Folding@Home on PS3: Team Cheap Ass Created!

I haven't been around much and dont like leaving thing's on when i'm not home but this weekend i will fold for 4 or 5 day's straight to help out. Thank's to everyone helping. This need's to be a positive thing...

[quote name='zewone']It takes a long time just to knock out a single unit.[/quote]

Nice avatar.

Takes an average of 8 hours.

You guys want to have an offical CAG folding day each month?

Maybe just a day we pick out to leave our systems on during the day or just on that night. What dates/numbers are important to CAG that we might choice one in case you guys think it is a good idea.

I'm going to suggest the 1st of each Month since that is the lowest number... kind of like the lowest price.

Of course, you don't have to be involved but some of us might try and make a pledge to help out a at least a few hours on this day.

Just a suggestion.

[quote name='zewone']I've had my PS3 for less than a week and I've already have more work units then half of you.

Be ashamed.[/QUOTE]

I only have one ethernet cord to share between the 360 and PS3, something has got to give.

[quote name='mr ryles']I only have one ethernet cord to share between the 360 and PS3, something has got to give.[/QUOTE]
You only need the ethernet cord in when you're done with a WU and you upload the finished WU/download a new WU.

[quote name='zewone']You only need the ethernet cord in when you're done with a WU and you to upload/download a new WU.[/QUOTE]

so it can run with out the internet hooked up? I though that it was constantly sending out the data. Not just collecting it and then sending it all out at once.

So if I upload it then take out the ethernet cord then it finishes before I plug the cord back in. Will it just store it on the ps3 until the ethernet is plugged back in. or will that cause problems?

[quote name='mr ryles']so it can run with out the internet hooked up? I though that it was constantly sending out the data. Not just collecting it and then sending it all out at once.

So if I upload it then take out the ethernet cord then it finishes before I plug the cord back in. Will it just store it on the ps3 until the ethernet is plugged back in. or will that cause problems?[/QUOTE]
It works fine without an internet connection. It is not constantly recieving/sending data.

When it's done with the process, it will be at a standstill. Once you plug the ethernet back in, it will show a status bar of it uploading the finished WU. Then, a new WU will start. Once the new one has started, you can unplug the cord until 8 hours later when it's done. I've done this for all of my WUs, because I'm sharing a ethernet cord with the PS3/360 at the moment as well. No problems here.

Yeh the warning is about writing to the HD I think.

I've had my internet go out and it finished fine, but it didn't upload. Once the net came back up, it finished uploading and started on the next item.

My folding@home is messed up. It finished it's WU and now it just keeps constantly uploading it (very slowly) and when it gets to 100%, it just starts over. Guess I can't help the cause anymore.

[quote name='zewone']I've had my PS3 for less than a week and I've already have more work units then half of you.

Be ashamed.[/QUOTE]

enjoy your electric bill this month! ;)

[quote name='Apossum']enjoy your electric bill this month! ;)[/quote]

Average cost is like $12.25 if you run the program 24/7 for a month.

[quote name='zewone']My folding@home is messed up. It finished it's WU and now it just keeps constantly uploading it (very slowly) and when it gets to 100%, it just starts over. Guess I can't help the cause anymore.[/QUOTE]
I got the same thing last night, I think their servers are messed up. The world map shows no one working on WUs.

[quote name='Apossum']enjoy your electric bill this month! ;)[/QUOTE]

ya it is like $10 more a month to run it 24/7 the whole month. I don't even do it half that much so my electric bill will go up like $5, big whoop.

[quote name='panasonic']dude 5 bucks can buy you food[/QUOTE]

yes, but I'm not poor so I'm not sweating $5 to help cure cancer.

Way to go marten, you should be at (or right) 75 units by now! First of us to do that, and looking at stats, it seems that you only used your PS3 to get that far.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Way to go marten, you should be at (or right) 75 units by now! First of us to do that, and looking at stats, it seems that you only used your PS3 to get that far.[/QUOTE]

No love. :cry:

[quote name='NamPaehc']Way to go marten, you should be at (or right) 75 units by now! First of us to do that, and looking at stats, it seems that you only used your PS3 to get that far.[/quote]

That I have....the price of slowly growing a life again, and playing Zelda: TP and just leaving the PS3 humming away.

Hell of an achievement, though...we should be in that top 1k shortly :applause:

sonavagun...my fold@home froze on me.

Missed out on working on 2 WU -.- Owell.

Congrats to Spidey on his 90 WU! We'll be curing cancer in no time!

[quote name='musicnoteless']sonavagun...my fold@home froze on me.

Missed out on working on 2 WU -.- Owell.

Congrats to Spidey on his 90 WU! We'll be curing cancer in no time![/QUOTE]

Thank you for the congrats. We are closing in on 1k rather quickly. I feel good putting my PS3 to good use. I'm logging in the hours right now folding since I probably won't be able to when the AAA titles are released (namely FF13). The CAG community is awesome for particpating in this. :applause:

almost sub one thousand now (1,011). I have gotten 4 WU's done in the last 2 days, so I would like to take some of the credit for this achievement. :)

1,008 now.

Finally got my 10 spot back from Nam, hehe.
Yeah, I won't be able to do this as much when the better games start showing up, so best I get my hours in now.

#1000.

Not bad for a month's work, eh?

I'm contemplating picking up a 2nd PS3 just for folding purposes. Would hate to let the team down when the better games start showing up.

[quote name='dallow']1,008 now.

Finally got my 10 spot back from Nam, hehe.
Yeah, I won't be able to do this as much when the better games start showing up, so best I get my hours in now.[/quote]

HA! My internet went down and then I had a road trip so I figured I'd be happy just having been 10th for a while and say it is all just for a good cause.

I've almost completed my second WU :p

Btw, how much do you guys get charged per kwH? just curious. mine's .086.

[quote name='dallow']News. And it is sweet.[/QUOTE]

Nice! I love the globe, glad they're updating it. That'd be cool if they added new views (other than iso and the other one..)

I want to listen to my music! Cool they are updating it though.

>>Oh and anyone remember when I suggested every 1st of the months be the "Offical CAG Folding days?". Anyway to put that in front of people who are insterested in getting their systems up then for a few hours.

The dots on the globe are easier to see after 1 minute of playing around with it before going to work.
I see dots I never saw before from other parts of the globe. (non US, Europe, Japan)

[quote name='dallow']The dots on the globe are easier to see after 1 minute of playing around with it before going to work.
I see dots I never saw before from other parts of the globe. (non US, Europe, Japan)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's a lot easier to distinguish the dots from the lights in evening locations.

fuck, it happened again. i got another WU done, then it wouldn't let me upload it, even when I was connected.

I have 2.5% left and it is going to take 12 minutes, soooooooooo.....

*busts out calculator*

It still works out to be 8 hours a WU for me. I'll see if it changes after I finish this WU.

bread's done
Back