For those of you that have preordered stuff overseas...

TopsideKracker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I preordered the Castlevania steelbook from Zavvi.  I'm assuming I need to keep an eye on the exchange rate when its released so I know exactly how much I'm paying for it?  Preordering now doesn't lock in the current exchange rate, does it???

I preordered a few stuff but haven't from Zavi or one that does that. 

Foregin Amazon sites give you the USD total upon checkout and locks it in.  Also I don't think there were forex fees (cc I used at the time didn't have "no fees" as a bonus. discover does btw).  Other preorders were through small companies so they just used paypal which handles the conversion (free) and looks in at that amount.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, unfortunately i was only given a euro amount which is why i started to wonder. Paypal was an option but it said there would be an extra charge for going that route. Can't remember what the percentage was... might be worth canceling and redoing the order that way.

Anyone else ever deal with Zavvi or have any other advice?

EDIT:  Just checked... they charge an extra 1% to your order for using PayPal... equals something like $0.23. 

If PayPal locks in the rate and also covers the conversion fees then that seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've ordered from AmiAmi.  They charge when the product is available, so whatever the exchange from dollar-->yen at the time of product release, I get charged that much.

Just to be on the safe side, always be ready to pay more than initial

Well, I've ordered from AmiAmi. They charge when the product is available, so whatever the exchange from dollar-->yen at the time of product release, I get charged that much.

Just to be on the safe side, always be ready to pay more than initial
Out of curiosity, did you pay with a CC or paypal?

Thanks for the help.  I decided to cancel it and reorder using paypal. 

If there are any more of you out there that have experience with buying overseas and can offer any other help or advice, it would be appreciated.  I don't know that I really need any other advice, but since I've never bought anything outside of the U.S. I just want to make sure that I have everything covered. 

Just watch out for the shipping cost depending on how fast you want it.  I would always at least get a tracking number of some sort.

SAL - cheapest but will arrive between 2 weeks to months.  I've read a few stories where the packet shows up 2 months later.  It does have option for tracking number (aka register SAL)

EMS - expensive but will arrive withing 1-2 weeks, always come with tracking number (and insurance i think, not sure about it) 

Just watch out for the shipping cost depending on how fast you want it. I would always at least get a tracking number of some sort.

SAL - cheapest but will arrive between 2 weeks to months. I've read a few stories where the packet shows up 2 months later. It does have option for tracking number (aka register SAL)

EMS - expensive but will arrive withing 1-2 weeks, always come with tracking number (and insurance i think, not sure about it)
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not really worried about how fast I get this though, so cheap is the name of the game this time.

I don't recall any conversion fee when I used paypal. It's either something new or, Zavvi themselves threw that in.
It was something Zavvi tacked on when I went through checkout. Like I said, it was next to nothing and I would have gone that route at the beginning if I had paid attention to how little of a fee it was.

bread's done
Back