Folding@Home on PS3: Team Cheap Ass Created!

There's a new version of the F@H client (1.31) that has been released to fix the WU submission/request bug. If you exit and relaunch F@H, it will download automatically.

[quote name='Poor2More']What is Folding?Leave your ps3 on? Im clueless[/quote]
http://folding.stanford.edu/

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.
Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software.
Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Stupid ass Sony. Someone hijacked my account and so now I had to format the machine and start anew. i'm going to try Hiccup, instead of HICCUP, this time. I wonder if I still can get into my Folding account.

Edit: Yay! At least it let me sign back up under the CAGs and my name. Still, I lost all of my DL content/games. fucking bastards. Xbox Live is so much better than this bullshit.[/quote]

How do you hijack a folding account?
OHH You mean your PSN account.

Anyone know why I've been getting nothing but 125 point, 3 hour projects for the last few days? Did they run out of the normal 8 hour projects for the PS3 or something?

I've been getting a lot of them too. They just have different things in the queue at different times. A few weeks ago, I was getting 36-hour WUs, which were worth 1400 points. You still get ~900ppd no matter what your mix of WUs is, so it doesn't really matter.

Alright, I've been folding on my PS3 for the last couple of months, but it is now just too damn hot. I'm signing off for a bit. Pick up the slack, people!

Anyone have any issues after folding on the latest firmware update? When @home is running my PS3 fan turns on and it extremely noisy.. never did that before the last update.. and it only does it with F@H, not with any other games or anything.

[quote name='Sinistar']Anyone have any issues after folding on the latest firmware update? When @home is running my PS3 fan turns on and it extremely noisy.. never did that before the last update.. and it only does it with F@H, not with any other games or anything.[/quote]
I haven't noticed.

I would have become the #1 CAG folder today if I hadn't joined another team before I knew there was one here.....

Keep up the good work guys! :) To remind you of what you're actually doing, here are the first 54 peer-reviewed studies that have come out of the folding project. Remember that once our work shows something promising, real physical research follows, then a study is written, then it is reviewed and finally it is published. So those 54 studies really represent where this project was 18 months ago. This is REAL science, being advanced by gamers (among many others). Of that you should all be proud.

[quote name='geko29']I would have become the #1 CAG folder today if I hadn't joined another team before I knew there was one here.....

Keep up the good work guys! :) To remind you of what you're actually doing, here are the first 54 peer-reviewed studies that have come out of the folding project. Remember that once our work shows something promising, real physical research follows, then a study is written, then it is reviewed and finally it is published. So those 54 studies really represent where this project was 18 months ago. This is REAL science, being advanced by gamers (among many others). Of that you should all be proud.[/quote]
So then your FAH name is geko29?
How do you manage so many points per day?

Yeah that's me. :D

3 PS3s (2 40s and a 60), one E4300) OC'd to 2.88Ghz, one T7250 (2.0Ghz) laptop, one TL-60 (2.0Ghz) laptop, two dual P4 Xeon 2.8Ghz servers, two P4 2.8Ghz desktops. Everything folding around the clock unless one of the PS3s is playing a Blu-Ray or the laptops are on the move. Should be good for 6,000+, but life unfortunately intervenes....

$100. Fairly close to what it was before I started folding. Heating bill was down this winter though. :)

FWIW, the servers and the P4 desktops are at work, not at home. One of the 40GB PS3s is at my parents' house, and the other is at my Father-in-law's (I paid for them, so they fold on my account). The laptops are less than 35W apiece when the screens are off (which is most of the time), while the desktop is more like 120W--but it was on all the time anyway.

C2D laptops seem to be the most efficient producer in terms of points per watt, followed by dual and then single Core2Quad desktops (neither of which I have). My C2D 2.0 puts out as many points in 40 hours as the PS3 does in 48, but the PS3 consumes 5.7x as much electricity per hour, or 6.8x as much electricity per point. Making 1800 points takes 1.4kWh on the laptop, vs. 9.6kWh on the PS3, or 3.6kWh on the C2D desktop.

I thought the PS3 was a powerful folder? With your laptop, what are its specs? My laptop only has a T2300 1.66 Core Duo processor and 2 GB ram. It seems really slow at folding.

