Free 6-Month Blockbuster Total Access

apathylad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm not very familiar with Total Access, but I learned about this promotion over at NeoGaf.

You signup here:

https://t.co/s3I4dXMR

It will ask for a form of payment, and you can check the expiration date in your account, which will probably be in January 2013.

The NeoGaf thread will likely answer some questions you may have. It's one game or movie at a time. The selection seems very limited, but hey, a 6-month trial is very good.

UPDATE:

Okay, the deal originally stated that we would get unlimited rentals for six months after we sign up. Unfortunately, the service seems to have limited this deal to two rentals per mail and two instore exchanges per month. Some CAGs have said they contacted customer service about this, and I still haven't gotten my third shipment, so it looks like it may be true. It's a bummer, but at least we still get to use the service for the six months.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jackovasaurus']No wonder they're going out of business. That's utter bullshit.[/QUOTE]
It wasnt like this until the the last big round of closings last year, they closed 2 of the 3 stores near me and when I went to the last store standing I noticed this tiered pricing.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']So, is the tiered pricing per day? If so, that's just bananas.[/QUOTE]

Yep. That is per night. I can't believe I am typing this but I miss the days of a 5 day rental for $9 at BBV.

Not one email since I joined last Friday. Finally got the 1 movie available out of 23 I have in my queue delivered today (gave up hope on an actual game coming, all 10 that I have listed before the movies are long wait). Netflix takes 2 days from the date I mail back a movie to get one back in my mailbox, it looks like it will be a around a week turnaround for Blockbuster. Anyone have a better experience with them or am I just spoiled with Netflix?

[quote name='shady520']There are 3 tiers of game prices in store $0.99, $1.99, and $2.99. The games that are priced $0.99 in store can be exchanged with the total access plan for free, the others ($1.99 & $2.99) you will have to pay the difference if you want to rent them with your exchanges.[/QUOTE]

Totally worth it for me if I find a game I like that takes forever to beat. Since I signed up online do I just go in store and just show them the game or do they check my account online through their computer?

Awesome I got Portal 2 coming to me. For some stupid reason, I always talked myself out of buying it, but since it's not that long of a game, I'm perfectly happy with just a FREE rental. Thanks again guys!

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']Totally worth it for me if I find a game I like that takes forever to beat. Since I signed up online do I just go in store and just show them the game or do they check my account online through their computer?[/QUOTE]

Just go in store with the item you got in the mail with an id/license, look for the game you want and bring it to the register. If you do not have an in store blockbuster account you will need to sign up for one (free for signing up and just gives you access to rent items but a valid credit/debit card and id/license is needed) and then they will allow you to exchange it.

got my first disc, and it had the wrong movie inside, lol. Reported the problem online, and they're shipping out (hopefully) the correct movie as soon as possible.

I assume I'm supposed to send the wrong disc back as soon as possible, right? Or am I supposed to wait for the correct one to arrive first, and then ship them back out together? (there were instructions online, but I can't find them anymore...)

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']got my first disc, and it had the wrong movie inside, lol. Reported the problem online, and they're shipping out (hopefully) the correct movie as soon as possible.

I assume I'm supposed to send the wrong disc back as soon as possible, right? Or am I supposed to wait for the correct one to arrive first, and then ship them back out together? (there were instructions online, but I can't find them anymore...)[/QUOTE]

Keep it. Send it back. It's not in the queue anymore. Blockbuster is so fucked up right now. They don't care.

Yeah, I canceled this service a few months back. I had jumped on thinking, "Wow, games and movies for cheaper than Netflix AND Gamefly?!"

The movie part isn't terrible, but I had 25 games in my queue. All of them would change constantly from short wait to long wait. It wasn't worth the money anymore.

Wow, I got my first email from them! It's the one confirming my subscription plan. So, at least I know they have the right email... Now, to check and make sure my plan didn't change.

So I have a bunch of old Wii games on my queue, and they showed Mario Tennis 'At Home', but a day later, they showed Kirby Epic Yarn 'At Home'.

Wonder what's gonna show up.

I happened upon this same deal with blockbuster 5 or 6 years ago accidentally. A buddy of mine worked at BBV and convinced me to sign up for the 1 month free trial (back then it was like 3 movies at a time and you could swap them in store for a free rental.) As the free trial month was ending, I logged in to cancel the subscription. It went through the usual "are you sure you want to cancel?" , "are you really sure?", "how about we give you another month for free to think about it?" Well, I said yes to the extra month. But then I looked at my account info and in the "Next Billing Date" it had a date that was exactly 6 months in the future.

Funny to see it happening again years later.

LOL @ Blockbuster

This is a promotion with Dell yet they have no system in place to prove you are a valid Dell customer claiming your trial. Just a direct link that now have been posted everywhere for everybody to take advantage of. Seriously what the hell is going on over @ Blockbuster?! No wonder they are failing.

