First scans of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 for DS (updated: more scans)

I can understand people being underwhelmed by the light-hearted story from FFTA, but holding up the first FFT as a bastion of what the story should be like? No way, jose. The bleak ending aside, that game was filled to the brim with overcomplicated japanese political gibberish that substituted for real narrative, and had an awful "transration" to boot. I think those rose tinted lenses are a little too thick, folks...

[quote name='depascal22']I liked the first one but i lost major interest after putting over a hundred hours into it.

I'm also in the camp that strategy RPGs are best on handhelds. Disgaea and FFT are going to make my 360 a lonely guy when they release.[/QUOTE]

I would shake your hand in agreeing so much with you. I'm learning some games tend to be more enjoyable when on the go (alot of PSP ports are a good thing IMHO).

[quote name='trq']I can understand people being underwhelmed by the light-hearted story from FFTA, but holding up the first FFT as a bastion of what the story should be like? No way, jose. The bleak ending aside, that game was filled to the brim with overcomplicated japanese political gibberish that substituted for real narrative, and had an awful "transration" to boot. I think those rose tinted lenses are a little too thick, folks...[/quote]

I don't see what's wrong from something being over complicated. There's more heart to a game that adds complexity. MGS has proven it works, and Killer 7 has been the only story in all forms of media to make me see how powerful complications (note: heavy politics) can be in a good way.

As for perfect translation, there's no such thing. A game can be good, but a few translation problems can't kill it.

I agree. FFT's story was too complicated for it's own good, but some aspects of the story reminded me a lot of what I studied in my European history class in high school. I'd rather have too much story than a bare bones one in FFTA

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
As for perfect translation, there's no such thing. A game can be good, but a few translation problems can't kill it.[/quote]
That may be true, but when your localization team spells the word "hell" with 3 L's, you've got a problem.

[quote name='DQT']I agree. FFT's story was too complicated for it's own good, but some aspects of the story reminded me a lot of what I studied in my European history class in high school. I'd rather have too much story than a bare bones one in FFTA

That may be true, but when your localization team spells the word "hell" with 3 L's, you've got a problem.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, it could've been worse. At least I knew what was going on instead of having to translate it myself. I can spell my name with nine "R"s if I want and I don't see it a problem (jk)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Believe me, it could've been worse. At least I knew what was going on instead of having to translate it myself. I can spell my name with nine "R"s if I want and I don't see it a problem (jk)[/quote]

That would be soo Rrrrrrrrrelentless! :D

I liked both versions of FFT, although I never did get too far into the Advance version. With the combined amount of hours Ive put into various srpg games, this is a day one purchase for me.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']played FFT[/QUOTE]

Imagine if FFTA had way better story, but way worse gameplay and you'd get the idea. I love both of them, but I sank in far more time into FFA.

[quote name='derder']Too cartoony looking. It's just not up to snuff.[/quote]

Lay off that stuff, man. It'll give you throat cancer. ;)

i really dont think that FFTs story was too complicated. i think people couldnt keep track of it because of all the building up and side quests you could do before advancing the story again. then 5 hours later youre like "ohhhhhhhh, so thats what delita is doing. sure the translation wasnt perfect, but if you just reread or think about it you know what theyre saying. personally i think it has one of the best stories in a game, ever.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I don't see what's wrong from something being over complicated. There's more heart to a game that adds complexity. MGS has proven it works, and Killer 7 has been the only story in all forms of media to make me see how powerful complications (note: heavy politics) can be in a good way.[/QUOTE]

Since you brought up MGS, look at the story in MGS1 compared to the story in MGS2: simply throwing complications at the narrative doesn't make the plot or characters any better -- it's just a lazy way to make the fiction seem "deep." Metal Gear Solid was fairly straightforward, if a little long winded, but it worked. MGS2 was borderline gibberish, and most of the Final Fantasy games have gone straight down that road, too. Look at something like "The Count of Monte Cristo" -- far from complicated even plotwise, but it's a 1,200 page book, and a compelling narrative.

[quote name='trq']Since you brought up MGS, look at the story in MGS1 compared to the story in MGS2: simply throwing complications at the narrative doesn't make the plot or characters any better -- it's just a lazy way to make the fiction seem "deep." Metal Gear Solid was fairly straightforward, if a little long winded, but it worked. MGS2 was borderline gibberish, and most of the Final Fantasy games have gone straight down that road, too. Look at something like "The Count of Monte Cristo" -- far from complicated even plotwise, but it's a 1,200 page book, and a compelling narrative.[/QUOTE]

To be clear, I was disappointed that MGS3 ditched the complexity of MGS2. Yes MGS2 was short, but when I was not playing the game I had something to think and talk about for months. MGS3 was great as well, but it didn't make me think like I wanted to.

And to be honest I hate debates, so I'll just stop here. No winners.

as for final fantasy tactics advance 2, fuck... it better be good now... the main character is making an appearance in FFT on PSP >_<

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/04/05/new-final-fantasy-tactics-character-revealed/

[quote name='trq']Since you brought up MGS, look at the story in MGS1 compared to the story in MGS2: simply throwing complications at the narrative doesn't make the plot or characters any better -- it's just a lazy way to make the fiction seem "deep." Metal Gear Solid was fairly straightforward, if a little long winded, but it worked. MGS2 was borderline gibberish, and most of the Final Fantasy games have gone straight down that road, too. Look at something like "The Count of Monte Cristo" -- far from complicated even plotwise, but it's a 1,200 page book, and a compelling narrative.[/quote]

Is there some law I'm unaware of that says every male gamer has to have read "The Catcher in the Rye," "The Count of Monte Cristo," and "Atlas Shrugged?" :roll:

I really wish we'd get a REAL Final Fantasy Tactics sequal. FFT was an amazing game... great gameplay and fantastic story.

FFTA just didn't do it for me. It was like New FFT (like, New Coke aka Coke 2).

[quote name='Vinny']I really wish we'd get a REAL Final Fantasy Tactics sequal. FFT was an amazing game... great gameplay and fantastic story.

FFTA just didn't do it for me. It was like New FFT (like, New Coke aka Coke 2).[/QUOTE]

well put. you reminded me of Clear Coke or Crystal Pepsi... forgot the name.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']That reminds me. Square-Enix games really need options for easy and hard modes. I like the old style mind-numbing difficulty.[/QUOTE]

exactly. the original FFT had a tough ass game to play, but over the recent few years, square games seem to get too easy.

aslo, I'm pissed about the style. This looks way too much more like Mana than FF >_

I liked the difficulty in FFT. I heard it was actually made easier than the Japanese version. All I want is the "buy whatever abilities you want system with JP" system from FFT.

bread's done
Back