Free 6-Month Blockbuster Total Access

apathylad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm not very familiar with Total Access, but I learned about this promotion over at NeoGaf.

You signup here:

https://t.co/s3I4dXMR

It will ask for a form of payment, and you can check the expiration date in your account, which will probably be in January 2013.

The NeoGaf thread will likely answer some questions you may have. It's one game or movie at a time. The selection seems very limited, but hey, a 6-month trial is very good.

UPDATE:

Okay, the deal originally stated that we would get unlimited rentals for six months after we sign up. Unfortunately, the service seems to have limited this deal to two rentals per mail and two instore exchanges per month. Some CAGs have said they contacted customer service about this, and I still haven't gotten my third shipment, so it looks like it may be true. It's a bummer, but at least we still get to use the service for the six months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed up wish it was like the 2 month one where you could get multiple items out at a time. But then again they rarely sent me things so didn't matter much lol.

Man either there site has gotten work or they are getting hammered..

Thanks, free is free I guess. My account says next billing statement is in January, so that's good. Let's see if they have any games i'm interested in.

Thanks OP, I signed up earlier today. I doubt very much that I'll end up receiving a game through this service. Their stock must pale in comparison to Gamefly. At least blurays are available at no cost, so good enough for me.

Well, I gave it a try and it's showing January as my renewal date too. Hopefully they won't do a bait and switch.

I am sure this will sound greedy/ crazy, but when you click on change plan under the my account button, it gives you the option to switch to 2 or 3 out at a time. The text reads:

On changing your plan:

• If you change your plan, the new price will go into effect on your next billing date.
  • If you switch to a plan with fewer discs at a time, this change will go into effect on your next billing date.
  • If you switch to a plan with more discs at a time, we'll send you additional discs from your Queue right away. You won't be billed until your next billing date.
So, if you were to change your plan to 3 out at a time, that seems to imply you wouldn't be charged the new total until your next billing date (which is January 19 for me). Just wanted to check if anyone has tried this or not.

[quote name='douglasmcc']I am sure this will sound greedy/ crazy, but when you click on change plan under the my account button, it gives you the option to switch to 2 or 3 out at a time. The text reads:

On changing your plan:

• If you change your plan, the new price will go into effect on your next billing date.
  • If you switch to a plan with fewer discs at a time, this change will go into effect on your next billing date.
  • If you switch to a plan with more discs at a time, we'll send you additional discs from your Queue right away. You won't be billed until your next billing date.
So, if you were to change your plan to 3 out at a time, that seems to imply you wouldn't be charged the new total until your next billing date (which is January 19 for me). Just wanted to check if anyone has tried this or not.[/QUOTE]

Im not sure if someone actually tried this or if they heard it would be this way, but I'd be very careful. Read back through the thread. It seems it is likely (at least) that you will be charged the higher rate for the very next month - not in January.

[quote name='io']Im not sure if someone actually tried this or if they heard it would be this way, but I'd be very careful. Read back through the thread. It seems it is likely (at least) that you will be charged the higher rate for the very next month - not in January.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm pretty sure they would charge you as the deal was specifically only for one game/dvd out. But be my guest and try it out.

[quote name='douglasmcc']I am sure this will sound greedy/ crazy, but when you click on change plan under the my account button, it gives you the option to switch to 2 or 3 out at a time. The text reads:

On changing your plan:

So, if you were to change your plan to 3 out at a time, that seems to imply you wouldn't be charged the new total until your next billing date (which is January 19 for me). Just wanted to check if anyone has tried this or not.[/QUOTE]

Eh...I don't want to risk it.

[quote name='io']Im not sure if someone actually tried this or if they heard it would be this way, but I'd be very careful. Read back through the thread. It seems it is likely (at least) that you will be charged the higher rate for the very next month - not in January.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they will charge you asap for the updated price since someone on slickdeals tried it and was unsuccessful.

[quote name='shady520']Yeah they will charge you asap for the updated price since someone on slickdeals tried it and was unsuccessful.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update. I was going to try it, but figured since the majority of the movies/games I have listed are short to long wait, 2 more of nothing was not worth the risk. Since, if I get a couple of free rentals over the next 6 months, it will be worth it.

On changing your plan:

You can always put in a VC # with a limit and see if it accepts it.

I got a DVD that they shipped on Monday today - so that's not too bad. Only 1 day longer than Netflix. And yay! It is what I had asked for (well, 2nd, after my "Short Wait" game).

Holy frickin' crap. Went ahead and signed up, I could care less if it's Blockbuster, this is one hell of a deal. I have no idea what I want to rent but I'll just queue random crap and I'll be like "oh yeah" when I get it. Thanks a ton, OP.

took about 24 hours, but my first movie has shipped now too. I figure for sure I would somehow get rejected. I wonder if it becomes worth it for them if even 10% of the people forget to cancel and have to pay $10 once before cancelling the service. Wild.

[quote name='berzirk']I wonder if it becomes worth it for them if even 10% of the people forget to cancel and have to pay $10 once before cancelling the service. Wild.[/QUOTE]

I think that's what they're banking on.

After finally browsing the full bluray selection, I'm pleasantly surprised at how much they have available. Rome Season 1, Disc 1 BR is already on the way.

I've had an available game in my queue for 24 hours now. Are they supposed to send them in order, should I move the available one to the 1st position?

