For bookworms--The Amazon Kindle

That's what the bump of the thread was about. The newer one rolls out later this month and you can preorder it from Amazon now.

... I'm on the fence over a Kindle 2 at the moment. The problem is that we're running out of physical /space/ in our house for books, and my wife is a voracious reader.

The reason I'm wary is the price of the actual ebooks themselves. I'd gladly pay for the device, but six to ten dollars for a book that isn't actually PRINTED physically seems like a stretch.

[quote name='Gourd']... I'm on the fence over a Kindle 2 at the moment. The problem is that we're running out of physical /space/ in our house for books, and my wife is a voracious reader.

The reason I'm wary is the price of the actual ebooks themselves. I'd gladly pay for the device, but six to ten dollars for a book that isn't actually PRINTED physically seems like a stretch.[/QUOTE]

Well, think of it this way, you are paying six to ten dollars for a copy that is instantly delivered and can never get damaged. If it's a new book, you can avoid paying the premium for the hardcover copy.

Also there is a pretty big selection of free books avaliable if she is into the classics/public domain books.

http://www.feedbooks.com/books/recent

http://www.feedbooks.com/help/kindle

Last edited by a moderator:
I held off buying the first version of the Kindle because I knew there would be a much better second version. I have my eye on the Kindle 2. Perhaps when I run out of space on my last book case, I'll buy it. :whistle2:k

A bump since the Kindle 2 is shipping today.

I've been looking some more into these ereader's after playing with the Sony one's at a Sony Style store.

I think I'll either eventually pick up a Kindle or wait for something better to come out. I'd really like something that does a good job in converting PDFs since I read a ton of scholarly articles and would love to read them on an ereader rather wasting paper printing them out (can't stand to read on a PC/laptop).

But from reviews neither the Sony or the Kindle do a good/consistent job with PDFs.

Otherwise I like the design of the Sony better, and it's cheaper. But from checking out several books I'd be interested in more were available on the Kindle store and most were cheaper there (most just $1 or so difference, but a couple were $10+ cheaper).

At any rate for now I'm just going to hoard my Amazon Visa reward certificates and Keynote evalation rewards and wait for price drops/deals/something better to come out.

Edit: From some more research, it seems like no ereader will ever do a good job with PDFs with a lot of graphs and tables (like the journal articles I'd be reading) as it's a PDF issue rather than a limitation of the hardware--just no good way to rescale those for a small screen. So that won't be a consideration. I'm leaning toward just waiting for a price drop on the Kindle 2 (or 3 down the road) unless there's an irresistable deal on the Sony 505 as I'd really like to have the wireless to grab books, magazines etc. while traveling without needing a laptop and wifi hotspot--along with the better selection and general lower prices. May also keep an eye out on Craig's list for a cheap Kindle 1--probably be some that pop up from people who upgraded. But it would have to be $150 or less for me to take a chance on a used one and that's probably unlikely.

Raised my price standard a bit and scored a Kindle 1 in great condition off Craigslist for $200 today. Still has 6.5 half months left on the warranty, and it has a couple of books on it I was planning to buy and read so that knocked $20 off as well.

So I'm quite pleased. The screen on it is great--easy to read and easy on the eyes.

I can't test out the wireless access etc. yet as if I register it to my Amazon account I'll lose the books the previous owner had. So I need to read those couple of books first.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Raised my price standard a bit and scored a Kindle 1 in great condition off Craigslist for $200 today. Still has 6.5 half months left on the warranty, and it has a couple of books on it I was planning to buy and read so that knocked $20 off as well.

So I'm quite pleased. The screen on it is great--easy to read and easy on the eyes.

I can't test out the wireless access etc. yet as if I register it to my Amazon account I'll lose the books the previous owner had. So I need to read those couple of books first.[/QUOTE]

I just bought a Kindle 1 from somebody at a different forum for $205

Shipped out today :bouncy:

---------

I've been getting prepared by downloading some free public domain books. :cool:

http://www.feedbooks.com/

Yeah I plan on hitting that site up as soon as I finish the couple books I want to read and I can register it. Though I suppose I could download them and put them on via USB rather than doing the wireless thing (which feedbooks can do apparently) as those non-DRM books should stay on when I register it.

http://www.feedbooks.com/

Great site for free books. They have a guide you download to your kindle then you can browse all the free, public domain books on your Kindle and click the link to download them. Tons of great classics in the public domain.

In other news, the Kindle PC program is out now which provides a way to read your kindle books on your pc/laptop. It can be downloaded from the Kindle page at Amazon.

