Flip Successes and Flip Flops

[quote name='Josef']I would hardly consider Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis a flip when you buy it at Gamestop's inflated used price of $39.99.[/quote]

LOL :lol:

Walking into this thread, having been on CAG for awhile now, is akin to finally discovering the dark alley that every City's downtown seems to have ... having read it from the beginning, it's also interesting to note the slow progression of open and welcoming flipper society into shady underground members-only syndicates ... I'm not here to judge, I merely find it fascinating.

Guess I'll wander on back to the game deals and Lego forum now, as I'm sure I'm hardly enough of an eBay or Amazon seller to be indoctrinated into either clan of La CAGa Nostra.

[quote name='etcrane']Walking into this thread, having been on CAG for awhile now, is akin to finally discovering the dark alley that every City's downtown seems to have ... having read it from the beginning, it's also interesting to note the slow progression of open and welcoming flipper society into shady underground members-only syndicates ... I'm not here to judge, I merely find it fascinating.
[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly

The reasoning for the groups is to keep the lurkers from clearing out flips. If you post and contribute to CAG you can get into one of the groups...no shady hazing or restrictions that I know of. Again, if you contribute to CAG in some way you can be in one of the groups (pm me).

I've got two things that I've been holding onto for a while with the intention of flipping.

1. A brand new PS ONE w/ LCD screen combo. Box is still sealed. I also have a brand new ps one controller and memory card. Bought it all at compusa for around $30 when they were going out of business.

2. Struck gold a while back at goodwill and found a myriad 6-in-1 w/ manual for NES for $3. This will be an epic flip whenver I decide get rid of it.

I know a couple places that have Street Fighter Anniversary Collection for XBOX. Complete for $15. Is this worth flipping or has it devalued since the release of SF4?

[quote name='jlew']
2. Struck gold a while back at goodwill and found a myriad 6-in-1 w/ manual for NES for $3. This will be an epic flip whenver I decide get rid of it.

I know a couple places that have Street Fighter Anniversary Collection for XBOX. Complete for $15. Is this worth flipping or has it devalued since the release of SF4?[/quote]

wow never heard of that myriad 6-in-1 w/ manual but after looking it up nice find!
US $5,355.00 an auction when for on ebay in january but it was sealed in the box so i can only guess the opened one will be worth at least 1k

Also the SF:Collection for the xbox goes for like 20-35 on ebay
After shipping ebay and paypal fees's is like not worth it to do just one but if you do more than one i guess its worth it.

[quote name='s2k']wow never heard of that myriad 6-in-1 w/ manual but after looking it up nice find!
US $5,355.00 an auction when for on ebay in january but it was sealed in the box so i can only guess the opened one will be worth at least 1k

[/QUOTE]

Thanks! It was a once in a lifetime find. But finding it renewed my faith in bargain bin hunting. There actually are valuable games still out there in the wild.

Recently another auction went up for a cart only copy of the game. Seller had a reserve and it was bid up to around $800. Reserve wasn't met though.

My wife wants to beat the twin galaxies high score for Adam & Eve on the myriad. Since so few people own the game, the high score is easily attainable. :)

[quote name='Zing']Because the system will melt or something?[/quote] I'd be scared that it would somehow melt or something and kill my $1000 thing.
I am a collector that keeps rare games if they are worth $50-100, but for $1000 that is going straight to ebay.

Yeah, I find it funny too. There has been quite the progression to hiding our info from the direct opposite, which was open and sharing. I support it, don't get me wrong, but it is still funny.

Also, rofl at 5 dollar invites. I picked up on the sarcasm, but I wouldn't doubt the plausibility on selling invites. That would explain why the other group says NO MORE INVITES but still adds members.

Does anyone think Ultimate Shooting Collection for wii is one to watch? Its still $20 new but I see a few completed listings that have sold over retail. (not much though $25-$35)

Yeah the progression has been interesting. I'm sure there's plenty of lurkers who have never posted just gleaning flips all the time. So if keeping private here actually stops areas from being cleared out or Ebay being flooded I can understand the need. It's no fun if that happens. So has keeping private had a noticeable effect so far?

