For You Pro Gamers: Mad Catz MLG Controller Pre-Order Deal!!!

Hmm, interesting. Wonder how this stacks up with the official Microsoft wired controller and the Razer one? Thanks for the post OP, I'll be on the look out for reviews when it comes out.

[quote name='XboxBlis']Listed at $99 but if you preorder it now, you can get it bundled with the Black Friday deals for a great deal of $82 + Free Shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/Offically-Lic...CQ1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321939576&sr=8-1

Just ordered it myself. It'll show the discounts on the last page before submitting your order.[/QUOTE]

thx OP. maybe i'm slow - but how do we bundle it together with BF deals to get it down to $82?

plus when's the date of release? Amz doesn't state the date.

i like the customization aspect of it, but just looks like a nice flashy 360 controller.

$99.99 = I'd rather buy an arcade stick for fighting games thou I am a pad player myself and a regular 360 controller for shooters.

I think they should do alot more marketing to get ppl interested if its good or not...wonder how many of team MCZ will be using it

[quote name='sTaTIx']$82 for a MadCrapz POS that is probably flawed and inferior to the official controllers. Gee, awesome deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you obviously have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Madcatz has been on top of their gaming controllers for a while, the TE is still the standard used at tourneys, though Hori has released some good sticks in the past year.

I doubt its a POS but 99 for a pad is way too much, for a 360 controller, if the buttons were customizable and was made for both 360 and ps3 then I could imagine justifying it better.

[quote name='kitsunisan']Yeah, you obviously have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Madcatz has been on top of their gaming controllers for a while, the TE is still the standard used at tourneys, though Hori has released some good sticks in the past year.[/QUOTE]

What's the TE?

All I'm speaking of is based on my previous experience with Mad Catz controllers, and the fact that none of their controllers ever get above the 3.5 stars mark on Amazon. Every controller they make seems to have people complaining about deadzone or input lag. If I buy an official Dualshock 3, I know for sure that it won't have problems like deadzone, drifting, or input lag.

Even if this controller were on the level of an official Sony or Micrsoft controller in terms of build-quality and precision (which is a big if), it would still only be worth $50 at the most.

[quote name='sTaTIx']What's the TE?

All I'm speaking of is based on my previous experience with Mad Catz controllers, and the fact that none of their controllers ever get above the 3.5 stars mark on Amazon. Every controller they make seems to have people complaining about deadzone or input lag. If I buy an official Dualshock 3, I know for sure that it won't have problems like deadzone, drifting, or input lag.

Even if this controller were on the level of an official Sony or Micrsoft controller in terms of build-quality and precision (which is a big if), it would still only be worth $50 at the most.[/QUOTE]

He's talking about the Tournament Edition Arcade stick. This actually was a quality stick.
Everything else Madcatz has done (even after their recent comeback) hasn't been that great in my opinion though

[quote name='sTaTIx']Even if this controller were on the level of an official Sony or Micrsoft controller in terms of build-quality and precision (which is a big if), it would still only be worth $50 at the most.[/QUOTE]

Official controllers are fine if you are in the scrub - decent player level of gamer.

Fighting games are completely unplayable on official controllers. It's not even an option.

FPS are doable, but you get so much more precision with third party analog sticks (or adding third party extensions to the MS controller)

I love my Hori EX2. Bought it for the turbo, but now I use it exclusively even if I don't need the turbo. (there are better high end controllers out there but for $30 the EX2 is the best bang for buck IMO)

Also, it's really the modular option on this that drives the price up. Props to Mad Katz for offering something a little different.

How do you do this? I preordered a while ago but would like to get it for 82 cause well who wouldnt if your interested in this

I would never spend that much on a controller (fighting games are a different story and well I can see spending $100+ on a joystick). If I was playing a game where one of these $100 controllers would be needed to make my skill level better, I would just play on PC with mouse/keyboard.

[quote name='Blade']...Pro gamers and Major League Gaming. Lulz.[/QUOTE]

You're ignorant. Starcraft 2, for me is my favorite MLG sport to watch. Did a Tampa barcraft last weekend for MLG, 75+ ppl showed up to a reserved lounge, 4 tvs and a full bar. It was great fun.

And, can someone explain the $82 thing to me? Will this be on BF or something? And just have the pre-order guarantee?

I've been banned from using advanced controllers because my gaming skill is already so high. It's a tough break but it is what it is.

[quote name='sTaTIx']What's the TE?

Even if this controller were on the level of an official Sony or Micrsoft controller in terms of build-quality and precision (which is a big if), it would still only be worth $50 at the most.[/QUOTE]

5 stars right here

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-FightStick-Tournament-Xbox-360/dp/B0038KUNII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322068305&sr=8-1

I like the idea behind this controller a lot, but I'm not....uh, pro enough to need a wired connection. And the price is a little ridiculous.

Sell it for $50 in a wireless option (which I understand is Microsoft's fault here) with a known-to-work dpad and I'd be game.

well you can swap the d-pad to xbox or ps3 style. and the sticks to xbox or ps3 sticks haha

anyway how do I get it down to $82? I want to order this for a buddy of mine.

