Folding@Home in 1.6

[quote name='dallow']You mean you've never heard of these folding programs for PCs?
It's kinda interesting to see it on a console but ehhh. I don't want to leave my console on.

Maybe one night a week. Eh... maybe not.[/QUOTE]

No, Ive never heard of it before. I have no intention of leaving a Sony branded anything running by itself, especially a $600 console. If the PS3 is so mighty and can cure cancer and land people on the moon, Sony should just donate some of the overstock most stores have to this cause.

[quote name='gizmogc']No, Ive never heard of it before. I have no intention of leaving a Sony branded anything running by itself, especially a $600 console. If the PS3 is so mighty and can cure cancer and land people on the moon, Sony should just donate some of the overstock most stores have to this cause.[/quote]

Hmm, the tax-write off would be delicious!

[quote name='gizmogc']Oh...So I let my PS3 running and it will someone go through all the mathmatical equations to eventually cure cancer? Pass, Sony, Pass.

I can't wait for the sticker on all PS3s that read "Buy a PS3 and YOU can help CURE CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". I guess I don't even get a wristband.[/QUOTE]

You probably won't feel like you are helping, but it's still a nice feature. I think it's much better to run the PC version, as my PC stays on a lot longer, and most of the time I am just browsing the internet.

It's great that Sony is including this in the XMB too, to spread awareness. If it weren't for this, you probably wouldn't have found out what Protein Folding is, so it's already working.

The lack of logic here is amazing. Really displays the intelligence of our boardmembers. How exactly does one go from mapping proteins to a guaranteed cure for cancer? Classic.

[quote name='dpatel']You probably won't feel like you are helping, but it's still a nice feature. I think it's much better to run the PC version, as my PC stays on a lot longer, and most of the time I am just browsing the internet.

It's great that Sony is including this in the XMB too, to spread awareness. If it weren't for this, you probably wouldn't have found out what Protein Folding is, so it's already working.[/QUOTE]

Still, this is such a worthless feature that most people will download, wonder WTF it is, and delete it. Whatever Sony. Forget about fixing those HDMI problems, we need a lesson in 'Protein Folding'.

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']The lack of logic here is amazing. Really displays the intelligence of our boardmembers. How exactly does one go from mapping proteins to a guaranteed cure for cancer? Classic.[/QUOTE]
I hope you die of AIDS.

[quote name='gizmogc']Still, this is such a worthless feature that most people will download, wonder WTF it is, and delete it. Whatever Sony. Forget about fixing those HDMI problems, we need a lesson in 'Protein Folding'.[/QUOTE]
Same goes for you.

At least then I can know that contributing to this program would in no way, shape, or form benefit you.

[quote name='gizmogc']Still, this is such a worthless feature that most people will download, wonder WTF it is, and delete it. Whatever Sony. Forget about fixing those HDMI problems, we need a lesson in 'Protein Folding'.[/QUOTE]

It's not worthless. Hopefully they include something that explain what exactly it is, because spreading awareness of this is definitely good.

I agree they should be focusing on other issues, but since they are giving us something that could potentially be beneficial to science and spread the awareness to potentially millions of consumers, I'd say I could forgive them this once. They do still need to address plenty of issues with the console, but you have to admit this is a great move on Sony's part. I really hope people don't just brush it off.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I hope you die of AIDS.

Same goes for you.

At least then I can know that contributing to this program would in no way, shape, or form benefit you.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Let me Smoke my cigarettes and die in peace, thank you very much.

I can only imagine the PR reports they are typing up right now....

[quote name='gizmogc']I can only imagine the PR reports they are typing up right now....[/QUOTE]

yes, god forbid they do something to help humanity and try to take credit for it. How dare they.

I'm sure this is a response to all the negative media they have been receiving, but I really don't care as to the motives behind it. All companies do this. Remember MS 'donating' all the 360s to under privelaged children? Yep, that was for good PR. I guess, since it was done solely for PR, the positive benefits from these actions are completely negated, making them evil.

You guys are weak.

Folding = narrowing down which protein folding mistakes in transcription (or is it translation...or does it have nothing to do with dna, i dunno) = higher possibility of isolating disease-inducing misfolds. your PS3 simulates these folds. Apparently there's an almost infinite amount of possibilities, so it takes lots of super computers and volunteers to figure them out.