Are they really selling invites? I'm unsure what the criteria to join a group even is. I'm assuming you have to be in a location where your not going to clear out someone else's territory and actively look for flips to share with the group.

I recently had a great flip potential with a sealed black label game I noticed in the store the other day. But going back today to buy it I noticed there's two rips in the bottom of the wrapping, I'm pretty sure that'd kill it for sealed game collectors. So I gave up on the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='irishsoccermbw']The reasoning for the groups is to keep the lurkers from clearing out flips. If you post and contribute to CAG you can get into one of the groups...no shady hazing or restrictions that I know of. Again, if you contribute to CAG in some way you can be in one of the groups (pm me).[/quote]

Yes because lurkers on CAG are the reason things get cleared out. I have 100 feedback trades. How come I can't get a response to pm's?

[quote name='s2k']wow never heard of that myriad 6-in-1 w/ manual but after looking it up nice find!

Also the SF:Collection for the xbox goes for like 20-35 on ebay
After shipping ebay and paypal fees's is like not worth it to do just one but if you do more than one i guess its worth it.[/quote]

You can sell it very very quickly for $27.99 and $4 shipping on ebay.

Would you loan someone $15 to get $25 back in 5 days time (after certain fees of course)? If so, then go buy them all.

[quote name='dragoon99']Yeah the progression is interesting. I'm sure there's plenty of lurkers who have never posted just gleaning deals all the time.

[/quote]

Who cares though? If anyone on this site is thinking they have some inside knowledge that nobody else knows about, they are kidding themselves.

TONS of people have the knowledge. Half the s--t these people think is inside knowledge amounts to the luck of looking at the right place at the right time.

[quote name='schuerm26']Who cares though? If anyone on this site is thinking they have some inside knowledge that nobody else knows about, they are kidding themselves.

TONS of people have the knowledge. Half the s--t these people think is inside knowledge amounts to the luck of looking at the right place at the right time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I understand why they wouldn't want to make it easier for other people. However I agree, they're treating the information like its trade secrets that no one knows about, but if people just took the time to look the info is there for the taking.

Never really got into flipping because iam only 15 so i can only flip to online sources, so i will share this with you:

For all cags that bought gh aerosmith for 9.99 and got the xplorer guiater for $.1 you can trade it in for 20 bucks at estarland however shipping my kill this flip, anyway thought i would share

http://www.estarland.com/index.asp

[quote name='LilPaintballer']Never really got into flipping because iam only 15 so i can only flip to online sources, so i will share this with you:

For all cags that bought gh aerosmith for 9.99 and got the xplorer guiater for $.1 you can trade it in for 20 bucks at estarland however shipping my kill this flip, anyway thought i would share

http://www.estarland.com/index.asp[/quote] That's a pretty good flip, but when estarland gets multiple copies traded in they lower the TIV.
If you trade in 5 shipping is free, they'll print out a label for you.

Anyone know some decent flips for Amazon trade-in? The only one I can think of is Beautiful Katamari, since it's $4.99 at K-Mart and trades for $11.50 on Amazon.

[quote name='hopeunknown']Anyone know some decent flips for Amazon trade-in? The only one I can think of is Beautiful Katamari, since it's $4.99 at K-Mart and trades for $11.50 on Amazon.[/quote]You could sell that for way more than $11.50 on ebay.

Beautiful Katamari would be better off as a sell, IMO. amazon flip isnt a good TIV, although you do get that 20$ towards a next game.

To everyone that doesn't understand the reasoning behind keeping flips off this board: we don't want to make flipping easy for people who make no effort to research flips for themselves. If you guys know the flips without being in a group, that's fantastic, you're not the ones we are keeping the flips from as you're obviously spending time doing research. We don't act like the flips are a big secret and we know that other people are smart enough to research.

Thing is, for every person willing to research flips there is twenty people waiting to take them without doing any research on their own. Why should anyone help those people?

[quote name='dragoon99']I recently had a great flip potential with a sealed black label game I noticed in the store the other day. But going back today to buy it I noticed there's two rips in the bottom of the wrapping, I'm pretty sure that'd kill it for sealed game collectors. So I gave up on the idea.[/quote]

I hate when things like that happen. A couple of times I've found some decent sealed cartridge games, but the boxes have been crushed and the seals a little torn, so I didn't bother.

