For the love of god don't delete this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWazeleski

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Ok this is an essay for school that I need to print out, but the computers at school don't let me print or email. So I'm going to post my essay here (since this website isn't blocked) and print it out when I get home.

I think that it is better for an individual to grow up in a big city rather than a small town. A big city allows you to experience many types of different people and cultures. Also a big city can get you used to a busy lifestyle. As well as offering more possibilities and opportunities.
Large cities can be much better than small towns because of all the different opportunities they offer. In big cities there are more jobs available which opens up many different possibilities for people. Say you live in a small town designing little buildings and houses. Well in a big city you could get a job designing skyscrapers! Housing can be a big problem for people wanting to live in small towns, but in big cities there are numerous housing options and price ranges.
Living in a large city can get you used to the busy lifestyle that you’ll have to deal with later in life. For example, traffic and the fast paced commuting that exist in a big city ready you, to deal with more than the tractor going down a one way road in your little town. To expand on busy lifestyles, big cities always have different things going on. This means there are always new things to experience. Furthermore experiencing new stuff can always be a good thing.
The final reason living in a big city is better, is the fact that you get to experience many different types of people and cultures first hand. To expand, there are just more people in a big city. If you go to school in a small town where everyone is a white farmer, then that’s the only type of people you’ll ever be surrounded by. So the larger the city, the more types of people and culture will be available to you.
In conclusion, big cities are better to grow up in than small towns. One reason is the many different types of people and cultures you can experience. Another reason is how it can get you used to a busy lifestyle. The final reason is that it lets more possibilities and opportunities open up to you. For all these reasons and more, growing up in a big city is better than growing up in a small town.

Thanks, and PLEASE don't delete this!

use yousendit.com to email it to yourself. I couldn't get into my email from school but i could still get to yousendit and send the attachment to my email

Say you live in a small town designing little buildings and houses. Well in a big city you could get a job designing skyscrapers!

That's irrelevant to the topic of growing up in a small town vs. a big city.

The final reason living in a big city is better, is the fact that you get to experience many different types of people and cultures first hand.

As is this, each person in the small town could represent a different country. While a bigger population pretty much guarentees a more diverse group of cultures, it's not always the truth.

No floppy disk, and yousendit.com is blocked by the school's server. I could always just type it up later at home, but I'm a CAG and a LAG (Lazy Ass Gamer).

[quote name='MrWazeleski']Ok this is an essay for school that I need to print out, but the computers at school don't let me print or email. So I'm going to post my essay here (since this website isn't blocked) and print it out when I get home.

I think that it is better for an individual to grow up in a big city rather than a small town. A big city allows you to experience many types of different people and cultures. Also a big city can get you used to a busy lifestyle. As well as offering more possibilities and opportunities.
Large cities can be much better than small towns because of all the different opportunities they offer. In big cities there are more jobs available which opens up many different possibilities for people. Say you live in a small town designing little buildings and houses. Well in a big city you could get a job designing skyscrapers! Housing can be a big problem for people wanting to live in small towns, but in big cities there are numerous housing options and price ranges.
Living in a large city can get you used to the busy lifestyle that you’ll have to deal with later in life. For example, traffic and the fast paced commuting that exist in a big city ready you, to deal with more than the tractor going down a one way road in your little town. To expand on busy lifestyles, big cities always have different things going on. This means there are always new things to experience. Furthermore experiencing new stuff can always be a good thing.
The final reason living in a big city is better, is the fact that you get to experience many different types of people and cultures first hand. To expand, there are just more people in a big city. If you go to school in a small town where everyone is a white farmer, then that’s the only type of people you’ll ever be surrounded by. So the larger the city, the more types of people and culture will be available to you.
In conclusion, big cities are better to grow up in than small towns. One reason is the many different types of people and cultures you can experience. Another reason is how it can get you used to a busy lifestyle. The final reason is that it lets more possibilities and opportunities open up to you. For all these reasons and more, growing up in a big city is better than growing up in a small town.

Thanks, and PLEASE don't delete this![/QUOTE]
Haha only at Satellite High School. Dude get a Gmail account and use that to send yourself things like this next time. What teacher/class is this for anyways?

