(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
can you guys tell me what im doin wrong? my QP took a 360 and is showing me all garbage w/ stuff not related to my recommendations. where it says recommendations all I see are video games, cleared my browsing history, etc. but lately day after day I see no vid game items at all in my QP

There is no science to it. My recommendations are filled with items I rarely see. Usually after a recommendation overhaul things are good for a bit but then you get offered crap. Buying video game related items usually throws you back on track.

There is no right or wrong things to do, just keep experimenting.

[quote name='michaelericalonzo']can you guys tell me what im doin wrong? my QP took a 360 and is showing me all garbage w/ stuff not related to my recommendations. where it says recommendations all I see are video games, cleared my browsing history, etc. but lately day after day I see no vid game items at all in my QP[/QUOTE]
I have the same issue. I've pretty much given up after turning off my browsing history and clicking through tons of non-gaming stuff telling Amazon to not use it for recommendations. Last few days has been nothing but Stargate crap which aren't even in my recommendations pages so I can't mark them "not interested".

exactly! i fixed my recommendations so they would somehow "guide "my QP into showing games I want to get. Worked great for 1 week. Then it started showign 1 games a day to nothing at all. Point is I dont wanna buy a video game to "get it back on track" when I know I couldve gotten more off its price . Am I out of options?

[quote name='Techsticles']I have the same issue. I've pretty much given up after turning off my browsing history and clicking through tons of non-gaming stuff telling Amazon to not use it for recommendations. Last few days has been nothing but Stargate crap which aren't even in my recommendations pages so I can't mark them "not interested".[/QUOTE]

LOL.. all my stuff is Stargate too.

[quote name='gi60']^There are days that all QP is the same for everybody..[/QUOTE]
Sometimes I think they use Quick Picks to push specific products... I remember a while back I had all Twilight books and soundtrack CDs, and some other people mentioned having all Twilight stuff around the same time.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Sometimes I think they use Quick Picks to push specific products... I remember a while back I had all Twilight books and soundtrack CDs, and some other people mentioned having all Twilight stuff around the same time.[/QUOTE]

They had pushed all MJ stuff too... I remember at least 2 days with books/cds and stuff just of MJ.

I think when some popular products sell like crazy, it gets them associated with all sorts of crap that they wouldn't normally be related to.

For that reason, I keep the AAA titles set at "don't use for recommendations" and it seems to help. I have an average of 3-5 games in my quick picks each day. There are a couple times a week though where some products seem to end up on everyone's picks regardless of relation to what the bought. So it wouldn't supprise me if some companies get to use it for ad space... :/

Hey are the ECA codes working for anyone today? I've tried on a couple games today and all I get is "We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions." One of the games is sold directly by Amazon. Why the heck isn't it working?

I've been a member for about 2 hours now and already got my 20 bucks back... and then some! (Of course allot of it was canceling/reissuing my previous preorders so not all of the savings has actually shipped but you get the picture.)

This seems too good to be true. Already recouped half my membership fee on one order. The discount was applied to my entire order, not one game, as the instructions on the ECA site indicated.

I'm trying to sign up for a membership but I can't get it to work. I've created an account and verified my e-mail, but I can't access the member section. It says that I have to be logged in to view the content, but I am logged in. I've tried on multiple computers and e-mailed support. They told me to try it again. =\

Any thoughts?

[quote name='Amneisac']I'm trying to sign up for a membership but I can't get it to work. I've created an account and verified my e-mail, but I can't access the member section. It says that I have to be logged in to view the content, but I am logged in. I've tried on multiple computers and e-mailed support. They told me to try it again. =\

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Have you paid yet, it sounds like you haven't?

The second e-mail with a link to pay comes a few hours after the initial registration e-mail.

[quote name='forgot2panic']The discount was applied to my entire order, not one game, as the instructions on the ECA site indicated.[/QUOTE]

That changed a little while ago, it used to be one code per item. Guess they haven't updated.

And yeah, the codes are pretty awesome. Saved 4.30$ on a ps3 controller, 9$ on batman CE, locked in FFXIIIvs in my goldbox so another 6$(when it comes out in like 3 years lol) and 1.30$ on a hori ds stand. Trying to get brutal legend and demon's souls in my goldbox but whenever I do end up ordering that'll be another 13 off those two games. Having the trade in promotions and eca probably tipped a LOT of peoples scales and they'll be shopping at amazon for a good while.

I still cannot PAY for my ECA membership. Damn .edu address. This is complete BS. I wonder what the hell is going on. I e-mail mutliple times to different contact accounts.

yeah, suddenly my quick picks are all woretheless and it ssupper annoying, really want to get a few games or accessories. Would love fifa to go in there.

For whatever reason the ECA codes are automatically applying to anything videogame related I throw in my cart but not allowing me to use other promo codes. Anyone have this problem?

ECA just paid for itself with one purchase at Amazon :p

Item(s) Subtotal: $320.94
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Promotion Applied: -$32.09
-----
Total Before Tax: $288.85
Estimated Tax: $0.00
-----
Grand Total: $288.85

Buying those at a B&M store would have cost me $350 or more once all discounts and taxes are accounted for. Saving $60-70 makes me happy.

Gold box today

Zelda spirt tracks for 29.58 or Golden sun for 29.58 or monster hunter unit for 23 something

others
Scribblenauts think 28
Mana Khemia 2: Fall Of Alchemy 37

grabbed golden sun... though i doubt it never fills

Amazon.com – get 10% off your games purchases at Amazon.com. Simply download coupon codes from the Benefits section once logged-in to your account. Then apply the code at checkout at Amazon.com. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it. (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

YES!!!!