[quote name='Doomstink']Thing is, for every person willing to research flips there is twenty people waiting to take them without doing any research on their own. Why should anyone help those people?[/QUOTE]

Just a thought, but if you don't research a flip and stumble upon a good deal. Do you wait to research it or just grab it? Yeah, i know you don't go blabbing to every other person that you just scored this opportunity. But really what's the difference, I mean I'm not in the group and all, but are all the deals you are flipping your own research, probably not.

[quote name='Doomstink']To everyone that doesn't understand the reasoning behind keeping flips off this board: we don't want to make flipping easy for people who make no effort to research flips for themselves. If you guys know the flips without being in a group, that's fantastic, you're not the ones we are keeping the flips from as you're obviously spending time doing research. We don't act like the flips are a big secret and we know that other people are smart enough to research.

Thing is, for every person willing to research flips there is twenty people waiting to take them without doing any research on their own. Why should anyone help those people?[/QUOTE]

Actually, depending on the content you post on this board, the lurkers can actually help you drive the value up before a market is flooded depending on what you post. Let's imagine for a second that the Duck hunting game was never actually valuable or rare but that there was a certain level of interest simply because it was a wii title and people buy things for Wii on eBay. By convincing lurkers on the board that it was a hot title, you had a window where both lurkers and buyers were looking for copies they could either buy to flip or buy to own. If you're early enough on the wave, you should be able to profit off both groups, granted more likely from volume over individual price. Not to imply you guys would be manufacturing false demand or anything like that ... ;-)

Note to self- Look for the Duck Hunting game for the Wii....

Edit: I was being sarcastic :)

[quote name='Saintevil']Note to self- Look for the Duck Hunting game for the Wii....[/quote]

You might want to edit that note to add that the game is being reprinted soon and the value will be plummeting.

[quote name='Doomstink']
Thing is, for every person willing to research flips there is twenty people waiting to take them without doing any research on their own. Why should anyone help those people?[/QUOTE]
I agree with you, but it's also in direct contrast with the ideals of CAG with regards to deals being posted. There's a lot of contributors to the site, and I wanted to jump on the Target clearance thread when the position opened up because I wanted to help because of all of the great deals that came from this site. But many people merely post their thanks and move on. Are those people less entitled to seeing the deals in the forums?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']You might want to edit that note to add that the game is being reprinted soon and the value will be plummeting.[/QUOTE]

Why did you tell them? I wanted to see the newbies flop, then get discouraged and never try to flip again. Then kill themselves.

[quote name='RandyTsai']Why did you tell them? I wanted to see the newbies flop, then get discouraged and never try to flip again. Then kill themselves.[/QUOTE]

And the godfather himself makes an appearance ;-)

Well, if anyone looks on Amazon they see the reprinting is coming soon. I'm trying to dump my last one, but it's tough. It's kind of hillarious to see the market of Duck Hunting plummet so badly.

[quote name='Zing']The US is one of the largest welfare states in the world. Why not extend that idea to video game deals?[/quote]

I skimmed through the page and read this statement as

"The US has one of the largest living statue population in the world."

I must be tired.

[quote name='Cravin Taco Bell']Just a thought, but if you don't research a flip and stumble upon a good deal. Do you wait to research it or just grab it? Yeah, i know you don't go blabbing to every other person that you just scored this opportunity. But really what's the difference, I mean I'm not in the group and all, but are all the deals you are flipping your own research, probably not.[/quote]

Finding a solid flip and stumbling on a deal are two different things. Something you found at a garage sale that is rare that you turn around and sell for 10x the purchase price is a flip, but its not the kind of flips we post. Through completed listings on eBay we research what the current prices on games are and then cross reference those with the going rates at stores like Gamestop and Gamecrazy. Something you stumble upon is once in a lifetime whereas these Gamestop flips are repeatable so long as the stock in your area is plentiful (which will not be the case if everyone learns about them). For example, I've been flipping Network Adapters since July when I found out they were worth a lot while researching prices on eBay. By December I had sold around 40 network adapters, the area was literally overflowing with them -- then this thread came along and someone posted that NAs were a good flip. I haven't seen a single one since.

