(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jacknicklson']I have cancelled orders and the codes stuck to my account for next time.[/QUOTE]

That's what I though, but I'm worried about missing my 50% off one game code. Either way, just have to wait.

That would also mean the code will be forced on my next order if I cancel, so I can't cancel any order in which I used the 50% off code cause it will be applied on the next order I do no matter what. Mmmmh.

[quote name='jacknicklson']I have cancelled orders and the codes stuck to my account for next time.[/QUOTE]

Hm . . . I wonder if that would work with the 50% code too, if I were to cancel and then place a new order to add an ECA code. I'm afraid to try it, anyone else in the same situation want to play guinea pig? :lol:

So the codes work on all items in an order, but you can only use one per day?

I'm happy to have the codes back at all but it seems like we can never have it all with these guys. I mean, I guess this could be seen as a reasonable step forward towards linking accounts...

[quote name='arcane93']Hm . . . I wonder if that would work with the 50% code too, if I were to cancel and then place a new order to add an ECA code. I'm afraid to try it, anyone else in the same situation want to play guinea pig? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I would usually have gone and done it and played guinea pig (honestly), but I also have no reason at all unless my MW2: collectors edition changes or something else comes along, so I can't try it, but would like an idea if anybody has done this or something very similar in the past before.

I think the OP should put in the title that they expire on 9/30/09.

That's a good addition that ECA did.... since some wouldn't have had their panties all twisted if they warned us ahead of time.

For anybody asking i just canceled my batman ce order with the 50% off coupon to order it again with the eca discount code and the 50% code just stuck with my account so there is no fear in losing it

[quote name='xycury']I think the OP should put in the title that they expire on 9/30/09.

That's a good addition that ECA did.... since some wouldn't have had their panties all twisted if they warned us ahead of time.[/QUOTE]

So just to clarify, they are going to discontinue this program completely 9/30? Or just these particular codes expire 9/30 and we'll have to get a new "batch" after that?

[quote name='turls']So just to clarify, they are going to discontinue this program completely 9/30? Or just these particular codes expire 9/30 and we'll have to get a new "batch" after that?[/QUOTE]

No, the other codes had an expiration date, but they didn't inform anyone. Now they are informing people when the new batch of codes expire.

I wonder if someone is willing to cancel their ECA order today and reorder the same item with more games to see if the Eca code would still work.

[quote name='xycury']I think the OP should put in the title that they expire on 9/30/09.

That's a good addition that ECA did.... since some wouldn't have had their panties all twisted if they warned us ahead of time.[/QUOTE]
We don't know for sure if they will expire again. Also, the ECA has not confirmed anything with the one-per-day policy.

It's better to wait for a solid response from them in their Forums before changing the OP. At this point, everything is pure speculation.

That gives them about 3 or so weeks to get the codes up in time for Black Friday!

It says in the member section that they expire on the 30th so it should go in the OP for new recruits

I cancelled my order for Demon Souls LE. Then I made a new order for Demon Souls LE and Muramasa Demon Blade. Got the discount on both. So looks like the ECA code sticks to your account at least for the day.

[quote name='TLtheKing']For anybody asking i just canceled my batman ce order with the 50% off coupon to order it again with the eca discount code and the 50% code just stuck with my account so there is no fear in losing it[/QUOTE]

Hrm . . . I just called Amazon customer support and asked them whether I'd be able to get the 50% discount on something else if I were to cancel my order and place another one, and the guy told me no, it can only be used once, and if I were to cancel the order it would be lost. He sounded kinda confused, though, so I don't know whether to trust what he told me or not.

Damn. I had Halo Reach in my Gold Box today. Decided to pass and pick up the EA Fit MP pack because my wife has been asking for it and the price is low to begin with. Oh well.

Wait...so are you guys saying the 50% off code will stack w/ the ECA code? I'm confused. :p

At any rate, this is great timing. Amazon just put R&CF: A Crack In Time in my gold box today. Got a preorder locked down now for $48.xx after coupon. :)

[quote name='oscargrouch']I cancelled my order for Demon Souls LE. Then I made a new order for Demon Souls LE and Muramasa Demon Blade. Got the discount on both. So looks like the ECA code sticks to your account at least for the day.[/QUOTE]

Thanks For checking worked for me too.

[quote name='somahead33']Damn. I had Halo Reach in my Gold Box today. Decided to pass and pick up the EA Fit MP pack because my wife has been asking for it and the price is low to begin with. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Kinda off topic how do you set up a personal gold box on amazon? I thought the gold box deals were for all. Anyway I think I'm going to join becuase with Madden 10 and hopefully a G25 race wheel or a tournament stick this will pay for itself.

Edit: Sorry about the above I don't believe this can be used on gaming accessories.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']We don't know for sure if they will expire again. Also, the ECA has not confirmed anything with the one-per-day policy.

It's better to wait for a solid response from them in their Forums before changing the OP. At this point, everything is pure speculation.[/QUOTE]
ECA just posted on their site that this batch will expire on 9/30/2009, so we know that for certain.