I don't think people wrote this for their health without knowing what it was doing, so questioning its worth is a little retarded. maybe more than a little. You don't even have to do anything, it does it for you. I don't see how curing diseases is wrong, but the manipulation of logic in this thread is mind blowing. If this isn't the epitome of apathy, I don't know what is.

I will say this-- if they're smart, they'll let you run it while watching DVDs.

[quote name='Apossum']I will say this-- if they're smart, they'll let you run it while watching DVDs.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I probably won't be using this on my PS3. So far, its much more convenient on my PC, but I would make use of it if we were able to run it while watching DVDs. They should also allow it to run if we were playing BC games and maybe some low resource PSN games. I'm not sure how much of the PS3 the latter two use up.

[quote name='gizmogc']Still, this is such a worthless feature that most people will download, wonder WTF it is, and delete it. Whatever Sony. Forget about fixing those HDMI problems, we need a lesson in 'Protein Folding'.[/quote]
Sure, because the exact same people worked on both of those things.

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf'] and i don't get a damn dime if i actually run the program. doesn't have to be cold hard cash, but what about credit at the playstation store or even a free game for every X amount of hours you contribute. not to mention, they expect me to put wear and tear on my ps3 and waste electricity just to run a program. then, let's assume hypothetically, some good comes of it. they're able to find a cure for some odd disease or create some sort of drug. does sony and stanford get paid for that also? well, fuck that. i'm not a tool. y shit like this happens all the time at my job and i'm not gonna get worked.[/quote]
I support you all the way, Stanford nor Sony is paying my electricity bill. Also, isn't Stanford one of the richest schools in the country?

"The Stanford Management Company (SMC) oversees approximately $18.0 billion of endowment and trust assets, expendable funds, and commercial real estate investments." --> http://www.stanfordmanage.org/

"Stanford University's endowment jumped two places last year to become the third largest in the nation, a report said on Monday."
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2006/01/23/daily15.html

18$ Billion in the bank and yet Stanford needs my ps3 to run their computer calculations???? Please...:booty:

Just an FYI for the really cheap CAGs:

Keep in mind the power consumption of processor and GPU intensive applications. Most people don't realize it but Folding@Home, SETI, and other distributed computing projects put a substantial load on PCs (and, in this case, the PS3) by their very computation intensive nature. This translates into tangibly higher power bills -- especially if you donate a lot of your "idle" time to the project. Even without a spinning disc, the consumption can still be a few hundred watts for a high-end PC, and I assume similar numbers for the PS3. Not a big deal for students living in on-campus housing and not paying the power bills, but it could translate to several dozen to several hundred dollars over the course of a year (if you donate all your idle time) depending on where you live.

Maybe if you replace all your incandescents with CF light bulbs you can offset the cost, but you have to have a lot of lights in your house (and you have to use them a lot).

(I like distributed computing projects and wholeheartedly support them, but this is one tangible consideration to keep in mind. It usually gets swept under the rug.)

I'm posting this from my PS3 using my bluetooth keyboard -- were those usable before this update? I'll have to say that the browser still sucks, although it's marginally better than the Wii. I did finally manage to find a setting where the text was readable, but the browser is quite slow and hard to use. I tried out background downloading and it seems to work as advertised, although the download speed seemed to slow way down when I was doing something like playing a game or a Blu-ray movie. Better than just staring at the progress bar, though.

[quote name='icruise']I'm posting this from my PS3 using my bluetooth keyboard -- were those usable before this update? I'll have to say that the browser still sucks, although it's marginally better than the Wii. I did finally manage to find a setting where the text was readable, but the browser is quite slow and hard to use. I tried out background downloading and it seems to work as advertised, although the download speed seemed to slow way down when I was doing something like playing a game or a Blu-ray movie. Better than just staring at the progress bar, though.[/quote]

Haha, I think you posted in the wrong thread!

51355 is the team number people from the PS3 boards are using. Hit triangle then go to "Identity". There you can find an option to change your "donor name" and "team" where you use the number to join.

Not 100% sure about what joining a team does. I think you somehow help each other solve the same item or something.

[quote name='oasisboy']I support you all the way, Stanford nor Sony is paying my electricity bill. Also, isn't Stanford one of the richest schools in the country?

