FleaBay raising insertion fees (effective 1/30)

toper

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Just an FYI that ebay is raising insertion fees to 40cents (up from 35cents). :(

May not sound like much, but I still don't like it.

[quote name='toper']Just an FYI that ebay is raising insertion fees to 40cents (up from 35cents). :(

May not sound like much, but I still don't like it.[/quote]

Insertion fees for what? I just listed some stuff today and insertion fees for auctions were only 20 cents.

Is 35 cents a buy it now auction?

And they wonder why shipping is so high in a lot of auctions.

Before my only concerns were the high ebay final value fees and paypal fee,now the have have to tack on additional inserting fee.I'm getting tired of ebay inflation prices.I wonder what happen to google auctions?O well,customers will definatly suffer,sellers have to charge extra nickel or more to cover shipping cost.

Here is the break down... it's not only insertion fees, but also final value fees.

Core Listing Fees: Auction-Style & Fixed Price*

Fee Type ----- Item Price ----------------- ----- ----- New Fee ----- Current Fee

Insertion Fee----- Starting Price: $1.00 - $9.99 ----- $0.40 ----- $0.35

Final Value Fee----- Selling Price: $25.01 - $1000.00----- 3.25% ------ 3%

It's both auction style AND fixed price.

Here is a message from Bill Cobb:

Let me say that, while we believe these changes are modest, we consider any changes that may impact our sellers with great care. These adjustments are the result of careful analysis and we believe they're the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong

Yea right! GTFO!!!

[quote name='YoshiFan1']More like, we know you are stuck using our service whether you like it or not so we can raise prices all we want[/quote]

exactly. Those fees are getting to be ridiculous, though the insertion fees don't affect me since I start at .99.

[quote name='schuerm26']exactly. Those fees are getting to be ridiculous, though the insertion fees don't affect me since I start at .99.[/QUOTE]

Those final value fee hikes hurt everyone though... 3% to 3.25% may be small but it will definitely add up.

Man, I was about to get really pissed, but now that Bill Cobb explained its the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong, I will postpone any new auctions until the increase takes effect

Dave

Great final value fee as well,this is going to hurt my wallet on those eb/gamestop buy 2 get 1 free sale.

This is getting insane!I might consider other alternatives like amazon or step up my own website with google or yahoo if this trend continues

[quote name='MightySlacker']Man, I was about to get really pissed, but now that Bill Cobb explained its the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong, I will postpone any new auctions until the increase takes effect

Dave[/quote]

QFT :lol:

I've been on eBay for almost 6 years and have seen many fee increases. There's still no other place where you can buy and sell stuff like this with a worldwide market.

[quote name='bill cobb']
Let me say that, while we believe these changes are modest, we consider any changes that may impact our sellers with great care. These adjustments are the result of careful analysis and we believe they're the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong[/quote]

ebay stock value from yahoo fiance
FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS

Fiscal Year
Fiscal Year Ends: 31-Dec
Most Recent Quarter (mrq): 30-Sep-06

Profitability
Profit Margin (ttm): 18.97%
Operating Margin (ttm): 24.28%
Management Effectiveness
Return on Assets (ttm): 8.60%
Return on Equity (ttm): 11.07%

Income Statement
Revenue (ttm): 5.58B
Revenue Per Share (ttm): 3.976
Qtrly Revenue Growth (yoy): 31.00%
Gross Profit (ttm): 3.73B

EBITDA (ttm): 2.11B
Net Income Avl to Common (ttm): 1.06B
Diluted EPS (ttm): 0.74
Qtrly Earnings Growth (yoy): 10.20%

Balance Sheet
Total Cash (mrq): 3.22B
Total Cash Per Share (mrq): 2.313
Total Debt (mrq): N/A
Total Debt/Equity (mrq): N/A
Current Ratio (mrq): 2.15
Book Value Per Share (mrq): 7.966
Cash Flow Statement
Operating Cash Flow (ttm): 2.15B
Levered Free Cash Flow (ttm): 1.32B

can't argue againt bill coob he got a very strong argument

[quote name='fatbeer']Great final value fee as well,this is going to hurt my wallet on those eb/gamestop buy 2 get 1 free sale.