Mrs. Fratterola's English 3 class, I hate her to the uber max. So I'm skipping her class right now and surfing CAG, instead of showing up and getting a zero for this essay.

[quote name='Msia']Haha only at Satellite High School. Dude get a Gmail account and use that to send yourself things like this next time. What teacher/class is this for anyways?[/QUOTE]

Wait... that can't really be a high school essay can it?

[quote name='MrWazeleski']This is for an 11th grade Honors English class.[/QUOTE]
Just skip class, that shit essay is going to get you a 0 anyway.

[quote name='MrWazeleski']Mrs. Fratterola's English 3 class, I hate her to the uber max. So I'm skipping her class right now and surfing CAG, instead of showing up and getting a zero for this essay.[/QUOTE]

Because taking a zero for an essay is cool..? you're such a rebel, skipping class to talk with a bunch of nerds.

[quote name='MrWazeleski']This is for an 11th grade Honors English class.[/QUOTE]

If this is from an 11th grade Honors Class, education is really going to crap in this country.......

[quote name='Ace2001']If this is from an 11th grade Honors Class, education is really going to crap in this country.......[/QUOTE]

My guess is he heard "special ed" and thought that meant honors... because I know there is no way I would have ever had to do such an open-ended and terribly small paper in honors english.. and I'm quite sure noone writes like that and is admitted to honors english.

Living in a large city can get you used to the busy lifestyle that you’ll have to deal with later in life.

What if I continue to live in a small city for the rest of my life?

Furthermore experiencing new stuff can always be a good thing

It can always be? It is possible that something new will most certainly be good? Presenting: a contradiction.

Housing can be a big problem for people wanting to live in small towns, but in big cities there are numerous housing options and price ranges.

Ever tried to rent an apartment in Tokyo? NYC?

This essay reminds me of the "What I Want for Christmas" essay written by Ralphie in "A Christmas Story." Scary that this passes for an eleventh grade HONORS English essay.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']This essay reminds me of the "What I Want for Christmas" essay written by Ralphie in "A Christmas Story." Scary that this passes for an eleventh grade HONORS English essay.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't. He would have gotten an F even if he did pass it it.

That is, of course, assuming Florida's teaching standards aren't horrible.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']This essay reminds me of the "What I Want for Christmas" essay written by Ralphie in "A Christmas Story." Scary that this passes for an eleventh grade HONORS English essay.[/QUOTE]

LMAO!

XmasStory.jpg

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Give the kid a break. That essay is more coherent than 70% of the posts on this forum.

:D[/QUOTE]

The paper just needs a little more filler. Then it will suffice.

LMAO... that was a joke right? if this is a real essay for a real honor's english class then by all means DO NOT TURN IT IN. I wouldn't have turned this in for my 7th grade english class. Seriously. If it's a short answer, please write it in 15 minutes, use only your own limited knowlege (no research), and ony write three "paragraphs" then go for it.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Give the kid a break. That essay is more coherent than 70% of the posts on this forum.

:D[/QUOTE]

That's probably because 70% of the posts on this forum are from slidecage.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Allow me to offer my rebuttal[/QUOTE]:applause:

and for a high school honors class, didn't they teach you not to use "in conclusion" in your conclusion?!

When did teachers (especially in HONORS english) stop teaching the 5 paragraph method to paper composition?

1. Thesis paragraph ending with thesis statement.
2. Support 1
3. Support 2
4. Support 3
5. Conclusion

Citations often tend to help, and a bibliography and a title page tend to dress up a paper. It's rather surprising... I'd have had this paper returned with a 0 even back in 7th grade english.

[quote name='MrWazeleski']This is for an 11th grade Honors English class.[/QUOTE]That passes for an 11th grade honors ESSAY at your high school?
shit, I'm in 10th grade and "essay" at my school means a 3 page paper minimum, usually 4-5, and not just in english, in history as well,
and coming up in the 2nd semester, I have a 10 page paper that counts for both classes,

and next year (my 11th grade) every core class possible is going to be required to be AP level and above (yes, my school has a level higher than AP)

I'm amazed that something like that would pass in a 11th grade class room,
even a 9th grade class

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']That's what I was thinking, but I'm not actually sure that works. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Yep, it works. It's a good way to keep your PMs more organized if you have several PMs that would do better being one PM instead of being seperated.