Anyone here try both the Sony PRS 505 and the Kindle 2?

I have a 505 and I'm really tempted to sell it and get a Kindle 2 instead. I really, really like how small the 505 is, the elegant metal design and that it comes with a really nice cover but I can't stand the "next page" button on the right hand side. It's not particularly comfortable and even getting the button to click can be a minor pain depending on how you position your thumb.

I've been using Calibre exclusively and have been impressed by how effective the conversion from umm..."found books" in various formats to .LRT can be. I don't want to lose that if I move to a Kindle, but I assume that converting from .LIT, .PDF, .DOC and such to a Kindle format should work just as good, if not better. I mean that in terms of how readable the converted book is, I know that Calibre fully supports the Kindle hardware. Also, I just care about text files, I understand that picture intensive PDFs are a different can of worms. Can any Kindle owners comment on that? Other pros on the Kindle side are that I would rather purchase books using Amazon's storefront because I can access them on my iPhone and I believe you can strip the DRM off them, which you can't do with books off the Sony store.

Any input would be appreciated.

I've played around with both. Screen wise they're literally identical I believe.

The only real difference is the Sony store vs. the Amazon Kindle store for e-books you buy--and the built in Whispernet for downloading books etc. in the Kindle vs. having to hook up to the PC to transfer books to the 505.

Converting those books to .mobi for use on the Kindle in Calibre would be no problem, and from what I've seen, it is pretty easy to strip DRM from Kindle books--though I've not done it or researched how to.

Basically, don't expect any huge plusses beyond more books and usually better prices (when they're different) in the Kindle store vs. the Sony store, and the convenience of the Whispernet. Other wise, the readers are very similar functionality wise.

Thanks. To be honest, it's really that uncomfortable "next page" button that prompted me to look into this. Flipping through 50 to 100 pages in a single session of light reading is pretty common and can be a real pain.

I just looked up the Kindle 2 and saw that Amazon sells it refurbished for $219. I think I'll try that and if I'm not satisfied with the condition I'll return it and pay the $40 for a new one. I know it's not the new international GSM version but that's not an issue for me. Has anyone looked into the possibility of Amazon discontinuing the Whispernet service on the previous non-ATT Kindles, though?

They'd have a hard time dropping the Whispernet since it was included in the price of the device and stated to last for the life of the device etc. in the marketing.

I use the Kindle app on my iPod Touch and love it. Anyone hear if they are planning an Android version?

[quote name='TC']I use the Kindle app on my iPod Touch and love it. Anyone hear if they are planning an Android version?[/QUOTE]

YES!

Also, Kindle 2 on sale today at woot.com for $155!

Yeah, I saw that as well.

Slightly tempting, but the iPad killed my interest in a big screen device. I wouldn't do long term reading on it really, just skimming through PDF documents for work etc. and I prefer LCD for the much faster page turns. And better off with a tablet so I can surf net, watch video etc. so I get more use out of it.

It will be interesting to see if these big screen e-ink devices like the DX, Plastic Logic Que (if it ever comes out) survive the iPad and the other rush of tablets from Google and other companies slated to come out in the next year.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Sold out now, but if you missed the announcement the price dropped to $189 on Amazon the other day.

Amazon also sells refurbished Kindle 2s for $139.99--come in packaging and with the same 1 year warranty as a new one.

http://www.warehousedeals.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Device-6-Display/M/B00154JDAI.htm[/QUOTE]

I have been interested in checking out a Kindle and the price drop makes it much more tempting, but I am going to hold out a bit longer to see if they introduce a new model.

Yeah, there are rumors of a new Kindle coming this fall.

No details at all. Some rumors say it will just be thinner and have a higher contrast screen like this new DX model. Others say it will have a color screen--maybe with the new Mirasol technology than can do color and an e-ink like reflective mode.

My money would be on the former as the Mirasol tech isn't out yet and would probably be too pricey to launch a Kindle with it that soon.

The former would be just fine by me. I haven't really been into reading in over 10 years, but something about the Kindle makes it seem like fun. My wishlist on Amazon.com is already a bit large as I look up books to read, heh.

I bit the bullet and got myself the refurbished Kindle 2 International at $169. I like carrying it with me and have found it most comfortable than using my iPod Touch to read via the Kindle app. I do wonder what the possible hardware refresh will be though.