"The Stanford Management Company (SMC) oversees approximately $18.0 billion of endowment and trust assets, expendable funds, and commercial real estate investments." --> http://www.stanfordmanage.org/

"Stanford University's endowment jumped two places last year to become the third largest in the nation, a report said on Monday."
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2006/01/23/daily15.html

18$ Billion in the bank and yet Stanford needs my ps3 to run their computer calculations???? Please...:booty:[/QUOTE]

Do you have any idea how research works in this country? Schools do very little beyond providing very basic materials, i.e. an office, office supplies, the researchers salary, and perhaps equipment that they have. Everything else has to be paid for by grants from different foundations or the government. If you don't get a grant, then you basically have no money to do anything. You can't hire research assistants, you can't rent time on the expensive equipment you need to use, you don't have access to any processing time. This is why someone decided to think outside the box and do this. Personally, I'm fine having a slightly higher electric bill if it can create some good for mankind.

I keep getting "could not connect to server." I guess my PS3 wasn't meant to find a cure for cancer.

And I like SETI@home better, anyway. :)

[quote name='NamPaehc']Haha, I think you posted in the wrong thread![/QUOTE]
Yes... I apparently couldn't read the thread titles well enough on the PS3 browser.

BTW I got "could not connect to server" myself when I tried Folding@Home earlier this morning.

I'm starting to read about people who are buying PS3 JUST for folding.

Apparently there are people out there who enjoy building PCs just for folding 24/7. With some people having as many as 8 folding boxes or more.

With PS3s being so much faster (one project - 8 hrs, vs fast PC 1 day 14 hours) I can see why people would buy PS3s for speed as well as price.

And they've been waiting for this too. They say this was announced before launch but I guess I never thought much about it.

I can’t believe the level of ignorance and arrogance some people have displayed in this thread.

If you own a reasonably modern computer, you should already be running Folding @ Home on your computer, set so it runs whenever your computer runs.

If you are against finding out more about how diseases like cancer and Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s work, so that we can better treat and/ore cure them, you are an evil ass. Go put your “I love Cancer” bumper sticker on and leave us alone.

New thought********************************
It’s too bad this can’t run in the background while playing a movie or doing other stuff at the dashboard. That would be easier to implement than during a game, and at least let people run it more.

Also, for people running this on computers (which should be EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU), remember you can run as many copies at a time as you have CPUs. Have a dual or quad core system? Run two or four copies (of the command line client). Ask if you need help setting it up!

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']tax write-off? yeah right. sony's gonna get paid cold hard cash for every step along the way. from the initial install on all ps3 xmb, every hour completed/ever console running it/every X amount of protein info completed, a cut of any money that will come from it.[/quote]

Sony won’t get ONE CENT from this. Not as a tax write off, and certainly not as some kind of cut of something. If you read what the Folding @ Home project is about, you’ll know that.

that's another valuable point i don't think most of you don't realize. they're installing this software without consent. i was under the initial impression this was going to be completely optional. i would have to go to some internet link or to the playstation store to download the necessary software. looks like sony is saving me the hassle and automatically installing it on my device for me. who's to say they won't take it a step further huh? maybe have the program run mandatory in the background when i'm listening to music, playing blu-ray or dvds, playing downloadable games without the user even knowing? might as well right.

That would be a GREAT thing that we should all totally support. Won’t do much good though unless Sony gets it so it can run in the background like the computer versions do.

you guys are teh samrt:applause:

Yes, we are, because we know we don’t want cancer.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Yeah I understand how it works... Although I think it probably would have been better if it worked like the PC client. (Reroutes all processing loud from system idle process). Maybe it was too complicated to code it that way for PS3?[/QUOTE]

I’m guessing it’s both a hardware and software issue. Probably mostly software. Games on most consoles have a really thin OS (if they even have one in the strictest sense at all). They often let you get really “close to the metal”. Running this in the background would require that there’s a modern OS on there with task switching and stuff like that, which there may not be when you’re running a PS3 game.

Then too, Cell isn’t a very good general purpose CPU. Those SPUs may not handle task switching very well or automatically like a PC CPU can. They may not handle flipping back and forth between a game and Folding code.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm not an expert, but it seems like it could make the system to hang while you're playing. It occasionally does that with my laptop, even with a gb of ram and not too much else running.[/QUOTE]

It shouldn’t. Something else is wrong there. Could be a driver issue, malware, or faulty hardware somewhere-might want to run Memtest-Google it-for a few hours and see if you get any errors.

I’ve run Folding @ Home (command line client) on at least 9 CPUs for the last 5 years and have never had any issues at all with it.

[quote name='gizmogc']I have no idea WTF this is.