[quote name='io']^^ Just curious, what was that? ;)[/QUOTE]

FFXIII - PS3
God of War III - PS3
Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty - PC
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Wii
Assassin's Creed II - PS3
God of War: Collection - PS3

just for laughs, in my Gold Box Quick Picks today, I received the God of War 1/2 collection for PS3, as well as...

Ti-84+ graphic calculator
Hoover Windtunnel Agitator Belt
Canon MP620 printer
Black and Decker NPP2018 Cordless pole saw

No, I don't know how I got those other items in my gold box.

Finally bit the bullet and joined. Quick question, if anyone knows the answer...

I have some credit on my girlfriend's Amazon account because of some trade-ins that I submitted through her. Will I be able to use the discount code from my ECA membership to place an order on her Amazon account, or will it only work on mine?

[quote name='slickkill77']Amazon.com – get 10% off your games purchases at Amazon.com. Simply download coupon codes from the Benefits section once logged-in to your account. Then apply the code at checkout at Amazon.com. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it. (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

YES!!!!
[/QUOTE]

why does it say 1 coupon per game when i had 3 games in cart and it took 10% off each

What the fuck? My quick picks have been nothing but games lately but today it went to hell

-Eureka ENVIRO STEAMER
-Maytag UKF8001 Puriclean II Refrigerator Cyst Water...
-Fringe: The Complete First Season
-Rubbermaid 4D06 Configurations 23-Inch Foldable...
-Star Trek (Three-Disc +Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] (already pre-ordered this!!!)
-Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter WTF I have never even searched for anything remotely close to cofee on Amazon.
-Quantum of Solace [Blu-ray]
-Mad Men - Season One

[quote name='rpnguyen']No, I don't know how I got those other items in my gold box.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='anubis20'] WTF I have never even searched for anything remotely close to cofee on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

That's ok, for some reason my quick picks lately have featured an alarming number of racoon, rat, and mouse traps. I have no idea why, as I've never even looked at anything remotely close to that on Amazon (um, I guess I did order a Microsoft Laser Mouse a few years ago?), and I certainly don't have a rodent problem. I think Amazon must be having some serious issues with their quick pick algorithm.

All I want is for Persona to show up in my gold box, dammit! :bomb:

[quote name='arcane93']racoon, rat, and mouse traps.[/QUOTE]

lol that is even better than my cordless pole saw and hoover windtunnel agitator belt

A lot of pages to wade thru but is this how the ECA works?

Signup for 19$ a year.
Goto ECA website to get a code that is used once per day?
Go preorder like 5 games, use that code.
That codes vanishes.

A few days later I want to buy something in stock (ex. Punch Out)
I goto the ECA website get a new code and finish the order

On a side note why don't gold box picks pull from your Wish list? Is there something amazon don't like about this?

That's how it works. 20$ to sign up, 15$ with .edu or .mil e-mail. You press a button in your member area to generate a new code to use.

[quote name='DS9'] On a side note why don't gold box picks pull from your Wish list? Is there something amazon don't like about this?[/QUOTE]

My guess, especially since having things on your wish list is apparently a good way to have them not show up in your gold box, would be that they figure that you're likely to eventually buy the things on your wish list anyway, whereas with the gold box they're trying to entice you into buying things that you wouldn't normally buy.

I got Halo 3 ODST in my gold box today. So I can get it for $40.99 with the gold box, ECA discount plus the 10 gift card. I'm thinking about just flipping the game and returning it to Wal-Mart.

[quote name='DefeatUForever']I got Halo 3 ODST in my gold box today. So I can get it for $40.99 with the gold box, ECA discount plus the 10 gift card. I'm thinking about just flipping the game and returning it to Wal-Mart.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't think aloud on that stuff on CAG.

I signed up for the ECA because games had been recently appearing in my gold box. Such as Infamous, Batman, and Halo ODST. Until I actually signed up.

But at least now I can finally keep my pantry free of pests with the 'Pantry Pest Trap.' Except I don't have a pantry.

There should be a stickied thread about Amazon + ECA + manipulating the gold box. It is easily one of the best ways to get some of the best deals around without having to compete during sales.

For anyone that doesn't know to get more games in your box, on Amazon click "Recommendations" up top, then "see all recommendations". Anything that is getting you non-games listed (it tells you why it was recommended) click "Fix This" then "Don't use for recommendations". Even a few games tend to link to way off topic things (I've had random books recommended as a result of Mario Galaxy 2 for example). Since I did this about a week ago I haven't gotten any quick picks other than games.

And for curiosity... does anyone know what happens to be getting those mouse traps listed for you all? lol.

Nvm :) Looks like Jodou already has it included in his. I hadn't thought to check there yet.

Hi:

I signed up for the newsletter and I have received one, but the site will not let me sign up for a membership.

does anyone know if they are accepting new members or why the site will not let new members pay?

Thanks
Kevin

[quote name='Raider']It's not letting me sign up either. Very odd. Anyone know more?[/QUOTE]

I initially signed up with aol and never got the next email to purchase an account, than I changed my email address to my gmail account and had them resend the email and it worked.

The weird stuff that randomly appears in a Gold Box, if you've already turned off your browsing history and gone through all of your recommendations, is a result of someone buying the same video games as you / buying the same video games that you're interested in / have been suggested to you. Sometimes people buy weird stuff along with their video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back