Question. if you need a special, more advanced controller than everyone else playing to be good doesn't that mean you aren't very good to begin with?

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Question. if you need a special, more advanced controller than everyone else playing to be good doesn't that mean you aren't very good to begin with?[/QUOTE]

Here's a similar example to help you understand. Let's say Michael Phelps decides to grow out his hair, body hair, and wear floppy tourist swim shorts. He may still be competitive in swimming competitions, but those fractions of a second his reduced hydrodynamics he has now will have cost him gold medals and maybe placing third or fourth instead.

Take that scenario and apply it to this controller. Those fractions of seconds that analog stick deadzones, wireless input lag, and button response time all add up to someone walking away victorious or not. Fighting games, certain FPS, racing games, etc. at pro levels can be decided by very small units of time.

If you're not a "pro" gamer or professional swimmer in the first place, you'll still suck, but you'll suck a little less using the methods that these competitors do.

Make this dual console & PC, with adjustable sensitivity on the acceleration hardware side and I'm sold.

Not a pro, or even that good, but I hate changing games and having to re-internalize the cursor acceleration and speed for each game. Let alone the sensitivity/resistance difference b/w the 360 and PS3. Gimme one wired solution and you can have your $100.

One console only? Ben's stayin in my pocket.

I preordered it just to see what would happen and the discount was not applied. What's going on OP? Is this suppose to activate at another time or what?

If the analog sticks did not wear out like the official ones and drift and same quality as ms ones i would so buy these. But my past experiences non stick purchases since ps1 days mad catz is far from being decent. They often come with already messed up triggers or within weeks people say buttons or something goes on them.

I am super interested but the mad catz name pushed me to wait on these. Controllers non sticks are 2nd rate compared to official. But what i see looks nice but we will see! I want good analog sticks sick of buying a new ms controller every few months cause it drifts up left or right it sucks for games like hockey it stops and goes when you skate downwards if it drifts upwards... This is from experience and i buy to much junk to test out and mad catz for non stick stuff is D- right now in my books. Wow turbo controller yes it is nice but the analog sticks are tiny and hell i can not even put my fps freaks on them. The dead zones on the sticks suck anyways compared to ms brand new ones.

[quote name='DS9']Mad Katz = poor quality from my experiences and over priced.[/QUOTE]

New ownership, new people, new company, same name.

Their fight sticks have been great in recent years.

[quote name='CyReN']New ownership, new people, new company, same name.

Their fight sticks have been great in recent years.[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about recently and the fightsticks.

I bought SF4 Arcade sticks 2x and I had to do that washer fix since the joystick rubs the contacts underneath and was known problem.

I bought 2c TE's sticks and had to RMA both of them due to dieing and not powering on anymore.

I had a pad and it would not center after being broken in after usage, like a slight limp.

[quote name='kitsunisan']This pretty much invalidates anything you have to say in this thread.[/QUOTE]

lulz. winning , this one is.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Question. if you need a special, more advanced controller than everyone else playing to be good doesn't that mean you aren't very good to begin with?[/QUOTE]

This.

The Michael Phelps analogy is a terrible one. It would be more like if he decided to use the same type of suit that other swimmers wear, rather than the high tech one him and several others wear.

As long as all the players at a tournament use the same controller it doesn't matter how good it is. Even if they just used the official MS ones, it would still be a level playing field, and skill would one out. Again, if the equipment playing field is EQUAL, skill will win out. You don't need to give everyone $100 controllers for that to happen.

Bottom line: if MLG Player A needs this controller to beat Player B (who let's say uses a standard MS one), then Player A isn't better than B; he just has better equipment.

That is not true at all. If you give everyone bad controllers all you do is increase the amount of randomness in the competition. The entire point for these high end products is that the inputs are more precise. Why should someone use a cheap 40 dollar stick when they can use a higher quality one for 150? If you are playing at home with some friends you may not care, but when there is money / pride on the line having your inputs come out smoothly and accurately is a big deal.

The Michael Phelps analogy is accurate. You could have everyone wearing normal beach swim wear but that will only weigh them down and hinder their skill at swimming. These controllers are not the high end products that will forever change the fate of videogames, they are simply what is considered tournament standard. They fall within the rules and are accessible to everyone at a reasonable price. The same goes with many other sports like Golf and Tennis. They use the best of the best equipment in order to elevate their sport to the highest level they possibly can within the rules. If this product isn't for you that is fine, but to come in and start saying that you should use average quality equipment in a competitive setting is absurd.

As for MadCatz quality, they have come a long way from where they were in the past. Ever since Markman (A very well known stick maker in the fighting game scene) joined, the company has been excellent. Yes there have been some TE sticks with technical problems, but the beauty of it all is that Markman stands 100% behind his products. If you have any kind of problem their customer service takes care of you. My TE sticks PCB (1st gen) stopped working and even though I couldn't locate the receipt I got from way back they offered to replace my stick or send me a brand new PCB to install myself. Seeing as a new PCB would be faster I had them send it to me and now my stick is working like new.