[quote name='Lucian']ECA just posted on their site that this batch will expire on 9/30/2009, so we know that for certain.[/QUOTE]

Well lets hope they have a new batch ready to go by 9/29 and we don't have to wait 10 days

[quote name='ChernobylCow']You beat me :). Glad they're back. Too bad I missed out on using them for Prototype yesterday. But hell, getting mad at a nonprofit is stupid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah because non-profits are never corrupt.

trying to get mirror's edge using the new code but wondering
if you item is in your shopping list would it appear in your gold box?? i never really notice it

I just signed up for the ECA Membership becuase it will be free after using my 50% off code...anyway

Question: For the ECA discount. How does Amazon.com know that you are a member once you obtain a code? i.e. If I gave a code to my brother could he use the code? Does the email address that Amazon.com has have to match the one that the ECA has? Thanks for the help

[quote name='Lucian']ECA just posted on their site that this batch will expire on 9/30/2009, so we know that for certain.[/QUOTE]
Updated the OP.

[quote name='arcane93']Hrm . . . I just called Amazon customer support and asked them whether I'd be able to get the 50% discount on something else if I were to cancel my order and place another one, and the guy told me no, it can only be used once, and if I were to cancel the order it would be lost. He sounded kinda confused, though, so I don't know whether to trust what he told me or not.[/QUOTE]

Never call amazon customer service. Most of the time they have no idea what there talking about.
As much as I love amazon, there over the phone customer service is some of the worst.

[quote name='NJMane']I just signed up for the ECA Membership becuase it will be free after using my 50% off code...anyway

Question: For the ECA discount. How does Amazon.com know that you are a member once you obtain a code? i.e. If I gave a code to my brother could he use the code? Does the email address that Amazon.com has have to match the one that the ECA has? Thanks for the help[/QUOTE]

I doubt they'd check, but I don't think it is a good idea to be handing out codes to non-members. You could order the game for him and have him pay you for it, though.

amazon's phone customer service is not the worst, it is pretty good if you make yourself clear and be nice to them. i believe any promo, discount codes, or gift cards you use will be refreshed to use on your next order, if you cancel the current order that it applies to.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']We don't know for sure if they will expire again. Also, the ECA has not confirmed anything with the one-per-day policy.

It's better to wait for a solid response from them in their Forums before changing the OP. At this point, everything is pure speculation.[/QUOTE]

2vsjgut.jpg

I'm guessing you're not an ECA member....?

And I'm guessing a BIG BOLD sentence is still pure speculation.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']Updated the OP.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!, take my image too if you want to repost it in the OP.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but what's the 50% off deal with Batman CE? I searched this board and checked the Amazon listing, but didn't see anything.

[quote name='xycury']

I'm guessing you're not an ECA member....?

And I'm guessing a BIG BOLD sentence is still pure speculation.

Thanks!, take my image too if you want to repost it in the OP.[/QUOTE]
I missed that the first time I logged in. As stated a page ago, the OP has been updated to reflect the expiration date.

Apparently the codes don't work with gold box promotion/price? I tried it with 2 games in my gold box and it states that the codes can't be used.

I ordered four games off Amazon and got the ECA discount on all of them. I changed my order a bunch of times and can confirm that the 10% off doesn't apply to titles sold by third-party vendors. Any item that doesn't say "Ships from and sold by Amazon" on the product page probably won't work with the discount.

If you are considering joining ECA for the discount, you might want to keep that in mind, since a lot of the cheapest games on Amazon are sold by other vendors.

I bought ratchet and clank's next game from my gold box with the eca code and it worked for me. I think the gold box item promo can only go to one item from your gold box. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads-up! Code issues aside, I am still 110% happy to simply be an ECA member. I know how hard it is to wrangle discounts and promotions having done a lot of fundraising for groups I was in during college, so on the whole the ECA has an overall great set of discounts and promos. The Amazon one is obviously the best one, but I'm glad to support some of the smaller businesses they have deals with, too.

[quote name='Pck21']Apparently the codes don't work with gold box promotion/price? I tried it with 2 games in my gold box and it states that the codes can't be used.[/QUOTE]
No idea why that's happening for you, because it's working just fine for me. I just tried it with Wii Sports Resort in my gold box.. $46.99 -$2.35 -$4.70 = $39.94... too bad I don't care about the Wii. :lol:

[quote name='Pck21']Apparently the codes don't work with gold box promotion/price? I tried it with 2 games in my gold box and it states that the codes can't be used.[/QUOTE]

I was able to use my first new code on a gold box item, but none of my codes after the first one are working and I've tried several games.

I get this message:

"We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions."

Some others on the ECA forum are having the same issue and I posted on there also.

[quote name='GenDV138']I was able to use my first new code on a gold box item, but none of my codes after the first one are working and I've tried several games.

I get this message:

"We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions."

Some others on the ECA forum are having the same issue and I posted on there also.[/QUOTE]

Read the thread! Honestly, just try a little and you will see the codes work only once per day apparently now, so you already use the ECA code for today. But you can use multiple games per code now, so maybe you can add the other games to today's order or cancel and order multiple games on one order again.

Sorry for the noob question but what are these Amazon "Gold Box" game deals everyone is talking about that seem to be unique to the user. My gold box just shows the regular non-gaming deals and then when I click on the "gold box" link near the top it takes me to the same page. Any help?

[quote name='woodcan']Sorry for the noob question but what are these Amazon "Gold Box" game deals everyone is talking about that seem to be unique to the user. My gold box just shows the regular non-gaming deals and then when I click on the "gold box" link near the top it takes me to the same page. Any help?[/QUOTE]

It's on the same page as the gold box deals, but if you scroll down, there should be a section of Quick Picks. They aren't always games, but usually the items that pop up are related to items you've bought on Amazon or own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back