I wrote a 16 page paper in 11th grade ap history. I just checked one of my old journals that we had to keep in school, and your writing level is about equal to a 5th grader. Don't worry though, it's not like most high schoolers ever read anyway, so you're probably in good company.

I think that it is better for an individual to grow up in a big city rather than a small town. A big city allows you to experience many types of different people and cultures

I get to meet the same type of characters in GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas and in high resolution too! Last but not least is the culture. One brand, one culture at the small town mom-and-pop store. Why settle for the same thing everytime when I can get a mixture of cultures by combining the different brands of yogurt (a choice only offered by big city supermarkets) together into a big pile of goo (just like the stuff coming out of the UT bio-rifle).

Also a big city can get you used to a busy lifestyle. As well as offering more possibilities and opportunities.

My rat race^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hbusy lifestyle consists mostly of running away from people who want to separate me and my money. And then there are some that want to separate my appendages from my torso. Crazy shit! The possibilities to come into harms way are virtually endless. The opportunities to escape (not always unscathed) are not as plentiful though. But so far, I've managed to survive so that I get to experience the same..err different shit the next day.

Large cities can be much better than small towns because of all the different opportunities they offer. In big cities there are more jobs available which opens up many different possibilities for people.

Small towns lack such thrilling jobs such as undercover narcotics officer, gang leader, emergency trauma triage nurse (yeah fresh blood!), and graveyard shift morgue attendant (yeah dried up blood!).

Living in a large city can get you used to the busy lifestyle that you’ll have to deal with later in life. For example, traffic and the fast paced commuting that exist in a big city ready you, to deal with more than the tractor going down a one way road in your little town.

Big city traffic consists of wreckless high speed rice rocket racers, driveby shootings, tipsy drunk drivers - you name it. I am really good at parking because that's all I do. Traffic is so bad that the interstate is actually one huge parking lot during peak driving..err..parking periods.

To expand on busy lifestyles, big cities always have different things going on. This means there are always new things to experience.

Big cities are just full of new experiences waiting to happen - muggings, burglaries, rape, exhibitionists, and carjackings to name a few. Where else can you receive free facial reconstruction in a dark alley? One thing I haven't experienced personally is murder. I want to save the best for last. Yeah, the best is yet to come.

[quote name='wilcat']I get to meet the same type of characters in GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas and in high resolution too! Last but not least is the culture. One brand, one culture at the small town mom-and-pop store. Why settle for the same thing everytime when I can get a mixture of cultures by combining the different brands of yogurt (a choice only offered by big city supermarkets) together into a big pile of goo (just like the stuff coming out of the UT bio-rifle).

My rat race^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hbusy lifestyle consists mostly of running away from people who want to separate me and my money. And then there are some that want to separate my appendages from my torso. Crazy shit! The possibilities to come into harms way are virtually endless. The opportunities to escape (not always unscathed) are not as plentiful though. But so far, I've managed to survive so that I get to experience the same..err different shit the next day.

Small towns lack such thrilling jobs such as undercover narcotics officer, gang leader, emergency trauma triage nurse (yeah fresh blood!), and graveyard shift morgue attendant (yeah dried up blood!).

Big city traffic consists of wreckless high speed rice rocket racers, driveby shootings, tipsy drunk drivers - you name it. I am really good at parking because that's all I do. Traffic is so bad that the interstate is actually one huge parking lot during peak driving..err..parking periods.

Big cities are just full of new experiences waiting to happen - muggings, burglaries, rape, exhibitionists, and carjackings to name a few. Where else can you receive free facial reconstruction in a dark alley? One thing I haven't experienced personally is murder. I want to save the best for last. Yeah, the best is yet to come.[/QUOTE]

I get the feeling you like small towns, with no connection to the outside world, and are filled with 100% europeans. However horribly written it was, the reasons weren't entirely bad.

[quote name='JSweeney']When did teachers (especially in HONORS english) stop teaching the 5 paragraph method to paper composition?

1. Thesis paragraph ending with thesis statement.
2. Support 1
3. Support 2
4. Support 3
5. Conclusion

Citations often tend to help, and a bibliography and a title page tend to dress up a paper. It's rather surprising... I'd have had this paper returned with a 0 even back in 7th grade english.[/QUOTE]

goddamnit, let's clear this up once and for all.

