Flash mp3 player with best sound quality?

swetooth9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
i'm lookin for an mp3 player with these specifications:

1. has to be flash based
2. 8 to 16 GB of space (preferrably 8 to keep the cost of the unit down)
3. less than $90ish on ebay
4. excellent sound quality...i don't care about video, photos, radio, etc. etc. - i don't need that stuff

so...good sound quality flash player under $90 on ebay would be what i'm lookin for

thanks for any help

The Creative Zen is my personal fave (and current player). Highest sound quality, great design, and right in the range you're looking at.

Sound quality is really going to depend on the type of sound file and the headphones/ear buds you use.

[quote name='ighosty']Sound quality is really going to depend on the type of sound file and the headphones/ear buds you use.[/quote]

This. Ipods are rated as decent for sound quality, but throw on an amp to it and some great headphones, and you have a top sound device.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']This. Ipods are rated as decent for sound quality, but throw on an amp to it and some great headphones, and you have a top sound device.[/quote]

what is this "amp?"

[quote name='Dro']2nd Gen Ipod Nanos[/quote]

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Zen, last gen nano, and I like the Sansa Fuze also. Good news is that the zen and fuze both can be expaned with SD cards.[/quote]

why the second gen?

[quote name='ighosty']Sound quality is really going to depend on the type of sound file and the headphones/ear buds you use.[/quote]

The D/A converter is the most imprtant link in this chain, not the file or the earbuds, though all are important.

With that said, I have no idea which one has the highest sound quality. Sorry OP, good luck :D

[quote name='swetooth9']"The D/A converter"

what is this and can i buy it?[/QUOTE]

Digital to analog converter.

It's a component built into the mp3 player that outputs the sound to the headphones, so a player with a higher quality D/A converter will output higher quality sound.

[quote name='swetooth9']why the second gen?[/quote]

My reasoning is that it meets what you want. You can find an 8gb 2nd gen nano on eBay for a good price. However if you don't need iTunes (ie you dont have music downloaded from itunes) then take a good look at the Zen and the Fuze. You can get a 8gb ZEN from Amazon right now for 119.00 a steal IMO http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Port...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1212986608&sr=8-3

Then add in a 4 gb SD card for 12.00: 12gb of space for next to nothing.
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Secur...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1212986786&sr=8-1

Hell 8gb cards are less then 30

Also look at the Fuze
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1212986702&sr=1-1

120.00 is the going price on that, and it uses Micro SD.

For me if in your shoes I would go with the ZEN.

Creative.com has a refurbished 4gb Zen for $64.99 + $5ish shipping. I'm thinking of getting that to go with my 60gb zv:m when I don't want a hard-drive-based and very thick player...

The only thing holding me back a few days is their term of "certified refurbished". They don't give refunds, and it sounds like there might be some cosmetic blemishes.

I haven't tried the Sansa Fuze, but the Sansa e280 is a great choice. I have the smaller capacity version, the e250, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with it. Great sound quality, a lot of nice options (with Rock Box installed), and you'll never have to worry about it not being loud enough.

If you can do with a slightly smaller capacity, you can buy a refurbished e250 from Buy.com like I did for $37.99. Use GCO to bring it down to $27.99:

http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-san...on-the-fly-recording/q/loc/111/205562657.html

Then create another GCO account and pick up a 2GB micro SD card from Buy.com for cheap. They don't have any in stock cheap now, but I got a Kingston 2GB Micro SD from them AGCO for $2.95 shipped around a month and a half ago. Just keep an eye out.

If you can get in on a cheap micro sd card like I did (and I'm sure if you keep checking you can), you'll have 4GB for $30. Or pick up the refurbished e260 for $46.99 AGCO:

http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-san...on-the-fly-recording/q/loc/111/205537110.html

Then keep checking for the micro SD card, and you'll have 6GB for around $50.

My refubished unit came in pristine condition. If it didn't have "Refurbished" printed on the back or didn't come without retail packaging, I never would have guessed it wasn't brand new.

what kind of music do you listen to OP? Because most music you aren't really going to notice the difference in sound quality between players. Unless you listen to music which requires higher fidelity like jazz or classical.

[quote name='swetooth9']why the second gen?[/quote]
I doubt he can get a 8gb 3rd gen for the price he wants.

[quote name='Kerig']Creative.com has a refurbished 4gb Zen for $64.99 + $5ish shipping. I'm thinking of getting that to go with my 60gb zv:m when I don't want a hard-drive-based and very thick player...

The only thing holding me back a few days is their term of "certified refurbished". They don't give refunds, and it sounds like there might be some cosmetic blemishes.[/quote]

Do not worry about refurb from Creative. My 8gb Zen was a $90 refurb during their tax rebate sale a few weeks back. They resurfaced everything; no scratches and the sound quality is awesome.

thanks for the responses guys...i'm kind of tight on $$$ nowadays (gas), but i think i'll go with the sandisk sansa 8gb...i tried my cousin's (he has a 4gb) and it's pretty decent...the interface is kind of different, but i can live with that for the price....sound quality was pretty good with the stock earbuds, but i'll use my better ones and see how i like them

some guy on craigslist is selling brand new sansa 8gb for $75 so i think i'll take him up on that offer

thanks again guys

Don't. I do NOT recommend a Sansa. The sound is meager, the layout is annoying, and its just not too good. I SERIOUSLY recommend a Samsung T10. Best MP3 I've ever had (between old Zune, ipod mini, ipod nano (old), Sandisk sansa, and ipod touch). Yeah, I've used/ had a lot of mp3 players.

Funny you say that cause sasnsa has changed!

The Fuze and clip both out the Samsung T10( Had One)

Now the best is Sony Walkman, but thats a pretty penny.

Got with the sansa Fuze.

bread's done
Back