This is getting insane!I might consider other alternatives like amazon or step up my own website with google or yahoo if this trend continues[/QUOTE]

Amazon is worse with fees. 15% comission plus a $0.99 transaction fee and I don't think you can set your own shipping prices.

If you set up your own website, how do you get traffic to the site?

I wish there was another alternative but I don't think there really is one

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Amazon is worse with fees. 15% comission plus a $0.99 transaction fee and I don't think you can set your own shipping prices.

If you set up your own website, how do you get traffic to the site?

I wish there was another alternative but I don't think there really is one[/QUOTE]

dang,i didn't know amazon was that bad

i am just really fed up with those ebay cost.look like i have to stick with ebay

Since you guys loved Bill Cobb's first message, here is the beginning to the email as well:

An important part of any business strategy is the regular evaluation of pricing structure. From time to time, we make pricing changes to correct unhealthy dynamics in the eBay marketplace, as was the case last July. Typically, however, we make changes on an annual basis at the beginning of the year.

So, wow, they are raising fees to correct unhealthy dynamics! And then again they make their annual changes!

I went to end this on a positive note from Mr Cobb:

But what inspires me every morning--and what I hope inspires you, too--is that the opportunities for eBay and its Community to succeed by celebrating what makes us unique have never been greater.

Apparently getting raped up the ass by fees makes us unique.

[quote name='nasum']I've been on eBay for almost 6 years and have seen many fee increases. There's still no other place where you can buy and sell stuff like this with a worldwide market.[/QUOTE]

The fee increases suck, but I'm with you. There really is no other good option where you will make as much as on eBay. At least it's a pretty small increase this time around. On a $40 fixed price listing, this increase will translate into about 4 cents more in fees if my math is right (.25% of $15) Fixed prices in the sub $10 range will have a 5 cent increase in fees. (Although an increase in insertion fees really suck because you pay that whether the thing sells or not.)

It will be really interesting to see what moves eBay makes if and when Google launches a competing service. I'd guess some free listing days and maybe even some free FVF days. In some ways it might hurt sellers as currently you can list on eBay and get a very large % of all online buyers that are looking to buy from other normal folks.

Another thing that pisses me off with eBay's fee policy is that you don't get your insertion fee credited back on a relist if you change the format from fixed price to auction style. I'd probably do more listing stuff at a fixed price and flipping back a portion of the stuff that doesn't sell as a straight $0.01 auction if they did.

hey fatbeer, see if'n you can't find a PnL on eBay... Paints a rather different story than revenue, especially if you're an accountant.

I really hope someone can create a comparable auction to give ebay some competition. I know in some other market ebay is not the most popular auction site.

[quote name='nasum']hey fatbeer, see if'n you can't find a PnL on eBay... Paints a rather different story than revenue, especially if you're an accountant.[/QUOTE]

Profit and loss?i'm not very good at accounting,but here goes on edger online.It show the last ebay quarterly reports,it seem like they are doing pretty good.too bad,they waste so much money on needless advertisement,a large majority went toward advertising against China,Alibaba.

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/fetchFilingFrameset.aspx?dcn=0000950134-06-019858&Type=HTML

I can imagine some sellers will calculate BIN and add the increased listing fee + increased FVF into the shipping charge, as usual.

It'll be even more commonplace to see a PS2 game in case ship for $8 via first class.

[quote name='Caliburn']I can imagine some sellers will calculate BIN and add the increased listing fee + increased FVF into the shipping charge, as usual.

It'll be even more commonplace to see a PS2 game in case ship for $8 via first class.[/quote]

That's the way it works in all businesses though. If there is some sort of increase in cost, it is passed on to the end consumer in price. Really the only way to do that on Ebay is through shipping fees.

Then shipping costs will go up again with the USPS raises rates this year. I didn't raise my shipping costs the last time their was a postage increase but I think this time I am going to raise the shipping cost around $0.50 (according to a proposed rate increase table, not including the cost of DC, a 6 oz 1st class item will go from $1.59 to $2.00!).

[quote name='Caliburn']I can imagine some sellers will calculate BIN and add the increased listing fee + increased FVF into the shipping charge, as usual.