There is a reason MadCatz products have begun to become the tournament standard in the competitive fighting game world. Markman knows what he is doing and I would be very surprised if these pads did not live up to his words. I will be buying 2 of these (360/ps3) for tournaments in 3d fighters. I already own a TE for 2d play.

[edit] Also equipment usable in tournaments is regulated so if someone brings in super ultra macro and turbo stick it won't be allowed. It's one thing to make your controls more precise, it's another to have the controller do things for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ceirnian']That is not true at all. If you give everyone bad controllers all you do is increase the amount of randomness in the competition. The entire point for these high end products is that the inputs are more precise. Why should someone use a cheap 40 dollar stick when they can use a higher quality one for 150? If you are playing at home with some friends you may not care, but when there is money / pride on the line having your inputs come out smoothly and accurately is a big deal.

The Michael Phelps analogy is accurate. You could have everyone wearing normal beach swim wear but that will only weigh them down and hinder their skill at swimming. These controllers are not the high end products that will forever change the fate of videogames, they are simply what is considered tournament standard. They fall within the rules and are accessible to everyone at a reasonable price. The same goes with many other sports like Golf and Tennis. They use the best of the best equipment in order to elevate their sport to the highest level they possibly can within the rules. If this product isn't for you that is fine, but to come in and start saying that you should use average quality equipment in a competitive setting is absurd.[/QUOTE]

If the equipment field is equal then the best players will win; regardless of equipment.

Where did I say everyone should just use crappy equipment? I said that everyone should use the SAME equipment.

As for the Phelps analogy, it isn't accurate. He used BETTER equipment than his competitors. I agree with you that they shouldn't use trash equipment, but someone shouldn't be able to compete against other people while using clearly superior equipment to what they have.

As for precision, if it's such a massive issue where MLG gamers are unable to compete against one-another using standard controllers, then they should completely abandon controller based FPSes and just go mouse and keyboard.

wouldn't it be better to just get that crazy xbox controller kit that makes your gamepad look like something out of the matrix?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']It's funny watching super nerds yell at regular nerds.[/QUOTE]

you know what's funny is that from my experience, the gamers that play games competitively are typically less "nerdy" than the average nerd that plays a ton of a different games and sucks at them

[quote name='The Long Haired Bard']This.

The Michael Phelps analogy is a terrible one. It would be more like if he decided to use the same type of suit that other swimmers wear, rather than the high tech one him and several others wear.

As long as all the players at a tournament use the same controller it doesn't matter how good it is. Even if they just used the official MS ones, it would still be a level playing field, and skill would one out. Again, if the equipment playing field is EQUAL, skill will win out. You don't need to give everyone $100 controllers for that to happen.

Bottom line: if MLG Player A needs this controller to beat Player B (who let's say uses a standard MS one), then Player A isn't better than B; he just has better equipment.[/QUOTE]

Thats not the reality. The phelps analogy is valid. If you have choice in equipment for a competition then you should always go for the best equipment possible. Sports allows this so why not games. Basketball players can pick their shoes, olympic swimmers can pick their speedos, and volleyball players can pick their bikinis :D

People that compete at this high of a level don't suck. This is made for them. I've competed in several genres many years ago. I can still notice small things like how much input lag a tv has even though it may only be a frame or two. It all makes a difference. Sports is better when the athlete is able to perform at their optimal levels without any type of resistance. If we really want a level playing field then perhaps MLG should furnish all of their attendees with an option of using this controller or the standard.

This thing looks great. If it had a wireless option then i would definitely buy it at $99.

[quote name='The Long Haired Bard']]
Where did I say everyone should just use crappy equipment? I said that everyone should use the SAME equipment.

As for the Phelps analogy, it isn't accurate. He used BETTER equipment than his competitors. I agree with you that they shouldn't use trash equipment, but someone shouldn't be able to compete against other people while using clearly superior equipment to what they have.
][/QUOTE]

-Default pads are crap. The entire reason this pad was made was because people were not happy with what was currently on the market. $100 for a controller is very reasonable as many competitive players will easily spend more just in travel costs. Not everyone likes the same kind of stick or controller so why would you force people to all use the same thing? As long as everything is within the rules there is no problem.

-Phelps analogy is correct. Everyone is allowed to use the same gear so by the rules it was ok. The reason it was later banned was because the suits some of the competitors were using actually assisted in their swimming. World records were being broken because of how good the suit was. The LZR swimming suit was compared to using drugs because of how drastically it was changing the world of swimming. They put a stop to it so that swimming did not turn into a giant technology race. Either get the best swim suit (which were very expensive in comparison to a normal swim suit, about 12x as much I think it was) or basically concede defeat.

If you want to compare the LZR suit to a controller the closest you could manage is a stick/pad with macros and turbo activated. Macros would allow you to press a button and perform difficult combos or actions every time without fail and turbo would... well I don't really want to delve deeper into this.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']you know what's funny is that from my experience, the gamers that play games competitively are typically less "nerdy" than the average nerd that plays a ton of a different games and sucks at them[/QUOTE]

Yeah, right.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']It's funny watching super nerds yell at regular nerds.[/QUOTE]

It's funny watching idiots open their mouths, amusing things come out.

bread's done
Back