For bookworms--The Amazon Kindle

Page numbers will never be fixed on e-readers since you can change the font size which thus alters the number of pages the book has.

The Kindle gives a location range for each page, and those locations go to specific places regardless of font size so you could cite those I suppose. Though none of the style guides currently have that--probably because different e-readers use different systems.

Now iBooks does do page numbers, but when you change the font you get different number of pages, so just citing a page number wouldn't work since it doesn't correspond to a specific paragraph etc. like the Kindle location numbers. Guess for that type of system you'd have to cite page number and font size or something.

But yeah, that's something that needs improved and standardized across devices and e-book formats so they can develop a citation system. I just stick with paper books currently for all my work related reading since I have to cite properly.

Listing the paper book page number is another pretty good solution IMO, I didn't know the Nook format did that.

I have the M-Edge Go! case and like it a lot. It's plain looking--which I like--and very light. It has a nice option light you can get that slides into a slot on the case.

Amazon makes a case with a built in light that runs off the Kindle battery, so that's another option for you. I don't use a reading light often, so I didn't bother.

If you want a very fancy looking case, Oberon is the way to go--though they're very pricey.

Amazon announced a slew of new Kindle models the other day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051QVESA/ref=famstripe_k

Kindle--no keyboard or touch screen, wifi only. Goes for $79 with special offers, $109 without

Kindle Touch Wifi--touch screen. Goes for $99 with special offers, $139 without

Kindle Touch 3g/Wifi--touch screen. Goes for $149 with special offers, $189 without.

Kindle Fire-7" LCD tablet running Android. Goes $199.

They're keeping the Kindle 3 as well, same pricing as before, just renamed to Kindle Keyboard.

Some pretty damn aggressive pricing from Amazon. And with Kindle finally getting Overdrive Library e-book support, they took away the one big advantage the Nook had.

Pretty much game over in the e-book format wars now I'd say.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Amazon announced a slew of new Kindle models the other day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051QVESA/ref=famstripe_k

Kindle--no keyboard or touch screen, wifi only. Goes for $79 with special offers, $109 without

Kindle Touch Wifi--touch screen. Goes for $99 with special offers, $139 without

Kindle Touch 3g/Wifi--touch screen. Goes for $149 with special offers, $189 without.

Kindle Fire-7" LCD tablet running Android. Goes $199.

They're keeping the Kindle 3 as well, same pricing as before, just renamed to Kindle Keyboard.

Some pretty damn aggressive pricing from Amazon. And with Kindle finally getting Overdrive Library e-book support, they took away the one big advantage the Nook had.

Pretty much game over in the e-book format wars now I'd say.[/QUOTE]

I dunno if I'd go so far as to say game over but after this I'd say Amazon will keep their top market share. The question is whether the market has grown big enough to support Nook and Kindle.

Those new units are damn sexy and if I didn't already have a Kindle 2 and a Touchpad, I'd definitely be looking at getting a Fire.

Oh I think we'll see multiple brands of e-reader devices out. I just think we'll end up seeing the .mobi format become the dominant e-book file format.

DRM will eventually go away just like it did with digital music and stores will be selling DRM free .mobi books rather that ePub eventually since Amazon will have so much of the market share.

Granted, when DRM goes away file format is moot as it's super easy to convert non-drm e-books from one format to the other in free programs like Calibre.

As for the new models, I'm tempted by the Kindle Touch but will probably hold off. I mainly just read my Kindle in bed, and my K3 is fine for that. No interest in the fire since I have an iPad 2 and find even the 9.7" screen a tad small for some of my uses. So I have no interest in a 7" tablet.

I've been mulling over getting a Kindle Touch. I still don't read as much as I should, but hoping it will push me over the edge. I like reading on my iPad 2, but I actually kind of want something that's disconnected from the net and games. It's too easy for me to get distracted and end up doing something other then reading. :)

I definitely have read a TON more since I got my first Kindle 2+ years ago.

Just so convenient to get ebooks instantly, no hassling with buying a paperbook I'll read once, or having to go to the library etc.

I have an iPad 2 as well, I've read a few books on it (library e-books before the recent Kindle update), but much prefer reading novels on the Kindle. As you note, no other distractions on the device, much smaller/lighter and easier to curl up and read with, and e-ink is so much easier on the eyes than an LCD screen.

What exactly is the benefit of having a touch screen got a kindle? I have a k3 and see no point in touching the screen.

[quote name='munch']What exactly is the benefit of having a touch screen got a kindle? I have a k3 and see no point in touching the screen.[/QUOTE]

It's not enough for me to upgrade either, but I do see some benefits.

-Quicker dictionary look up. Just touch the work rather than having to scroll the cursor to it with the 5-way controller.

-Same with highlighting, just touch and swipe

-Menu navigation--touch and swipe vs. scrolling around

-Should make the experimental web browser better--touch links instead of having to scroll around to them with the 5-way

-Games--assume there will be some new games that only work on the touch screen

-Page turn ergonomics. Don't have to keep a thumb near a fixed page turn button. Can tap or swipe anywhere on the screen.

If they had a newer generation e-ink screen with better contrast I'd probably get a Kindle Touch. But since it's the same e-ink pearl screen as in the K3 I'll stick with my K3 for now. The touch screen benefits would be fairly nice, but not enough to upgrade for since I don't do much of the stuff listed above personally.

Got a Kindle Touch ordered. The $79 would be too much of a pain in the ass to use. I am excited I can hook this up to the iPod speakers and read books through text to speech while I play Warcraft :D. I was never a big reader (because of the fact that I just can't sit down with a book), but this will do nicely with the cheesy text to speech.

Also for those looking for a review of the new $79 kindle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs_cMYjW48Y&feature=feedu_more

bread's done
Back