Personally I'll pass on this deal. Morally I just cant do it :)

For everybody signing up, please watch your account carefully.

[quote name='$hady']Got my welcome and item shipped email today at the same time. Couple days late on both haha.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that. I was on the fence even with it free due to all the odd reports of games but no emails and stuff.

Signed up. Put some absolute stinkers in the list due to a competition I am in, and even those are listed with wait times. I can not find a single thing available now.

Signed up Wednesday, "Short Wait" Batman AC was shipped yesterday and will APPARENTLY arrive Monday. It's a bit of a long shipping time, but damn it if it isn't free.

I finally got my first email from them: that they received the DVD I sent back. It was 2-days return as well, so it looks like 2 days each way (for me).

[quote name='drysushi']Ordered first game when I signed up after this was posted. Enslaved arrived yesterday, much quicker than Netflix.[/QUOTE]

How is this possible? Do they deliver same day? :lol: I thought Netflix was always 1-day delivery, at least for most people (since they have so many distribution centers). I can't imagine Blockbuster has nearly as many so for most people it will be more than 1 day each way.

For me Netflix is 1-day each way (that is, they mail me something Tuesday, I get it Weds). For my one item so far, Blockbuster has been 2-day. However, Blockbuster also seems to have a "handling" time where they don't send something right away. So add another day or two in there. Netflix always sends my next disc out the day they get my last one.

But again, it's free, so I'm not complaining - just trying to understand how any part of it is quicker than Netflix ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Email title is
Like It? Keep Dungeon Siege III at a huge discount‏

Inside it says: Rent It, Like It, Keep It lets you buy select movie and game rentals that we've already shipped to you for a 25% discount off of our already low previously viewed prices.

They want $41 for a game that's not even $25 new at most places.

In all honesty, I was about to sign up for this but I decided not to. I feel like I am helping a suffering animal stay alive just that much longer. I was one of the people Blockbuster raped time and time again with their ridiculous late fees. Rather than take part in this deal and maybe get a couple games here and there to play for free, I would rather just watch at a distance as the Blockbuster ship continues to sink and burn. Besides, my backlog is so massive that I highly doubt they would have anything worthwhile that I don't already have.

Basically, thanks but no thanks.

Got my movie today, estimated delivery was tomorrow. Ships and returns to Houston for me. Netflix was Baton Rouge for me.

[quote name='io']I finally got my first email from them: that they received the DVD I sent back. It was 2-days return as well, so it looks like 2 days each way (for me).

How is this possible? Do they deliver same day? :lol: I thought Netflix was always 1-day delivery, at least for most people (since they have so many distribution centers). I can't imagine Blockbuster has nearly as many so for most people it will be more than 1 day each way.

For me Netflix is 1-day each way (that is, they mail me something Tuesday, I get it Weds). For my one item so far, Blockbuster has been 2-day. However, Blockbuster also seems to have a "handling" time where they don't send something right away. So add another day or two in there. Netflix always sends my next disc out the day they get my last one.

But again, it's free, so I'm not complaining - just trying to understand how any part of it is quicker than Netflix ;).[/QUOTE]

My personal experiences with Netflix has been a week wait time for them shipping out to me.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Apparently that link is to their dead promotion of a free month, so watch your cards in case they fix the glitch. They fixed mine apparently.

I just called and explained my situation, and since my account was already cancelled they just credited the 10.76 I spent back to my account. I'll see in a few days if it does actually show back up, but it was fairly painless.

If I recall correctly, didn't you have trouble getting cash back because you kept games/movies beyond the 30 days after your subscription was canceled and they charged you for them?

*EDIT* Might have been someone else in that other thread about the 2month free trial, so if it's not you I apologize in advance.[/QUOTE]

So since they I called and refunded me the 10.76 they charged me, they've sent my Paypal account 10.76 everyday netting in 4 10.76 payments to my Paypal account...

I'm conflicted.. lol. Should I call and report that they are sending me free money everyday?

Anyone else had this "issue" before?

So my Dante's Inferno disc came in broken. It looks like someone stepped on it, I can't believe Blockbuster doesn't check these things. I'm going to be pissed if I have to pay for this...

This has to be the slowest, worst-stocked DVD-by-mail service ever. It seems like 90% of the games have a "very long wait". Can't they pull from their (once) extensive line of B&M stores to make things faster? Why can't I walk into any store and exchange a GAME with something on the shelves? Why only movies?

Oh well! At least I'm getting to play through Shadows of the Damned for free. Judging by the speed of the service, it'll be the only game I get in six months.