[quote name='richierich']I thought the PS3 was a powerful folder? With your laptop, what are its specs? My laptop only has a T2300 1.66 Core Duo processor and 2 GB ram. It seems really slow at folding.[/quote]
It is. In terms of FLOPS, nothing except ATI GPUs can touch it. But Stanford varies the point structure slightly by the relative value of the work. The PS3 is very fast, but can only run a subset of the projects. They set the points baseline using the PS3, at 900ppd. The GPU client is WAY faster in terms of calculation speed, but can only run a VERY limited set of projects, so it gets like 25-75 points per work unit (which the top cards can do in 30-40 minutes, and the slower ones finish in a few hours). The SMP client, on the other hand, can run nearly every type of calculation they have and the machines are typically almost dedicated folding rigs (projects have a 3-4 day deadline, vs 90 days for a typical single-processor WU), so the points are artificially bumped.

A typical SMP WU is worth 1760 points. My desktop (E4300 oveclocked to 2.88Ghz, with 4GB of RAM) can crank those out about every 30-32 hours. The laptop is a T7250 (2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM), and it takes roughly 40 hours to do the same thing.

Make no mistake about it, the SMP WUs take a WHILE to complete. Based on your specs, I'd guess it'd take about two days to complete a WU, maybe a little longer because the CD isn't quite as fast as the C2D is. But even at two days, that's the same number of points as the PS3 puts out (~1800) over the same time period if both are folding nonstop. Watch your points when the laptop finally DOES turn in a work unit--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I use the extremeoverclocking stats, here's my summary page. If you see the 4/10/08 12pm update (bottom right) with 2,385 points, here's how that breaks down: 3 PS3s @ 125 points apiece, 1 uniprocessor @250 points, 1 SMP @1,760. Notice how the 3 PS3s have turned in 14 work units today (as of the time of this post), but they're not worth a whole lot (125pts ea). Then notice that between my 4 SMP boxes, only one WU has been returned, but it was worth a TON (the same as all the PS3 production from today combined), and one of the 4 uniprocessor clients returned just one WU (representing 2 days or so worth of work), worth just double what one of those quick PS3 WUs is.

There's a search box on the left that you can use to look up your own stats, and see how many points you get when your WUs are returned.

[quote name='geko29']It is. In terms of FLOPS, nothing except ATI GPUs can touch it. But Stanford varies the point structure slightly by the relative value of the work. The PS3 is very fast, but can only run a subset of the projects. They set the points baseline using the PS3, at 900ppd. The GPU client is WAY faster in terms of calculation speed, but can only run a VERY limited set of projects, so it gets like 25-75 points per work unit (which the top cards can do in 30-40 minutes, and the slower ones finish in a few hours). The SMP client, on the other hand, can run nearly every type of calculation they have and the machines are typically almost dedicated folding rigs (projects have a 3-4 day deadline, vs 90 days for a typical single-processor WU), so the points are artificially bumped.

A typical SMP WU is worth 1760 points. My desktop (E4300 oveclocked to 2.88Ghz, with 4GB of RAM) can crank those out about every 30-32 hours. The laptop is a T7250 (2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM), and it takes roughly 40 hours to do the same thing.

Make no mistake about it, the SMP WUs take a WHILE to complete. Based on your specs, I'd guess it'd take about two days to complete a WU, maybe a little longer because the CD isn't quite as fast as the C2D is. But even at two days, that's the same number of points as the PS3 puts out (~1800) over the same time period if both are folding nonstop. Watch your points when the laptop finally DOES turn in a work unit--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I use the extremeoverclocking stats, here's my summary page. If you see the 4/10/08 12pm update (bottom right) with 2,385 points, here's how that breaks down: 3 PS3s @ 125 points apiece, 1 uniprocessor @250 points, 1 SMP @1,760. Notice how the 3 PS3s have turned in 14 work units today (as of the time of this post), but they're not worth a whole lot (125pts ea). Then notice that between my 4 SMP boxes, only one WU has been returned, but it was worth a TON (the same as all the PS3 production from today combined), and one of the 4 uniprocessor clients returned just one WU (representing 2 days or so worth of work), worth just double what one of those quick PS3 WUs is.

There's a search box on the left that you can use to look up your own stats, and see how many points you get when your WUs are returned.[/quote]

So the SMP client is why you get 1760 point WUs?
FAH needs to put out a 32bit SMP client for linux...:cry:

[quote name='mguiddy']So the SMP client is why you get 1760 point WUs?[/quote]
Yup.