If I run this on my PS3, how is this helping at all? What IS it doing? Why can't this be done on a single computer?[/QUOTE]

It can’t be done on a single computer because there’s nothing in the world as powerful as the combined power of thousands or millions of “regular” computers (and now Playstation 3s!) Even if there was, the project couldn’t possibly afford a computer like that. The work Folding @ Home is doing is EXTREMELY computationally intensive.

As for what it’s doing, someone kind of explained (and you can just Google “Folding @ Home” for the Stanford link), but it’s basically simulating the folding of proteins to see how things go wrong (and/or how they can be corrected). Many diseses have a basis in our proteins folding wrong-which is why this has the potential to help cure cancer, Alzheimer’s, etc.

There have already been numerous peer-reviewed scientific papers that have come out of this project-it’s already seen results.

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']The lack of logic here is amazing. Really displays the intelligence of our boardmembers. How exactly does one go from mapping proteins to a guaranteed cure for cancer? Classic.[/QUOTE]

No one said it’s a guarantee. It is however very important research that can’t be done any other way. Are you against researching a cure for cancer? For Parkinson’s?

[quote name='jmiller80']Just an FYI for the really cheap CAGs:

Keep in mind the power consumption of processor and GPU intensive applications. Most people don't realize it but Folding@Home, SETI, and other distributed computing projects put a substantial load on PCs (and, in this case, the PS3) by their very computation intensive nature. This translates into tangibly higher power bills -- especially if you donate a lot of your "idle" time to the project. Even without a spinning disc, the consumption can still be a few hundred watts for a high-end PC, and I assume similar numbers for the PS3. Not a big deal for students living in on-campus housing and not paying the power bills, but it could translate to several dozen to several hundred dollars over the course of a year (if you donate all your idle time) depending on where you live.

Maybe if you replace all your incandescents with CF light bulbs you can offset the cost, but you have to have a lot of lights in your house (and you have to use them a lot).

(I like distributed computing projects and wholeheartedly support them, but this is one tangible consideration to keep in mind. It usually gets swept under the rug.)[/QUOTE]

Most desktop CPUs don’t really have much speed throttling built-in. I guess some newer ones do, but a lot don’t. There’s not a whole lot of difference in power draw if you don’t slow down the CPU. I mean sure, a modern PC might be drawing 200 watts…but it’s going to be pretty much 200 watts whether you’re running Folding @ Home on it or not.

If you’ve got a PC that has a lot of idle CPU time-which is virtually every PC on Earth-it’s pretty irresponsible not to run Folding on it. Even worse is people who leave their computers on overnight, having them do nothing!

[quote name='NamPaehc']
Not 100% sure about what joining a team does. I think you somehow help each other solve the same item or something.[/QUOTE]

Teams, and points, are really just for fun. Folding @ Home hands out work units based on what they need done at the time, and what your system’s specs are. Joining a team won’t affect that. The teams just mean that all the points you earn will go both towards your score, and your team’s score.

I’m around the 3500 biggest contributor in the world by the way, which I’m pretty proud of :) Number 7 on my team. While I love that, it’s also pretty scary that I rank that high, because I’m not really running that high-end of hardware. Best individual core I’ve got it running on is a Pentium 4 @ 3.4GHz/800MHz.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Might be cool if they can use the points to offer some kind of trophy for home once it launches.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can print out a certificate for yourself from the site :)

[quote name='Wolfpup']If you are against finding out more about how diseases like cancer and Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s work, so that we can better treat and/ore cure them, you are an evil ass. Go put your “I love Cancer” bumper sticker on and leave us alone.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

I think most people 'against' this, are just looking for a reason to bash Sony. While Sony bashing is fine, I can't believe that some people would downplay this just because they dislike a company.

[quote name='NamPaehc']
Not 100% sure about what joining a team does. I think you somehow help each other solve the same item or something.[/quote]

The team thing was just to add some competition and gaming elements to Folding@home seeing how PS3 is a gaming console.

[quote name='dpatel']Thank you.

I think most people 'against' this, are just looking for a reason to bash Sony. While Sony bashing is fine, I can't believe that some people would downplay this just because they dislike a company.[/QUOTE]

Well Graphics and PROCESsing power are OVerrated OK LOLS!? gameplay FTW!!!...... Oh wait we aren't talkinga bout games? OH well SONY SUXORZ LOLSSS! Wii OUTSELL PS3 2 To 1!!! LOLS in YUOR FACE!