[quote name='Brash_Attack']Man, 20 games in my queue and not a single one of them is "available now". You'd think you would bulk up your inventory a bit when running a promotion like this.[/QUOTE]

Their inventory is and has always been like that. You'd think when Dish bought Blockbuster they would improve things but they've managed to get worse.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']I've had an available game in my queue for 24 hours now. Are they supposed to send them in order, should I move the available one to the 1st position?[/QUOTE]
The last 20 or so of ANY "available" games probably got nabbed by people who signed up faster than us... I'm pretty sure their "warehouse" is just the trunk of an old Caddie.

[quote name='Woocls']The last 20 or so of ANY "available" games probably got nabbed by people who signed up faster than us... I'm pretty sure their "warehouse" is just the trunk of an old Caddie.[/QUOTE]

Lol, that sounds about right.

I added 25 games to my queue upon signing up and only two of them said available. Today they shipped Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, which was listed as 'Short Wait'. Surprised they shipped it over the available games, but I'm not gonna complain. :cool:

Wow, how did I not see this sooner?!? I've got 1 B&M location left near me, just gotta take the long way home from work though. lol

• Next Billing Date:
    January 20,2013
Thanks OP!!

Edit: lol 1 of the 24 games in my queue across all 3 consoles is available.

If I get a blu ray or video game in the mail, can i just go to any blockbuster brick and mortar store and swap out my in the mail rental for anything in the store?

[quote name='dios']If I get a blu ray or video game in the mail, can i just go to any blockbuster brick and mortar store and swap out my in the mail rental for anything in the store?[/QUOTE]

You can although any game that is more than $0.99 per day will only be discounted (I think by $0.99 have not tried it myself), but $0.99 games, DVDs, and Blurays are all free to exchange. So if the store had something you wanted and the site has a long wait you could request an available title from the site and exchange it in store once it arrives.

How strange. I haven't rented games from a brick and mortar store in a long time. I thought all dvds, blur ays and games had a flat rate pricing. Some games cost more than others to rent?

[quote name='dios']How strange. I haven't rented games from a brick and mortar store in a long time. I thought all dvds, blur ays and games had a flat rate pricing. Some games cost more than others to rent?[/QUOTE]

Yes they are tiered just like the movies, older games less in demand games (demon's souls or Uncharted) for instance are $0.99 while games newer and hot titles (skyrim, MW3) are $2.99. They also have a $1.99 price point but I am not sure what goes into that range much because I do not bother to look at the gaming section much.

Hmm interesting. Thanks for the info im fine renting older games. Ill check out my blockbuster later on today when my blu-ray arrives so I can make a swap.

[quote name='shady520']Yes they are tiered just like the movies, older games less in demand games (demon's souls or Uncharted) for instance are $0.99 while games newer and hot titles (skyrim, MW3) are $2.99. They also have a $1.99 price point but I am not sure what goes into that range much because I do not bother to look at the gaming section much.[/QUOTE]

No wonder they're going out of business. That's utter bullshit.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']No wonder they're going out of business. That's utter bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that and the fact that if I had actually paid for a Total Access subscription to find that ZERO of the games are available out of the 20 I added to my queue, I'd be asking for my money back.

Blockbuster has a chance to avoid going completely belly up but I don't see them doing it.

Folks who are getting stuff shipped already: Are you getting emails letting you know they've shipped? I still haven't received a single email from Blockbuster since signing up.

[quote name='Brash_Attack']Yeah, that and the fact that if I had actually paid for a Total Access subscription to find that ZERO of the games are available out of the 20 I added to my queue, I'd be asking for my money back.

Blockbuster has a chance to avoid going completely belly up but I don't see them doing it.[/QUOTE]
no kidding... I would be on the phone immediately asking for my money back and suggesting that they rethink this whole program. As is the best it could be is a free program tacked on to some sort of in store rental program.

Also, I got my 1 available game... Dungeon Siege 3 for PS3. I'm already regretting adding it. I think I'd rather have just waited for any other game in my que but free is free.

Just noticed they already shipped me a game after joining last night. Donkey Kong Country Returns it was #2 in my list and wasn't showing as available like the #1 game in list was and still is. Haha that's fine with me it's what I woulda preferred anyway since I literally re-bought a Wii yesterday and been itching to play it. :D

[quote name='Brash_Attack']
Folks who are getting stuff shipped already: Are you getting emails letting you know they've shipped? I still haven't received a single email from Blockbuster since signing up.[/QUOTE]

Nope - I had asked about this a few days ago so I'm glad its not just me.

I received and already mailed back a movie and not a single email so far. Not even one acknowledging me signing up for their service. How odd...

[quote name='io']Nope - I had asked about this a few days ago so I'm glad its not just me.

I received and already mailed back a movie and not a single email so far. Not even one acknowledging me signing up for their service. How odd...[/QUOTE]
Yeah I thought that was really strange... but as long as I get the games/movies without getting charged I'm ok with it. I keep checking my spam folder thinking maybe that's where they're going but nothing at all.

[quote name='JohnnyS5']So are all the games, in store, at least .99? Nothing free?[/QUOTE]

There are 3 tiers of game prices in store $0.99, $1.99, and $2.99. The games that are priced $0.99 in store can be exchanged with the total access plan for free, the others ($1.99 & $2.99) you will have to pay the difference if you want to rent them with your exchanges.

bread's done
Back