(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='teaberry']Alright, hopefully someone who isn't a lurker would get to use these.

66AN-YGPKUW-75ZJLH
66WS-SWZMUA-WJZMGP[/QUOTE]

eh...you could let ppl msg you to get the code...

Please don't. I'd rather not. I kinda believe in an honor system and also not bugging ppl for codes via PM. I'm also seeing how ppl are on CAG when it comes to these things (on Slickdeals, ppl actually post "USED" when they use a one-time code).

[quote name='Jonsoncao']eh...you could let ppl msg you to get the code...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shrike4242']No more begging/offering of codes. We're done with that. Cheapy closed the thread that sprouted from the begging this morning, so I'd take that as a sign we're done with it.

As stated above, no more begging/offering of codes.[/QUOTE]

To the dude above... best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ordoabchao']I haven't seen this mentioned, but Amazon changed their policy on orders that have promotional discounts applied. If you ordered multiple games in one order with the eca code(s), after a game ships from that order, you can no longer cancel any remaining games in the order. This is a distinct change from their old policy, and I have seen people mention some pretty crazy order totals, also mentioning they could just cancel the ones they don't want. So I just wanted to give a heads up and make sure everyone is aware of the new policy. (I guess you could still refuse to accept the delivery?)[/QUOTE]

This is simply not true.

As others explained, that simply applies to buy 1 get something type deals where the discount on the non-cancelled item is dependent on you ordering the cancelled item. It shouldn't effect 10% codes (like ECA) since they just come off every item - no big deal to cancel one.

In the case of the $30 trade-in codes what happens when you cancel is you get back the portion of the code that was applied to that specific game. They are just split up proportionally amongst all the games you ordered. I assume it is the same with the $10 game credits (from Kingdom Hearts DS or ODST for example).

[quote name='teaberry']Alright, hopefully someone who isn't a lurker would get to use these.

66AN-YGPKUW-75ZJLH
66WS-SWZMUA-WJZMGP[/QUOTE]

Someone used them already.

[quote name='reddog1083']I guess it is all the GIMAG code users that broke it? Hopefully it gets back up soon.[/QUOTE]

It was the "stacking" of the ECA codes that was an issue. The GIMAG code is for a free 1 year membership when registering at theeca.com and is still valid.

Using the ECA is still a good way to get 10% off games as long as they get the stacking problem taken care of and put the codes back up. Hopefully that happens extremely soon because I want to order my damn copy of Demon's Souls.

[quote name='io']
You have to pay for return shipping so that's not really a great option.[/QUOTE]
I believe Amazon CS has mentioned you can get around that by refusing the shipment. But supposedly excessive returns have gotten people banned for some reason, so still possibly not a great option.

[quote name='botticus']I believe Amazon CS has mentioned you can get around that by refusing the shipment. But supposedly excessive returns have gotten people banned for some reason, so still possibly not a great option.[/QUOTE]Correct on both counts.

If you do use their return shipping label to send back an item, it's $3.99 for the first item and $0.99 for each item after that. Media mail shipping on your own would be cheaper if you have to send something back on your own, which I've done previously.

They do keep an eye on how many refused shipments and returns you do in a certain period of time, though I think they're more concerned about refused shipments more than returns, since they're paying double shipment costs on return shipments.

Are you kidding me? I spent the past few days trying to get the game I want into the quick picks and now I FINALLY GOT IT IN MY GOLDBOX. Now they've stopped this temporarily? I need to order Uncharted 2 now because it comes out next week! This is exactly why I hate people who take advantage and abuse things like this. Seriously, what the hell...

[quote name='mdmola']Are you kidding me? I spent the past few days trying to get the game I want into the quick picks and now I FINALLY GOT IT IN MY GOLDBOX. Now they've stopped this temporarily? I need to order Uncharted 2 now because it comes out next week! This is exactly why I hate people who take advantage and abuse things like this. Seriously, what the hell...[/QUOTE]

This mostly sums it up for me. I recently signed up for ECA hoping to get the 10% off on Uncharted 2 and a few other games but cannot do so......because of stackers.

I'm kind of surprised they killed the newest codes first seeing as it's the older codes that were the problem. All this does is create potential for further stacking once the new codes are up and piss off everyone who is legitimately trying to use one 10% code. Not too bright, Amazon.

I checked New Super Mario Bros., and at least my 10% discount is still applied to it :whistle2:/ (and I think it's supposed to give me a $10 credit too, so $30 for what will be one of my favorite games this year, if it's on par with the DS one and not a spastic multiplayer game like all the videos make it out to be).

[quote name='mdmola']Are you kidding me? I spent the past few days trying to get the game I want into the quick picks and now I FINALLY GOT IT IN MY GOLDBOX. Now they've stopped this temporarily? I need to order Uncharted 2 now because it comes out next week! This is exactly why I hate people who take advantage and abuse things like this. Seriously, what the hell...[/QUOTE]

No offense but that is what you get for trying to save a dollar. The past month has had the ECA codes go down at least two times for other reasons. You should have did it when you had the chance instead of waiting til the last second to save a buck.

[quote name='bg88']This mostly sums it up for me. I recently signed up for ECA hoping to get the 10% off on Uncharted 2 and a few other games but cannot do so......because of stackers.[/QUOTE]

I bet you just joined for free too right? Are you a game informer subscriber? I doubt it. Everyone who used the gimag code abused the system. I am a paying member of ECA. So dont you come crying on here because of "Stackers" because you just abused the system as well.