[quote name='Wolfpup']I can’t believe the level of ignorance and arrogance some people have displayed in this thread.

If you own a reasonably modern computer, you should already be running Folding @ Home on your computer, set so it runs whenever your computer runs.

If you are against finding out more about how diseases like cancer and Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s work, so that we can better treat and/ore cure them, you are an evil ass. Go put your “I love Cancer” bumper sticker on and leave us alone.

New thought********************************
It’s too bad this can’t run in the background while playing a movie or doing other stuff at the dashboard. That would be easier to implement than during a game, and at least let people run it more.

Also, for people running this on computers (which should be EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU), remember you can run as many copies at a time as you have CPUs. Have a dual or quad core system? Run two or four copies (of the command line client). Ask if you need help setting it up!

Sony won’t get ONE CENT from this. Not as a tax write off, and certainly not as some kind of cut of something. If you read what the Folding @ Home project is about, you’ll know that.

That would be a GREAT thing that we should all totally support. Won’t do much good though unless Sony gets it so it can run in the background like the computer versions do.

Yes, we are, because we know we don’t want cancer.

I’m guessing it’s both a hardware and software issue. Probably mostly software. Games on most consoles have a really thin OS (if they even have one in the strictest sense at all). They often let you get really “close to the metal”. Running this in the background would require that there’s a modern OS on there with task switching and stuff like that, which there may not be when you’re running a PS3 game.

Then too, Cell isn’t a very good general purpose CPU. Those SPUs may not handle task switching very well or automatically like a PC CPU can. They may not handle flipping back and forth between a game and Folding code.

It shouldn’t. Something else is wrong there. Could be a driver issue, malware, or faulty hardware somewhere-might want to run Memtest-Google it-for a few hours and see if you get any errors.

I’ve run Folding @ Home (command line client) on at least 9 CPUs for the last 5 years and have never had any issues at all with it.

It can’t be done on a single computer because there’s nothing in the world as powerful as the combined power of thousands or millions of “regular” computers (and now Playstation 3s!) Even if there was, the project couldn’t possibly afford a computer like that. The work Folding @ Home is doing is EXTREMELY computationally intensive.

As for what it’s doing, someone kind of explained (and you can just Google “Folding @ Home” for the Stanford link), but it’s basically simulating the folding of proteins to see how things go wrong (and/or how they can be corrected). Many diseses have a basis in our proteins folding wrong-which is why this has the potential to help cure cancer, Alzheimer’s, etc.

There have already been numerous peer-reviewed scientific papers that have come out of this project-it’s already seen results.

No one said it’s a guarantee. It is however very important research that can’t be done any other way. Are you against researching a cure for cancer? For Parkinson’s?

Most desktop CPUs don’t really have much speed throttling built-in. I guess some newer ones do, but a lot don’t. There’s not a whole lot of difference in power draw if you don’t slow down the CPU. I mean sure, a modern PC might be drawing 200 watts…but it’s going to be pretty much 200 watts whether you’re running Folding @ Home on it or not.

If you’ve got a PC that has a lot of idle CPU time-which is virtually every PC on Earth-it’s pretty irresponsible not to run Folding on it. Even worse is people who leave their computers on overnight, having them do nothing!

Teams, and points, are really just for fun. Folding @ Home hands out work units based on what they need done at the time, and what your system’s specs are. Joining a team won’t affect that. The teams just mean that all the points you earn will go both towards your score, and your team’s score.

I’m around the 3500 biggest contributor in the world by the way, which I’m pretty proud of :) Number 7 on my team. While I love that, it’s also pretty scary that I rank that high, because I’m not really running that high-end of hardware. Best individual core I’ve got it running on is a Pentium 4 @ 3.4GHz/800MHz.[/QUOTE]

Nice post.

But you do realize that some people believe that diseases and cancer are just natural causes of life and by interfereing and extending life in this fashion you're jacking up the natural order of things =)?

Not saying one viewpoint is right on another, but things aren't always so clear cut.

anyway, gettin mah folding on wheee!

Pointed out in another thread (thanks Darknight):

in less than 24 hours, the PS3 has beat out 158,000 PC users.

2wf8sxj.png

[quote name='Zoglog']Well Graphics and PROCESsing power are OVerrated OK LOLS!? gameplay FTW!!!...... Oh wait we aren't talkinga bout games? OH well SONY SUXORZ LOLSSS! Wii OUTSELL PS3 2 To 1!!! LOLS in YUOR FACE!