So no, we don't just stumble upon flips, we research them thoroughly using completed listings on eBay. It's something anybody can do, but it is time consuming, so why should we hand out that info to other people who aren't willing to put forth the same amount of effort?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I agree with you, but it's also in direct contrast with the ideals of CAG with regards to deals being posted. There's a lot of contributors to the site, and I wanted to jump on the Target clearance thread when the position opened up because I wanted to help because of all of the great deals that came from this site. But many people merely post their thanks and move on. Are those people less entitled to seeing the deals in the forums?[/quote]

There's a difference between a deal and a flip. Flipping games is already going entirely against the ideals of CAG (buy cheap sell high = rip off other gamers). Sharing deals is fundamentally different than sharing flips. Deals are to conserve money, flips are to make profit. It's a greed thing, I'm not ashamed to admit that. The less open we are about flips the more profit there is for us. It's all about the bottom line.

I do make sure to share deals when I come across them. I have no problem with that. But I like I said, flips are a whole 'nother beast.

Flipping games is already going entirely against the ideals of CAG (buy cheap sell high = rip off other gamers). Sharing deals is fundamentally different than sharing flips. Deals are to conserve money, flips are to make profit. It's a greed thing, I'm not ashamed to admit that. The less open we are about flips the more profit there is for us. It's all about the bottom line.

It's more of a "don't brag" policy than a cag ideal. most of the people I've talked to on this site have flipped or actively flip. I just think a few people get salty and vocal when others brag about exploiting a deal. When I started the first flip group, a lot of randoms came out of the woodwork, then came in this thread and bitched about it loudly when I wouldn't let them in and posted the very first list when I screwed up on the first day...so they were trying to ruin the thing they wanted to be a part of, just 'cause they were salty. Case in point. :lol:

on topic, great success with a bundle of retro games. The two best games in it were MMX3 (snes) and a copy of Ehrgeiz that was still sealed on top and never had the disc leave the case, though it didn't have cellophane. Along with that I got a ton of retro N64, PS1, and SNES titles that all looked like they were worth about $20 a piece. The games aren't selling though! Luckily I'm already in profit for the whole transaction after selling Ehrgeiz and MMX3, but I'm surprised that a lot of these retro games are sitting around.

This thread is great. It's getting hard to tell the sarcasm/bs posts apart from the ones dealing with serious flip group business. :lol:

My best recent flip was a few "new old stock" copies of Zelda: Majora's Mask that I found at a Wal-Mart for $4.00 each. They went for around $50-70 on eBay. I've had several others, but I'm saving those for my private all-star flippers group. :whistle2:$

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I'm really not into flipping anyway but it's unbelievable how obnoxiously elitist about it you guys are.[/QUOTE]

Its to keep this from turning into SD or FW. You have to have a group of individuals that will not undercut prices just to sell items, which in turn, lowers the value of said item because everybody and their mother is selling the flip. We have enough idiots on the other sites that will buy something and sell it for $5 more than they paid, which drives the cost down for all other sellers. I dont understand why someone would be willing to break even or make a dollar on an item after fees and shipping. Let the buyers get in a bidding war, not the sellers have a pricing war. Keep rarer items at a certain price (adjusting just a little bit if need be) and eventually they will sell.

We have to compete with those sellers from the other sites, we dont need to add more like that from here.

I understand why you think it's ok to do it your way, I just don't agree with it. I already know I can't change your mind and you definitely can't change mine. I just think if you're going to have private groups you shouldn't talk about it publicly. And if you MUST talk about them publicly at least don't be so snobbish about it.

seriously, if you guys were in a group i'm sure you would be just as elitist as we are. you just bitch because you aren't in one.

Way to completely miss my point. And I already said I'm not interested and I wouldn't want to be in a private group anyway. If you choose not to believe me that's your problem.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Way to completely miss my point. And I already said I'm not interested and I wouldn't want to be in a private group anyway. If you choose not to believe me that's your problem.[/quote]ok, then why do you give a shit if we are in a private group? it doesn't affect you at all...

Why dont people make another Private group? There can easily be more than one group in relation to flipping games... just got to keep out lurkers...

bread's done
Back