Ironically I actually AM a Game Informer subscriber, love the magazine, AND payed separately for ECA, and don't mind at all :lol:

[quote name='Wolfpup']Ironically I actually AM a Game Informer subscriber, love the magazine, AND payed separately for ECA, and don't mind at all :lol:[/QUOTE]

Same here, but I already have my preorders done with ECA. Gotta love Amazon free shipping and no tax on my state.

[quote name='wildcpac']I bet you just joined for free too right? Are you a game informer subscriber? I doubt it. Everyone who used the gimag code abused the system. I am a paying member of ECA. So dont you come crying on here because of "Stackers" because you just abused the system as well.[/QUOTE]

Actually I joined last night and paid $19.99 so I am a paying customer. But thanks for being a dick about it. All I want is to use the 10% off codes, I had no intention of stacking. If I wanted to stack, I probably would have joined before last night wouldn't I? And no, I am not a Game Informer subscriber.

But once again, thank you for being a dick about it and assuming I joined to try and exploit this like a lot of people.

[quote name='bg88']Actually I joined last night and paid $19.99 so I am a paying customer. But thanks for being a dick about it. All I want is to use the 10% off codes, I had no intention of stacking. If I wanted to stack, I probably would have joined before last night wouldn't I?

But once again, thank you for being a dick about it and assuming I joined to try and exploit this like a lot of people.[/QUOTE]

This error was know since early (like 3am early) yesterday, Why pay for a 19.99 subscription you could have gotten free with an easy code and also with a current problem of not having the codes you wanted? Just curious, not trying to attack or anything, sounds like you could have done a little homework before spending 19.99 on a free subscription with no codes available.

I think you should all just shut up. I paid $19.99 to join, but if I were to join now I'd use the GI code even though I'm not a GI subscriber. If they wanted to prevent people without GI from signing up for free, then they should have put a little more thought into how they handled it. It's a sequence of letters and numbers. It's information. It's out there. Use it. If a game comes out and Gamestop offers a pre-order bonus in which you get a (universal) code to unlock some special feature of the game. Guess what? I'd use that too once the info was out there, even if I hadn't ordered from Gamestop. How's them apples?

[quote name='nightmare452']This error was know since early (like 3am early) yesterday, Why pay for a 19.99 subscription you could have gotten free with an easy code and also with a current problem of not having the codes you wanted? Just curious, not trying to attack or anything, sounds like you could have done a little homework before spending 19.99 on a free subscription with no codes available.[/QUOTE]

Actually I hadn't checked this topic in quite a while. I guess I assumed the Game Informer code was no longer working. Also if I would have known that there were no Amazon codes right now, I probably would have waited to sign up for ECA. For some reason I decided to check this thread after I signed up and paid for the ECA subscription.

[quote name='bg88']Actually I hadn't checked this topic in quite a while. I guess I assumed the Game Informer code was no longer working. Also if I would have known that there were no Amazon codes right now, I probably would have waited to sign up for ECA. For some reason I decided to check this thread after I signed up and paid for the ECA subscription.[/QUOTE]

Thats cool, it happens. Codes should be back in a day or two hopefully. (PS: I would have sent ya a code [have one # code unused], but they don't seem to work anymore, haven't tried them though)

Hey guys, any chance you think they'll go back up today? I'm a paid member and haven't abused, so now that I'd like to use my offer, I'm irked that I'm shut-out cuz of hoarders/stackers.... :bomb:

Just to clarify, has anyone checked any preorders they may have placed at an earlier time using the older codes, and STILL having their accounts show the proper 10% discount applied? Or should I be paranoid about losing a potential 10% on previously placed orders?

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']Just to clarify, has anyone checked any preorders they may have placed at an earlier time using the older codes, and STILL having their accounts show the proper 10% discount applied? Or should I be paranoid about losing a potential 10% on previously placed orders?[/QUOTE]
I checked my pre-orders this morning, and the total hasn't changed.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']Just to clarify, has anyone checked any preorders they may have placed at an earlier time using the older codes, and STILL having their accounts show the proper 10% discount applied? Or should I be paranoid about losing a potential 10% on previously placed orders?[/QUOTE]

None of my pre-orders have been effected. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Amazon could legally take the 10% promotion off an order and charge more than you agreed to pay at checkout. They would have to just cancel the orders entirely and I would be very shocked if that happened.

[quote name='Moravagine']None of my pre-orders have been effected. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Amazon could legally take the 10% promotion off an order and charge more than you agreed to pay at checkout. They would have to just cancel the orders entirely and I'll be very shocked if that happens.[/QUOTE]

Odds are they would contact you and ask you if you approve the change and if not, just cancel the order. They do that with delivery dates and such

Trust me, with all the BS you have to go through just to get anything done with a placed order, they would just cancel an order above all else. That won't happen, so you're being paranoid.

[quote name='Moravagine']None of my pre-orders have been effected. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Amazon could legally take the 10% promotion off an order and charge more than you agreed to pay at checkout. They would have to just cancel the orders entirely and I would be very shocked if that happened.[/QUOTE]
You're correct, the only thing they could do without notification/consent is cancel the orders. Changing the amount due would just leave them open to chargebacks.

Everything of mine is still the same, with the stacked codes. I can't imagine they'll screw you if you only have the 10% applied anyway.

[quote name='Jodou']Trust me, with all the BS you have to go through just to get anything done with a placed order, they would just cancel an order above all else. That won't happen, so you're being paranoid.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather be paranoid than out $30+ worth of discounts...

[quote name='Porksta']Ugh, Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition just can't ship fast enough. Here is hoping I keep that additional $15 off.[/QUOTE]

you will keep your $15 I grrennntee it

Is there a list of what the codes do/do not work on? Here is what I have found so far.

Do not work on:

PSN digital codes
Playstation 1 games sold by amazon
PC games listed as 'software' sold by amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back