Nice post.

But you do realize that some people believe that diseases and cancer are just natural causes of life and by interfereing and extending life in this fashion you're jacking up the natural order of things =)?

Not saying one viewpoint is right on another, but things aren't always so clear cut.

anyway, gettin mah folding on wheee![/QUOTE]

"the natural order of things." By that logic, I shouldn't be allowed to treat my next cold or fever and hope my body fights it off naturally and not resist if I start dying. Rule #1 is survival, eh?

In other words, those people who believe that are idiots and hypocrites. :)

[quote name='dallow']Pointed out in another thread (thanks Darknight):

in less than 24 hours, the PS3 has beat out 158,000 PC users.

2wf8sxj.png
[/QUOTE]

That's scary, but cool.

Look at the GPU specs though! That's even more scary. Smart move for them to port this to as many platforms as possible!

I hope I can run three copies on my new laptop when I get it (two on the CPUs, one on the GPU :D )

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']The team thing was just to add some competition and gaming elements to Folding@home seeing how PS3 is a gaming console.[/QUOTE]

Teams have been there forever. At least they've been there the whole five years I've been folding. It is kind of fun though, even if it doesn't really serve a purpose. Hey, it's better than X-Box Live's "achievements", as you're actually accomplishing something as you beat other people out! :)

So, what is this Folding thing exactly? I downloaded it, but didn't have time to really read or do anything?

What do I do with it?

[quote name='doubledown']So, what is this Folding thing exactly? I downloaded it, but didn't have time to really read or do anything?

What do I do with it?[/quote]

Strongly suggest reading Wolfpup's earlier post about it.

I went ahead and created the CAG folding team. The team number is 57248. If anyone wants to make a logo, or come up with a better team name just let me know. I'll change them.

[quote name='dallow']Strongly suggest reading Wolfpup's earlier post about it.[/QUOTE]

I still don't get it.....is there an easy way to tell me? All I saw was a bunch of arguing.

[quote name='doubledown']I still don't get it.....is there an easy way to tell me? All I saw was a bunch of arguing.[/QUOTE]

There was no real arguing. There were a couple of idiots who think Cancer is cool.

What do you want to know about Folding?

You just let the program run while you're not using your PS3 and it will process (and upload) data that might help cure disease.

[quote name='doubledown']I still don't get it.....is there an easy way to tell me? All I saw was a bunch of arguing.[/QUOTE]

www.google.com

or, ya know, clicking one of the links in the op?

Here is a quick guide I saw on the PS forums on how to use the broswer while folding is running:

"Since you cannot type in a URL or open a new browser while folding, here is a trick to open any website while still doing work:

From the F@H interface, hit TRIANGLE -> INFORMATION -> MY STATISTICS

When the F@H page comes up, on the left hand side, click "Help!"

Under "Support Center", Item #4, click on the Google link

Browse!! You can Zoom in by clicking the right thumbstick."

So I downloaded the client for Windows on my PC and tried running it, but it's telling me that one work unit is going to take about 3 months to complete. On the PS3, it takes about 8 hours. Now I know that the PS3 is pretty fast at this, but I don't think the difference is quite *that* big. Is anyone else running it on a PC? How long is it taking you to do one work unit?

[quote name='icruise']So I downloaded the client for Windows on my PC and tried running it, but it's telling me that one work unit is going to take about 3 months to complete. On the PS3, it takes about 8 hours. Now I know that the PS3 is pretty fast at this, but I don't think the difference is quite *that* big. Is anyone else running it on a PC? How long is it taking you to do one work unit?[/QUOTE]

That must be correct (as odd as that seems), because those numbers that were posted ealier show the PS3 beating the PC in terms of units, which is insane seeing as how there are way more PCs using this.

[quote name='icruise']So I downloaded the client for Windows on my PC and tried running it, but it's telling me that one work unit is going to take about 3 months to complete. On the PS3, it takes about 8 hours. Now I know that the PS3 is pretty fast at this, but I don't think the difference is quite *that* big. Is anyone else running it on a PC? How long is it taking you to do one work unit?[/quote]
10 days on my old PC.
Yeah.... I'll stick to PS3.

I think on optimal (expensive, idle) computers it takes a little less than 2 days.

BTW, maybe we should just change the name of the team so that it's clear that we're using PS3s. Either that or join the other one (assuming it's still active).

bread's done
Back