain classes I wanted was most of the fun. A more comprehensive story (beyond "Wow, we're kids in this crazy koo koo world. Some of us like it and some of us don't. Should we go back to the real world or not?") would have certainly been nice, but it wasn't terrible as it was.

Knights of Lodis was fun for a while, but I gave up on it halfway through. The battles just seemed to be a lot more tedious for some reason.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Nope. That game owned my soul. In college I'd find myself playing it until 3 or 4 in the morning.[/quote]
That's why I can only play a game like this on a handheld. Thus, I can sit with my wife and watch TV or a movie or something while playing (and it doesn't monopolize my attention). I simply don't have the time to dedicate myself to RPGs and strategy games on the PC or a TV-based console.

[quote name='Logain8955']If this game has judges, I will be forced to take action.

Action means stealing every single copy of this I can find and firmly implanting them in the colon of the lead design.[/QUOTE]
:applause:

[quote name='Logain8955']I absolutely hated them. They added false strategy. Instead of letting you customize and create whatever strategy and party you wanted, you were forced to play within these arbitrary limitations that made no sense.

If I buy a sword, I'm hitting some muthafucka with it, judges be damned.[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly. I loved FFT, but the judges and terrible story kept me from getting more than halfway through its sequel. The screenshot of the kid in pajamas with a book worries me that this game will have a storyline comparable to FFTA.

[quote name='Tybee']Ditto and ditto. The cool classes were the main attraction of FFTA for me, and using the guide and working towards making the certain classes I wanted was most of the fun. A more comprehensive story (beyond "Wow, we're kids in this crazy koo koo world. Some of us like it and some of us don't. Should we go back to the real world or not?") would have certainly been nice, but it wasn't terrible as it was.

Knights of Lodis was fun for a while, but I gave up on it halfway through. The battles just seemed to be a lot more tedious for some reason.

That's why I can only play a game like this on a handheld. Thus, I can sit with my wife and watch TV or a movie or something while playing (and it doesn't monopolize my attention). I simply don't have the time to dedicate myself to RPGs and strategy games on the PC or a TV-based console.[/quote]

i think we should join hands in our agreeance about portable rpgs.

looks more like the mana games than it does FFT... >_< why can't they go back to the original style and less kiddy nature of the game? it was so good because of that!

At least the PSP is keeping the original tradition going.

oh, and I will buy this, but I already can say I am not liking it as much as FFT, but hopefully more than FFTA.

I liked FFTA too, but Judges were a pain in the ass. The problem was I would accidently break laws because I forgot or was too lazy to navigate the half-dozen menus to get to the laws screen.

my main problem with these games are that that character depth is very shallow when compared to FFT... heck, everything was epic in FFT, but in FFT everythiing just looks perty.

For FFTA2 I at least hope they ditch the kids with dreambook idea.

i don't mind the kids, after all, it's probably marketed to younger people.
i was 9 or 10 when ffvi came out and that hooked me for life.

[quote name='Tybee']Am I the only one who really, really liked FFTA? I logged 1,000 hours in that game.

I think this looks great, hence, I fear it.[/QUOTE]

Nope 60 hours of bliss I hada bad ass lead character

i hated ffta, i hope ill like this one :( i was seriously reconsidering selling my DS and getting a PSP again because of the original FFT re-release grr why cant the ds have that :p

Looks a lot like FFTA, but with significantly improved graphics (look at some of those spell effects).

What's the deal with that huge guy in the sidebar who seems to jump out of the playfield and then grab it and shake it?

[quote name='Tybee']Looks a lot like FFTA, but with significantly improved graphics (look at some of those spell effects).

What's the deal with that huge guy in the sidebar who seems to jump out of the playfield and then grab it and shake it?[/QUOTE]

Its a summon. I think. Its kinda like in the first one except with better effects.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']fuck!!!! that damn book is back again![/quote]

My thoughts exactly. AND they recycled the player sprites. The backgrounds don't look rotatable, either, but then again, that "summon" sidebar on page 3 looks like the playing field might be 3D. Stupid storybook... :whistle2:(

it doesn't look like a major upgrade which is disappointing.

with enough minor tweaks and changes it would have been really great, but from what we see here, it doesn't look to great.

AND STILL, i wait with bated breath

I liked the first one but i lost major interest after putting over a hundred hours into it.

I'm also in the camp that strategy RPGs are best on handhelds. Disgaea and FFT are going to make my 360 a lonely guy when they release.

it looks like theres a big judge in the logo, so maybe there still are judges. in either case im sad it looks so much like FFTA and not enough like FFT. i doubt the story will be much better than FFTA.

bread's done
Back