^

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/06/...reen-e-reader-patent-granted-barnes-and-nobl/

from July 6th. eink on top and "a smaller lcd screen" for the bottom. Not only navigating book but searching/typing on a nice sized lcd on the bottom of the device would be hella cool if thats whats gonna happen. i am sure its gonna be quicker than the nook which had horrible lag early on in its release.

Waiting for this refresh before i pick up a kindle.

I went ahead and finally upgraded my K1 to a K2 when the refurbed US K2's were 109.99 a couple weeks back. So no chance I'll get the K3.

My next e-reading purchase will be some kind of tablet device with a screen big enough for 8.5x11 documents. Could be waiting a while since everything seems to be coming out with 5", 7" and 10" screens.

Pretty neat, but $60 is steep for a case even with a light built in.

Also looks like it still lacks straps on the right side to hold the Kindle in place as well. There were some problems with the Amazon K2 case cracking kindles since it only had the hinges on the left and the kindle could flap around. But maybe this has another way of holding it more secure, hard to tell from the pictures.

In any case I'll bet sticking with my Kindle 2 and M-Edge Go case! I upgraded from my K1 a couple weeks back when the refurbs were $110 as I was pretty sure the K3 would be more or less the same thing with the new screen like the new Kindle DX and I don't care much about that as I'm fine with the contrast on the K2.

I'll keep it for my novel reading until it breaks. Next reader purchase will be some type of tablet for reading big PDFs and surfing the net etc. Maybe a 2nd gen iPad, but hoping for something with an 11-12" screen to better handle 8.5x11" documents.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Pretty neat, but $60 is steep for a case even with a light built in.

Also looks like it still lacks straps on the right side to hold the Kindle in place as well. There were some problems with the Amazon K2 case cracking kindles since it only had the hinges on the left and the kindle could flap around. But maybe this has another way of holding it more secure, hard to tell from the pictures.[/QUOTE]

Well, the whole point is that it doesn't need a battery like an external light. That alone is worth an extra $20 (at least for me)

Straps on the right aren't necessary as along as you aren't a dumbass that opens it the wrong way. I'm still amazed that that story got legs. "oh my xbox 360 scratched my disc when I moved it from standing up to sitting down while it was running" Of course, it isn't designed to do that and there is no reason for you to do it. Try starting your car in fifth gear, drive around and see if it runs the same way afterwards.

For me I seldom use a booklight anyway. I have a clip on Might Bright light, but seldom use it since I mainly only read in bed where I have a bright lamp. Just bought it to use on flights since the overhead lights are worthless on a lot of planes. So it definitely wouldn't be worth the extra cost to me. Batteries are pretty moot to me anyway since I have a ton of rechargeables. In any case, a case with a light that doesn't require batteries is a cool concept, just seems overpriced to me.

I went with the M-Edge Go just because it was $5 cheaper, better padded and nicer looking than the Amazon case--I also didn't like the Amazon K1 case much so I was kind of biased against it. I didn't read about the hinge issue story until afterwards. So I have no idea if that was really an issue. I do like the straps on the right though as if I'm going to read with it in a case I don't want it moving at all. Plus I like having it very secure when it's in my luggage, brief case etc. as I toss those around without thought to what's in them.

In any case, I'm sure the Amazon K2 case is better than the worthless K1 case where the K1 isn't attached to the case at all. Just didn't seem worth $5 more vs. the M-Edge go which looked nicer, was better reviewed etc.

I am probably gonna preorder a wifi version for 139. Just need to decide if the light case is worth it or just get one without a light. decisions .....

any other favorite kindle cases besides the already mentioned amazon case+light & the M-edge go?

Well, you want to make sure the M-edge go and other K2 cases work with the new one. It may have a different hinge system etc.--I think it's a bit smaller than the K2 as well, so even the straps may not line up right.

So you may have to wait for more K3 cases to come out. Or at least for confirmation that K2 cases work fine (or certain ones do etc.).

On that note, from some Kindle sites I can confirm that K2 cases won't work with the K3. An M-Edge rep said they are working on K3 Go cases as well as some of their other models. Sure other companies are doing the same.

So I'd just pre-order a K3 if you want, and hold off on pre-ordering a case as some more options should pop up between now and the time the K3 ships in late August so you'll have more to choose from if you're not sold on the Amazon case.

Yeah I saw the size comparison on the amazon k3 page. Definitely gonna wait on a case now. Wonder if third parties are gonna be allowed to leech off the k3 battery.