It'll be even more commonplace to see a PS2 game in case ship for $8 via first class.[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly what I willdo. My $3.50 shipping is now $3.80.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Then shipping costs will go up again with the USPS raises rates this year. I didn't raise my shipping costs the last time their was a postage increase but I think this time I am going to raise the shipping cost around $0.50 (according to a proposed rate increase table, not including the cost of DC, a 6 oz 1st class item will go from $1.59 to $2.00!).[/QUOTE]

link to this?

Dave

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Then shipping costs will go up again with the USPS raises rates this year. I didn't raise my shipping costs the last time their was a postage increase but I think this time I am going to raise the shipping cost around $0.50 (according to a proposed rate increase table, not including the cost of DC, a 6 oz 1st class item will go from $1.59 to $2.00!).[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?

That sucks if it's true... like what MS said, do you have any sort of link or something?

IIRC the plan is to raise 1st class stamps by 3 cents, electronic DC by 4 cents, probably some other increases. I don't think it's been given the official go ahead yet.

My shipping fees will just go up to cover this then, i try to keep it as low as possible (i get all my materials for free except for packing tape) but its just not possible anymore to keep shipping prices low. I also have to cover myself incase the postal service increases their rates surprisingly on me, i have had that happen a few times. Even if you have to increase the shipping fee by like 50 cents to 1$ its not something the buyer is going to notice that much as most auctions already have extremely inflated shipping prices on ebay.

Probably still wise to sell on ebay, as there really is no website that gets as much traffic and views as ebay does, and if you were to sell elsewhere you would be losing way more money than the small fee increases.

What pisses me off about ebay is that when a 0 feedback bidder bids on your item just for fun and does not pay you and then you do not get your insertion fee back, if a buyer does not pay you should get BOTH your final value and insertion fee back instead of getting just the final value fee back. I cannot count the number of times i have had a 0 feedback bidder axe their account on me right after bidding on an auction of mine, and there is nothing i can do about this because there is no option to block 0 feedback bidders from bidding on your auctions. I wouldnt want to block 0 feedback bidders either because you have to start somewhere, and i have had some very nice and very prompt 0 feedback bidders, however ebay should give sellers some compensation for 0 feedback members that are obviously just on ebay to cause trouble.

Just got this email from him....I'm going to auction some of my games I've been wanting to auction before the price goes up

[quote name='YoshiFan1']http://www.lunewsviews.com/postalrates.htm

http://www.usps.com/ratecase/_pdf/FCM_Single-Piece_Presorted.pdf[/QUOTE]

Damn that is a pretty big increase! I'm guessing anything thick enough to get DC on for 1st class (3/4") will be considered a parcel and charged the higher rate.

Most of what I do is 6 ounces, so that will be about $0.45 more between the increase in postage and electronic DC. Pretty big jump.

I'll definitely have to raise my S&H when this goes through.

Also see some stuff about dim-weight pricing. (Meaning charging more for large packages that don't weight much.) Hopefully that will only be an issue for the extreme cases of this, like people that ship boxes full of void-fill bags.

i am selling off my collection anyways so i dont really care. Well, i will still sell tv season sets i guess, but just use amazon. Or i will charge 4 bucks instead of 3 for media mail shipping.

Well, it's not like we have a real alternative to eBay so they know they've got us cornered. I just wish these increased fees brought with them some improved features but that's not the case.

I wish Google would make a eBay competitor... they're the only ones who stand a chance.

I was re-listing a few unsold items today and was surprised to see it say $0.40 instead of $0.35. I forgot why then remembered this thread.

Yeah the prices would never be as good as what you can get on Ebay, and here's an example why

Say you pick up a game from a CC clearance for $8.96. The MSRP on the game is $29.99. You play it for an hour, hate the game and decide to sell it. On EBay you could easily get back what you paid for it and maybe a couple of dollars more even though it's used. On an auction here, most people wouldn't be willing to pay much for it knowing you picked it up for $8.96 where on EBay most people would think you paid a lot more than what you are selling it for.

Thinking of getting my rectum torn leaves me feeling motivated every morning!

[quote name='Roufuss']
Apparently getting raped up the ass by fees makes us unique.[/quote]

bread's done
Back