FORGET BLOCKBUSTER, IM HEADED TO MY LOCAL LIBRARY........

mgriff

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
No Joke, My Library, you can take out sorta new dvds, videos, ps2 games and xbox games, and BEST OF ALL ITS FREE and YOU CAN RESERVE STUFF ONLINE

I Just Reserved Ratchet and Clank UYA
Killzone
NFSU 2

I go the best friggen library EVER.

I work at one ^_^
I get first dips at all the new dvds ^___^.

oh, and you can reserve other library's games and pick it up at your own lib.

[quote name='notfromtexas']I can rent DVDS, but it costs 2 bucks for 3 days, not a bad deal i guess.[/quote]

You have to pay to rent DVDs from the library? Our local library carries DVDs, but you don't have to pay to take them out. I think it's 3 to 5 days or something like that and it's $.50 every day that it's late. It's been a while since I've been there, considering I owe a bunch in late fees anyways. Oops.. :oops:

[quote name='mgriff']No Joke, My Library, you can take out sorta new dvds, videos, ps2 games and xbox games, and BEST OF ALL ITS FREE and YOU CAN RESERVE STUFF ONLINE

I Just Reserved Ratchet and Clank UYA
Killzone
NFSU 2

I go the best friggen library EVER.[/quote]

NYC library?

where... just curious.

[quote name='soxfan4525']I can only rent dvd's and cd's at my library[/quote]

likewise.

wow renting games from the library would be soo awesome. the closest thing that they have at our library are the strategy guides or math blaster for pc.

That's pretty crazy that your library has PS2 and Xbox games.

Personally I think a library should spend their money on books or other things necessary to keep the library running. But if mine had them I'd certainly take advantage of it.

Video games at a library, that's somewhat depressing. I mean kids will be going there to borrow games rather than books. My library has separate computers w/internet access for kids and all I do is see them play web based games. It's like a free arcade for them.

Isn't the library afraid of theft?

[quote name='jngx80']Video games at a library, that's somewhat depressing. I mean kids will be going there to borrow games rather than books. My library has separate computers w/internet access for kids and all I do is see them play web based games. It's like a free arcade for them.

Isn't the library afraid of theft?[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.... tis sad. :cry:

SCORE!!!!! rented both Neo contra, and NFSUG2 at my library for free, F blockbuster :)

no not really!!!! but always tommrow

My library used to have a handful of NES games back in its heyday but haven't had anything like that for at least 15 years

That's weird, because I actually had a dream about a library with rentable video games recently.

Pathetic?

...I know.

[quote name='ChrisXE']I thought the goal of the library was to get more kids to read rather then play games?[/quote]

President of Library: Hey, let's go put some games in the libraries to bring kids in! Maybe they will see the books and borrow them, to read them!

*two days later*

"Well, the games brought kids in, but they aren't reading.
...Let's put in game guides!"

:lol:

My local library has been doing this for awhile, I think they charge a small rental fee. They do have some video games, but they are all old sport titles that people have donated to the library.

Why don't you use the library for what it's for...
TO READ...
Now put down the blasted controller and get some books on tape and broaden your horizons...
-Goatman

i am so jealous... your library has game rentals?!!

my library is not bad with tons and tons of dvds and vids but absolutely no games

It's hard to imagine a public library trying to justify buying $49.99 games. Then again, I never really understood libraries that rented out VHS tapes, CDs or DVDs. I can see educational programming or books on tape, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a library to promote video and audio entertainment. These are the kinds of media that keep kids from reading (rather than encouraging them).

Err, you guys know that some of the books in libraries are much less educational than any video game, right? Being able to get Ratchet & Clank at a library really isn't any different than being able to get a Danielle Steel novel. Both are primarily for entertainment.

Don't think of libraries so much as having educational materials as having recorded material in general. Books happen to be the means for recording information that have been cheapest and most widely available for the past 400 years or so. A good library will catalog a wide variety of material for preservation for future generations.

It does seem weird to me that a library would have video games. While I would take advantage of a library with video games, wouldn't the $50 be more useful somewhere else?

Yes well a danielle steel novel, may not qualify as "good" books. It is a book, and thats what a library is for. I have no problem with a library renting books on tape/cd, and educational, documentary, or possibly some foreign films. But to rent a blockbuster movie like spiderman 2, or gta, no no way in hell, and if I found out my local library did, I would raise hell (we donate alot of time and money to the local library system).

Man, the closest thing we got at the local library to video games is issues of EGM, Nintendo Power and Gamepro. Wish we'd get games to check out.

[quote name='supermariomelee']Man, the closest thing we got at the local library to video games is issues of EGM, Nintendo Power and Gamepro. Wish we'd get games to check out.[/quote]

At least your library still gets videogame magazines. Mines got rid of them a couple of years ago...

i like to hope that games will become more like interactive films and because of this hope think they should be a part of library collections. anyone else like icons on g4tech tv? i wish it was more doc and less ad but i am watching g4techtv...

wow i didnt know libraries had gaming mags, video games or dvd movies and such.... i hope there are some where i live that have that stuff... just gotta find where they are now...

Surprised to find that my library system carries games. You're in luck if you have a PS2:

Gamecube:
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
LotR: Two Towers
LotR: Return of the King
Super Smash Bros Melee

Nintendo 64:
Paper Mario

Playstation:
Final Fantasy IX
Dragon Warrior VII
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Playstation 2:
Spider-Man
Simpsons Road Rage
Final Fantasy X
X-Men: Next Dimension
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4
Finding Nemo
NBA Live 2004
Madden 2004
Need for Speed Underground
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Final Fantasy X2
NBA Street 2
ESPN NFL Football
SSX 3
NCAA 2005
Jak & Dexter
Jak 2
Baldur's Gate
Dance Dance Revolution
Katamari Damacy
The Incredibles
Ratchet & Clank
Shadow of Destiny

XBox:
Spider-Man 2

I think it's a misunderstanding of the purpose of libraries to say they exist to make kids read. They exist to make sure everyone is the community has access to media, broadly defined. Blockbuster/Netflix/Gamefly/Best Buy is great if you have disposable income. Libraries look out for those who don't.

If you look through the list: No shooters, no GTA, no-non fantasy violence. I would find it hard to argue that a library shouldn't have Prince of Persia: Sands of Time or Katamari Damacy. (Now, if they'd also loan me a PS2 so I could play those games ...).

bread's done
Back