[quote name='mguiddy']FAH needs to put out a 32bit SMP client for linux...:cry:[/quote]
Why not run the 64-bit version? Folding on Vista x64 rocks, I assume it would be just as dope on Linux.

Linux (x86-64 bit, only) SMP client console version

There are SMP clients for XP, 2003, Vista, Server 2008, Linux x64, and OS X for Intel. Should cover 95% of the people with the horsepower to complete the WUs before the deadlines.

Worst case, there are Linux kernels/apps that support VT, and running Windows virtual machines at 95-98% of native hardware speed. You could run the windows client on your linux box. Alternatively, similar Linux virtualization tools exist for Windows, letting you run Linux on a Windows box with almost no performance degradation. At work I have over a dozen Windows servers running on a single Linux server with eight processors and 12 gigs of RAM. :) I have over 40 XP desktops running on another identical server. We obviously use expensive enterprise-class tools to do this (VMWare ESX Server), but there are lots of free ones out there for casual use.

[quote name='geko29']Why not run the 64-bit version? Folding on Vista x64 rocks, I assume it would be just as dope on Linux.

Linux (x86-64 bit, only) SMP client console version

There are SMP clients for XP, 2003, Vista, Server 2008, Linux x64, and OS X for Intel. Should cover 95% of the people with the horsepower to complete the WUs before the deadlines.

Worst case, there are Linux kernels/apps that support VT, and running Windows virtual machines at 95-98% of native hardware speed. You could run the windows client on your linux box. Alternatively, similar Linux virtualization tools exist for Windows, letting you run Linux on a Windows box with almost no performance degradation. At work I have over a dozen Windows servers running on a single Linux server with eight processors and 12 gigs of RAM. :) I have over 40 XP desktops running on another identical server. We obviously use expensive enterprise-class tools to do this (VMWare ESX Server), but there are lots of free ones out there for casual use.[/quote]
Because I don't run a 64 bit kernel. :lol: I don't think I have a real reason why I'm not running a 64 bit kernel... I may check it out next time I upgrade. Also, I don't feel like running a vm with 64 bit linux and I don't own a license for windows (well I have a 95se and 98 upgrade key somewhere, but nothing higher) so I'm not going to run that in a VM (though I do have an xp vm installed with the key from my mother's laptop that I use when websites are so asinine that they do not support anything but IE, and I don't mean they check the user agent, the code actually does not run on anything but IE).

Well, I've finally joined the folding team ;)
Now I wonder what will happen to the 238 WUs I've worked prior to joining Team Cheap Ass when I was on the GameSpot folding team, will my WUs carry over to this team? :whistle2:k

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Well, I've finally joined the folding team ;)
Now I wonder what will happen to the 238 WUs I've worked prior to joining Team Cheap Ass when I was on the GameSpot folding team, will my WUs carry over to this team? :whistle2:k[/quote]
Pretty sure no.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Well, I've finally joined the folding team ;)
Now I wonder what will happen to the 238 WUs I've worked prior to joining Team Cheap Ass when I was on the GameSpot folding team, will my WUs carry over to this team? :whistle2:k[/quote]
No. WUs you donate to a team belong to that team forever. They'll still show up on your individual scorecard (ie, your point total doesn't reset to 0 just because you switched teams), but your standings on your new team start off at 0 points.

Joined a little while ago. I think I'll put this on my computer too. Are there long term effects for this? I mean... how much extra wear and tear does it add to a PC that's on 24/7 anyway?

[quote name='QiG']Joined a little while ago. I think I'll put this on my computer too. Are there long term effects for this? I mean... how much extra wear and tear does it add to a PC that's on 24/7 anyway?[/quote]

I've seen no effect on any of the computers I have it running on (4 of them). When the computers are in use, the F@H program uses minimal resources and once the computer is no longer being used, the program starts utilizing available resources again.

[quote name='vietgurl']just joined today. oh no, i think i'm getting back into gaming....[/quote]

welcome back. haven't seen you on these boards in quite awhile.

w00t! Cracked the top 175. I'd have my old computer running it 24/7 but it's too loud and my girlfriend complains about it.

I let it run on my primary PC most of the time and when i go to bed I just leave the PS3 on to complete and turn off after the next work unit. Pretty cool stuff, at least I feel like I'm doing a good thing here.

bread's done
Back