Free documentary or book on Muhammad

alonzomourning23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Ran across this and thought it was a good deal. The DVD is a PBS documentary (link) and got good reviews. There's also a 13 minute clip available on the website. It seems pretty good if you want to better understand the islamic view of Muhammad. The book got excellent reviews on amazon (link) as well. You can't order multiples though, and can get either the book or DVD, not both. Here's the link for the free book or dvd:

http://www.cair-net.org/Muhammad/

I signed up for the dvd. Thanks op. Always good to expand ones horizons about information that is merky .. especially something as topical as this.

I got the book, thanks. And the above poster is correct, it's always wise to have a decent background before you ever think of discussing a topic as touchy as this one.

Hopefully you guys will understand a bit more about Islam from the book or DVD.:)

Thanks OP, in for the DVD. Not sure why I got it since I'm already Muslim but it'll be nice to have a copy.

Hopefully you guys will understand a bit more about Islam from the book or DVD.:)

Thanks OP, in for the DVD. Not sure why I got it since I'm already Muslim but it'll be nice to have a copy.

[quote name='Xizer']Signed up, considering setting it on fire in front of a mosque for comedy antics.[/quote]

Ass. :roll:

I almost snagged the book, but I have a heavy as hell reading list for my global terrorism class which covers a lot of preliminary history anyway.

[quote name='Vinny']Hopefully you guys will understand a bit more about Islam from the book or DVD.:)

Thanks OP, in for the DVD. Not sure why I got it since I'm already Muslim but it'll be nice to have a copy.[/quote]agreed. I'm a Muslim as well, and I've seen parts of the documentary on PBS already, but its quite well done and its always good to know history, whether its your own or someone else's.

Its only a touchy subject for people too brain-dead to discuss their religious beliefs in an objective fashion.....

The reason Islam is getting a bad rap today is that they refuse to police their own. They condemn terrorist acts made in the name of Islam, but they do nothing to stop or prevent the issue from within the closed doors of Mosque's.

If all peace-seeking Muslims were identifying and pointing out the crazy radicals who commit violence (blowing up of women and children will get you into heaven?) in the name of Allah, their image would improve significantly.

I should add that this is in no way a criticisim of the religion of Islam. Any religion that preaches peace and brotherhood is ok in my book.

But as usuall, it only takes a handfull of angry guys with nothing better to do than to twist the meanings to make them suit their own purposes and ruin it for the whole.
Same thing happened in Christianity, and in some ways still does to this day.

Interesting. I'm teaching a class on Islam in about a month so this could be helpful. My luck will be that it'll arrive hours after the last class is out ;)

[quote name='daroga']Interesting. I'm teaching a class on Islam in about a month so this could be helpful. My luck will be that it'll arrive hours after the last class is out ;)[/QUOTE]

What will the specific topic be? I'm interested to see the course description, if you have one.

[quote name='Diiz']What will the specific topic be? I'm interested to see the course description, if you have one.[/quote]It's not a course in a college or anything, but a course for our church on Islam--it's history, and a comparison of its teachings and the teachings in the Bible. A lot of people have a lot of questions on the topic of Islam, so I hope to answer some of them. I'm learning a metric ton just doing the prep work for it.

Durka durka Muhammed (pbuh) jihad?

I'm in for the book, thanks. I read four (long) books on Muslim history last summer and bought two of them (along with the Qur'an and the Hadith), this will go well in my collection.

Ah ok daroga, good luck with that =) I've read a few books on the lineage leading to modern Islam that were pretty interesting. It is a complex subject, but jihad is an interesting concept in itself. I'm not so sure a non-Muslim is capable of fully answering questions on Islam, but there are some striking similarities between the beliefs of Muslims and the "people of the book" or Ahl al-Kitab.

[quote name='Diiz']Ah ok daroga, good luck with that =) I've read a few books on the lineage leading to modern Islam that were pretty interesting. It is a complex subject, but jihad is an interesting concept in itself. I'm not so sure a non-Muslim is capable of fully answering questions on Islam, but there are some striking similarities between the beliefs of Muslims and the "people of the book" or Ahl al-Kitab.[/quote]Oh, I'm convinced I'll get a boatload of questions that I cannot answer. One of my first things for the class is to tell them that there will be questions I cannot answer and will try to find some sort of an answer. Now that I know there's at least a few Muslims here on CAG, I may look to ask on here for some input on certain questions.

Wow. Some flamebait "nobody asked your opinion" type stuff and a half dozen "creative" Team America jokes and it was all ignored. I'm ... proud of you today, CAG. You're ... *sniff* ... becoming a man.

[quote name='trq']Wow. Some flamebait "nobody asked your opinion" type stuff and a half dozen "creative" Team America jokes and it was all ignored. I'm ... proud of you today, CAG. You're ... *sniff* ... becoming a man.[/quote]

Because everyone's got ai- *gets shot*

Thanks OP! In for a DVD. I remember a few months back I signed up somewhere for a free copy of the Qu'ran, but I forgot where I got it from. Interesting read.

About a year ago, CAIR was offering free copies of the Quran, so I signed up. Imagine my surprise about 3 months later when a HUGE hardcover, leatherbound Quran arrived. The thing is like 15lbs. I was expecting a little paperback like the bibles they hand out on street corners. Guess these guys are serious about improving the public's conception of Islam.

Haven't gotten around to taking a look since I have quite enough school reading, but I think it's something important to have.

They may have changed their offering. I know it was taking them quite awhile to procure enough copies to fulfill all the requests they got (hence the 3 months between my request and delivery...others waited much longer than I did), so they might have been forced to shift gears. Check out the CAIR site and see if you can find a signup page.

Thanks, I'm learning about Islam in school at the moment. I'll have to link this to my instructor, as I think he'd be interested.

Im Iranian
i will not watch a documentary about any man who brought such a propostorous religion and faith to my holy land
my only religion is Iranism

[quote name='DFC222']Im Iranian
i will not watch a documentary about any man who brought such a propostorous religion and faith to my holy land
my only religion is Iranism[/quote]
As a fellow Persian (non Islamic), I can say you're a mistaken, ignorant fool.

[quote name='thehoo']As a fellow Persian (non Islamic), I can say you're a mistaken, ignorant fool.[/quote]
imagine where we would be if we were all zartosht
none of us would have islamic names
freedom in Iran
and a globally recognized people
It crushes me that just because Iran is a largely Muslim state, that everyone thinks we are arabs

bread's done
Back