It is not the 5 paragraph essay. It is simply the Essay form, also known as the Sonata Form Essay
http://www.mta.ca/faculty/arts-letters/music/academics/guides/styleguide/outline.html

The three "support" pieces are actually the culimation of one argument for the thesis by way of honing and focusing evidence into a simple statment. The "conclusion" is not anything of the sort, but is rather a restatment of the thesis, using the newfound structure of *gasp* the essay to bring out and refresh the initial idea.

Much like... A sonata!

Wiki for your convienence

Don't mean to alarm all of you, but this EXACT same topic is one we use at the university I teach to test minimal English competency for entrance into the freshman comp courses. And yes, many don't pass it. Many, many schools barely teach how to connect paragraphs, let alone thought development. You did better than some of my students, dude.

Free advice, I'd hit more on the examples. Explain them in more detail, noting how they especially relate to experiences that simply cannot be had in a small town environment. This sounds like an expository essay, so you can probably bring in your personal experience, and I would do so. Obviously YOU think living in the big city is better, so use your experience to punctuate your points. Personal stuff writes easier, and it forms a connection with the reader.

Good luck, man.

[quote name='wilcat']I get to meet the same type of characters in GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas and in high resolution too! Last but not least is the culture. One brand, one culture at the small town mom-and-pop store. Why settle for the same thing everytime when I can get a mixture of cultures by combining the different brands of yogurt (a choice only offered by big city supermarkets) together into a big pile of goo (just like the stuff coming out of the UT bio-rifle).

Big cities are just full of new experiences waiting to happen - muggings, burglaries, rape, exhibitionists, and carjackings to name a few. Where else can you receive free facial reconstruction in a dark alley? One thing I haven't experienced personally is murder. I want to save the best for last. Yeah, the best is yet to come.[/QUOTE]

Bookmarked for later reference because it's true.

He needs to eliminates passives and he repeats a big city or whatever like 3 times. It needs comma(s) too. But I only read half of it and I'm bored.

[quote name='browneyedgal68']Don't mean to alarm all of you...[/QUOTE]

Too late. I am alarmed. What is the world coming to when university students can't connect paragraphs and coherently express their ideas?

[quote name='Vampyre611']Too late. I am alarmed. What is the world coming to when university students can't connect paragraphs and coherently express their ideas?[/QUOTE]

This guy is in High School honors english, 11th grade. It's not AP nor college (no offence OP).

[quote name='suko_32']This guy is in High School honors english, 11th grade. It's not AP nor college (no offence OP).[/QUOTE]

I was refering to this comment:

[quote name='browneyedgal68']Don't mean to alarm all of you, but this EXACT same topic is one we use at the university I teach to test minimal English competency for entrance into the freshman comp courses. And yes, many don't pass it. Many, many schools barely teach how to connect paragraphs, let alone thought development. You did better than some of my students, dude.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vampyre611']Too late. I am alarmed. What is the world coming to when university students can't connect paragraphs and coherently express their ideas?[/QUOTE]

I forget the question, but I had to take a similar writing test and I didn't do very well. The main problem I had was that I had taken a year off and hadn't written anything that required decent grammar in that time period. I had already written the college essay the year before, so it wasn't like I had recently wrote that. I knew I was totally fucking up with it, but I didn't have the time to start over and just had to keep continuing, trying to salvage what I could. The format was absolutely horrible, and I basically started off by arguing the same point 3 times, with slightly different wording. The head of the department thought it may have just been a bad test though, since everything else (my sat's and literature grades) indicated that I had excellent writing ability. He told me to just to talk to someone about it, so I'm not sure which type of english course they were going to stick me in (I would have been placed in the review class, but wanted to wait since it was so inconsistent with the high school info they recieved from me), or if they were going to have me do another writing exercise. I never did though, because the next day I got an acceptance from my 1st choice though (my first choice wasn't a u.s. school, and everything that could delay it did, which is why I was accepted so late).

wow maybe i just take my writing ability for granted. I can't imagine 'forgetting' how to write an essay but i am an English major, and have been writing essays as long as i can remember (it seems)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back