[quote name='naiku']Yeah I saw the size comparison on the amazon k3 page. Definitely gonna wait on a case now. Wonder if third parties are gonna be allowed to leech off the k3 battery.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how they could stop them. It just works through the hinge system that hooks the K3 to the case. So any 3rd party should be able to take advantage of that.

the new $140 kindle has me more interested than ive ever been in owning one. a decent black friday sale might get me on the hook. right now, even $140 seems too high, i can get 10 books for that!

Shame you missed the $109.99 refurbed Kindle 2 deal a couple weeks back. That's the lowest it's likely to go this year I'd think.

Maybe that deal will pop back up again if they get a bunch of K2's shipped back from people who bought one in the last 30 days and want a K3 now as Amazon has a 30 day return window for Kindles.

I placed an order for one of each right now, as I can't decide if I want the 3G or not. Off the top of my head I don't really see an instance where it will be needed, but I like the white over the graphite, so that factors into things as well.

As for the case, I am not sold on the Amazon case just yet, so I am holding off on that until I see what 3rd parties offer.

3G is only needed if you travel a lot IMO. Even then I usually load up books before leaving, so I don't make a lot of use out of the 3G specifically anyway. So if was wanting to upgrade I'd go with the WiFi one.

One thing about graphite, some reviews of the graphite KDX have said that it helps with make the contrast look better. Not physically better, just kind of illusory as having the darker plastic makes the gray background look lighter where as the white plastic really shows how the background is gray rather than white. Which is something that bothers some about e-ink.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Has there been any word if Kindles will ever support graphic novels?[/QUOTE]

They can read PDFs now, so you could put graphic novels/comics in that format in there. And I've seen on other forums with people reading Manga on there--apparently there are programs to convert files to a readable format. Not sure if it's just PDF or some other Kindle supported format.

Of course the 6" screen is a bit small for much other than manga--9.7" on the Kindle DX is better. And of course no color, so something like the iPad or other tablets will probably be the best option for comics and graphic novels overall. They definitely look great on the iPad, screen is a tad small for some though whch can make the fonts hard to read without zooming into the panel by panel mode which makes the art blurry/pixelated.

[quote name='dmaul1114']3G is only needed if you travel a lot IMO. Even then I usually load up books before leaving, so I don't make a lot of use out of the 3G specifically anyway. So if was wanting to upgrade I'd go with the WiFi one.

One thing about graphite, some reviews of the graphite KDX have said that it helps with make the contrast look better. Not physically better, just kind of illusory as having the darker plastic makes the gray background look lighter where as the white plastic really shows how the background is gray rather than white. Which is something that bothers some about e-ink.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I would have thought the White would have given the illusion of a better reading experience, but it seems that is not the case. By going with the cheaper one I could basically get that Amazon case for free, some other case, or a bunch of books for the same cost as the 3G one which I don't really need. I guess I'll try to look up some impressions of the graphite one as far as reading and whatnot goes. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, the reason is with e-ink you're getting basically dark gray words on a lighter gray background. So the contrast-while good, isn't near black text on white paper.

Apparently the graphite case helps a tad on that front as it tricks the eye into thinking the gray background is lighter than it is since the case is darker than the background. Whereas on the white case the background is darker.

[quote name='62t']But if people are reading Japanese managa, then black and white wont be a problem.[/QUOTE]

Yep, which is why I mentioned it. Manga is fine on the Kindle since it's black and white and small pages. Comics and US graphic novels need a bigger screen and most are in color. But the Kindle or any e-ink reader with 6" screen are good for Manga from what I've read on the e-reader sites.

Luck is with me, I suppose, since by missing the reburb deals from earlier I can feel free to purchase this newer Kindle.

I have a quick question about something I didn't notice during my earlier research into the Kindle units. Page Numbers.

Do you feel that this will ever be added in a firmware or software update? I do occassional reading where being able to discuss particular quotes or portions of a work would be very desireable. The Wife, who is an attorney, cites things all the time. Even from her personal recreational reading (You'd be surprised how often things in various popular books can be useful in speeches or as vignettes.)

I'm not a graduate student, a researcher or anything like that, but I suspect that there have to be some people just like that who frequent these forums. How do you handle the lack of page numbers? How can I point to a particular spot in a book or write a MLA attribution?

It's not a huge deal but it seems so basic. I know that the Kindle can 'reflow' text based on font sizes, but it is my understanding that the Nook does the same thing, but can still reference the original page number of the book. (You could, for example, use a gigantic font size and remain on 'page 4' for ten Nook page flips.)

bread's done
Back