First Splinter Cell: Conviction Review

mindsale

CAGiversary!
Edge Magazine - 8/10

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242110

Usually the first reviews out the gate are 100's and paid off, but this is a magazine that might've broken the review embargo because it's in physical print. I bet Conviction's metascore (Metacritic review aggregate) hovers around 80. I can definitely hold off on buying the game day 1, wait for the clockwork "One month later Ubisoft 50% MSRP price drop."

[quote name='mindsale']I can definitely hold off on buying the game day 1, wait for the clockwork "One month later Ubisoft 50% MSRP price drop."[/QUOTE]

I am sure the final game will be decent. I'm not sure I've played a bad or even sub-par Splinter Cell, though I haven't played them all. However, the quoted statement is my reason for holding off. With Ubisoft these days it's hard to justify buying day one. It must be working for them, though.

True on the Ubisoft thing, but the TRU deal where you can get Bad Company 2 among others for 20 dollars with it helps.

[quote name='mindsale']Edge Magazine - 8/10

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242110

Usually the first reviews out the gate are 100's and paid off, but this is a magazine that might've broken the review embargo because it's in physical print. I bet Conviction's metascore (Metacritic review aggregate) hovers around 80. I can definitely hold off on buying the game day 1, wait for the clockwork "One month later Ubisoft 50% MSRP price drop."[/QUOTE]

That's a decent score considering Edge gave GOW3 an 8/10. What concerns me is the length of the game or rather the lack thereof. I don't mind a short game as long as I'm not paying full price for it.

I didn't realize that EDGE tends to skew lower on game reviews. I just looked up some recent games I'd played on Metacritic (GoW3, FF13, BFBC2, Bioshock 2) and EDGE has the second-lowest review scores on all but one of those titles. If that trend continues, SC:C could be looking at a 90 review aggregate.

I admit, this is the kind of game that I'll pick up no matter the reviews. I've never been horrendously disappointed in a Splinter Cell game, and it's a fairly out-dated and under-supported genre (the 'sneaking around and killing guys' genre). I miss that genre so much that I loved (not a typo) Velvet Assassin.

Wasn't even going to get it day one because of the Ubisoft pricedrop, but Amazon had some deals that have me sitting at $64.99 total on the CE, so I'm sticknig with it.

Second SC:C review - IGN. They gave it a 93/100 - but I think that's the lowest score they're allowed to give out. They said the single player campaign is only five hours long with the multiplayer missions adding another two hours onto that.

bread's done
Back