My game disc just arrived broken in half! And half the time I get a blu ray movie that would skip , I always reported them, now my acct is flagged for unusual activity so they won't ship anything til they received the broken disc

[quote name='perfectsil']My game disc just arrived broken in half! And half the time I get a blu ray movie that would skip , I always reported them, now my acct is flagged for unusual activity so they won't ship anything til they received the broken disc[/QUOTE]

Luckily I live near the warehouse where they ship them (Dallas) so I won't have to wait long. I'm just glad I didn't have to pay for it. 0

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']So my Dante's Inferno disc came in broken. It looks like someone stepped on it, I can't believe Blockbuster doesn't check these things. I'm going to be pissed if I have to pay for this...[/QUOTE]

Not to say I told you so but... I told you so.

Anyways make sure to keep the defective disc so they don't send it to you again.

[quote name='matrix9280']Not to say I told you so but... I told you so.

Anyways make sure to keep the defective disc so they don't send it to you again.[/QUOTE]

Uh what do you mean I told you so. It doesn't really bother me unless they charge as I still get six months for free. I was well aware of the crappy service and condition before "you told me so".

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']Uh what do you mean I told you so. It doesn't really bother me unless they charge as I still get six months for free. I was well aware of the crappy service and condition before "you told me so".[/QUOTE]

Keep being unbothered by broken games for the next 6 months. And I'll keep saying I told you so.

585552946-Internet_fight.gif

So, I'm going to try to talk about this without bashing Blockbuster like everyone else is seeming to do....because I actually enjoyed the service.

When I was on the 2-month, 3-disc free trial I had ONE broken disc and that was it. This was literally out of 30+ games I received from them. A majority of the discs were in almost perfect condition too, so people complaining about getting discs in terrible shape is strange to me when I consider my experience. The one time I did have a broken disc, it was cracked in the center, and I simply reported it on their site. I received a new copy within a week (in new condition), and traded the broken copy out at a store for an in-store rental. Was pretty easy and I wasn't angry at all. My kids loved the change-up of games and I felt like for FREE I got a great value.

Now regarding the broken discs... let's use our brains here for a second (strange to think about that now-a-days, eh?) and instead of blaming Blockbuster for broken discs, how about we blame USPS for damaging the discs in the first place. After all, I honestly don't believe Blockbuster would send out broken discs just to piss off customers. I agree that Blockbuster's 3 complaints and you are flagged policy is messed up, but if you keep getting broken discs, I would start pointing the finger at USPS and complain to them vs getting all pissy at Blockbuster.

And this has been mentioned already, but it is FREE. Aside from the slow sending speed I experienced in the last 2 weeks of my trial (wasn't sure if it was throttling because I was turning the discs around fast, or if my trial was ending soon) I would consider continuing the service if I could fit it into my budget.

Just a perspective from someone who actually enjoyed the service, and is tired of people resorting to acting like 7 year olds and saying "I told you so"

[quote name='Pojo']Why can't I walk into any store and exchange a GAME with something on the shelves? [/QUOTE]

I think you misunderstood, you *can* exchange a by-mail game in-store. From the BBV "Help" FAQs:

As a Blockbuster By Mail subscriber, you have the option to exchange your By Mail rentals for free in-store movie rentals including blu-ray and new releases or free non-new releases in-store game rentals (normally .99¢) at participating Blockbuster stores.
Use our Store Locator feature to search for participating stores in your area. For participating stores, you'll see "Yes" in the column labeled as Total Access.
Most Blockbuster By Mail plans include unlimited in-store exchanges per billing cycle.
Note: Franchise terms may vary. See your local Blockbuster store for more details.
Related Answer: In-store Exchange Issues

[quote name='Monoxide1986']
Now regarding the broken discs... let's use our brains here for a second (strange to think about that now-a-days, eh?) and instead of blaming Blockbuster for broken discs, how about we blame USPS for damaging the discs in the first place. After all, I honestly don't believe Blockbuster would send out broken discs just to piss off customers. I agree that Blockbuster's 3 complaints and you are flagged policy is messed up, but if you keep getting broken discs, I would start pointing the finger at USPS and complain to them vs getting all pissy at Blockbuster. [/QUOTE]

Maybe it's the mailman's fault the first time a disc is broken. When I receive the same broken disc as the replacement disc (on top of all the other problems) I'm blaming Blockbuster and their shitty service. I think that's more likely than some angry mailman going postal and breaking discs.

Blockbuster is getting absolutely massacred here! My experience has been very good so far. I don't have much of a want list, but i added about 10 games to the queue on Monday. Eternal Sonata (number 4 in my queue and a "short wait" title) was shipped out on Wednesday and it arrived on Friday. Disc is in "like new" condition and i have a Blockbuster not 5 miles from where i live that i can go to to exchange Eternal Sonata once i've completed it. Blockbuster's service certainly pales in comparison with Gamefly's and Netflix's, but for the sum of $0, i wouldn't be to upset about a few hiccups here and there

I opened up my account and added a couple of games to my queue and today, I received my first selected game Portal 2. It's free, can't really complain. Those with a sense of entitlement should just close their accounts, not complain and just move on.

bread's done
Back